“Big Secrets fan...this one disappointed”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed at every Secrets in Mexico (several multiple times) and we love the properties. All the restaurants are the same (even the names) at all the properties. The food, service, rooms, etc. are all exceptional. The disappointment in this property came down to one thing....layout.

Here's the negative scoop on this property that no one has mentioned in the prior reviews:

1) All the reviews I read prior to booking said the garden view rooms were the same as ocean view. This is absolutely false. Garden view rooms are the 1st-3rd floors in buildings 1 and 2. The problem is they have building 3 and 4 between them and the ocean....so from your patio you are looking directly at another building. The 5th and 6ths floors in these two building are oceanview...as you can see over the other two buildings.

2) Think twice before upgrading to a swim out unless you go to building 8. You literally can't see the beach or the waves breaking from the first floor of ANY building. You can't even hear the sound of the waves in any except building 8 (ocean front).

These are the two main considerations when booking a room. We bought the Seas The Deal with a garden view. After seeing the situation with another building between us and the beach....we upgraded to a swim out suit in building two. It looked directly into the side of a hill...that was a fairway on the golf course. When then upgraded AGAIN to building 8...which is considered ocean front but you still can't see the beach or the waves...again because of rolling hills of the golf course. They either built the resort around the existing golf course...or if they built them simultaneously....they definitely put more emphasis on the course.

3) There are no tables in the swim out rooms (either on the patios or in the room. You have to eat room service on the bed!

I wish someone had mentioned these few points before I booked. It would have saved me hours and my sanity when we checked in....not to mention $1,100 for room upgrades...and I still had the EXACT same room layout...just ocean front...which is still 100 yards from the beach with a fairway/hill in you sight!

good luck!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank scott b

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed the last week if June. This was our fifth stay at a Secrets resort and once again, it met if not exceeded our expectations. Everything was perfect from the food to the pool to the drinks, perfect vacation. Went zip lining with cabo adventures, definitely would recommend! Definitely a quieter resort and not even close to capacity but that did not take away from any part of our vacation. We will likely go back! Book with confidence

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 881chada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We just returned from Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. If you like to simply relax, you will love this place. I found it to be somewhat boring as the resort is 30 min away from the nearest town. My biggest disappointment was that the pool is 4.5 ft and since I am only 4'10", I could not touch bottom! I had envisioned myself walking around the beautiful pool, taking the water aerobics class, etc. I do not swim, so my pool time was limited. The floats they provide were extremely bulky for me. The food was presented beautifully, but the quality was very mediocre. Being of Italian descent I was eager to visit the Portofino restaurant. Very disappointing, and, may I add, the only rude waiter during our 5 day trip there. The room was gorgeous but the 2 times we ordered room service, food items were missing from the order. I don't think I would ever go back to this Secrets. If I do return to Cabo, it would definitely be in San Cabo, not San Jose.

Room Tip: Swim outs look beautiful, however they wanted to charge us $600 more for 4 nights in one. People be...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The location is absolutely stunning! Vistas from every angle. This location is far more scenic than Cabo and without all the touristic crap. Pure natural beauty that is enhanced by a first class hotel. The hotel runs like a well oiled machine. Never a beat is missed.

Pools are stunning...relaxing and fun if you choose to get involved. Plenty of chairs, umbrellas and towels. Never felt like we needed to rush down to reserve anything. Pool service was on top of everything. Only one tiny downside. It is so HOT that by 4pm the water is no longer refreshing. It becomes luke warm. Hotel could fix this by adding fresh cold water each night. Otherwise the pools are a delight. The floats are awesome and the main pool is so huge you can just float all over the place. Loved the pool buffet that always had chip...salsa...guacamole and great finger food. So no need to clean up for lunch if you did not feel like it.

Food:

Creative and plentiful. I would give it a solid 4 stars. I think there is something for everyone. We ate at every single restaurant and some of them more than once. Variety is good...presentation is always great. Quality of the food was very good. Good solid and creative choices. I only had one mediocre meal and that was Oceana the first night. And that was because my filet mignon arrived cold. Easy fix.

All the restaurants are beautiful. You have Mexican, Italian, Japanese, seafood, pool grill, market cafe and a coffee/tea cafe. You will never go hungry. I was so VERY pleased with the food.

Room

Gorgeous...large and clean. Bathrooms are fantastic! Sexy shower and a huge jetted tub large enough for 2. Two separate vanities. This is probably the best laid out bathroom I have EVER enjoyed. Loved my bathroom. Beds are comfy. Balconies are lovely.

Forget the swim out pool rooms...they have no view unless you are in the only oceanfront building. MUST get a high floor. The views are worth it. I paid $240 extra for my 5 nights. Building 1 on the 4th floor is perfection. Close to everything and the best view. This resort is spread out so some buildings are far away.

Oh and your legs will get some exercise...lots of stairs but never felt inconvenienced. There are elevators but not in the obvious places...you will need to find them!

All in all I LOVED my stay here. Truly did not want to leave. Do the Arch and lands end tour. It is an awesome tour for only $40. You will be driven to cabo in a nice van. Boat ride out to the gorgeous rocks and stunning lovers beach and divorce beach. Then shop or eat around Cabo or head back you are given the choice. An excellent tour and value.

