Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
La Marina Inn(San Jose del Cabo)
View Hotel
Hotel El Ganzo(San Jose del Cabo)
View Hotel
Tropicana Inn(San Jose del Cabo)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Colli(San Jose del Cabo)
View Hotel
Hotel Posada Terranova(San Jose del Cabo)
View Hotel
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Ceci(San Jose del Cabo)
2,828 results
All reviewsseaside grillpreferred clubmarket cafeoceana restaurantroom serviceunlimited vacation clubel patiococo cafebarracuda barhydrotherapy circuitmain poolpuerto los cabosquiet poolentertainment staffocean viewbike tourbeach bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014

As the review before mine mentions - I read a ton of the reviews about this place before going, and there were definitely a few tips that helped me, so I wanted to leave a detailed review of my experience.

Airport -
As many have mentioned... do NOT talk to any of the time-share people as you are leaving the airport after picking up your bag. Me and my friends thought we were prepared for this until right before the last set of doors, one of the men standing there says "miss, the officer is talking to you!" and the "officer" threw me off... don't let them fool you. If you've booked transportation, they will be waiting OUTSIDE on the curb for you, holding a sign of their logo, not anywhere inside the actual airport. (Cabo Transfers is highly recommended for airport to hotel transportation - very friendly and professional.)

Overall Resort -
It was just opened late 2013, so everything is brand new. It's a very nice resort... very clean, beautiful, great ocean views. We upgraded to have private pool access which was totally worth it because of how hot it was.

There is beach access through a tunnel on the resort premises, but unfortunately you can't swim there because of the currents. (I wouldn't anyway... those waves were beautiful but enormous!) If you want to swim, there's a swimmable beach about 15-20 minutes walking distance but it's not as pretty as just watching the waves right on the resort's doorstep.

Something to note is that if you are looking for a party destination - this isn't it. Granted we went in the middle of July (VERY hot so the resort wasn't as booked up), but this is San Jose del Cabo, not Cabo San Lucas where all the clubs are (Cabo san lucas is a good 25 min drive from the resort... $50-60 cab ride.) I appreciated the quieter, relaxed atmosphere. It may also be busier in the months where it isn't so hot.

I also didn't bring any pesos with me and had no problem - everywhere accepted dollars.

Gym was well equipped and nice.

The pool right in front of Oceana is the best one... you can watch the waves from the pool. The other one by Seaside Grill is also cool but no view, and busier.

Food -
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was... I had read mixed reviews so wasn't sure what to expect. The only restaurant I wasn't particularly impressed with was Oceana - it wasn't bad, just not as great as the others. Himitsu was my favorite - if you want to make reservations, call the concierge EARLY... like 7:30 - 8am. I called at 8:30am to make reservations for that night (you have to do it day of) and only 6pm and 9pm were available. The food at El Patio is also great. Just make sure to pay attention to dress code.

Make sure to order your drinks double as single shot ones are weak.

Staff -
EXCELLENT staff. I read a review that said the staff weren't friendly and conversational like at other resorts... I very much disagree. Every single worker I ever passed on the premises always said hi to me. Excellent room service. All bartenders and servers were very nice, attentive, and seemed happy to help... never acted like they were just "doing their job". They put a lot of work into night life activities at the resort for the guests - again, since it was July and the hotel wasn't booked up, these were kind of poorly attended but still fun.

I came with 2 other friends, but saw mostly couples. Didn't see any families. I would highly recommend coming here - such a wonderful and relaxing experience!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
14  Thank BreannaJ59
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have to say that reading the reviews before we booked gave me a headache, because the negative ones seemed pretty negative, and the positives were great, so after my experience there, I promised myself that I would write a review when I got back so people could have a detailed review.
Before I even start my review, just an fyi...when you get off the plane and through customs, don't stop to talk to anyone....just go straight outside. We had 2 people stop us and tell us they were working with the hotel and 2 people in another room tell us they were working for Apple Vacations, all of which was a lie...they are selling time-shares. I had read the info on another person's review, and am grateful I did, so we knew to keep going.
We traveled from July 23rd to July 29th. As people have said, you get a cold, wet towel as soon as you get there. My ONLY complaint about the entire hotel is now....after we checked in, we were sent to an area to talk to someone to get our vouchers (which are a joke, really, because you can't use them together) and to be convinced to attend a Secrets timeshare (they don't call it that, but that is what it is). We had just traveled all day, were hot and tired, and the guy who was talking to us was getting pretty upset with us that we weren't agreeing to waste time at this breakfast. That was a real turn-off. I get that they have to do it, but after being accosted at the airport, this was the icing on the cake.

My husband and I were traveling together, and we had an ocean view. We asked for an ocean front upgrade, and it was going to cost us about 250 extra a night, so we said no. We were glad that we didn't. We were in building 2, on the fourth floor. We were close to the center, and we had a perfect ocean view. The suites are beautiful and spotless, and we had a perfect view of the ocean, from the room, the shower and the jacuzzi....brilliant architecture! The maid service was wonderful, and we had turn-down service each night.

