“Great Stay.”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Stay.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently stayed here in July of this year and this resort is very nice. It is a brand new resort with lots of great ammenties. The only thing missing was more music or somthing to brighten up each day and hallways. We were always helped by Mr. Oscar and we wanted to THANK YOU for all your help. Overall, a great time in Los Cabos.

Stanley and Margaret from Chicago

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I went there from July 31-August 4 with a group of 12 from my husband's company.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Checking in was a breeze and took just a couple of minutes while we sipped on complimentary sparkling wine.

The Rooms
We were on building 5 on the second floor and had an amazing view of the golf course and the ocean. We were offered an upgrade to a first floor room with a swim up, but it didn't seem private enough like the other Secrets Maroma in Cancun. Plus the second floor had a better view of the ocean.

The room was amazing, the bathroom is so beautiful and they supply absolutely everything! Toothbrushes, toothpaste, razor, SPF 15 sunblock, you name it. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion smell really good too, that's a plus for me personally. The shower was also really cool with an overhead rain shower head and a detachable shower head.

The Grounds
The grounds were beautifully landscaped with a combination of cacti and tropical plants and trees. Everywhere you went they had very nice and comfy furniture. We walked into the gym to check it out and were very impressed at all the equipment they had. We workout quite a bit at home and we had all intentions of using their gym. However, vacation mode took over.

We spent a lot of time at the pool bar, which is always a plus for us.

The beach is not swimmable, as expected. But one of the entertainment girls, Maria, took us on the beach walk that they do daily. The beach walk is a 10-15 minute walk to an area that is swimmable and is right in front of Charlie Sheen's hotel.

Coco cafe serves great coffee.

The Spa
The spa is beautiful and super relaxing. When we first got there and walked around to see the resort they were nice enough to give us a tour and we booked a couples massage for the next day.
We did the hydrotherapy circuit first then our couples massage and we both had amazing massages. My husband is very particular about his deep tissue massage and he says Angeles did it right, deep enough but not to the point of hurting where you feel you're left bruised (yes, he's had that or just not deep enough). Mine was absolutely heaven.
When we were done with our massages they had a piece of birthday cake and sparkling wine waiting for us in the lounging area for my husband. It was his bday that day.

Nightlife
At night we would stop at the bird cage bar either before or after dinner. Despite previews reviews, it doesn't seem that much of a piano bar type with elevator music and old people, at least not during the time we were there. They played upbeat music but not loud and had a mixed crowd. A little tip, ask for the flaming coffee drink (not sure of the name) it's a show stopper!

The club, Desires, is beautifully decorated. We went there every night as well. The dj plays the same playlist every night. Mostly good music. The dance area is really small, which wasn't much of a problem since the resort was probably only at 40% full because it's still pretty new. But once it starts filling up at full capacity, it might be a problem. Karaoke night had the biggest crowd and of course, my husband stole the show singing a very in appropriate Adam Sandler song. He did make a disclaimer and told anyone that gets easily offended to cover their ears, but everyone loved it. We all danced the rest of the night.

Restaurants
Let me start by saying that I don't know if the resort has been reading the negative comments about the food and fixed that problem, but when we went the food was actually pretty good. I expected mediocre from previews reviews.

The market cafe had the best eggs and best omelet chef! They do have a limited selection but a good one in my opinion.

Oceana was good, we only had appetizers because we got there really late after a day of snorkeling and catamaran sunset cruise. So, we weren't super hungry and can't comment on the entrees, but the apps were good.

Himatsu was awesome! We did the hibachi dinner and were very impressed with the flavors and the selections. You get sushi or sashimi, a choice of soup, a salad, 2 meat choices from the hibachi, white or fried rice (fried rice is really good) and veggies.

We did not try portofino because we decided to leave the resort one night for dinner.

The resort is about 10 minutes from downtown San Jose and 40-45 minutes from Cabo San Lucas. On the night of my husband's bday we rented a van with a driver and decided to go to Cabo San Lucas. We had dinner at The Office, which we learned is a staple. The food there is unbelievably amazing. Highly recommend taking the 40 min scenic drive to Cabo S.L. Afterwards we headed to Cabo Wabo and had a few drinks.

Overall, the resort is marvelous. The staff is so nice and accommodating with anything you need. The do need to work on building their entertainment, but I understand that they are new and in an area where there aren't a lot of resorts yet.

As far as transportation, our group used Epic. Our travel agent from the US always goes with us on these annual trips and makes arrangements for anything we need. He suggested The Office and arranged transportation for all 12 of us there and back as well as airport transportation. Epic was wonderful and very professional. As long as they are wearing their maroon shirt with epic on it, you know you're safe with them.

