“Perfect!”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When researching hotels for an annual vacation I came across Hotel el Ganzo. Cabo was never really on our list of places to go as I tend to shy away from Mexico because I don’t speak Spanish and I live in San Diego on the Pacific so it never really seemed like much of a vacation to me. I am so glad I decided to go ahead and book this trip and I will definitely be back.

Like most of the reviews on here I booked it specifically for the pool and swimmable beach but it’s the staff and modern’ness of the resort that will bring us back! Prior to arriving I emailed the concierge like crazy to ask questions and set-up activities prior to arriving. Each time he (Rafael) responded very quickly with lots of informative attachments and details. When we drove up we were immediately greeted by Manny who is quite possibly the friendliest and helpful doorman I’ve ever met at a hotel or resort. While waiting to check in I was awestruck by the openness and airy feel the hotel had. It’s hip (lots of concrete and reclaimed wood) without being cold or pretentious and the design maximizes the views of the marina and San Jose because everything is situated so as to face the water. When we got there there was a line to check in so Manny suggested we start our vacation at the bar and he would hold our bags and come get us when the front desk was ready and we of course happily obliged! Alex and Israel quickly became our favorite bartenders shortly after we sat down because they were so happy and so personable and eager to get to know us.

Check in was short and sweet because they were waiting for us (you provide your flight details to them when reserving and they must program keys and prepare papers for signature as an opening duty) and in less than 5 minutes they had us in our rooms WITH our bags! We took a few moments to get to know our room and familiarize ourselves with the ipad (all of the hotels details and info on the surrounding area are there) when we noticed that they had left a complimentary bottle of wine from Valle de Guadalupe as a welcome gift for us which we both though was a very nice touch. Because we didn’t plan on spending much time in our room we booked the smallest/cheapest one they had (came to about $236/night) and at first we were concerned that maybe we stumble or trip over one another getting ready in the AM but it was really more than enough space for the two of us and we often got ready at the same time. I had read some reviews with discontent on the outdoor Jacuzzi suites and honestly reviewers who complained that they weren’t private enough might have been looking to use them naked (and likely during the day) and the overall vibe of the resort is more sophisticated than that so whoever built it would have never assumed that would be how people would want to use them. While yes you can see certain decks from up above or maybe the dock I really doubt that anyone (staff or guest) would have noticed or cared if anyone was in their tub! In fact one of the things I really liked about it was that at the beach or pool the guests there really just seemed to focus on each other and the staff promoted that by making you feel like you were the only guest there! Towards the end of the vacation Peter and I were sharing a chaise lounge or hammock and laying on each other and it felt totally fine and normal (which is DEFINITELY not the case in a $236/night US hotel!) At some point in our trip they found out our birthdays were in May so Alex and Israel found us on the pool deck and presented us with a dessert and sang Happy Birthday!

The food there was always very good with the breakfast buffet being my least favorite (though still very tasty). Peter and I really enjoyed the food and atmosphere of the Container restaurant so much so that we ate there 4 out of the 5 days we stayed there! The first day we found it we were so enamored by their cooking that we just kept ordering food to taste and share and of course we wound up with too much to finish. They packed it up for us – we took it back to the hotel and they held it in their refrigerator…when we were ready to eat it later that night the kitchen re-grilled most of it to heat it back up again!

This hotel really seems to focus on all of the little things that make you NOT want to leave it. They offer a turn down service in the afternoon (which we were so not used to that we thought it was a mistake until we were gone one night while they did it and realized that that was what they were there to do!) The total for our room and food (for 6 days and 5 nights) was $2,200 USD and we ate and drank anything and everything we wanted and charged it all to the room which made keeping track of what we had spent very easy. Prior to selecting HeG I had researched all inclusive options and found that similar hotels (4 stars and adults only) were at OR above that price per person per day.

Another thing worth noting was that all of this AMAZING service was happening WHILE they were busy prepping for a wedding that was scheduled to take place on their beach. Being from San Diego I am no stranger to the hotel wedding so I was all prepared to have certain parts of the hotel or amenities closed for that but had we not been told that they were 70% full with the wedding we would have never known because all throughout that day they seemed to be business as usual!

To prove I wasn’t paid for this review I’ll talk about a slight issue that did happen. One of the nights (and it was very very late) the batteries in our door lock died and we couldn’t get into our room. Given how tired we were we didn’t much feel like having to deal with this and it put us in a bad mood but when Isaac (the overnight concierge) and the maintenance man came they were so apologetic and concerned about fixing it that it was impossible to stay in a bad mood over it! We popped down to the honor bar (they break it out whenever the main bars close and it’s a serve yourself and tell the truth kind of situation) to wait it out and when we came back upstairs and it still wasn’t done Isaac put us in another room and said that if we wanted to fall asleep there we could while they fixed it (it was really THAT late that we didn’t care about not having our stuff) but a few minutes after he offered that it was fixed and we were back on track!

All and all I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for some rest and relaxation – especially couples looking to connect or reconnect with one another. In closing I would really like to thank the entire staff at Hotel el Ganzo (Karla, Rafael, Isaac, Manny, Ivan, Vladimar, Frances, Alex, Israel, Jovanni, Reuben and all the others I can’t remember right now!) for helping us make lots of happy memories on a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SDBarbie
There are newer reviews for Hotel El Ganzo

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We loved this hotel. It was quiet, clean, well-designed, and the customer service was amazing. We thought the area was really neat and loved that they had bikes available to borrow. Several times, our group took them to The Container to eat. The pool was every bit as incredible as the photos reflect. Rooms, while small, were comfortable and the space was used well. The beach club was great. I had zero expectations for the food, based on the negative things people have to say, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff is delightful and accommodating - by the end of the first day, they knew my name and drink. Don't hesitate to stay here - we are already planning our next trip back.

