“Amazing”

Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
La Paz, Mexico
“Amazing”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great food , great atmosphere , and great service from the minute we arrived until we left for home
The view from our jacuzzi tub on our balcony was perfect , only wish we had more time to stay longer

Room Tip: The jacuzzi rooms were awesome , and had an amazing view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hola Jp Wilson_11,

I can only thank you and glad to know that we made the difference.

Saludos

Enrique Turcott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We decided to stay at El Ganzo over a long weekend in order to have a different experience than the one you get at the traditional Cabo Resorts. We wanted to have a few more drinks in the evening, maybe some late nights and generally breath a different atmosphere. It did not disappoint. We immediately liked the hotel's vibe. It has a personality of its own and a lot more attitude than most Cabo hotels. Art, music and design are present all over the hotel so that allows you to constantly discover new things. Each night we met new people that were friendly, interesting and fun. So, each night we could decide to go out to dinner or drinks with other guests or call it a night and stay in. It was nice to have the option. The beach club is great and the hotel's surroundings are worth a exploring in one afternoon by renting one of the bike's available at the lobby. The staff is great, but the restaurant service is very slow and the menu is very limited. So, be sure to get into the restaurant 15 minutes before you usually would. Don't expect to have a great culinary experience at El Ganzo, but it's not bad either. If you're a foodie you should rent a car and visit some of the top-rated restaurantes in San José, instead of eating in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlonsoFB
El_Ganzo_GM, General Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hola Alfonso FB,

Yes we are very happy that our hotel is very unique in its own vibe, with its art and music, there is a great change to many others.

Thank You for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us.

We truly hope to see you here again son.

sacramento
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The hotel is new and still needs to work the kinks out. First of all the staff gets 5 stars, they were very welcoming and pleasant. There was a concert the first night we stayed, and it played til 2 in the morning. Somehow we made it thru that. But the four poster wood king bed is very creeky, everytime one of us moved, it woke the other up. They need to work on that. The rooms are small, but the view out the room is fabulous, it has a ipod for checking out the hotel, and were given a bottle of wine. That was a nice touch. The shower was a bit overwhelming, the shower head in the ceiling sprays the entire shower, so you can't even see. I'm not sure if everyone's shower was like that but ours was very annoying. The beach area was very nice. it is close to the puerto los cabos golf course, which we think is the best course in cabo.

Room Tip: if they are having a concert, i would choose a room as far away from the rooftop bar as possible. s...
1 Thank ellasacramento
Hola ellasacramento,

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time in sharing your comments with us, it is always good to receive the feedback from our guests so that we know where we need to work on.

You can rest assure that we immediately check the bed, no more creeky noises, unfortunately the shower heads were meant for great showers.

It will be a pleasure to host you again on your next trip, at su casa here at El Ganzo.

Mountain View, California, United States
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband I stayed here one night on our way to Todos Santos and wished we had stayed longer. The staff were very friendly and responsive. We were given cool towels and a refreshing tamarindo drink on arrival. Our room had a beautiful view of the water and was clean and spacious. There was live music the night we stayed, Lissie, and the band was GREAT. Dinner was mediocre. I ordered the snapper but I'm pretty sure I was served another type of fish that was rubbery and overlooked. It was served with a slightly warm pasta with capers and an indeterminate sauce. The breakfast buffet was much better - the poached eggs with salsa verde were delicious. Stay at the hotel and go out for dinner.

2 Thank Melanie G
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Hola Melanie G

It is always a pleasure to know that our hospitality is outstanding.

And yes our views our spectacular from any and all angles I am really glad that you also found them to be great.

Your words evidence that we are on the right path and that our goals of achieving guest satisfaction and providing pleasurable vacations are being successful!

I am sorry to hear that some of our restaurant services were not up to your standards, we continue to work every day to achieve excellence.

I hope that you will visit us again soon at su casa in Los Cabos.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Trying to live up to my responsibility of being a senior reviewer on Tripadvisor and because of my adventurous nature, I decided to stay a night in a few different hotels while we were in the San Jose del Cabo area. We are boater and sailors so we wanted to explore the Puerto area and found a new hotel located right at the marina, the Hotel El Ganzo. While a little on the pricey side we decided splurge a little and stay one night in one of their Jacuzzi ocean view rooms. The hotel is a little bit of a contrast to the puerto area. You will find yourself driving through an older neighborhood, which has some fantastic restaurants, and ending up at this new, upscale hotel.

The hotel has a really cool vibe to it. It reminds me a little of a Hotel Jazz or Hotel Monaco, very hip and original. The entire property has been designed to maximize the view of the marina and the Sea of Cortez. Our room was fantastic, with a terrace and a tub overlooking the marina. The most amazing thing is the roof-top infinity pool and glass Jacuzzi. The roof-top bar and seating area is very extensive and offers lounge chairs, day beds, sectional areas, etc. This is a wonderful place to just sit, relax and soak in the views. Be sure to look for Alex as he can make your day and get you anything you might need.

We also took the boat over to the Beach Club, where they offer a number of activities most of which are an additional cost. The Beach Club also has a bar and restaurant that we found very good for just casual fare. The hotel is located right at the Marina which is a working marina for the local fishermen and charters that operate. It is also a great location to explore the little village located here. It may look a little shady but we found it to be very safe and the locals very friendly. One place you may want to try is the Drunken Sailor. A little place with simple good food and cold beers. We loved our stay at El Ganzo and our only regret was not staying a night when they had live entertainment.