Loved, loved, loved the resort. Good job Secrets!

Room Tip: A 2nd floor or above room is best, but they all still have good views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank annad690
PA
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in April. Wish we would have stayed longer. Was greeted with cool towels and drinks of our choice. Our room was amazing, we travel a lot and this was by far the nicest room we ever stayed in. Great service in all restaraunts. Since we were just in Italy Portofino was our favorite. Very relaxing by the pool, loved the swimup bar. Beach was nice but couldn't swim. We had a couples massage, best massage we ever had. Would advise to go an hour before for a great experience. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank catz821
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from 6 days at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and had a great time. We were greeted at check in with champagne and even upgraded to a "swim out" room because they knew we were on our honeymoon. Service was absolutely outstanding in all areas of the resort! Everywhere we went we were greeted and asked if we needed anything. The entertainment staff was exceptional as well. From dance lessons, aqua volleyball, to beach parties; the entertainment staff was so friendly and always informative of the days events. I would definitely recommend this resort to all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica V
Bonney Lake, Washington, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place was a dream come true as soon as we walked into the lobby. The food was outstanding and the staff was excellent. The pools were incredibly clean, clear, warm, and beautiful. We enjoyed all the activities to do such as water volleyball, tennis, bike riding, walking, going to the gym, and much more. Each night there was great entertainment. The rooms were amazing! Large, open, clean, unique, and comfortable. I loved how we were just far enough away from the busy town. I can't wait to return on this trip!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heidi K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had a wonderful 5 night stay at this beautiful resort last week. I went with a friend and it didn't feel uncomfortable at all. There were lots of couples but there were also groups of friends and families with older children, now adults. We were upgraded to the Preferred Club which was a great perk. We didn't even see the lobby for the first two days because a golf car met us as we were getting out of the cab and took us directly to the Club for check-in. The room was a good size, with a large beautiful bathroom and a lovely view. I wouldn't call it a suite. I've stayed at Dream Punta Cana and those suites have separate seating areas with sofa, love seat and coffee table but this had just one small "sofa." It still was lovely.

The buffet at market place was underwhelming at breakfast and at the themed dinners. I went for the Mexican Fiesta and the Latin Night. I don't usually expect much from a buffet and was really only going to hear the live music. While the entertainment was great, the food was just okay. However, the food at the Japanese and Mexican restaurants is delicious. The Italian place is also good. Seaside Grill was okay. I did not make it to Oceana. The Barefoot Grill was perfect for lunchtime dining and snacking by the pool.

There's plenty of activities to take part in during the day poolside and throughout the resort. We did more reading and then took advantage of the live music or DJ at the club. There's a list of activities printed each day and it's also available on the TV. I would suggest the hotel make a few days of activities available in advance so you can plan ahead.

Everything about the resort was lovely. The decor was great and the resort was super clean. The staff were so friendly. I have to send special thanks to Ada at the Preferred Club, Flavio and Antonio at the Rendezvous Lobby Bar, Jesus at Portofino and Naomi, Lilliana and Yemi who floated between Rendezous, Desires Club and poolside. I would also add that the guests at this resort were lovely. The spa was very nice. The prices were more than I pay in NYC but there was a promotion with a 30% discount so I took advantage.

I can't say enough good things about this trip. I would definitely return again and would stay even longer. I hope to check out Dreams Costa Rica in January.

I do have two recommendations for the hotel. Please improve the music at the pool. It was painful. Also, one of the TV promotion channels should promote the resorts in other parts such as DR, Jamaica, Mexico and Costa Rica. I hope the other resorts are as great as this one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Monica G
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Ended up here by default. Wanted a quick getaway with a direct flight from Calgary, and pretty much last minute. All in all a very relaxing and easy experience. Great food in all venues. Great service in all but one venue. The much raved about Portofino being the exception. It seems Roberto (waiter) couldn't be bothered with solo travellers and so decided his services could be perfunctory, rushed and rude - courses were forgotten, stacked like Ohare and rushed.
Room was clean, maid service somewhat randomly timed, but turndown service always perfect.
There is an app for phone/tablets which could be better utilized by the resort. Perhaps keeping restaurant opening times updated daily? (Caught out twice by this little omission). Also maybe a listing of evening entertainment? It seems only logical to be a goto place for this info.
My first time at a Secrets - I would revisit this Brand. My first time in Baja and likely my last. This place is about the resort, not the surrounding culture.

Room Tip: Top floor for view - Main floor for Swim out
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,482 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,250 reviews

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!