“Wonderful!”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from 6 days at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and had a great time. We were greeted at check in with champagne and even upgraded to a "swim out" room because they knew we were on our honeymoon. Service was absolutely outstanding in all areas of the resort! Everywhere we went we were greeted and asked if we needed anything. The entertainment staff was exceptional as well. From dance lessons, aqua volleyball, to beach parties; the entertainment staff was so friendly and always informative of the days events. I would definitely recommend this resort to all.

2  Thank Jessica V
There are newer reviews for Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place was a dream come true as soon as we walked into the lobby. The food was outstanding and the staff was excellent. The pools were incredibly clean, clear, warm, and beautiful. We enjoyed all the activities to do such as water volleyball, tennis, bike riding, walking, going to the gym, and much more. Each night there was great entertainment. The rooms were amazing! Large, open, clean, unique, and comfortable. I loved how we were just far enough away from the busy town. I can't wait to return on this trip!!

3  Thank Heidi K
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had a wonderful 5 night stay at this beautiful resort last week. I went with a friend and it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. There were lots of couples but there were also groups of friends and families with older children, now adults. We were upgraded to the Preferred Club which was a great perk. We didn't even see the lobby for the first two days because a golf car met us as we were getting out of the cab and took us directly to the Club for check-in. The room was a good size, with a large beautiful bathroom and a lovely view. I wouldn't call it a suite. I've stayed at Dream Punta Cana and those suites have separate seating areas with sofa, love seat and coffee table but this had just one small "sofa." It still was lovely.

The buffet at market place was underwhelming at breakfast and at the themed dinners. I went for the Mexican Fiesta and the Latin Night. I don't usually expect much from a buffet and was really only going to hear the live music. While the entertainment was great, the food was just okay. However, the food at the Japanese and Mexican restaurants is delicious. The Italian place is also good. Seaside Grill was okay. I did not make it to Oceana. The Barefoot Grill was perfect for lunchtime dining and snacking by the pool.

There's plenty of activities to take part in during the day poolside and throughout the resort. We did more reading and then took advantage of the live music or DJ at the club. There's a list of activities printed each day and it's also available on the TV. I would suggest the hotel make a few days of activities available in advance so you can plan ahead.

Everything about the resort was lovely. The decor was great and the resort was super clean. The staff were so friendly. I have to send special thanks to Ada at the Preferred Club, Flavio and Antonio at the Rendezvous Lobby Bar, Jesus at Portofino and Naomi, Lilliana and Yemi who floated between Rendezous, Desires Club and poolside. I would also add that the guests at this resort were lovely. The spa was very nice. The prices were more than I pay in NYC but there was a promotion with a 30% discount so I took advantage.

I can't say enough good things about this trip. I would definitely return again and would stay even longer. I hope to check out Dreams Costa Rica in January.

I do have two recommendations for the hotel. Please improve the music at the pool. It was painful. Also, one of the TV promotion channels should promote the resorts in other parts such as DR, Jamaica, Mexico and Costa Rica. I hope the other resorts are as great as this one.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Monica G
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Ended up here by default. Wanted a quick getaway with a direct flight from Calgary, and pretty much last minute. All in all a very relaxing and easy experience. Great food in all venues. Great service in all but one venue. The much raved about Portofino being the exception. It seems Roberto (waiter) couldn't be bothered with solo travellers and so decided his services could be perfunctory, rushed and rude - courses were forgotten, stacked like Ohare and rushed.
Room was clean, maid service somewhat randomly timed, but turndown service always perfect.
There is an app for phone/tablets which could be better utilized by the resort. Perhaps keeping restaurant opening times updated daily? (Caught out twice by this little omission). Also maybe a listing of evening entertainment? It seems only logical to be a goto place for this info.
My first time at a Secrets - I would revisit this Brand. My first time in Baja and likely my last. This place is about the resort, not the surrounding culture.

