“Quiet location, beautiful walks, divine food, hip music”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Athens
“Quiet location, beautiful walks, divine food, hip music”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Hotel El Ganzo is located on the Marina in San Jose del Cabo. This is tucked away in an area that has much less tourist hustle and bustle, which is exactly what we were looking for.

The Hotel is cool, and hip, the rooms are fantastic, and the service is really attentive. Our waiter knew our names and our breakfast preferences by the second day, and he was really friendly. The weekly cultural events [movies, live music, etc.] are worth participating in, and they make the hotel feel like a hidden getaway for SoCal arty types.

We had food from the restaurant downstairs, the rooftop sushi restaurant, and beachside grill. All of these were superb, and never disappointed. They are pretty pricey, though: the hotel is one of the only thing in this are, and they know it. There are a few restaurants and cantinas tucked away in the neighborhood within a few blocks of the hotel, but there isn't much else. We had the American Breakfast deal, and it was delicious, more than enough food, and well worth the cost.

The hotel is located on the edge of a growing marina development that includes an art walk, and restaurants on both sides of the cove. In time this will be a lovely place to walk, but not much had opened when we visited. However, you can rent bikes, or get a golf cart ride to the other side of the cove to visit restaurants like The Container [which I would recommend]. We found this romantic and charming to walk to dinner at the Container at sunset.

The beach is a short ferry ride across the cove, which some might consider a little annoying, but we found it nice. It felt more remote. You really have the beach to yourself, but just on the other side of a jetty, there is a public beach where fishermen and their families are cleaning fish and swimming, etc. You can't see this from the hotel beach area, and it didn't bother us one way or the other. We and the other guests were the only ones on the beach. Very nice. Service at the beach bar and grill is quick and attentive.

We loved having a balcony overlooking the marina. There's fishing boats coming in and out all day long. It isn't too loud, and it was fun to get to watch the day's catch come in, and know that you might be eating that fish later in the evening.

The pool is easily the nicest and most beautiful hotel pool I've ever seen. It is on the rooftop, and the infinity edge spills over in such a way that it feels like you're perched on the end of the earth, with the ocean stretching out infinitely into the distance.

The only detractors I would give to this hotel is that it is far from the other resorts, a little hard to find the first time, and the management is pretty tight on their policy that you not bring any food or drink into the hotel. We wanted some bottled water that didn't cost hotel prices, so we picked it up at the supermarket. The manager let us know this wasn't ok, but was kind about it, and didn't ask us to give up the water, which we appreciated.

Overall, this was an excellent place to stay, and really hip and fun. I wouldn't recommend it for older travelers or families, as it is really designed for a young, hip crowd. But it's way cooler than most of the Cabo hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PDubInAthens
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Hola PDubln Ath,

I can only say that it was really great to read your review.

As manager of this resort it really is a pleasure to know that all of my teams efforts and mine are going in the right direction, which is giving our guests the best that we have.

Thanks So Much!!!!

Enrique Turcott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The hotel is awesome, 5 out of 5.
One of my favorite hotels I've stayed in Mexico.

A 20-25min ride from the airport (which is nice).
Overall the hotel looks awesome from the outside but is even better inside.
The lobby has a hip look & a very comfortable seating/wait area.
We had a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony.
The setup of the room was perfect.
Not the biggest room but it had everything you needed.
The bed was 5 out of 5.

My favorite part is the rooftop pool & club. We partied with a wedding on Friday night & the music & the vibe was amazing. Great sound system too.
The private beach is a quick boat ride away.

The service from front desk, bell hop, housekeeping, bar staff is 5 out of 5.

The reason I can't give 5 stars is only based on the restaurant.
The food service is slow, the food is terrible & overpriced.
I would typically not be that critical as we'd just eat somewhere else, but there's just not that many options around.
They should really bring in someone that could help them, because it's a shame, as every other aspect is so good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank VicandFawn
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Hola VicandFaw,

I can only say thank you for your words and praises for our hotel.

We are implementing solutions in regards to your comments on our restaurant services and we hope you will visit us again to enjoy our achievements.

Again thank you and let me wish you and your Family and very Merry Crhistmas.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Here is my short and simple review for anyone who does not want to read further, Book this place. If you have any doubts, I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions about our stay. On to the longer review now.