I was expecting mediocre food after some of the reviews, but the food was great. We ate one meal that was just okay, so that is pretty good after 7 days. Also, keep in mind that when you go out and have very high-end food, you are spending about $300 with drinks..no resort is going to give you that each night and charge what Secrets is charging you for the week. Honestly, we are pretty picky about food, and were happy with all of it...even room service was great!

The entertainment staff was a lot of fun...they literally work from morning till night, and will go out of their way to get you involved and feeling comfortable. If you don't feel like doing a thing, no worries, but if you do, they have enough activities to keep you busy...always funny, always full of energy and always smiling.

The wait staff, both the bartending and the restaurant staff was OUT OF THIS WORLD! I wish I could name all of them, but Karla, Miguel, Artemio, Agustin, just to name a few. I have NEVER seen anyone work so hard just to make you happy and comfortable, and always smiling, even in 100 degree sun. They made the drinks any way you wanted them, and if you didn't look 150% happy, they made you another one. As for weak drinks, when my husband ordered strong ones, they were strong, so if you like them that way, just order them that way...they are not trying to make them weak to rip you off, but not everyone likes strong drinks. Bring a lot of singles, and be nice in your tipping...yes tipping is included, but the average employee gets paid 3-5 dollars a day, so if you can afford to stay here, you can afford a little extra in tips :).

The men at the front, like Horacio, work harder than any bell hop I have ever seen. Besides doing their jobs wonderfully, if they see you sitting in the lobby, they are right there to make sure you are okay, and they can't help you with something. I was so impressed with how hard they worked at problem-solving for everyone,along with all of their duties.

Here is the biggest reason why I will always choose Secrets hotels: On the 24th, we had what I thought was a hurricane (seemed like it to me, but more like a tropical storm). In the middle of the huge rain and winds, the hotel was still delivering room service!!! Here they were, in raincoats looking like Paddington Bear, holding onto food while the wind was blowing like crazy. Any US resort would have shut down all operations for the safety of their employees. My husband and I decided to brave the rain and wind and walk out to have breakfast, and immediately they bell men were ready to take us in the carts. We got to the lobby and another employee took us to the Market Cafe through the back way, so that we wouldn't get wet. After we had breakfast, we walked through the hotel complex, and it was complete devastation. We felt so bad for all of the grounds employees...the damage would have taken months to fix in the United States. I still can't believe it, but they were able to have everything cleaned within 4 hours, and were at about 75%. By the next morning, everything was back to normal. Other resorts (like the Riu) lost power and water for 4 hours, but we didn't. Secrets has generators and they kicked in right away...we had no idea that anything was any different, except for the quick light flicker. What they did to get everything back to normal so fast sold us on this hotel chain forever.

Thank you, Secrets Puerto, for a wonderful week. We couldn't have imagined a better quality experience...muchas gracias!

Room Tip: Get the 2nd building, ocean view, 4th or 5h floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Natisha702
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just got back from our family trip. Pretty consistent with the other reviews on this location. We were there 5 days and we were able to upgrade our room to a swim out room for an additional cost which came out to $40 add per day. Due to the upgrade and location, we really didn't get quite an ocean view. Everyday, we were at the main pool and then in the evening, we would use to the swim out to chat and enjoy beers and room service. We ate at all of the restaurants and our favorite was Portofino. The lasagna, Oso Buco, risotto, and spaghetti with meat sauce were excellent. We were very surprised that the dishes were so good! We went there twice for dinner and ordered the same thing. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. From housekeeping, bartenders, pool staff,front desk, restaurant, they definitely know how to treat their guests. The grounds were well kept and the place still looks brand new. We love that it's an adult only resort and the resort was about 50% occupied. A couple of drawbacks. The resort is about 45 min to an hour away from cabo san lucas marina area, depending on how fast your driver takes and it was about $60 one way. So, if you want to go into town and party every night, then probably not the place to be. It's a great place to enjoy the entire property and take advantage of the all inclusive, that's what you paid for. The other disappointment is that the property is pretty far back from the ocean and the main pool doesn't have that infinity look that makes it that much better. Also, the pool was way to warm. We didn't know what was hotter, in the pool or out? Overall, wonderful all inclusive property, great food, drinks, and staff. Would definitely visit again. We love going to Secrets and Now Resorts!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank tbonezz1
Reviewed 30 July 2014

In early July my husband and I along with my parents stayed for 5 nights at this top notch resort. Our experience was outstanding, with our single biggest complaint being that our trip was too short. Here’s a breakdown of our impressions:

- Beach. As clearly stated in other reviews, this is not a swimming beach. All things considered, the beach is otherwise great. The waves are magnificent to watch and beach vendors are kept at a far distance from the guests. There are plenty of palapas and we never had a problem getting a good seat. We also took advantage of the call-buttons on the palapas, which signal the waiter/waitress to find you (rather than them having to continually walk back and forth). There’s also a newly built beach bar that we enjoyed on several occasions for its prime location.

