“Ten day vacation”

Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Fresno, California
“Ten day vacation”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I visit Cabo twice a year so we consider ourselves regulars but this was our first visit to El Ganzo (September 6-15th, 2013). We found this hotel on line and after reading the reviews we decided to try it out.

Our stay:
Raphael booked our trans-vip pick up from the airport and it was awesome, no waiting. Upon our arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the most welcoming staff. Our check in was quick and easy then we were shown to our room. The room is small but the view is amazing, the bed....Awesome!
We are beach people so most days were spent at the beach club, excellent beach service, great food, paddle board lessons with "Bob"......so fun! The roof top pool is also amazing and the service is A+. The gym is clean, also great views and very nice equipment. In all the years we have visited Cabo I can say this staff is by far the best we have experienced. Breakfast and lunch are good but we ate in town for dinner all but one night, there are so many great restaurants in San Jose, we found the hotel dinner just okay. We did return in the evenings for drinks on the deck and loved it, Thank you Fidel!

Why 4 stars?
I would love to give the El Gazno a 5 star rating as it deserves it except for this one thing (a big one to us). On Saturday the hotel hosted the Mayweather fight up on the roof top bar. We were excited to attend as it was a fun event. Everything was great, well staffed, fun food and drinks. About an hour into the start their resident celebrity "Mr. Winning" arrived with his loud, obnoxious entourage and security staff. They were seated behind us in a small roped off area after about 30 minutes, but it didn't end there. The main event started and all that could be heard was the never ending obscenities being yelled from "Mr. winning" himself, to put it mildly, it was one uncomfortable situation. My husband and I decided we would leave but before the check came the real main event started. The "entourage" aka three 20's somethings jumped into the pool shortly followed by "Mr. Winning". Not to worry, he first removed his shorts and was in what looked like boxers. Moments later security scattered and the pool lights were turned off.

My disappointment was not that someone would act this stupid, I expected that but more so how it was handled. The fight was a big deal and a lot of the hotel management was in attendance along with (who I understand to be) the owner. Not one person said a word. However, If my husband, myself or any other hotel guest had of acted like this we would have been thrown out. This alone knocked down my rating and has also made us rethink if we will ever visit this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Danette T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I just got back from a three-night getaway with a girlfriend, and this hotel was perfect. First of all, no children allowed! Don't get me wrong. I like kids, but this really felt like a vacation. The hotel itself is very new, has original artwork and a spectacular infinity pool on the roof. There's also a shuttle to their beach club right across the marina, and paddle boarding and kayaking are available. It's about a ten minute taxi ride to San Jose del Cabo, but it's tempting to just stay at the hotel the whole time. In addition the service was great--especially Rafael at the front desk and really everyone else who took time to make our stay trouble-free. When we couldn't get a taxi one night to a local (fantastic) restaurant, they even drove us themselves. Just an excellent experience.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and had a great view of the ocean. We didn't have a balcony, and I...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

A welcome respite from the standard impersonal sea side resort. From the moment you spy the cool mural on the side of the building next to the huge wooden door you know this is going to be something special. Lots of design details - glass lifts,a huge ceiling high book case also showing some funky art pieces, a see-through infinity pool on the roof and great bedrooms showcasing a minimalist yet warm natural style. I am glad we discovered this place before the hordes did!

portland, or
Reviewed 14 September 2013

It's my last couple of hours at Hotel El Ganzo and I'm already reflecting on my fantastic stay here. When planning this trip, I was immediately impressed by the natural yet modern aesthetic - not too sterile, not too rustic...the perfect balance of the two. Their marketing photos shows a facade of the hotel that is quite modest, but upon entering through it's massive pivoting wood door, you get the impact of how large this 'boutique hotel' really is. Generous open plan rooms, expansive views of the marina, farm tables in the restaurant and a gorgeous rooftop pool, bar and lounge area on which to enjoy stunning sunsets. Being the spa freak that I am, I couldn't believe the size of the spa treatment rooms with shower wet rooms in each, and a jacuzzi area outside. Heaven.

I was particularly impressed by the clean lines of the architecture and craftsmanship of the materials. It's easy to make a place look handcrafted, but to back that up with quality that will last far past the trendiness of 'modern rustic' is a feat that I think El Ganzo can achieve. I just hope that the art installations that will grow on the hotel's 'blank canvas walls' will not start to overwhelm and compromise the serenity of the rooms themselves.

We enjoyed the water taxi and bike rides to the beach club and the mosaic cactus gardens, paddle boarding around the jetties, dinner at the Container across the marina, showing off long legs in the clear cube jacuzzi, the Kinesis gym at the spa, yoga on the outdoor stage. We especially loved several organic meals at Flora's Farm down the road (NOT TO BE MISSED!!)...which surprisingly rivaled our beloved Portland foodie scene.