Room Tip: the rooms with terraces are nice.
1 Thank Demonsden
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hola Desmonsden,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences of our property.

Let me express my gratitud to you, when your travels bring you back to our beautiful city, I hope that you will give us again the opportunity to be of service to you at su casa in Los Cabos.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in the El Ganzo for 3 days over NYE, this place is SO close to being amazing but unfortunately has some serious issues with how it's run.

Our problems started even before arriving, I originally booked for seven nights, and about 2 weeks before our arrival i changed it to 3 nights. I guess because it was over new years eve they had a 4 night minimum, so they wouldn't allow we to book for only 3 nights. No worries, i get it it's your policy, i ended up just paying for a night i wasn't actually staying for. The problem was when they re-confirmed my reservation, they changed the rate to the only one room left rate which was WAY more than i originally booked for. It turned out to be the exact same price for 3 nights as my original booking for 7 nights. After a couple days of going back and forth they finally agreed to honor my original rate.

Upon check in we immediately had issues, there was dried urine all over the bathroom. GROSS. I have no idea how that was missed. We called down, they told us to head to the beach and they would clean the room again. We came back about an hour later and i'm unable to charge anything because none of the outlets work on the desk. we then wait an hour for a maintenance guy to come fiddle around and eventually just gives us a power strip to use.

we are FINALLY settled in a clean room and we opened our doors to hear children SCREAMING, playing music and having a "who's the best DJ" argument for what felt like eternity. We specifically booked this place knowing it's ADULTS ONLY. We had just spent a couple days in a hell whole all inclusive with screaming children and urine filled pools and we were so ready for some peace. Upon calling to complain, we were told that they were the owners children and sorry there's nothing we can do. They told us there were no other rooms available, except one which had a king bed (I was traveling with a friend and we booked a room with 2 beds). We decided sharing a bed was going to be better than living with the constant noise of 4 unsupervised pre-teens so we agreed to move. I was then told by the manager, that this was technically an upgrade and aren't we lucky they aren't even going to charge us. I'm sorry, it's NOT an upgrade to me to suddenly have to share a bed in a room the exact same size but one floor higher. PS. I'm paying for 4 nights anyways, so i'm pretty sure i've covered the extra 20 bucks a night this slightly higher room costs.

After issue after issue, you need to do MORE. Moving me to a room that i didn't want in the first place is not enough.

The lack of customer service was repeated throughout the weekend, we would ask for something like a bucket of ice to our room and they would forget and it would take multiple calls to finally get it hours later, the room service menu's were all out of date so just to order food took forever, calling for the menu, calling again after waiting another 30 minutes, etc. The one exception to this is Alex, the bartender/server on the roof. Alex was AMAZING. SO lovely and on top of it, if he hadn't been there i would be rating this place 1 star because the service issues were SO DAMN FRUSTRATING for every other part of our stay.

The room was nice, very pretty design, great beds and pillows. The grounds are obviously stunning, the roof top pool was incredible and thank god for Alex, we spent a lot of time there and it was lovely.

Upon check out out there were problems with charges on our bill, we were overcharged a couple hundred bucks. I pretty much figured i was going to have some kind of issue so luckily gave myself an extra 30 minutes to deal with the check out process so as not to be late to my flight.

Overall, i would stay at this place again in a heartbeat if they cared more about making customers happy, I just don't think they understand the value in truly great service. It's not enough just to have a stunning property, you need to also make your customers feel special and they are massively failing at that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank esheld01
Hola esheld01,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences and the praises of our hotel.

Nevertheless, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our check in process, room accomodations and restaurant services. I would like to clear out the urine issue, which I can assure you that it was not urine, you checkin ahead of time and the room was not ready, what you saw in the bathroom was wáter which had not not dried up.

Indeed their are a few more issues that you mentioned, and I am looking personally into all of them. I truly express my apologies to you and your friend whom you say you traveled with.

I was glad to know that Alex was great and that he made the difference for you.

Please feel free to contact me at your leisure at generalmanager@elganzo.com if their is anything that I can do for you.

esheld01, I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be helpful and courteous, and let me express yet again my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked a last minute trip to Cabo as I needed to get away from the bitter winter cold winter and really needed to unwind from stresses at work. The photos and reviews of the hotel caught my eye. I invited my mother along for some sun and peace. Whenever I have high expectations from great reviews, I'm often disappointed by the reality, but not this time. We had absolutely the most relaxing vacation ever! The hotel room was beautiful, clean (I'm a clean freak), and upscale. We loved the modern artistic aesthetics. All of the staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. They made us feel like royalty. The food was delicious, fresh and fun. The private sandy beach was clean and quite. The staff brought drinks and food to us to the beach chairs, so we we literally sunbathed for 9 hours a day. The rooftop infinity pool was fantastic. The hotel is at the far end of the hotel strip and so it's really quiet and private. Lots of outdoor activities if interested. I rented a car, but never used it the 4 days we were day because it was just so much fun being at the hotel. (If you're into crowds, noise and constant stimulation, this is not the place for you, but you could taxi/drive/bicycle to these types of places near by). I usually stay in 5 star hotels and I've never written a hotel review before, but thought that this place was so special that it deserved my recommendation. I'll definitely be back next winter!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank PolarB14
Hola Polar B14

It will be a pleasure to host you again in the not too distant future, at su casa at Los Cabos

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel El Ganzo? Share your experiences!