- Food. For an all-inclusive, the food quality was very high. We had the best meals at the Oceana and the least favorite at Himitsu. Ordered room service twice and were surprised to have it arrive in about 20 minutes. As a non-meat eater, however, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of options. At some of the restaurants, they had a special vegetarian menu, which was a nice attempt but listed only a few items from the regular menu that were strictly vegetarian (the full menu actually had other non-meat options). I had the biggest struggle at Himitsu because they didn’t understand why I didn’t want vegetables that had been cooked on the same surface as other guests’ meat dishes (my husband speaks Spanish and was trying to communicate this). At other restaurants I was able to order other dishes off the menu. I’m assuming that the resort is still defining its vegetarian options and will eventually be more accommodating.

- Room. We got a promotional rate and were not surprised that we were placed in one of the least preferred rooms in the hotel (second floor in the building furthest from the lobby). Even so, the room was fine. Before arriving, I had requested 2 rooms close together, which was honored. The ocean was very visible from our balcony and the room was spacious with lots of storage. We’re active people and the walk usually wasn’t bad. It was just a bit problematic because if we were at the beach and forgot something in our room, it was at least 15 minutes each way. Had we been traveling with people who had mobility difficulties, we would have paid for the upgrade if it meant having a closer room.

- Grounds. The resort was stunning and the grounds immaculately kept. As other reviewers have commented, some of the foliage is still developing. Make no mistake, this had no impact on our vacation. I only mention it because I predict that the resort will be absolutely magnificent in a year or 2 when they fully create an oasis in the desert.

- Activities. We didn’t partake in many activities, although there were many offered and people seemed to be enjoying them. The fireworks show on 4th of July, however, was pretty special.

- Service. Last but most importantly, the entire staff deserves accolades for their hard work, professionalism and kindness. Regrettably we did not stay long enough to really get to know the staff well and admittedly we have forgotten many of their names. Many individuals, however, did make an impression on us and we are thankful for all their efforts in making our vacation memorable. We were glad that we had planned and brought singles for tipping so that we could express our gratitude.

So, overall, a perfect trip for us! We were seriously considering going back in October but needed a swimmable beach, so Secrets the Vine will be our next stop.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a swim-out or preferred club would probably be worth it, although even our "garden view", second-floor room had a great view of the ocean. If there are any mobility issues with your party, request a room close to the lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank KatG07
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have just returned from a week at this beautiful place. I think Secrets offers an exceptional adult all-inclusive product. I have also stayed at the Secrets Puerto Vallarta, and I hope to visit many more of their properties in the future.

We had awesome service. This new hotel goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome and spoiled. The service was espciailly good during the day around the pool areas and at night at the restaurants. I felt like I always had a drink in my hand (thanks to Carla and Abel), and everyone there will make sure you are happy. Here is one example. My friend prefers Ocean Spray cranberry juice as opposed to the machine mixers that they have at the bars. She approached the bar manager to ask if they carried it, and the next thing we knew there was a large bottled delivered to our room three times during our stay.

The food was better than I imagined. We especially enjoyed the Italian and Japanese restaurants as well as Oceania. The seafood everywhere is very fresh and well prepared. We ate at the Beachside Grill near the swim up bar for lunch, but I also heard it is a good choice for dinner as well. It is true that every restaurant may not be open every night, but it is posted daily on the events channel. We never had a problem with waiting and enjoyed every meal we had during our stay.

We found plenty to do each day from swimming in the beautiful pools, playing ping-pong, singing Karoke, hanging out at the bar on the beach which has swings dangling from the rafters, and dancing in the sand and under the stars at the Beach Party our last night. This resort does not offer a non-stop busy, party atmosphere, but you can definitely find ways to have fun. Kuddos to entertainment personel like Jesus Feliz who printed off Chess intructions for us and hosted a Blackjack tournament on our one rainy morning. For those that don't know.

The buildings are beautiful inside and out. The landscaping has a long way to go because it is so new, but will be incredible someday. I loved the lay out of the entire property. It was incredibly well designed. They are constantly grooming and maintaining the property. We had a nasty storm one morning which left chairs in the pools, uprooted palm trees, bent umbrellas, and flooded the lobby. It was so bad that I was worried how it would affect the rest of our stay. That concern left quickly when they brought in extra workers for the massive clean-up and everything looked amazing by that afternoon.

Only a couple of cons to mention. July is hot, but much less expensive! Take the good with the bad. We lived in the pools with lots of lotion, but still got sunburned. The other is that this hotel is quite a trip to Cabo San Lucas and the Arch. However, be sure to ask about the shuttle. It is less expensive than a cab.

Overall, this an amazing, luxury resort the potential to be one of the top places to stay in Cabo. It is just new, but they are off to a great start. Keep it up. We loved our stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends