“Lovely hotel, mediocre restaurant”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband I stayed here one night on our way to Todos Santos and wished we had stayed longer. The staff were very friendly and responsive. We were given cool towels and a refreshing tamarindo drink on arrival. Our room had a beautiful view of the water and was clean and spacious. There was live music the night we stayed, Lissie, and the band was GREAT. Dinner was mediocre. I ordered the snapper but I'm pretty sure I was served another type of fish that was rubbery and overlooked. It was served with a slightly warm pasta with capers and an indeterminate sauce. The breakfast buffet was much better - the poached eggs with salsa verde were delicious. Stay at the hotel and go out for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melanie G
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hola Melanie G

It is always a pleasure to know that our hospitality is outstanding.

And yes our views our spectacular from any and all angles I am really glad that you also found them to be great.

Your words evidence that we are on the right path and that our goals of achieving guest satisfaction and providing pleasurable vacations are being successful!

I am sorry to hear that some of our restaurant services were not up to your standards, we continue to work every day to achieve excellence.

I hope that you will visit us again soon at su casa in Los Cabos.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Trying to live up to my responsibility of being a senior reviewer on Tripadvisor and because of my adventurous nature, I decided to stay a night in a few different hotels while we were in the San Jose del Cabo area. We are boater and sailors so we wanted to explore the Puerto area and found a new hotel located right at the marina, the Hotel El Ganzo. While a little on the pricey side we decided splurge a little and stay one night in one of their Jacuzzi ocean view rooms. The hotel is a little bit of a contrast to the puerto area. You will find yourself driving through an older neighborhood, which has some fantastic restaurants, and ending up at this new, upscale hotel.

The hotel has a really cool vibe to it. It reminds me a little of a Hotel Jazz or Hotel Monaco, very hip and original. The entire property has been designed to maximize the view of the marina and the Sea of Cortez. Our room was fantastic, with a terrace and a tub overlooking the marina. The most amazing thing is the roof-top infinity pool and glass Jacuzzi. The roof-top bar and seating area is very extensive and offers lounge chairs, day beds, sectional areas, etc. This is a wonderful place to just sit, relax and soak in the views. Be sure to look for Alex as he can make your day and get you anything you might need.

We also took the boat over to the Beach Club, where they offer a number of activities most of which are an additional cost. The Beach Club also has a bar and restaurant that we found very good for just casual fare. The hotel is located right at the Marina which is a working marina for the local fishermen and charters that operate. It is also a great location to explore the little village located here. It may look a little shady but we found it to be very safe and the locals very friendly. One place you may want to try is the Drunken Sailor. A little place with simple good food and cold beers. We loved our stay at El Ganzo and our only regret was not staying a night when they had live entertainment.

Room Tip: the rooms with terraces are nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Demonsden
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hola Desmonsden,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences of our property.

Let me express my gratitud to you, when your travels bring you back to our beautiful city, I hope that you will give us again the opportunity to be of service to you at su casa in Los Cabos.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in the El Ganzo for 3 days over NYE, this place is SO close to being amazing but unfortunately has some serious issues with how it's run.

Our problems started even before arriving, I originally booked for seven nights, and about 2 weeks before our arrival i changed it to 3 nights. I guess because it was over new years eve they had a 4 night minimum, so they wouldn't allow we to book for only 3 nights. No worries, i get it it's your policy, i ended up just paying for a night i wasn't actually staying for. The problem was when they re-confirmed my reservation, they changed the rate to the only one room left rate which was WAY more than i originally booked for. It turned out to be the exact same price for 3 nights as my original booking for 7 nights. After a couple days of going back and forth they finally agreed to honor my original rate.

