“Amazing Hotel & Experience - Christmas 2013 (5 Star all the way)”

Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Hotel & Experience - Christmas 2013 (5 Star all the way)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

What a great hotel & vacation. I would recommend the Ziva Hyatt Los Cabos to anyone and will definitely be back myself (worth every penny!!!)

Great staff, beautiful pool/cabanas, amazing 5star food, very clean resort, extremely helpful/accommodating staff, and amazing nightly shows.

My family and I had a great vacation and honestly have zero complaints. Our cabana & poolside server Juan was super friendly, funny, and excellent at his job. We went to a different a la carte restaurant every night and were consistently blown away with the food. The Spanish, French, Japanese, and Italian restaurants were 5star all the way.

The website photos do not do this hotel justice. In reality this hotel & the scenery is breathtaking.

The only way to find fault with this place is if you are an overly demanding individual who enjoys complaining about every minuscule detail (we had to endure some of these rude people on our trip).

You will not be disappointed - Happy vacationing :)

Room Tip: We had a family deluxe suite (building 2 and floor 5) and our view was incredible. We looked onto th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments, your kind words help us to keep improving every day.

From the comfort of your Cabana you can enjoy the tranquility and the beautiful sceneries, you just have to let us make you feel as the royalty. We want to thank you for the time you took to mention Juan we will recognize him for the level of service that he provided to your family.

We cannot wait to host to again.

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just returned from a week at Hyatt Ziva. The property has a beautiful view of the water. The landscaping is simple and striking. The decor in the public spaces is tasteful. The room is pleasant. The spa facility is beautiful, and the massage therapist was excellent.

Here are a few things that need attention and a bit more loving care:
-The lighting in the main buffet is far too dim during breakfast and lunch. It feels a bit depressing. You go to Mexico to soak upJust returned from a week at the new Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos. It is a very pretty property with a be the sun, not to eat in a cave.
-The place is very clean, but the maintenance of the rooms needs attention. We had issues with the air conditioning and the shower. Changing rooms is an unnecessary waste of vacationers' time. Check the room prior to assigning it to guest. At less than 50% full that seems like a reasonable request. The woman who helped us through this issue was very capable, pleasant, understanding, and worked towards getting our issues resolved as quickly as possible.
-The food in the buffets is fine, but not great or hot. I still managed to return from vacation with a couple of extra pounds, but without having had a really good meal.
-The staff is pleasant in the buffet, but not always around. I don't like eating with a pile of dirty dishes in front of me.
-Our departure to the airport was delayed till 7p.m. The hotel extended our check out time, upon the request of Sunwing, till 2p.m. - great. We had to check out prior to 2p.m. at which point they cut off our all inclusive bracelets.

Our Sunwing representative had told me on the phone that we would be able to use all of the facilities and the food and drink services till our pick up. NO, NO, NO! The young woman at the desk told me that our all inclusive ended at 2p.m. ,so we could use the pool and facilities, but no food or drink. No mention of thank you for choosing Hyatt Ziva, have a safe flight home, or please come back. What a lousy way to end a vacation! What poor customer service! So, there I was at the hotel with two young children and no food or water. To add insult to injury, the minute we sat down on the beach without our bracelets, the security guard approached us to make sure we were not trespassing!

When I told the bellman later that I had an unpleasant experience at checkout, he went to get someone in management. He could not find someone, so he told me that the supervisor at the front desk would come to see me. The supervisor did look up from behind the desk, but did not come over to see us despite our waiting in the lobby for about 15 minutes.

In contrast, our friends who stayed at The Rui Palace, had a facility to change and shower in after check out, and they were encouraged to take advantage of all the restaurants and bar facilities until their departure.

I have never written a review of a resort before, although my family and I travel about 3 times a year abroad. I believe that management's job is to work towards making clients happy and heard. When you avoid dealing with clients when they are standing in your lobby, you get the pleasure of dealing with them in cyberspace.

Hyatt Ziva could be a wonderful resort with some extra loving care of the facilities, the food, and of course its guests. Training or firing of a few people would make a world of difference.

3 Thank pinktool b
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your comments and the time you took sharing them.
Our commitment is to create memorable time to all our guests and exceed their expectations, we are sorry to learn that you could not enjoy our facilities.