Also get involved with the activities. They were fun...archery...rifle shooting...putt putt...bocci...we did it all and still had plenty of chill time.
We also danced all night in the nightclub. Very fun.

This hotel is not close to Cabo and I liked it that way.

Never wanted to leave!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Islanddiamond
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This place is one of the best places we have been to. Very excellent service, very quiet, beautiful, and awesome views. The pool is huge and very nice. The food was decent, room service was great. We will be back to this place for sure. All the staff was friendly an went above and beyond.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Hdoerfler
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Lets start with the apple charter we booked.. it was a 6 apple square deal. we arrived at Ohare airport and the agent said they booked us at secrets Puerto los cabos. We thought Great! its a brand new resort! Apple vacations had a nice charter flight through frontier airlines, I upgraded for 50 dollars for more leg room for two! From the airport to the resort was a quick 20 min nonstop little short bus. this was nice, as I have been before were they stop like at a million resorts and yours is always the last stop. lets get on to the resort.. Its brand new! whats there not to fall in love right? ok the check in was somewhat painless. the resort is pretty big, but isn't laid out properly. Its a Far walk to everything if they put you in the far building.. meaning my Ironman Fiancee was complaining of the hike! Typically this isn't a problem, but walking to dinner I would show up sweating bullets. stairways and walkways and elevators aren't laid out properly, nor designed correctly. the hotel appearance is nice as its brand new. the landscaping will be nice in a year or two.. the pool areas are decent with a good amount of chairs. the hotel was at 40% maybe less when we where there. I could see there being a problem if resort was full..

We stayed from Saturday 7/26/2014 thru 8/2/2014.
The beach: its a decent hike 5-12min depending which building your in. the beach looks nice, but for the average person its non swimmable. they have the red flag put up and a lifeguard that tells you, that you cant go in. the red flag looks orange now from sitting out there all year. their are times were the ocean is calm enough to go in however the resort is lazy and doesn't change the flag.

drinks: they are decent, the waiters hustle, their are plenty of them coming around at the pool and beach.

Food: the resort food is average at best! we have been to so many better places for cheaper. so the buffet is small definitely lacking. food taste bland everywhere. fruits are not ripe, veggies have no taste etc.. just cheap quality food overall. on day 4 I ate tuna steak at the oceania grill for dinner. woke up 3 hours later hugging the toilet. it was pretty serious. I consider myself a pretty stong guy at 6'5" and 210lb and in decent shape. and this food put me out! I was hugging the toilet for about 12 hrs. then sitting on the toilet every 30min for the next 30hours I couldn't eat much of anything for 2 days.. just crackers, soup and water. some tea etc... 3 days after I finally got a sandwich in me. It has been 1 week today and I still feel the effects of that bad fish. anyways. I totally hold they liable for bad food! I mean come on, the chef has to know the fish is old and stale. but they totally covered it up by drowning it in butter. on the upside the "best food" the resort had to offer was in the portofinos. this was average to slightly above food... all the other food options were below average in my opinion. and I am comparing this other resorts, cruises, other restaurants etc..

I made hotel management aware of the situation. they did little to nothing. other then offer an apology.
anyways I figure I get this review out there about the food, because there are way too many people writing saying the food is great! Those people must be eating mcdonalds or wendys everyday back home.. so I guess to them it might appear to be great.

This is my second secrets resort I have been to... I doubt there would be a third unless its free!

Overall: pretty hotel, pretty non swimmable beach, decent drinks, crapola food. far from los cabos
lousy architect design

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChrisPetro007
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a 5 days 4 nights vacation at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Resort, and we absolutely LOVED it!
Service was superb. Every staff there was so polite and friendly, very happy with their services.
The entrance of the resort was grand. The staffs handed us a hot towel and took care of our luggage upon arrival. The check-in was quick. The staff gave us resort coupons and invited us to join the breakfast the next day and listen to a 90 min presentation.
We politely rejected the invitation (read many reviews about the Time Share presentation so we were prepared) and the staff was not pushy at all. He then led us to another staff and showed us the room.
We got our garden view room in tower 3 level 2. There was another building in front of our room but we could still see the ocean. The view was beautiful. I'm sure you get better view with higher floors but we just didn't want to spend the extra money to upgrade the room.
There were many activities throughout the day. I think there was "Casino night" on 1 of the nights, but we just walked by and didn't join. We joined the Friday night concert at the beach and watched the fire show. It was spectacular! There was also pool volleyball almost everyday.
We tried all the restaurants in the resort and the food was good. I would give an overall grade A-. We especially liked the Himitsu and the Coco cafe. The coffee and cakes at Coco cafe were delicious! Since we went at the low season, not every restaurant was open during lunch and dinner. Make sure you check with the concierge before heading out for a meal.
We really liked that we got to call any landlines in US and Canada for FREE! WiFi was free but the connection at tower 3 was bad. We found that the lobby has the strongest WiFi signal.
Everything went really well until my last night of our stay. There were about 4-6 drunk people came into the room just beneath our room. Started shouting, talking, and laughing really loud from 2 am to 4 am!!! I wanted to talk to them but didn't at the end because we were afraid they would do something bad to us since they were so drunk. We regret that we didn't call the concierge. I understand it had nothing to do with the resort but this incident totally ruined my perfect vacation.
A very pleasant stay overall. Would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!