Upon check in we immediately had issues, there was dried urine all over the bathroom. GROSS. I have no idea how that was missed. We called down, they told us to head to the beach and they would clean the room again. We came back about an hour later and i'm unable to charge anything because none of the outlets work on the desk. we then wait an hour for a maintenance guy to come fiddle around and eventually just gives us a power strip to use.

we are FINALLY settled in a clean room and we opened our doors to hear children SCREAMING, playing music and having a "who's the best DJ" argument for what felt like eternity. We specifically booked this place knowing it's ADULTS ONLY. We had just spent a couple days in a hell whole all inclusive with screaming children and urine filled pools and we were so ready for some peace. Upon calling to complain, we were told that they were the owners children and sorry there's nothing we can do. They told us there were no other rooms available, except one which had a king bed (I was traveling with a friend and we booked a room with 2 beds). We decided sharing a bed was going to be better than living with the constant noise of 4 unsupervised pre-teens so we agreed to move. I was then told by the manager, that this was technically an upgrade and aren't we lucky they aren't even going to charge us. I'm sorry, it's NOT an upgrade to me to suddenly have to share a bed in a room the exact same size but one floor higher. PS. I'm paying for 4 nights anyways, so i'm pretty sure i've covered the extra 20 bucks a night this slightly higher room costs.

After issue after issue, you need to do MORE. Moving me to a room that i didn't want in the first place is not enough.

The lack of customer service was repeated throughout the weekend, we would ask for something like a bucket of ice to our room and they would forget and it would take multiple calls to finally get it hours later, the room service menu's were all out of date so just to order food took forever, calling for the menu, calling again after waiting another 30 minutes, etc. The one exception to this is Alex, the bartender/server on the roof. Alex was AMAZING. SO lovely and on top of it, if he hadn't been there i would be rating this place 1 star because the service issues were SO DAMN FRUSTRATING for every other part of our stay.

The room was nice, very pretty design, great beds and pillows. The grounds are obviously stunning, the roof top pool was incredible and thank god for Alex, we spent a lot of time there and it was lovely.

Upon check out out there were problems with charges on our bill, we were overcharged a couple hundred bucks. I pretty much figured i was going to have some kind of issue so luckily gave myself an extra 30 minutes to deal with the check out process so as not to be late to my flight.

Overall, i would stay at this place again in a heartbeat if they cared more about making customers happy, I just don't think they understand the value in truly great service. It's not enough just to have a stunning property, you need to also make your customers feel special and they are massively failing at that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank esheld01

Hola esheld01,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences and the praises of our hotel.

Nevertheless, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our check in process, room accomodations and restaurant services. I would like to clear out the urine issue, which I can assure you that it was not urine, you checkin ahead of time and the room was not ready, what you saw in the bathroom was wáter which had not not dried up.

Indeed their are a few more issues that you mentioned, and I am looking personally into all of them. I truly express my apologies to you and your friend whom you say you traveled with.

I was glad to know that Alex was great and that he made the difference for you.

Please feel free to contact me at your leisure at generalmanager@elganzo.com if their is anything that I can do for you.

esheld01, I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be helpful and courteous, and let me express yet again my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked a last minute trip to Cabo as I needed to get away from the bitter winter cold winter and really needed to unwind from stresses at work. The photos and reviews of the hotel caught my eye. I invited my mother along for some sun and peace. Whenever I have high expectations from great reviews, I'm often disappointed by the reality, but not this time. We had absolutely the most relaxing vacation ever! The hotel room was beautiful, clean (I'm a clean freak), and upscale. We loved the modern artistic aesthetics. All of the staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. They made us feel like royalty. The food was delicious, fresh and fun. The private sandy beach was clean and quite. The staff brought drinks and food to us to the beach chairs, so we we literally sunbathed for 9 hours a day. The rooftop infinity pool was fantastic. The hotel is at the far end of the hotel strip and so it's really quiet and private. Lots of outdoor activities if interested. I rented a car, but never used it the 4 days we were day because it was just so much fun being at the hotel. (If you're into crowds, noise and constant stimulation, this is not the place for you, but you could taxi/drive/bicycle to these types of places near by). I usually stay in 5 star hotels and I've never written a hotel review before, but thought that this place was so special that it deserved my recommendation. I'll definitely be back next winter!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank PolarB14

Hola Polar B14

It will be a pleasure to host you again in the not too distant future, at su casa at Los Cabos

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2014

When booking this hotel, I saw a photo of the pool and a strange compulsion came over me. I booked us in for 15 days - not how we normally travel! But I couldn't resist it.