Our Maintenance and Front Desk team are aware your comments and the proper actions has been taken, please allow me to offer you a sincere apology for the lack of service that you received, we are in continue training with all our staff to make sure this details will not occur again.

We will be grateful to have another opportunity to show you our true level of service.

Newmarket, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We are just back from a week's stay (December 20 to 27) and considering the amount of money we paid, we will not return. I would classify this resort as 3 star - certainly not a 5 star resort as rated.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was nice. It was clean, we had no issue with the room.
We had issues with the food, poor service and the LACK of activities for the older kids of this 'family' resort. The resort was busy and at times, we'd have to wait for service for food or coffee. the buffet food was generally cold and not appetizing - prep stations allowed for fried food only, nothing was grilled. The wine list was sparse and if you ordered a good bottle of wine (extra charge), you had to wait for it to arrive at your table. The wait staff definitely need more training and more people.

There were lots of families with kids of every age, however, there was little for the older kids to do at night, seems all the families with young kids went to bed after the shows, the teenagers could go to the sports bar which had two pool tables and one wii game. Dullsville for sure, no dancing. we asked for music Xmas eve and were told 'no' as it was a family resort and we couldn't make noise.

I encourage parents who have teenagers to be creative in evening activities for kids.

Excursions were good, we preferred the ATV trip over the snorkelling trip as the water is too rough for swimming. We did see a whale which was thrilling.

The town of San Jose is quaint, we had a great time at 'Shooters', a bar owned by expat Canadian, good food and atmosphere.

San Lucas is the HotSpot -- great mall, marina and of course, fun and lively restaurants.

We loved the area and plan to return, however, we will not stay at the Hyatt Ziva.

2 Thank lzahnow
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments, we are happy to know that you had a great time on the destination.

Please allow me to offer you a sincere apology, our main goal is to exceed our guests expectations, consequently is disappointing that we could not created you a memorable experience. Many thanks for your feedback this helps us to keep improving.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you with the service that you deserve.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I just got back from my trip yesterday, dec 27 and I can't say enough good things about this resort. My family and I stayed here over Christmas and this resort was amazing. We are from Canada so to be in Mexico for Christmas was very different but this resort did an amazing job of making you feel at home. It starts by having a huge Christmas tree in the lobby, and many activities for the kids, Santa came to Cabo and had presents for all the kids and the Grinch even came, and you could see all the kids having a great time with that. This resort really went above and beyond to make Christmas a great experience for everyone. They had a "living" nativity and a huge pinata on Christmas for the kids too. The resort also has a more romantic adults only pool for the singles or for when the kids are in the kids area.
We had a couple miss communications with the hotel, they told us some of the things were free but because we had a time share they weren't but to clear it up it was not a problem at all, they were very gracious and helpful with everything we needed.
The rooms were beautiful, and were always cleaned in a timely fashion and every night a staff member would come and say good night and give us chocolate!
I have stayed in Cabo San Lucas before and there are much less vendors on the beach in front of this resort, so that was nice, not always being hassled when you just want to lay on the beach. The cab rides into Cabo were a little pricey, but the bus is convenient and a lot cheaper.
The location of this resort can't be beat, its not as busy as Cabo San Lucas, but there is still everything you need, lots of shops nearby, just up the street is a big Mega, which is like a Walmart, there is a nice little mall and several cafes around as well. There is also a great kids playground with some nice shaded seating.
Since we had a time share we only ate at the resort once, but when we did it was incredible, and the all inclusive would absolutely be worth it. We went to the international buffet and out of 4 trips to an all inclusive resort this was the biggest most extensive buffet I have ever seen. It was definitely the best meal I have ever had.
another thing to note is that one of their main pools was heated, so going in December when its a little colder ( still mid 20's Celsius) the pool was always perfect temperature, and we brought our 10 month old, who just loved the pool, and never got too chilly.
Over all this was a great family experience and a great couples experience, my husband and I thought they did a good job ion creating a romantic atmosphere and a great family atmosphere.
I will definitely stay here again!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos for spend your holidays, it was our pleasure to host you.