Tips: my travel companion came up with the brilliant idea to leave water in the tub to combat the arid A/C air in the rooms at night. I tried to crack my patio door to let in some humidity, but woke up from a particularly attractive mosquito bite to the eye. So bring your favorite non-toxic insect repellent and After Bite...perhaps a future amenity will be a rad El Ganzo fly swatter. I loved the little colorful woven signature geese that greeted us home on our turned down bed after a day in the sun.

I can always judge my level of enjoyment of any hotel when I can remember and give credit to the people on staff who were friendly, informative and genuinely nice: Jerry (hotel manager), Isaac and Rafael (front desk), Alessandro (spa manager), Yasmin (hostess), Bob (paddle board rentals). Thanks to all of you for your excellent customer service.

I'll be back...most likely during the same time of year (no crowds and still great weather!) And that's saying a lot of a curious wanderer like me!

Room Tip: I was in Room 303 (3rd floor) and really appreciated the balcony. Even though I didn't use it m...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and recently came to Los Cabo for a quick three night getaway and we chose El Ganzo as an alternate experience to the normal large beachside hotels that we have stayed at and enjoyed many times before. We were not disappointed. We liked the boutique quality that this hotel offered. The location was great, not far from downtown San Jose yet far enough away to feel that we were off the beaten path. The rooms were clean and comfortable and overlooked the marina. The staff were all very nice and egar to help. We really enjoyed the both the rooftop pool and the beach club, a short boat ride across the marina. The food was good but expensivethe and the service was a little slow . Two things that might have affected the quality of our stay was that we came in the very low season. We're pretty sure that the first night we were there we we're the only guests at the hotel. Also, we arrived right on the heels of some tropical weather and clearly the hotel had been inundated by the heavy rains. Sand bags were everywhere and one of the two elevators was off line for a day. All and all though, we really enjoyed our stay and felt like we achieved the romantic getaway we were seeking. Would definitely reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not worth paying for a third floor balcony. They are tiny.
1 Thank David S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at El Ganzo and can’t speak highly enough of it. The whole resort, from the moment you walk in right down to the details in the bedrooms is a complete package of cool, minimalist design If you appreciate design, then you will love this hotel.
Whilst it is a 30 min drive from Los Cabos, this is not a bad thing. The staff were helpful, friendly and nearly all spoke English. The hotel pool is one of the most amazing I have had the pleasure to enjoy. It was a great place to relax and unwind, and yet only a short drive to hustle and bustle of Cabos. Its a long long way from home, but if we ever visit Cabos again, we can’t go past El Ganzo.

Room Tip: We chose a suite with a jacuzzi on the balcony, but having inspected a number of other rooms I would...
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 6 night stay in Cabo, the last 4 of which were spent at this fabulous hotel. It was cool, relaxed, peaceful and almost everything about the place was perfect. We wanted a quiet, secluded spot and found it! The hotel was also at least half empty which we loved as well.
The staff were very polite and helpful and also very attentive. As others have pointed out, the speed of service did leave something to be desired at times but generally this was just a minor irritation. We did eat at the hotel almost the entire time and the food was wonderful. Sunday morning there was a delicious brunch with live music. Tuesday night there was also live jazz with dinner. The ambiance and views were wonderful and relaxing.
The gym was nice and we used it daily and my boyfriend had a massage which he said was great.
We stayed in a king room with a balcony. It was spotlessly clean. The rooms are small but very cool with the MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was out anniversary and upon arrival they had decorated the room with pink bougainveilla petals over the floor and the bed and for turn down service they ran a bubble bath for us, and again surrounded the tub with petals and lit candles. When we were out for a walk we saw a staff member out picking the petals from a garden earlier in the day. Such a lovely gesture. The balcony was small and not private but we still enjoyed having it.
Rooftop pool was phenomenal. So comfortable and relaxing and quite deserted at times. 4-5 hours would fly by - the pool was warm, there was always a cool breeze and the views were amazing. Staff were always available if we needed anything.
The only complaints we had were that our room was directly opposite a 4 story fountain they are building and there was construction noise all day - only noticed since one day I was sick and spent the day in bed. Also on the Saturday night there was a live concert on the rooftop which was a lot of fun - 250 locals were there and after the concert a DJ was playing music. It was very loud - could easily be heard throughout the whole hotel - and did not stop until
2:30-3am. We do not go to sleep early and enjoy a good party but this did seem a little over the top.
All in all we were thrilled with our choice of hotel, the location,the staff, the ambiance and the amenities and will definitely go back. I hope that it will be just as peaceful once word gets out and the place becomes crowded!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,025 reviews

Been to Hotel El Ganzo? Share your experiences!