“Secrets does a great job of giving you a gorgeous location, good food and awesome drinks. The rest it up to you.”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The resort needs a lot of work before they can start charging full price. But for the discounted rate, it is more than worth it.

It is a long distance from the Cabo I am used to. Once you hit the main road, you go left, not right. But it is still beautiful. I have never stayed at a resort this new. Per usual, the time you have here will depend on the person or people you are with. So leave your ex at home!

The grounds are beautiful. Golf course, sand and sea. The desert surroundings mesh well with it all. It is a long walk from one end of the resort to another, so you can take it all in. (Helps to burn off those extra tequila calories.)

FYI: Cabo in April was much cooler than I expected. A bit chilly at night and in the mornings.

The rooms are smaller here than at Secrets Marquee, but they are just as nice.

*When you arrive at your room, that “interesting” video with the soft whispering voice, kids, elephants, topless woman and relaxing music, will be awaiting you, on the TV. When I hear and see and hear this, I know I am at SECRETS. “Time becomes hours, hours become days, days become months…..” the soft voice will tell you this every day. I am sure the people that clean the room must HATE that voice. No complaints about the room. I do have a complaint about the water.

I had to call room service many times to get bottled water to the room. The bottles are smaller than I am used to in any resort in Cabo that I have been, and I ran out all the time. (I am not even a huge water drinker!) It is not a good thing to run out of drinking water in Mexico.

WARNING: You know how nice it feels to get up in the early morning and run down to the pool to save your favorite chairs? Casually throw a towel over a couple of chairs, leave a book you never intend to read on one of them, and a bottle of sunscreen on the other? Maybe even a cheap pair of sandals as well, just to keep the illusion going that you are not saving chairs? Yeah, me neither. If you do that, you suck. By 8am, EVERY decently located chair was “saved” by some inconsiderate person. The resort was maybe half full. What will they do when the numbers grow? The resort does not care about the saving of chairs. I saw employees being tipped to save chairs for people, and they did. If you are one of these people, you should start smoking cigarettes.

Gym is tiny. Ok for now, but later, when the occupancy grows??? Every morning, towels were gone and cups for water were gone. How hard is it to keep cups and towels stocked?

I was never asked about doing a time share. I think I scared them right off the bat. Just say “I JUST WANT TO GO TO MY ROOM!” and they will leave you alone for the rest of the trip.

Food was good. Disappointed that there was no Ceviche menu like at Marquee. Drinks were good. Service was good. The Benihana style restaurant was awesome! The guy with the knives was better than the Benihana guy I saw 3 weeks ago, at Benihana. BLATANT HINT: If you like smoked salmon, you MUST eat breakfast at the gorgeous Oceana. I am not exaggerating, it was the best lox and bagel plate I have ever had! Seriously. Service at Portofino was horrible. The place itself was awesome looking. Maybe it was an off night. Given the wrong orders, wrong drinks, and had to wait 15 minutes for an unfriendly waiter to even show up to begin with. The sports bar is so well done, it looks like a Hollywood bar that would be packed every day!
Spa is super expensive.

Internet is great throughout the resort.

Too much tipping going on. I started to feel like $1/drink was being cheap. If I want to worry about tipping and money, why would I bother going to an all-inclusive? That is the novelty of it for me, leave my wallet in a far away place. Charge me more up front and pay the staff better.

Secrets is great. This is a new place and needs work, but I had a blast. How can you not have fun on a getaway? I am a bit nervous for them about the occupancy issue. Unless they make some serious changes, they better keep the number of guests low.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Baronent

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the new Secrets Cabo San Lucas resort and spa for six wonderful filled days. We enjoyed every moment. Service is the highest priority and all employees go above and beyond to ensure that all guest are happy. The restaurants provide great food...all six of them. The spa is out of this world!!! It was so great that my wife and I booked two separate massages. The resort provides the most amazing ocean views from all rooms. The rooms were somewhat spacious and relaxing. Room services is provided but be prepared to wait awhile for your food to arrive.
The pools are very inviting with constant bar service provided as you relax and soak up some sun. There is also a bar next to the beach area with lounge chairs provided under shaded huts. Lastly, there is a night club for those that wanna get your boogie on and also a live band that plays in a separate bar area for easy listening music. Overall, the stay was amazing and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charles R
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I just returned from spending 5 days at Puerto Los Cabos! What an amazing trip. We had 2106 with a swim out located next to the main building and amazing views of the pool and some of the ocean. The room was beautiful and the bed slept very well. Reyna from housekeeping was super sweet. Turndown service was nice with the updates on the weather and actives for the following day.

The pool was awesome. Luis made sure we were well taken care of with towels and being comfortable while poolside.

Ashley from entertainment was very nice! We went on bike tours to the Marina. They had several activities during the day and night.

Resturants was good! Oceana for breakfast was the best as well as the Asian and Italian resturants. Checking in and out was smooth. The spa was fabulous,, This resort has it all!! I also used Cabo Tranfers to and from the Hotel. Miguel was very punctual and professional. His vehicle was very clean. I plan on returning in 6 months!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Netavia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The hotel and grounds are beautiful, or will be as the plants grow. The 2 pools are very nice, with views of the ocean. The pools need railings to enter. We had my 80 something parents with us and is was impossible for them to get into the pool by themselves. Far from town and a long way back from the beach. We had to pay extra to get a room in bldg 8 to see the beach and the waves. Beach is not really walkable. Long walk down to the ocean. Again not great for older folks.
The rooms were very nice . The door closers could be alot quieter. The people next door liked to be up at and about by 6:00 am They also mop and sweep the floors outside your door and chatter while they are working. They woke me up at 7:00 am. Did not get to sleep in at this resort.
The entertainment in the evening is very lame. there was alot of people wandering around with nothing to do. The shows were not very good and were in the ballroom with uncomfortable chairs. The music in the birdcage lounge is underutilized. We did some dancing there, but they only played until 9:00, thats if they showed up. The disco is a joke unless you are 20 years old. The entertainment staff were having fun playing pool and dancing. Not for the over 40 crowd. Crappy music and uncomfortable seating and a small dance floor.
The restaurants were all good. but only 3 were open in the evening. they rotate which ones are open.
The staff were fantastic , everyone is very friendly. I want to acknowledge several. Pedro and Seraphina in the barefoot grill. Marvin in the buffet. Alejandro at the small pool. Felix the bell boy. Sergio at the front desk. Jeni, Daniella and Erica at the birdcage lounge. Isaac at the preferred bar. Ulyssis, beach bartender.
This was an ok holiday, but not what I expected from a Secrets hotel. We have stayed at much cheaper all inclusives and had much better entertainment and closer to town and the beach.

Room Tip: If you want to see the beach and the waves, you have no choice but to stay in bldg. 8. Bldgs 1.2.3...
2  Thank leebur
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our first time traveling to Cabo and wanted to be closer to town but once we arrived to the resort and saw our view from the 3rd floor of building 4 overlooking the golf course and Sea of Cortez we knew we made the right decision. Leonardo at the pool was very helpful making sure to provide chairs and umbrellas. We ate at all of the restaurants but could not get reservations at the hibachi which was disappointing. Our favorite was Oceana and the entire staff there. Room service was excellent and the entertainment staff as well as the bands and nightly shows. Beautiful resort! I would go back. Did not like that our bacolony was not completely private. Wall on one side but open to neighbors on the other but I guess that would take away from the amazing view.

Room Tip: Junior suite with ocean view
2  Thank Dawn V
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a beautiful resort overlooking the Sea of Cortez. We had a 3rd floor room room overlooking the ocean in building 4. We were able to watch the whales jumping and splashing from our room. The beach is an awesome place to relax, great drink service on the beach.

Five different restaurants on the property, all had great food, with great presentation and excellent service. The staff in the restaurants can not do enough for you and they are extremely polite. The entire facility is brand new but is kept extremely clean. In a few years when all of the shrubbery matures it will just enhance the property.

The rooms are large, comfortable and quiet. Beds sleep GREAT!!!!

Some issues with our maid service, our room was missed 3 nights out of 6, and we never returned to our room until 9:00 PM or later. Dirty dishes were left in our "Secrets Box" for 2 days, even after we notified the front desk. Also ordered room service the night before we had to leave the resort early for an excursion, the meal was never delivered and we called the front desk and were put on hold and never received an answer. Also sent clothing out with laundry service and our clothing ended up missing for 2 days, also could not receive satisfaction from the front desk regarding this issue. Hopefully after being open a few more months they can work out these kinks or at least learn to communicate with guests when there is a problem.

Over-all the most relaxing vacation my wife and I have ever had the opportunity to enjoy. Great resort, beautiful location!

Room Tip: Choose a 3rd or 4th level room for a great view of the ocean. We were able to watch the whales jump...
2  Thank Randy E
Reviewed 10 March 2014

All I can say is WOW to start. We were absolutely treated like royalty while at this hotel. The ground's were beautiful, the room was as well, and the food at every restaurant was just wonderful. We had to wait for a table at the Mexican restaurant but they gave us a buzzer device like they would at outback restaurants. We just waited at our club bar and had a few drinks and visited with well, actually, the bartender who was just lovely.I recommend if you get a room a club room would be your best bet, that's the best club I have seen yet and we do get club rooms alot of the time.The German chef is awsum. They have breakfast, lunch and dinner food in there with fruit cheese and other snacks through out the day and it's all just perfect. OUR room was an ocean view near the club and pretty much near everything. The bed was very comfortable and I am used to hilton beds and this ranked up there with that in comfort. All the dining places were great even the Italian. We didn't do the oriental one we were only there for 3 days but they were the best 3 days thank you secrets for the best time ever, can't wait to come back..I won't keep this place a secret from Robert and CC.

Room Tip: Get a club room you will be happy
3  Thank clkaka
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#22 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
#42 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#21 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!