I will concede that I am not really that hard to please, most of my reviews on this site are positive (though I would say that this property would rank above any other review I have submitted), but I also think that is because I research and do my homework before I ever select a resort/hotel. The research paid off on this trip as soon as me and my wife arrived at Hotel El Ganzo. We were greeted by friendly staff and provided a cool drank and a cool towel during the check in process. The friendly greetings and smiling faces were a sign of things to come for the whole weekend. It was nice to seem the same friendly staff over and over again, it brought a sense of comfort and familiarity that you do not always see in a hotel.

The room itself was very interesting and really fit our taste. We booked a room with a king bed and a balcony, the view was of the marina and each morning we would lay around for a while and just stare out the open sliding doors to the activity below. The tub was a good size and provided for a nice relaxing soak if needed and the rain style shower was perfect after a dip in the pool or a day at the beach. The room is modern and styled differently than you may be used to, but we really liked the set up and atmosphere. The staff fully stocked the mini fridge and re-filled it routinely during our stay, providing us complimentary beer and water and soft drinks the entire time, that small detail in customer service was very impressive and surprising.

The pool on the roof is as perfect as the hotel pictures show, and the hot tub provides the perfect opportunity to warm up if the sun sneaks behind a cloud or at night. Again, the staff shined at the pool, ensuring the guests were content and had enough drinks or food. (I am bad with remembering names or I would definitely give credit to specific staff members).Customer service was really a hallmark of this property.

The beach club was just a short boat ride away, literally less than five minutes. We really enjoyed the time on the beach, it was never crowded but had some activity. The staff was friendly here as well and did their best to attend to everyone's requests. I even had a small billing error and they were quick to fix it without any problems, another sign of great customer service. The lunch at the grill here was also very good, try the fish tacos.

We ate breakfast downstairs every morning, usually the continental breakfast which was a large and delicious fruit plate, and then mixed it up where we ate our other meals. The hotel will transport you by car or boat to The Container on the other side of the marina. The transportation to/from was friendly and included good conversation with the staff.

That about sums up my experience while on the property, a nice, comfortable room that is unique in design and provides great views, and an impressive staff with a focus on customer service whether it was inside the hotel, at the pool, or at the beach club. Lastly, we also used the work out room too and there were a few treadmills, bikes, and equipment available for the guests.

If you are interested in the San Jose del Cabo side of Los Cabos, stay here. We did take a taxi into town a couple of times, but it was always easy and never an issue. We can't wait to return, they did everything right with this property.

3 Thank jeffv216
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hola Jeffv2165,

I was very pleased to know that my staff provided an outstanding service to you, that their smiles on their faces made a difference, your praises for our hotel and just reading your review has enlighten my day.

Your words evidence that we are on the right path in providing pleasurable vacations and we hope to see you again soon.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experiences.

lt will always be a pleasure to have you here as our guest.

Best regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I booked a five night stay at El Ganzo when I was in desperate need to recharge. I'm super active and typically take international trips that revolve around sports like skiing, rock climbing or surfing. I had cast removed from my broken leg shortly before arriving at El Ganzo, so I was skeptical about enjoying a lazy beach vacation. Traveling solo, I didn't want a resort filled with families or that was like a drunk frat party. El Ganzo delivers SoHo cool with a unique vibe that's chill and filled with fantastic live music-- just a killer atmosphere.

It's clear they know their guest and that a great deal of attention has gone into the details, from how you're greeted to the fantastic decor to bringing in a resident artist who knows how to create the perfect line-up of live music (nice work Mark) and a staff that's always smiling, working hard and is completely accommodating.

Having spent my 20s living in a high-end Colorado ski town and working in a five star hotel, I know service when I see it and the service at El Ganzo is top notch. (I'm now in my mid-40s and own a service-based business in another well-know resort town so I have a low tolerance level for poor service.) You arrive to big smiles, special treats in your room, a flat screen TV that has a channel dedicated to the artists who've recorded at El Ganzo, which automatically sets the a mini-bar that's free and restocked daily, an iPad so the staff can book your dinner reservations at various spots, balcony with killer views, a super comfy bed, a gym, a fantastic rooftop pool, private beach, and contrary to other reports super reliable internet access. I was able to get work done and still forget what day of the week it was, so for this overworked business owner that's a great trip.

I don't fish but loved waking up and watching the marina come to life and the fisherman get ready for the day. The private beach is perfect, and you can rent beach cruisers, stand up paddle boards, etc., and explore. The staff remembers your name and asked me daily about my leg and if I needed ice to make it more comfortable. I actually limped along to the art walk in town, which was fun and a MUST do is to eat at Los Tamarindos.