Room Tip: Top floor for view - Main floor for Swim out
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Kr0mski
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just back from a week at SPLC. We did the Apple square deal, and were placed at this resort along with everyone else we spoke with.
Check in was different, we arrived with a bus load of other guests.We were all placed in a room and handed our room assignments. Then we were escorted to our room by a bellman. The lights and AC did not work. (Once you check in the front desk needs to program on a computer that someone is checked into the room to turn on the power).The bellman seemed to big in a large hurry and we had to ask how to get the lights on etc.Then after asking for help he called the front desk to have things turned on.This resort is very lrg and spread out. We were placed in the furthest building.It was a long walk just from the lobby, not to mention how long of a walk to the pool, restaurants etc.There was only 1 elevator we found in the building.We thought this was not to our liking after seeing the view from the room also.We did ask to change to a different room due to a walking issue.When we went back down to the front desk and ask to move to a more central location, they easily accomidated our request and we received a room right above the restaurants. Wonderful location and view.We were very happy we asked!
Food, this is were things are subjective! IN MY OPINION the food was average! Differently no consistency Some restaurants we went to more than once because we liked it on a prior night, but found that it was not even comparable the second time around.
Portoffino and Himatsu were our 2 favorites.
The buffet at the Theme nights is not worth doing! The variety of food was alot less then we have encountered at all the other Secrets resorts we have visited.
Rooms, nice room no complaints the bathroom layout is probably the best we have encountered.
AC works well and kept clean. No extras like towel art, the little things that I like. But, good.
Room service menu was the smallest and the least variety of any resort we have visited.
Pool Area, nice large, staff bringing drinks hardly ever made it to end of the pool, the same people in the pool occupied all there time wanting drinks and shotts everytime the employee walked by.
Beach, you cannot swim in the beach as all have said. AND LISTEN TO THE WARNING,
someone did venture into the water and got hurt! Not a good way to spend your vacation,
Layout of the resort, odd not well planned, few elevators and oddly marked numbering on the floors and elevators, not sure what the reason was! LOTS OF STAIRS! Lot of walking!
Overall, we had a good time, descent food, with a great view and a really nice room.We will not be returning, to many other resorts to visit.

Room Tip: Hardly no evening entertainment!
6  Thank sukieakie
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed at every Secrets in Mexico (several multiple times) and we love the properties. All the restaurants are the same (even the names) at all the properties. The food, service, rooms, etc. are all exceptional. The disappointment in this property came down to one thing....layout.

Here's the negative scoop on this property that no one has mentioned in the prior reviews:

1) All the reviews I read prior to booking said the garden view rooms were the same as ocean view. This is absolutely false. Garden view rooms are the 1st-3rd floors in buildings 1 and 2. The problem is they have building 3 and 4 between them and the ocean....so from your patio you are looking directly at another building. The 5th and 6ths floors in these two building are oceanview...as you can see over the other two buildings.

2) Think twice before upgrading to a swim out unless you go to building 8. You literally can't see the beach or the waves breaking from the first floor of ANY building. You can't even hear the sound of the waves in any except building 8 (ocean front).

These are the two main considerations when booking a room. We bought the Seas The Deal with a garden view. After seeing the situation with another building between us and the beach....we upgraded to a swim out suit in building two. It looked directly into the side of a hill...that was a fairway on the golf course. When then upgraded AGAIN to building 8...which is considered ocean front but you still can't see the beach or the waves...again because of rolling hills of the golf course. They either built the resort around the existing golf course...or if they built them simultaneously....they definitely put more emphasis on the course.

3) There are no tables in the swim out rooms (either on the patios or in the room. You have to eat room service on the bed!

I wish someone had mentioned these few points before I booked. It would have saved me hours and my sanity when we checked in....not to mention $1,100 for room upgrades...and I still had the EXACT same room layout...just ocean front...which is still 100 yards from the beach with a fairway/hill in you sight!

good luck!

9  Thank scott b
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed the last week if June. This was our fifth stay at a Secrets resort and once again, it met if not exceeded our expectations. Everything was perfect from the food to the pool to the drinks, perfect vacation. Went zip lining with cabo adventures, definitely would recommend! Definitely a quieter resort and not even close to capacity but that did not take away from any part of our vacation. We will likely go back! Book with confidence

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 881chada
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!