“Amazing time!”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I just arrived home for a week long stay at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. It is about a 30 minute drive from the airport, and the resort isn't really near any other hotels. From the moment we arrived, it was nothing but a positive experience. Upon arrival, we were able to check-in right away and as we were doing so, we were offered champagne and a cookie (which was great after not having had any food since breakfast.)

The resort itself is practically brand new, and since they are still trying to promote the hotel it was only at about 1/3 capacity. That was nice, because it meant that there were no lines when waiting to be seated at a restaurant, and there wasn't a rush in the morning to run down to the pool to save a chair.

There were 4 restaurants to choose from, as well as a buffet. The Italian restaurant was fantastic, we ended up going there 3 times for dinner. Javier was an amazing server, and we were lucky to have him 2 out of the 3 times we were there. We didn't try the seafood restaurant, but heard from the couple we went on the trip with that it was quite good. Not only were there seafood entrees to choose from, but also chicken and steak. The Mexican restaurant was okay, probably our least favorite out of the restaurants we did try. The Asian restaurant was incredible. They have both a hibachi grill (which does require a reservation, and you HAVE to book first thing in the morning or else you're out of luck), as well as a dining area. The spring rolls were great, we ended up ordering a second round of them after we had finished our entree. The buffet was nice, there were lots of choices and everything was hot and rotated well.

There are 2 pools at this resort, a quiet pool and a main pool (where all the activities take place.) We tried out both pools while we were there, and even though the main pool has activities like water aerobics and volleyball, it was still a pretty quiet environment. The swim-up bar was never very busy, and they have a ton of employees walking around at all times to take your drink order, give you towels or help you move the umbrellas so you can relax in the shade. The beach was quite nice, although you absolutely cannot swim in the water. The waves were gigantic and dangerous, and anytime you got anywhere near to the water, there was a guy who would blow a whistle and tell you to get away from there. The beach has about 10 huts which have 2 chairs underneath, and you are able to get total and complete shade. A great feature is that they have a button you can press on the hut, and an employee will come down and bring you drinks, rather than you having to run back and forth to the bar.

There was a bar/lounge area inside the hotel called 'Rendezvous', and it was never very busy, which was nice if you wanted to get out of the heat in the afternoon to play some cards or relax. The coffee place at the hotel was also very nice, and they gave you several options when it came to how your drink could be made (I was glad they had a lactose-free milk for when I ordered a caramel macchiato.) Another great feature was that there was a photographer on site who would go around and take pictures of you and the group/person you were with as you were having fun in the pool, or as you were dressed up nicely for dinner. You had the option to go and purchase the picture (or pictures, since he took about 6 of myself and my boyfriend while we were at the pool). They are a little pricey, it cost me $30 for 2 8x8 pictures, but they are a good quality and it is a nice way to remember the trip. The gift shop is also a little pricey. A magnet set me back $7, and my boyfriends' brother bought sunscreen and chips which cost him a total of $32.

Overall, it was a great trip. The weather was nice, except for a quick 20 minute rain storm one morning. Everyone who works at the hotel is super friendly, always offering you an 'hola' as you're walking past them. They also have golf carts at the resort, and the staff often offer you rides if you're going from one building to another (the resort is quite spacious, and it is a long walk if you're going from the end of building 3 to the pool/restaurants.) I would definitely recommend this hotel, it is worth every penny.

6  Thank Caitlyn M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,596)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Let me begin by saying that this resort is the most modern, well-kept resort I've been to. Everything is well kept (and still very new, of course). Landscaping looks very well maintained and is absolutely beautiful. I`d like to also mention that the people staying in the resort were also very friendly (more than any other place I`ve been to). As I had referred to trip advisor for various comments prior to my booking, it is only fair that I provide the same. Here are some quick notes:

Pools - Both were very clean, well maintained and nicely designed. The oceana pool oversees the ocean, which is absolutely stunning.

Beach - the beach is not swimmable. Some reviews mentioned a 15 minute walk for a swimmable beach. It is actually more like 25 minutes, walking in the sand under the sun. We loved it either way. The beach at the resort is very nice to look at. The waves are constantly crashing hard which is very beautiful to see. At night, you can hear the waves of the ocean from the resort, which is quite relaxing. Beside the beach, there is a small bar with swing chairs. We spent some time there as well.. very relaxing spot.

Entertainment - the resort had plenty of things to do from 8am to bedtime.. From rifle shooting, to beach walks, to yoga and bike ride excursions, to tennis lessons, batting cages, volleyball, table tennis, tennis lessons (which were awesome) etc...there was always stuff going on. At night, there would usually be a main event (beach party, mexican night with dancers and shows, secrets idol (their attempt at American Idol), etc....All great activities. The entertainment staff were also very friendly. This resort has a nightclub called Desires. Probably the nicest looking and modern nightclub ive been to on a resort. The energy at this resort is very positive.

