Hotel El Ganzo
Cabo Azul Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$228
US$219
Great 4.5/5
Royal Solaris Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$197
  • Pool
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$259
US$252
  • Breakfast included
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$603
US$587
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$253
US$224
  • Pool
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$362
US$329
US$406
US$259
Good 3.5/5
  • Beachfront
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$488
US$407
  • Breakfast included
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort(San Jose del Cabo)
US$1,087
US$1,001
Excellent 5/5
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$284
US$235
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolbeach clubrecording studiodrunken sailorart installationssculpture gardenfree bikesterrace roomsushiflora farmshot tubquiet locationnew marinapuerto los cabossan josecevichemain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Only there for one night but can't wait to go back. Very nice hotel and staff couldn't be better (Raphael at the front desk was the man!). Rooms small but very nice and efficient with a boutique hotel feel. The rooftop pool was great as was the food served. Right by the hotel was the Drunken Sailor restaurant which I highly recommend (have the shrimp ceviche).

1  Thank Jesseaf
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Our stay at El Ganzo was nothing short of shambolic. We had the misfortune to stay here on new years eve 2012, and found it to be incredibly over priced- we booked a room with a jacuzzi, when we checked in we were shown to a room without, they finally moved us, the jacuzzi didn't work... the staff were rude, no one seemed to know what they were doing. The attention to detail in the rooms was lacking, dripping taps, doors that didn't close properly, and staff that just didn't care.

When we asked for local recommendations staff just tried to get us to stay in the hotel for the incredibly overpriced set menu and given the hotel is completely on its own at the end of the marina we were stuck. Because we didn't want the set menu we ordered room service, which was again overpriced and poor quality. Breakfast wasn't included in the rate either.

Our stay was a while back now, and the hotel had just opened. Given that recent reviews have been good can only assume that they've upped their game and the issues we experienced were teething problems, or would hope so. But we won't be risking it again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ruthizen
Ana M, General Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Hola Ruthizen,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences of our property.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of our property and its services during your stayed, we had just opened and we dealt with many issues, some unexpectedly. I truly apologize for all the inconveniences that you experienced, and would like you to know that ever since you stayed we implemented root cause solutions to many of these issues.

Ruthizen, I truly hope that part of your stay was enjoyable. Let me express yet again our apology for the shortcomings you encountered. When your travels bring you back to our beautiful city, I hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service to you again at su casa in Los Cabos.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Enrique Turcott

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Planned a last minute trip to San Jose, and picked El Ganzo based on the awesome reviews - even though there were only about 25 reviews thus far. The hotel is brand new, and is located right in the Marina outside of San Jose. It was exactly what we were looking for. Peaceful, quiet, absolutely stunning views. The exact opposite of a timeshare or all-inclusive hotel. Here is my take on the place:

Location: it is definitely outside of the Hotel Zone - a couple other little hotels in the area, but off the beaten path. It is a short cab ride to/from San Jose. It is not a "beachfront" hotel technically speaking, because you can't walk right out of the hotel to the beach, BUT, it has a small beach that they ferry you to and from (literally, just a ferry ride across the marina). There are no "private" beaches in the area, but this is as private as it gets. If you are looking for a peaceful, romantic place, and don't mind being away from town activities, El Ganzo has the perfect location.

Hotel Amenities: This hotel is absolutely stunning. Definitely built and designed through the mind of an artist. Each room is simple, small, but beyond tasteful in design. When you walk into the lobby, you will be taken aback by the thought put into each and every corner of the space. There is a beautiful floor to ceiling bookshelf where people take and leave books for other travelers. Even though I had brought several of my own books, I picked up "Still Alice" off the shelf, and couldn't put it down for the rest of the vacation. The book itself was intriguing, and there was something really intimate about knowing that another traveler along the way had read the book on the same beach. I loved the way they used the reclaimed wood throughout, the underground music studio (be sure you find out if Mark can give you a tour, it is definitely worth the time!), the swinging seats on the community decks, the beach, the bed, the deep bathtub. The rooftop pool is pretty awesome as well, and a good place to head when the winds make the beach area unpleasant.

