My husband and I are in our late 20s/early 30s, and we loved this hotel. Puerto Los Cabos, currently, is a sleepy harbor town. Most places close early, so if you are looking for a crazy party, then this is not your hotel. If you are looking to relax in style and comfort then, by all means, read my thorough review. There were many amazing aspects of our stay, and a just a few disappointing parts. Thus, the four and not five star rating. We really wanted to give Ganzo five stars, but as the other reviews said, the food is a rough spot.
Upon arrival we were blown away with the location and design of the hotel. Ganzo is definitely catering to our age group, among others. Lots of live music throughout the stay. We were not greeted with specialty drinks, but we saw many other guests who were. Not that big of a deal, we were there way before check in and they had a room ready for us within five minutes of our early arrival. Rafael at the front desk was kind and very accommodating. He set up several experiences for us including a great cooking class at an organic farm, Los Tamarindos.
Our room was comfortable, clean and the bed was amazing. Seriously, amazing. We had a first floor room with a jacuzzi on the patio. There is not a ton of privacy, but it was totally worth it. Being that it was December, the jacuzzi was a perfect way to end the day and watch the sunset. We also watched the sun set from the fourth floor roof jacuzzi, which was picture perfect. The roof pool is breathtaking and is one of the top 50 pools in the world or some crazy award like that.
Across the harbor is a beach club, owned by Ganzo, with great service and expensive but great food. Lots of ceviche and basic Mexican faire. They rent paddle boards and all kinds of other gear to enjoy the private beach. The hotel rents bikes, and I recommend renting them. Make sure to explore a couple other small cafes, bars and eateries on the streets surrounding the hotel. You will want to explore the "town," because the food options at the hotel leave a bit to be desired. Don't go to the downstairs restraint for dinner, it is overpriced, not that good, and it seems like the staff need more direction. They are very nice, but it was more of an experience to laugh at than to remember fondly, forever.
Instead of eating downstairs, go to the following places:
1. El Marino Borracho/The Drunken Sailor- this place has a Caribbean feel and dishes like coconut rice, fried plantains, etc. you will want to come back again and again for the tacos chino.
2. La Marina Cafe and bar (located directly behind Ganzo) has wonderful, more reasonably priced food. The chef cooking breakfast and lunch was the head chef at the Palmilla for 15 years; his huevos rancheros, well lets say, I will dream about them until I come back to El Ganzo. The chef cooking dinner trained under the other chef for 20 years, so I am sure his food is just as good.
3. The Container, owned by Ganzo. Great food, awesome view, kind staff, and live music.
There are other amazing places to eat, and you should try them until Ganzo gets their kitchen/downstairs act together.
There is coffee in the rooms, but Ganzo would benefit from a complementary coffee/tea station in the lobby. I drink tea, and I was left without. Truly, not that expensive for the hotel and it would make the morning much more pleasant for all types of caffeine drinkers. I am saying this more for the hotel than other guests, since they are still working out their nuances.
I truly recommend this place, even with the food situation. The town is small, relaxed and we were able to have a truly unique and beautiful experience. We are already planning our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Ganzo is Los Cabos' hippest and most unique luxe boutique hotel, often described as a place of experiences. With its very own Cultural, Art & Musical program, it is a member of 'Preferred Lifestyle' and offers 60 deluxe ocean view rooms, three Master, four Large and two Very Large suites. Expansive views of the Sea of Cortez and Puerto Los Cabos Yacht Marina set the tone. Perfectly situated between the area's natural beauty and modern delights, the property stands at the mouth of Marina Puerto Los Cabos bordered by the fisherman's wharf, and is only a 20-minute drive to the airport or just 5 minutes to the historic town of San José del Cabo and the famous Art Walk. Dining options are multiple on site with the Gachoo Sushi Bar, the Upstairs Bar wrapped around the infinity pool and signature glass Jacuzzi, Ganzo Downstairs Restaurant overlooking the marina, or the private Beach Club Restaurant on our swimmable beach. With a complete spa and golf 5 minutes away at Puerto Los Cabos Golf Course, El Ganzo truly is a unique hotel and experience in Los Cabos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., Preferred Hotels, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel El Ganzo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel El Ganzo Los Cabos, Mexico - San Jose Del Cabo