“If you fish. This is not a place to stay!!!”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Oregon
“If you fish. This is not a place to stay!!!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hello all La Playa fishermen. My review here is created from 21 years of Baja experience while enjoying the fishing experiences with La Playa Sport Fishing. I have enjoyed fishing with this group at least two times a year for 21 years as well enjoyed the culture of the locals and comrades who do the same. While understanding the art culture and it efforts to provide a place for a cultural experience of its own, and I have no place to discredit those efforts. Having said this I must emphasize that the Hotel El Gonzo is not a place a fisherman would choose to embrace their experience.
El Gonzo is not conducive to allowing your ice chest, beer, or amenities that most fishing groups have enjoyed in places such as the Tropicana Inn would accommodate. The rooms provide little space to accumulate doing the normal fish stories and rhetoric that creates the atmosphere in growing those fish stories, " if you know what I mean". And there seems to be that old dishonest room rate charge that increases when the bill is printed. Just being honest, if you fish and like the ways you have experienced, the El Gonzo is not your place. For the artist, I think you will enjoy your high priced experience. BTW put some fish mounts on the walls, maybe open the doors to all and don't overcharge to look at them... Another tip, ask for disclosure of taxes with room rate. 29 % which they fail to disclose at time of booking. Sorry El Gonzo. I rate you wasted space and money for what you offered me and charged me for. You know who I am El Gonzo, this is my turn to offer what you didn't offered me. This should be no surprise for you and your manager.

Room Tip: Rooms are all the same size. Doubles are crowded and the Kings are crowded. Balconies are small 4x...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Guy W
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hola Guy W,

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of our services and would like to take the time to apologize to you.

Indeed we are not the traditional hotel, we pride ourselves in welcoming everyone. Although I can assure you that your thoughts will be taken into consideration.

In regards to the charges you mention we will work on implementing root cause solutions.

Guy, I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be helpful and courteous, and let me express yet again my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service to you again in the not so distant future.

Sincerely

Enrique Turcott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit funky, recommended for young guests, the rooms are cool, but I have to say that the terrace is incredible, I would definitely give it a try just for the terrace, its a modern way to spend a runaway weekend at a charming town as San José del Cabo

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arturostro
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Hola Arturostro,

Your words signify that our efforts in providing pleasurable vacations are being successful!

We truly hope to see again soon at su casa in Los Cabos

Best regards,

Oakland, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Where to begin? My boyfriend and I just returned from our week in paradise, courtesy of Hotel El Ganzo. I'll start by saying if you want to stay a little off the beaten path, are looking for quiet and relaxation, and appreciate service and superb interior decorating, this is the place for you. If you want to do the tourist thing and party your face off in Cabo San Lucas, this is NOT it. Guests are a good mix of tourists and Mexicans, which we liked because we felt like we were actually traveling and staying in a foreign place, unlike some of these large all-inclusive places.

Our stay was peppered with lots of extra perks: 20% off spa services, free continental breakfast, soups sent out courtesy of the chef during dinner, and surprise chips and guacamole while lounging at the pool deck. We also seriously appreciated the complimentary bottled water, soda, and beer in the rooms. Housekeeping was AMAZING. They came twice a day, and our room was BEYOND immaculate when returning from a long day in the sun. The pillows in the room were like sleeping on clouds. Giant, fluffy clouds.

I've gotten used to eating pretty damn good food in San Francisco, and I have to say, the food was AMAZING. Service can be a bit slow, but you're on vacation, so I say just chill and enjoy your wine and the superb weather while you wait. Our waiters remembered us and many of our preferences when we dined with them. Fidel at the Downstairs restaurant was so welcoming and helpful, he really completed our dining experience. 24/7 room service will also basically make you whatever you want, just call the downstairs desk. Don't be afraid to wander offsite as well. We ate at The Container (same owners, they will give you a ride over there) The Drunken Sailor, La Marina Inn, and a little side road taco stand. Everything was excellent and cheap.