Pool bar - if you find Pablo, ask for the Pablo special...or...ask for the drink `so fresh`. It involves rum (or vodka or tequilla), mint and cucumbers! so good.

Food/restaurants - Food was excellent. Highly recommend the Oceana restaurant. Portofino was also very good. I do not recommend Market Cafe for dinner, only breakfast (which was fantastic). Coco's cafe was also very good. Its like a starbucks coffee. Great place and friendly staff!
- In a few cases, the waiters were slow in refilling water. Overall, the experience with the waiters is good (better than other places I'd say). Sometimes we are a little too picky when we are on vacation and perhaps we need to relax a bit more and let some things fly.

Note to visitors -- we were at a restaurant where a couple was asking the waiter for full directions to go somewhere. As a result, it took us a good 15-20 minutes to get our drinks. People, use the front desk or the conceirge! not the a la carte waiter! They are not paid to give you directions around Mexico!

We also found that for lunch, it was worthwhile to use the room service. This way, you are getting dinner type quality food for lunch. It was a great time to catch some A/C and reapply sunblock! Room service was spectacular!

Room - the rooms are the nicest rooms ive been to compared to any resort that we';ve stayed. We;ve been to Grand Palladium, Sandals and Moon Palace, and this was definitely on another level. 2 jets in the shower, great jacuzzi, nicely designed rooms. You get the NFL network!!! and some other channels too...:)

Negatives:
- I was dissapointed about the amount of times I felt like I was getting 'hustled' at the resort. We were provided $200 of resort coupons.

The fine print is, you can use $200 towards an upgrade for a swim out (which is $100 a day)...so if you stayed 7 nights, its $500 (still a lot). We tried to negotiate that down to $300 but they wouldnt budge. Keep this in mind if you are trying the same. They were at 40% capacity and wouldnt accept $300 cash with $200 resort coupons for 7 nights.

You can also use $40 of the $200 towards the spa...so, I think the couples massage, after using the coupon was at about $270 (lots of $$$)
- the second day, I was contacted by someone by the front desk to talk about becoming a member. They offer you cheaper options for the Spa if you agree to have breakfast and commit 90 minutes of your time to them. We had friends that were 'committed' for 5-6 hours.We're glad that we didn't use up our time while on vacation.

- I had won a free picture (worth $15). They tried to tell me that I cant get the picture unless I had a professional photo session (which was free anyways). Well we had a 'random' photo session. Seems liek they just wanted to make money off of any additional pictures I would buy. Even when you win something, you still feel a bit hustled. I didn't like that.
- The people selling the excursions sometimes give inaccurate information. For example, we rented a car and was told that parking at Pacifico mall in cabo st. lucas was $5 USD an hour. Well, it was 20 pesos a day. It was their attempt to have us sign up through their team to use their excursion vs. us renting a car and going to the excursion ourselves and signing up independently. They also tried to tell us that the water taxi per person from the mall to lovers beach was 15-20$ each way for each person. We paid $8 each person, round trip. Snorkelling was an extra $8. We were dissapointed at the information we were provided with.

Tipping - the price you pay for the resort includes taxes and gratuities (as per their website). However, a lot of people were tipping, as was I. The staff does not make much money and I strongly recommend tipping. If you can afford to go to Secrets, then you can give a dollar every 3rd drink or so...and a few dollars to your waiters...
If you go to lovers beach, the locals are very aggressive in asking for tips after they help you on and off the boat. I let myself on the boat and they were still asking for a tip!

Excellent resort overall! Would go back!

Room Tip: upgrades are $100 a night for swim out garden view
10  Thank anthony r
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I have to start out by saying this resort is amazing and I'm very glad I chose to stay there. This is my second time coming to cabo last time I stayed at Capella Pedragal (ranked #1 in cabo) so for me to be impressed with secrets resort is a big compliment to them . Room was absolutely perfect , service great , pool beautiful . Only thing I did not like is the breakfast buffet.. And the Mexican restaurant want good . The Portofino and Oceana are the best !

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angela M
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked through Apple Vacations, 6 apple square deal adults only and were placed at this resort. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, new, and very large. Lots of walking, lots of stairs, especially if you are placed in buildings 3 or 4. The staff at the restaurants and pools provided great service. The pools are very nice. Bar service at the pools, beach and hotel was excellent no matter where we sat. Pool floats are available, but you need to ask someone for them as they keep them stored behind the towel station usually, and people tend to "save" their floats (which we find annoying!).