Our main goal is to create memorable experiences to all our guests, we are delighted to know that you and your family had a great time with us. Our staff is always committed to fulfill all our guest requirements, thank you for your kind comments.

We hope to see you soon.

Agassiz, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed with my adult children and mom from 19-26 December. First I always like to start with the good points. Food excellent, drinks delicious, beds and linens superb! Now for the downside. I have stayed at different three start all inclusicves and have had better service. Staff unfriendly over all. Wating at the bar for a drink and seldon acknowledged by bar tender.Waiters in buffet hit and miss service. They barely spoke english. They would bring coffee and I would ask for cream and ten mintues later it would arrive so then coffee was cold. On several different occassions we requested a high chair for my grandson and never came either. Now onto maid service. Absolutely not conssitant. Somedays they would make up the room, somedays not. Somedays we would have two towels, no hand towels, no face cloths and not extra bottled water. When we did ask them to bring towels they never showed up. I find that not great considering this is a five star. I am comparing this property to the Royal Solaris down the road which is a 3.5 star which I stayed at last year and the sevice is way better. They are way more attentive to your need and polite. My grandson ended up getting very sick the day we left and it was difficult to get a hold of the doctor. He was suppose to be in at nine and come to our room and never showed up. Phoned the front desk and was told we could just go the clinic and meet him there. When there, found he spoke broken english. So not too impressed over all. Unfortuantely I would not reccommend this property for the price you pay. I would suggest the Royal Solaris over and over again.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view otherwise you are way too far away from the pools.
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments and the time you took to write them.

We will make our proper arrangements in order to improve our service, the feedback from our guest helps us to improve our service and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction. Our Housekeeping and Food and Beverage departments are aware of the details that you mentioned and the actions has been taken with all our staff to avoid these details occur in the future.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you in the future.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

For those of you worried about the change over, do not worry. I only see good things happening for this resort with the change. My husband and I first came in January 2010 when Barceló had just opened from what used to be the Grand Baja. We were really impressed then. This is our 5th time to stay here and I can only see that the change over is good. Some of the changes we noticed listed as follows: No longer required reservations at the restaurants--you can go any night and it is open seating. Free room service. No longer have to have a pool towel to get towels--they are provided on the chairs or if you need more, you can go to the towel hut for extras. Free Wi-Fi in the room.The pool was heated for the first time (the main pool will never be heated but the pool bar was and so was the adult pool.) Hyatt was working on it when we arrived on December 11 and it was warm by the 18th when we left The food was good and the Hyatt is listening to comments and changing the Al La Carte menus based on recommendations. The Coral Restaurant reopened and the food there was very good (they even offered lobster tails for one of the entrees). The coconut shrimp was some of the best I ever had. Also, the food for the buffets was put out in smaller quantities to keep it fresher. Hyatt also seems to be concerned also about safety--they put in a new floor at the adult pool bar so the floor was not slippery and added a little ramp to the outdoor café at the International Restaurant so people would not miss the step when walking out with their food. The staff is very courteous and always had a smile. The rooms are very nice and beds were comfortable. This is such a nice beautiful resort. It is also a nice quiet place and a fun place to come. Marci in the piano bar is always fun and she gets the crown engaged. Keep up the good work, Hyatt!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TexasTink54
Dear Guest,

On behalf the Hyatt Ziva Associates we want to thank you for the time you took to describe how pleasant was your last stay with us.

We appreciate your preference, all the changes that we are to offer all our guests the best experiences, we enjoy making feel all our guests more than welcome.

We hope your next visit with open arms.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Don't worry about the ownership change. We loved the Barcelo, but the Hyatt Ziva is just as awesome! Most of the same friendly staff are still working at Hyatt Ziva. The food was great, service was great, some problems with the rooms, but the staff really wants to make you happy and fix whatever issues you have. This was one of our best vacations ever.

Room Tip: Stay away from building 1, you get a lot of noise from the night club, building 3 is the best, quiet...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your kind words and the time you took to write them.

We appreciate your preference. We are in continue training to offer all our guests the best quality and services to fulfill their expectations. Many thanks for your comments we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,639 reviews
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,743 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,995 reviews
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,965 reviews

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!