The food at the hotel is also very good and I'm not sure what the fuss is about expensive drinks, destination resorts in the U.S. are far more expensive.

Honestly, the only downside to El Ganzo is having to leave. Muchas gracias to the entire staff for making this a memorable and amazing experience. The world is a big place with a lot to see so I rarely say this but I would come back to El Ganzo again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank StephNicole2013
Hola StephNicole,

I would like to take a few minutes to thank you for sharing your experiences with us here at El Ganzo.

It wa a real delight to here from you, your words lets us know that we are making a difference.

I would also like to thank you for the kind words towards my staff, let me assure you that they will be shared with them.

It will be an honor to host you again here at su Casa el Ganzo.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This may seem lengthy, but I have so many great things to report - so stick with me! My husband & I just returned from our first trip to Hotel El Ganzo in San Jose Del Cabo. We were greeted at the door by a lovely team of people who valeted our car & escorted us to our amazing room. The modern yet inviting room overlooked the marina and the Sea of Cortez, one of El Ganzo's pools, the immaculate gardens, the restaurant, and the beach club across the marina. Many mornings we left open the sliding doors to invite the warm ocean breezes in throughout the day.
The restaurant downstairs offered a very tasty menu at both breakfast and dinner (we never wound up eating lunch here). The friendly service was slower than what we're use to here in the overly-rushed U.S.A. and was a welcome change of pace. The rooftop pool was chilly for us - but then again we're use to New Orleans heat & it was November (there were many others who were swimming) - however, the hot tub was wonderful. The service and the food offered on the rooftop were equally excellent.
What we were most impressed with was the hotel itself & those taking care of us. The artsy, laid-back vibe of the hotel was what attracted us to begin with - clean, visually fun, and relaxing. We loved our nightly visits with other travelers around the fire pit listening to the relaxing live music. We suggest the roof-top movie night on Wednesdays - big chairs, blankets, popcorn, & a movie with a sea breeze to boot! - nice! And the service...warm and welcoming! Every need we had was met with smiles. Jerry was so helpful when we were looking for places to eat in town - great suggestions and directions! Jasmine was friendly each evening as we went to eat or have coffee downstairs. Alec was an amazing waiter at the rooftop pool! Jose was always waiting in the wings to help any way he could. Mark even sat and chatted with us for a while before inviting us to visit the recording studio on site. One of the concierges in particular - & I am embarrassed to say I can't remember his name - helped us each and every morning plan our day by giving suggestions and directions. He even went so far as to offer for an employee to stop at a local CrossFit gym to pick up t-shirts for us. And these are only a few of the helpful souls that around to assist us.
Overall we would suggest this hotel & town to anyone looking for a relaxing yet adventurous place to travel to. And to those of you at El Ganzo - gracias amigos from Wendi & Mark!

1 Thank wendibird74
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Hola Wendbird74,

First of all let me thank you for all your kind words and your praises to our staff.

It was such a pleasure to read all this and so comforting to know that our efforts are really doing the difference. To hear all this really motivates us in continuing through this path.

Let me assure you that all here at El Ganzo will know of your words, because I am sure that it will be a great motivation to all to know that their efforts are being appreciated.

Best Regards,

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was our second stay at the El Ganzo, having been here in March 2013 and loved it. It's a very arty, cool establishment, with quirky occasions like film nights and yoga lessons. The rooms could do with being a little larger, but they are nicely done, with glass balconies and excellent beds. There are nice touches like local coffee for the machine in the room, and a free minibar that gets re-stocked daily. Despite the rooms facing out onto the marina, and the regular live music, we slept incredibly well all of the 4 nights we stayed.
The beach club is accessed by the free shuttle boat, and is a gem with it's own bar and restaurant. There is a separate watersports company there providing cat sailing, SUPs and canoes, which we didn't try but several guests did and seemed happy.
Upstairs is the excellent pool and (slightly strange) glass-walled jacuzzi, from which you can whale-watch in season.
We didn't leave the hotel for our stay, as the food is good quality and reasonably priced. The only problem was the service in the downstairs restaurant, which declines markedly when more than 2 tables are occupied. I'm all for a relaxed Mexican approach to things, but some of the delays for food were a bit silly at this price point. It had just opened the last time we were here, which could excuse some of it, but they should have sorted this out if they want to compete in the boutique hotel market.
It's still our favourite hotel though, and all the staff are really friendly!

Room Tip: Check the offers that the hotel has on it's website - we booked the package including a day'...