We have been to 5 other Secrets resorts in the past and have always experienced outstanding service in all areas, but we were disappointed that this resort did not provide the same excellent service in the areas of housekeeping and the front desk. The housekeeping for the room was very inconsistent and not thorough (forgetting to replace toilet paper, towels, not emptying garbage, etc.) Housekeeping did not clean our room until after 5pm each day, and we had turn down service only twice. We talked to the front desk about housekeeping, and they offered to set up a specific time (12:30) for our room to be cleaned, however housekeeping still never came until after 5:00pm. We had late flights to and from Cabo, and had requested to have a 2:00-2:30pm checkout so that we could still use the pools on our last day. The front desk would not allow this even though the hotel was way below capacity. They offered to store our luggage and the use of a "hospitality room" for 30 minutes, but all of the hospitality rooms were booked already, despite us asking for late check out in advance. It was only after much discussion and requesting to talk to the manager several times that they allowed us to stay in the room an extra hour, and they stated this was an exception and only because we had told them that this was our 6th stay at a Secrets resort. Simple requests to both housekeeping and the front desk seemed to be just ignored or forgotten here (i.e.: extra hangars, extra towels, extra water and diet cokes in fridge). At our previous stays at other Secrets resorts, the service was consistently outstanding, and the staff went out of their way to make sure that any requests were honored immediately and "with pleasure!" Here, the service was great at the pool, beach and bars, but needs improvement in the areas of housekeeping and the front desk.

The Good: Beautiful room, beautiful grounds and pools. Great service at bars, pool, and restaurants. Great entertainment staff. Many food choices, great breakfast and lunch buffets, no reservations for dinners, 24 hr room service. Free Wi-Fi, free calls from room to US, Canada. Sunscreen spf15 provided in room. Ping pong table, bags game, golf putting, bocce ball available (but it was usually too hot to play these during the day).

Things we didn't like: Inconsistent housekeeping service, long walk from room to restaurants, pools and beach (we were in bldg. 4), No pool table (we were told that there used to be a pool table at the resort, but it was the "manager's decision" to remove it--no explanation given as to why). No hammocks. No beach beds. No towel art or special things in room. Need to ask for pool mats (not always available) and this seems to encourage guests to "save" them, rather than to just leave them in the pool when not in use.

We used Apple Vacations to book our trip, and were disappointed that they scheduled the transportation back to the airport more than 4 hours prior to the flight (the airport is less than 30 minutes away).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but would return to a different Secrets resort in the future due to the service issues and the size of the resort. It is a new and very large resort, and hopefully the service issues will improve with time.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor of buildings 1, 2 or 5. Buildings 3 and 4 are farthest from the pools, beach and...
9  Thank Lou1616
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent 7 days at this resort in July and can't wait to return. This is a new property.....the rooms are beautiful, the food is great and the service we received is excellent! We found the adult only property relaxing and since it is all inclusive we didn't have to keep track of anything. We highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend getaway to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. We were "decompressing" after our daughter got married - looking for a place to relax and unwind and be catered too - and that is precisely what we got. The service was amazing, we never had to wait long for anything. The room was spotless and beautiful - we were along the road and were woken up by construction vehicles going by, but even that didn't affect us. The bed was far too comfy to worry about a little traffic noise.

For those of you that love to eat dinner at a buffet, don't go here in off peak times as the buffet is not open at dinner time. That didn't bother us at all as we loved trying the different restaurants. Each restaurant had its own luxurious feel, it felt like we were out on the town at a fancy restaurant. Again the service was top notch, we were addressed by our names often even when we hadn't provided it to our server. The food was very good (Aisan) to excellent (Italian and Mexican).

The pool areas were large and beautiful. The pool service was also fantastic. Often we would go to give a tip and the server would be walking away - not expecting one, which we appreciated.
The beach was very nice - no, you can't swim in the ocean (you can't at most Cabo resorts), but if you walk down the beach to the right (if facing the ocean) about 15 minutes there is a large rock jut out and you can swim there very easily.

Its a quick trip by taxi to San Jose Del Cabo - very cute downtown area with an art district. Expensive but worth a look.

Beautiful views, beautiful rooms, beautiful pools, excellent food and superb service. What more do you need? Oh, and most importantly - adults only!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are along the road. Possibly called garden view rooms?
10  Thank gochlm
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just returned from this resort yesterday. We have traveled all over the islands and Mexico and always all inclusive, adults only. The property is impressive in size, however it's almost TOO long to walk around a lot. If you are a hiker or jogger, it would be perfect. I suppose you could ask for the golf cart every time but the service in any part of the hotel is hit or miss. Carlos did come and pick us up after I literally almost drown at the beach. This is NOT the hotel's fault as it is Mexican grounds, however I am in pretty good shape and a strong swimmer but the undertow caught me in a few inches of water! I am SERIOUS when I say that I went under 4 times before being rescued. I also lost my phone, wallet- all my ID- not fun. Some of the staff went out of their way to be of service- others, not at all. The pools are without a doubt stunning and better than any other resort we've been too including Sandals and Excellence.

Room Tip: I believe the upgraded rooms are in the 600-700 buildings? We were in the 300 building and it was n...
7  Thank camsark2000
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#9 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!