The hotel has a small, but very nice workout room, which we loved using, and also rents out equipment at the beach club for a pretty reasonable price (paddle boards, kayaks, etc). The spa looks nice, but is a bit pricey. I got a massage from a local girl who I met, it cost me $40 for about 100 minutes, and it was A-mazing.

Food: We had a deal for free Continental breakfast every morning. They served toast, and a plate of fresh food with coffee and juice. It was the perfect way to start my day, although I will say that service was not the fastest - might be because it was low-season, or that things are generally at a slower pace here, but there were times I sensed that they might be slightly annoyed that we weren't buying anything else in addition to the free breakfast. Then again, I can be sensitive, so who knows.. We always ordered nachos and drinks at the beach to share, and that hit the spot - again, service was not the quickest, but it was vacation, so it didn't bother me once I realized we needed to order a little bit before I actually got hungry.

We never ate dinner at the hotel. The menu was pretty pricey, and there were too many other places to check out. We wanted to order sushi one day at the pool, but they had already shut down the food service by 5p.m. there. Was bummed about that.

Okay, so where to go for good food... Right by the small market at the Marina is a place called the Drunken Sailor - awesome fish and shrimp tacos, and ceviche. Fun place to meet locals. If you have a night to splurge on money, take a trip up to Flora Farms. Make sure the hotel makes reservations for you. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been - a really cool community and awesome food. The Container, which is just on the other side of the Marina was pretty good as well - bring bug spray b/c as soon as the sun goes down, the bugs come out.

The other nights we went into San Jose - one night we trekked out to a local Mexican street restaurant - cheap, huge, and delicious burritos - wish I could remember the name.. and the other night we went to Salsitas - kind of pricey, but totally worth it. SO yummy, and a really cool ambiance. I do not drink alcohol, but my travel companion raved about the freshly brewed beer at Baja Brew Company, so it's worth a stop there as well.

Room Tip: if you are going to pay extra for a balcony, just know that it is tiny - unfurnished, and not that different from rooms with no balcony. It was worth the $10-20 extra dollars for us because we sat out there on the ground a few of the nights and really enjoyed it. But, if you are looking for little ways to save, you could easily skip this.
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel. The location is excellent if you like a peaceful place away from the crowds at Cabos San Luca. The infinity pool at the rooftop is amazing and you can see the marina and watch all the fishing boats that come in the afternoon with their catch.
Staffs here also provide great service. I agree with others who commented the food here is overpriced and better to eat at places nearby such as the Drunken Sailor, a few steps down. There are also places nearby that has great food such as Flora's farms and the Container.
The only thing I cautioned others who brought a package like I did that included the El Ganzo breakfast. It is really a continental breakfast that include coffee, juice, toasts with jam and a fruit plate. If you want a full breakfast, you will have to pay extra. My package also included the bike rental, which is an added bonus and useful to use as transportation nearby.
I did not use their spa because their sauna room was not in service and the prices are much higher than the places close by.
I would definitely come back to this hotel again next time I am in the area.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Quite honestly one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. The friendly and professional staff, expert attentive service, dreamy pool and jacuzzi, and comfortable rooms... My review can't do it justice. You need to experience it for yourself. Try to go on a weekend when there's a musical event, too. The resident artistic director, Mark, does a fantastic job bringing in only the finest, and the entire hotel is buzzing with artistic flare. Whether you catch a show or not, you could spend hours by the infinity pool just soaking up the view, and the private beach club - just a quick shuttle boat away - is also worth spending at least a few hours. DO NOT leave this area without dining at Flora Farms, nearby, and if you want a more casual but delicious meal, the Drunken Sailor with its tasty tacos and fresh ceviche is just a walk away. Seriously, though, try this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo