Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just a short review of the new Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. This was by far the most enjoyable resort we have ever stayed at. We were there from 04/05/2014 to 04/12/2014. this is a new AI resort and it is AWESOME. The staff was great, the food and beverage service was outstanding. would like to thank Luis @ the preferred Club, also Daniel there. This resort is just beautiful and well thought out. words and pictures do not do justice. Must see in person to appreciate. Once again wish to thank the entire Secrets staff.

5  Thank dlw1957
Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and just returned from Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. This was our second trip to Los Cabos and our first at this property since it just opened in December of 2013. The property, staff, and service could have been better. We have traveled to Mexico for the past 10 years and stayed in a variety of resorts, including other Secrets Adults Only resorts. This resort would rank in our top three. The rooms are very nice and the views are even better. The food was excellent, however the nightly entertainment could be a little better but it all depends what your looking for after a long day of fun and sun at the beautiful pool.

A word of caution if you choose to stay at this resort. After check-in, you will be given $200.00 worth of resort coupons. You will then be escorted to the VIP desk and badgered in to signing up for a 90 minute presentation for vacation timeshare. They will not call it a timeshare. It is called Unlimited Vacations Club. If you and your spouse have 90 minutes to waste and would like additional Spa coupons valued at $200.00, and have a strong will to "just say no", then by all means go for it.

Even after we said we were not interested, two more Sales Managers tried to persuade us to purchase the vacation club. The initial price will be extremely high, the more you say no, the lower the price will go. I spoke with two couples who actually purchased the membership while we were there. They both paid in excess of $10,000 for their membership. You can confirm this information by going to google, and typing in Unlimited Vacations Complaints.

Other than the timeshare sales pitch, our stay was next to perfect !

Room Tip: Building 2 3rd floor or above.
4  Thank Neal K
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just returned from Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. Best vacation ever! Stayed at many all inclusive resorts and this was by far the best. The location, facilities, staff, amenities and guests were awesome. Daniella with the entertainment staff was the most energetic and friendly person at the resort, but they all are great. Meals were good, especially the Japanese restaurant. Even the guest were great. Everyday we met more couples who were so nice to be around and we had a great time. At the end of most vacations many are ready to go home. Everyone said they weren't ready to leave and wanted to stay.

Room Tip: Unless you plan to stay at your room don't pay for swim out room. Looks great but most don'...
2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked an Apple Vacations Square Deal package (you book your dates, and they choose the hotel). We knew it would be a 6 apple adult only, all-inclusive hotel and it turned out to be Secrets Puerto. How lucky for us! This is a great hotel with the best food we have had on any of our Mexico vacations. There are currently 5 restaurants to choose from for dinner and each one was superb (we tried all but the Mexican). Hopefully the hotel will maintain its high quality of food and service. The staff was pleasant and very friendly and our room was large and comfortable. The bathroom included a huge stand-alone shower as well as a large jacuzzi tub - very nice!
The only drawback was the beach as swimming was discouraged due to a strong undertow.
But that is the case for almost all of the beaches on the Baja Peninsula. If you like ocean swimming, Cabo is probably not the place for you.
The pool was large and uncrowded - no problem getting a lounge chair. Poolside service was good, so no need to budge from your chair if you really just wanted to relax.
I would be nice if the resort offered a shuttle to San Jose del Cabo once or twice a day, as a taxi ride into town costs about $15 each way. A trip to Cabo San Lucas would set you back about $45 each way.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for honeymooners as well as anyone just wanting a relaxing few days in the sun.

2  Thank FCtravelgal
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My boyfriend and I booked through cheapcarribean.com and got an amazing deal. We are a couple in our early 30s, and found this resort to be exactly what we wanted and expected to be. Were extremely impress of our entire stay. The taxi drive over to the resort was the most expensive, plan on spending $65 one way and there is no way in getting out of this fee unless you agreed to attend one of those "time share" gigs.
We were greeted with a glass of champagne and checking in was a breeze. We were able to dodge the VIP table since there are only 2 representatives and they were busy with other guests so we went straight to the bell boy who walked us to our room. He gave us a mini tour of our room, which was really nice. I love the bathroom, the shower head is amazing!!!!
Food:
We were able to dine at all 4 restaurants the resort had to offer and by far the best ambience had to be the oceana, it is the only restaurant that is outdoors and closest to the beach. The golf course surrounds the resort, but unfortunately there is a pricey fee to play and extra for clubs.
My favorite was the Italian, their marinara sauce was amazing, it tasted so fresh, I wish I could have taken that sauce to go. The lamb was so tender and juicy, it's a huge portion so you'll leave satisfied for hours. As for the mexican and asian, both delicious and the chef at the mexican restaurant made my bday extra special with an amazing dessert. I didn't plan on eating any dessert but once it arrived I couldn't resist. The room service was great, there is this great secret box that you can request for food to be dropped in for those lazy days you don't' want to answer the door, great idea and one of a kind.
The market cafe was delicious for breakfast, hot fresh Belgium waffles, smoothies and omelets made to order. I once walked in during lunch hours and only wanted papaya and fruit to take back to the pool, but was disappointed to find no papaya, but the chef went to the back and brought out a plate. The hostess gave me a togo plate and I was back at poolside in time for the tequila tasting, definitely try the 1921 tequila cream, it was so good that my bf bought some at the airport on our way back.
As for the pool, it was so relaxing and gorgeous, my boyfriend and i felt we had the pool to our selves, no trouble in finding a chair, towel, or raft to lay on.
Beach: lots of construction going on, do not swim in the ocean, the sea of cortez is crazy and can pull you in and you'll never come back, so there is a life guard that keeps a close eye to make sure you don't get in too far. I'm sure in a few months the construction will be done and the beach area will be more lively.
Nightlife- is limited, The resort offered entertainment 8-10pm then there are two spots for cocktails: Desire sports club and Rendezvous lounge. Both are nice and drinks upon your request.
Downtown- definitley venture out to downtown Cabo San Jose, it's gorgeous, lots of great art, we heard from others Thursday is the place to be, they have art night and it's worth the trip, the resort offer a deal to go into downtown that night so make sure you save Thursday for that event.
Gym- only 4 treadmills, and waited for 10 minutes on one of the days, nice mini gym.
Spa- didn't experience.