We used the gym (small but very nice equipment), had a couples massage (ahhhhhhhhhhh), hung out at the rooftop pool (AMAZING playlist on the weekends, no IPOD needed), went to the beach (water was clean, warm, and SWIMMABLE) and rented bikes (super fun way to get to the beach and see the cactus gardens). We also went on a tour to Cabo San Lucas one day, which was really all we needed to see of that area.

Overall we were incredibly happy with our stay. The staff speaks great english, and is always available for help. The only issue we had was a bogus charge to our room, from someone who signed a bill incorrectly. The hotel was very quick to correct it and apologetic, which I greatly appreciated.

I will leave you with this:
Take a chance on Puerto Los Cabos and Hotel El Ganzo. You will not regret it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hola Janine V,

I was very pleased to know that Hotel El Ganzo was able to live up to your expectations and more.

We pride ourselves in our services and take every step necessary for our guests to feel at home and relax.

Your words gives me security in knowing that the path that we are taking is the right one.

It will be an honor to host you again at su Casa El Ganzo, when your travels bring you back.

Sincerely

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just spent a week at the Hotel El Ganzo and had a great time. This is a small boutique type of hotel with an open kitchen, dining room and bar.....so much so that it feels like you're an guest in someone's home. If you're looking for peace, quiet and no time share harassment, then this is for you. We had a great time with the staff, and received personal Spanish lessons from Daniel, Frances and Alex. The staff is attentive to everything and very friendly. The rooftop hot tub is all glass and pretty amazing. The hotel is right in the marina so you can watch the private yachts coming and going...quite a site. San Jose is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the hotel where everything is at your fingertips.....the art walk, restaurants, etc. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank drernie2001
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hola Drernie 2001,

I was pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and were delighted with our decor, but most of all pleased to know that Daniel, Frances and Alex provided an outstanding service. Thank you for sharing your comments.

Your words evidence that we are on the right path and that our goals of achieving guest satisfaction and providing pleasurable vacations are being successful!

It will be a pleasure to host you again in the not too distant future, here at El Ganzo.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Great hotel in San Jose del Cabo. Off the beaten path, which makes it quiet and very pleasant. Wonderful employees and great scenery. Rooftop pool has a great view and the private beach club is relaxing as well.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. No real need for a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 279AlexS
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Visited Hotel El Ganzo from 10/25-10/29 and loved it! The hotel was beautiful and clean, although the rooms were a bit small. Rooftop Infinity pool was stunning, included the glass-sided hot tub. We sat on our balcony overlooking the marina and Sea of Cortez every morning and watched the sunrise. It was a little quiet there--they did not seem to have many guests.
Private beach was clean, had a bar and great chaise lounges.
Our first night I went down for a drink and ended up listening to live music on the porch--awesome! Day 2 we went up to the pool and walked into a pool party with DJ and shots.
Day 3 we went to the private beach via boat and I got a 15 minute stand-up paddle board lesson.
Standouts were Fidel (thanks for suggesting El Toro!) and Romano who remembered my name from the first minute and greeted me everytime I walked in the hotel. Drunken Sailor Tacos were THE BEST!

Room Tip: Get a Marina view Balcony room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mcnuttholler
Hola McNuttholler,

It was a real pleasure to read your review, it lets us know that our hard work and enthusiam has us in the right path.

Every day we strive for betterness.

It will be our pleasure to host you again and be able to live up to your expectations one more time.

Best Regards

oslo
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Staying at El Ganzo was wonderful. They thought of every little detail and the view is lovely. The staff is very sweet and attentive and the food is lovely. We renewed our vows on the beach there and Amelia and the staff helping that night was incredible in helping us creating our vision. They even decorated the boat that takes you from the hotel to the beach and our room. It was a great surprise! The rooms are really nice and spacious, rustic chic style. The place is quiet yet there is a lot going on there, concerts, films, etc.
We shall definitely come back!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the ground floor and had a double jacuzzi room. Very quiet, lovely view of the marina.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel El Ganzo? Share your experiences!