Also, don't miss Flora Farm - it's spectacular!

Room Tip: Only the spa balcony rooms have chairs on the balconies. We used the chairs quite a bit and I think...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank SEWZ
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to enjoy Cabo without being in Cabo San Lucas, this might be the property for you .

I saw that this hotel received good reviews and decided to give it a try .

The best way to describe this hotel is simple elegance. The online photos do not capture the rustic/contemporary finishes.

The rooms are very clean with a rustic touch. The floors are concrete which is pretty cool. We had a great view of the marina . Complementary beverages (water , beer, and soda) are located in the mini bar. Although my mini fridge seemed not to be working. But again, the rooms are nice in a cool, loft sense.

The staff are terrific and most speak English . They are extremely accommodating and helpful without being pushy or expecting compensation .

The hotel allows guests to use bicycles to around around the property . We took advantage of this and went to the Container Restaurant (a very casual, but authentic pub).

We rented a car and drove to Cabo San Lucas. It is an easy 25 min drive. The rental car company will drop off the car (and pick it up) from the hotel which is very convenient.

There are two pools on the property that we used . They are very nice and come with bar service.

The areas that were not so good surprises (no postage service on site, no business ctr to print out boarding pass and each phone call to front desk is a small charge). The spa service is better than average- not great , but good.

I recommend this property without equivocation. You will not be disappointed .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wetravelthere
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The service in El Ganzo was fenomenal, and its got a very cool feeling to the whole experience. the rooms are really nice and the concept very inovative.
the pool is nice too
I loved the idea of the El Ganzo sesions music offer as well as the art that you descover all thoughout the facilities of the Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I needed a break for a week and found El Ganzo. We had been on the road and needed a complete break. It was heaven. Crisp cotton sheets, huge comfy bed, airy sunny room, quiet air con, lovely terrace with private hot tub. We sat on the terrace at night and listened to the guitarist from our room and drank the red wine given to us by the hotel on the first night. Fantastic modern decor, great spa, excellent masseurs. Stunning swimming pool and cocktail bar on the roof. Quiet pool on the ground floor was where we just sat and read books and swam. Out of this world. Very musical hotel... own recording studio! Library. Cinema night under the stars with a clasical guitar singer to entertain us on other nights. We loved everything about it. The Staff were so friendly: Couldn't do enough for us. Sunday buffet a must.

It was quiet in June. Hotel is short drive from the airport so minimal travel on arrival. (Taxis expensive ) Beautiful views, wondeful food in the restaurant and nearby 'Container restaurant' which we went to on the luxury hotel ferry boat or for a change, it was hotter in this restaurant but is situated over looking the larger marina with bigger boats and great food. We had lunch at the pretty beach restaurant, guacamole a must. Nice beach beds and view. Lots to do: kayak etc. Our private terrace overlooked the fishermen's boats in the quiet little marina. The pelicans were hilarious to watch and don't make any noise. Our room was so quiet. Views out to sea were stunning from the roof pool and fresh made sushi on the comfy sofas made it feel like an Ibiza chill out roof bar. We didn't have to leave the hotel, although there are a couple of local restaurants within walking distance.

The approach to the hotel is still being finished and the road needs finishing but once inside the grounds, it is truly a slice of heaven. Modern art adorns the walls.

We can't wait to go back next year and take our best friends for a chill out but fun and civilised week. No kids under 18 this is the perfect solution for over worked people.

Room Tip: room over looking the marina are gorgeous
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cathayc
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great relaxing place! Pool was awesome! All staff was really friendly and helpful. The beach club was a great option to the pool, (it is a minute boat ride away from hotel). I would definitely go back. It is not a party place, I was there with my girlfriend and it was relaxing. The use of beach cruiser for free was great, we rode to the town everyday (20 mins). The room had a view of the Marina and that was nice to watch. The rooms definitely are not big. I liked that you can drink the beer and pop out of the mini fridge and they refill it everyday "no charge".
The Bad: The food was average and expensive. But there are a few options around hotel. They charged 20$ an/hr to use the SUP at the Beach Club, that seemed kinda off.
Overall I definitely recommend it for a couples getaway!

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the Marina.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A close friend/travel agent booked el Ganzo for us, and our first trip (just wife and I) to Cabo San Juan or San Lucas). While "off season," we loved the chill atmosphere of the hotel and staff. Far different than a walled off all-inclusive and right in the heart of a sleepy little marina/fishing port. Hotel is serene and contemporary decor is great. Staff is fantastic - attentive, warm and real. Roof top pool is all others say, very cool -- able to read, eat, drink and listen to great music.
Food at the hotel is good, not great (save for breakfast) but plenty of places a car ride away.
Nice find were the "grounds" - while the property is literally right on the marina, walking, jogging or biking around the marina, to the beach and further, has some great finds in terms of sculpture garden, botanical gardens, etc.
Fantastic place for 4-5 days: made us feel relaxed, comfortable and they were happy to give advice to first time folks in Cabo. If you want a bit more peace, still feel hip, and not get too immersed in the "other Cabo" - el Ganzo is definitely a must look at.

Room Tip: all rooms are good in terms of view - some bigger ones on the 4th floor and easiest access to pool...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John R
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel El Ganzo? Share your experiences!