On Easter they had a nice party out in the grass area and had these delicious chocolate eggs freshly prepared by the chefs at the resort, it was so good, I regret not taking some back to the room and saving it for the next day. Great live band and fire show, very entertaining.
We went to Cabo San Lucas June, 2013 and stayed at the Riu Palce and it was party central with tons of drunks everywhere, it was fun, but this trip we wanted quality food at a luxurious resort and Secrets definitely delivered. No complaints, paradise, wish we could have stayed longer.

7  Thank Eversoclear7
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm a big fan of Secrets and generally try to avoid hotels in their first year of opening but this property looked so beautiful we couldn't resist. I have to say we were not disappointed.

Landscaping & architecture - I challange anyone to find a more stunning resort in Mexico. I felt like I was stopping to take a photo every 5 minutes, every corner was a photo op. The infinity pools are stunning - make your way over to the quiet pool by Oceana, the views are sensational.

Food & drinks - top notch. I love that you know what to expect with Secrets restaurants and these did not disappoint. We had dinner at Himatsu, Portofino and twice at Oceana. The steaks and tuna were to die for (and we're from Alberta, we know our beef!), and portion sizes were just right. Room service was delicious and very fast, even after midnight! Drinks were also wonderful, none of the pre blended mostly food colouring slurpies you get at other resorts. The Mudslides and Mango Tango's are a MUST! Being able to order a mimosa any time was an added treat. We discovered the iced coffee at Coco Cafe on the last day and it was amazing, I wish we'd foudn it sooner!

Rooms - are beautiful. We stuck with the gardenview and we weren't sorry. The buildings are constructed so all baconies are ocean facing, there are no rooms facing the road, and because the first floor are all swim out you're basically guaranteed a great view from the 2nd floor up.

Negatives - only 2. The pools were SO COLD. There's no people in the pools in any of our photos for a reason. Even once you were in and under water we would be shivering. I think they need to be heated, or to crank the heat up, especially on cooler windy days. 2nd complaint was the shower in our room. It was gorgeous but as I've read in other reviews, the water doesn't drain the best and there is a bit of a smell after the 2nd or 3rd day. We started propping the door open with a towel and leaving the fan running all day which helped, but once you got the water running again there was a definitely mildewy smell in there.

Service at this resort was 11/10. I found myself tipping because I wanted to, we couldn't get over how kind and friendly EVERYONE was. We never felt like someone had their hand out and people who tipped and those that didn't were treated as equals.

We really missed swimming in the ocean... so I'm not sure we'd be back to Cabo, but if I ever went back I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else and would definitely recomment this place to anyone travelling to that part of Mexico! Next stop Secrets The Vine!

Room Tip: Gardenview rooms, esp in building 3 have incredible ocean views, so save your money!
8  Thank banker_barbie
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband told me to go to the spa on my birthday and I had never been to San Jose del Cabo before so I researched 10 different hotels. I finally went to visit Hotel El Ganzo and Secrets and had to go to Secrets.

You walk inside to a very high end (it was like the Montage in Laguna Beach for me) appointment desk where they are selling all sorts of delicious smelling lotions. A lady took me on a tour... the locker rooms were tranquil, there was a round area with 10 lounge chairs to relax in. You walk down the hall and there is an indoor lounge room that overlooks the hydrotherapy pool.

The hydrotherapy pool was amazing. In the big pool they have overhanging water to fall on your shoulders, jets for your knees, a lounge that bubbles on your back. There is also a cold plunge pool, and then a jacuzzi. The only downside is the wonderful ladies (and gentlemen) follow you around wanting to move you to something, or help you, and it's hard to 'relax'. They are sweet and well-meaning though. The steam and sauna room are also outside, however there is a steam room in the woman's locker room as well.

I had the water lilly treatment and my skin felt amazing. Then an 80 massage. Cynthia was wonderful, and kept asking me about the pressure (I should have told her harder, that was on me though) but super relaxing. Then after, she followed me and dragged me out to the lounge room to serve me complimentary champagne and a cake because it was my birthday! Sweetest thing ever!

Highly recommend this spa however it is expensive. :) Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#9 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!