The pool is every bit as good as it looks - great for lengths and with a fabulous view. The white cushioned deck chairs and cabanas are fabulous, and there is nothing in this world more relaxing than drying off under the sun with a drink in your hand and frigate birds lazily circling overhead in the blue, blue sky. After we arrived, we learned this was named one of Fodor's top 20 pools in the world. Now I want to try the other 19.

If you stay here, stay for more than one night. You need to relax! We rented a car (highly recommended) and were able to snorkel in the ocean at free public beaches every morning. Baja has tons of sea life everywhere! We even swam with whale sharks in La Paz. Unforgettable.

In your room, you will have a lovely, comfortable bed, and a view of the fishermen. The food is not up to the quality of the hotel, and the music is a bit hit and miss, but all the staff are friendly and kind, and the continental breakfast is good. Above all, I found nothing at this hotel really bothered me. It was lovely and restful. Both of us turned brown and lost weight - we felt younger by the end of our stay. We felt like movie stars!

Room Tip: we had a third floor room with balcony. It was small but great!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dockhopper
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hola Dockhopper,

It was a real pleasure to have read your review. I can only say thank you!!!

We are working in bettering our services in the food & beverage department, and I know that in your next visit this will also live up to your standards.

Again thank you and it will be an honor to have you again as our guests.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful property. Very unique and interesting feel, definitely hip. The service people are also very nice but there is something missing. I think it is managment. It needs better systems and processes. The staff was very nice but constrained by really stupid rules. For example, they ran out of white wine they could sell by the glass "for the day", but had bottles for sale. The managers would not allow the staff to break a bottle. Also, I got overcharged $500 for an upgrade night which never happened. I finally gave up arguing the point.
Take a pass on this place until they get better management.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shan p

Hola Shan P,

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused to you by our restaurant and front desk services.

Solutions will be put into effect and take into consideration your suggestions.

Thank you for your praises to our hotel and to my staff, its nice to know that we can better our services.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at El Ganzo for seven dreamy nights over the holidays. I cannot recommend this hotel enough if you are not interested in the crowds of Cabo and looking for some serious relaxation. Things you need to know:

1. This is not in Cabo - it's about 25 minutes away by taxi. And that's fantastic, if you want to chill out and enjoy some quality time with those you love. Personally, I will never go to Cabo now that I've found this place. It sits on its own marina with a private beach and a swanky rooftop pool, so there's no need to go anywhere else.

2. It's super cool. There is live music, innovative food, artists in residence, a spa, a gym, cabanas, etc. This is NOT a chain hotel experience. You are in a unique environment at a hotel that aims to be different.

3. The staff is fantastic. They will know you by name after only a few days and will cater to your every need. Jerry even brought me his own work laptop, so I could watch the Seahawks game live via some fantastic weblink he found. I should mention that I was at the pool for the duration of the game. Now that's service!

4. I love this hotel so much, so it's hard to be nitpicky. That said, the coffee was not good (weird, since it's Mexico) unless you went over to the Container restaurant on the other side of the marina (where they brew Starbucks). There were personal brewers in every room, but the coffee was so bad that you didn't want to use them. It would have been nice to be out on the balcony in the mornings with a great cup of coffee. I'm told that the main hotel will be brewing Starbucks soon, which should alleviate this issue. Also, the lotion in the rooms was an odd consistency and smell, which is another minor thing. Finally, the food is good overall, but there were a few misses on the menu (parmesan crusted fish). I think they are headed in the right direction though and give them points for inspired dishes.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel. The ambiance from the rooftop pool is beyond compare and I can't wait to be having a margarita there again soon! I feel like I've found a real gem and hope it doesn't get too crowded .....

Room Tip: The balconies are quite small, so if price is an issue, I'd forego them.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CaraBibbiani

Hola CaraBibbiani,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

Wow, its, really nice to know that we are on the right path, that we are making a difference and that our guest are noticing.

Thank you for your kind words and compliments to Jerry and its always a pleasure knowing that our staff goes the extra mile to make our guest feel at home.

Be assured that we will continue in bettering all of our services.

General Manage