“Long review geared to the detail oriented”

Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Tracy, California
“Long review geared to the detail oriented”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We just returned less than 10 hours ago. My wife and I had a fantastic time for 5 days and never left the property (other than a short walk along the beach). I will try to give my review in bullet points to keep it as short as possible.
- Arrival - The front desk and other staff were very efficient and cheerful. We felt at home from the minute that we arrived.
- Room - Although no one will have the same opinion of the same room, we thought that the room was very nice. Make sure to ask for an upper floor (above the 4th floor in most cases). We ended up on the second floor which was good for people-watching but the ocean view can be partially blocked by palm trees.
- All Inclusive Plan - This is a truly all inclusive resort. Think of it as a cruise ship that includes food, entertainment, unlimited alcohol (name brand), soda, and other drinks. You really do not need your wallet once you check in. The only time that we spent money was when the wifey wanted some souvenirs to take home. The wine and beer selection is limited though. If you are a lover of fine wine or craft beers, then you will be disappointed.
- Restaurants - Not all restaurants are open every day, but with so many to choose from, it is easy to plan ahead. Check the schedule for restaurants and activities that is available to all guests (the handout is called the "Que' Pasa"). You can choose from buffet style, Mexican, Spanish, Italian, Steak House, Seafood, and French. Two of the restaurants are located to take advantage of the perfect view of the sea. Get there early for your choice of tables. It was absolutely breathtaking at sunset with the full moon.
- Food - Unlike some, I am a little more picky when it comes to quality. I did find that all of the food that was being served was at least a 7 out of 10 and the specialty restaurants and truly an 8 or 9 out of 10 for the dished that we tried. My personal favorite was the Italian dinner. The risotto was perfect! The seafood dinner was very good, but I found that the Mahi Mahi was a little bland for my tastes. The buffet was actually quite good. I was surprised at the selection and the change in variety every day. I know....I know...I can be picky picky picky.... To be honest, when it paradise ALL is good.
- Beach - This area is truly not for beach goers. The beach is perfect for walking (although the sand is rough and not fluffy), but this is in no way a swimming beach. One look and you will see what I mean. The waves are huge, nasty, and very short duration. They form and break within about 10-20 feet. If you did go in, you would think that you had stepped into a washing machine.
- Pools and Grounds - The grounds are probably the greenest and best kept area within dozens of miles. The staff work all day and night cleaning and maintaining them. It was fantastic! The pools are warm and huge. There is plenty of room for all guests and their children. You will not feel crowded in the least.
- Cleanliness and Hospitality - I challenge you to find a cleaner hotel or a more accommodating staff. These people treat you like the king or queen that you are.
- Language Barrier - We do not speak Spanish (Mexican), but you will not need to. Most staff speak enough English to get by, so you should practice the please and thank yous in Spanish before going. Remember that you are a visitor in their country. You need to treat them with the most respect that you can.
- Other Guests - We found that most guests are very friendly and just trying to relax as much as possible. We did see the occasional group of teens and early twenties that thought it was Spring Break, so there were completely out of control. The worse thing is that we also saw people in their 40s and 50s also drinking to the point of falling down. Please people, if you want to drink, just drink to the point of having fun. The alcohol is unlimited. You don't need to be falling down, yelling, or bothering others, in order to have fun.

All in all, I would suggest this resort to anyone young or old. It was a truly wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All buildings had nice rooms, but from my viewpoint, I think that you need to be above the fourth fl...
6 Thank ralfeez
HyattZivaCabos, Director de Recepción at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We enjoy reading a special review from your experience in Hyatt Ziva, thank you for taking a moment to write your comments.

Our main goal is to fulfill all our guests’ requirements and create them special and unique memories, it is pleasant to learn that you enjoyed each one of the activities and facilities that were created for your comfort and fun, we appreciate your kind comments with regards the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you with the level of service that you deserve.

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband is an airline pilot, he was flying airplane to San Jose del Cabo, and I went alone with him. We stayed overnight in this property, and that turned out to be a fantastic romantic getaway!

We were there in the beginning of December, almost right after Hyatt got the facility under their name - so the hotel was almost empty. Thanks to that circumstance we got extremely nice room with wonderful ocean view. The room was very well equipped and very clean. I also always appreciate Hyatt's contemporary design. Nice bathroom with walk-in shower and a jakuzzi tub. Everything was just PERFECT.

We took very long walk along the beach and spent some relaxing time in the outdoor pools with complementary cocktails. The weather was not too warm, and there was a black flag on the beach meaning it was dangerous to swim in the ocean. But we didn't have very much time anyways, so it didn't bother us at all.

Only two of the four restaurant were opened, as the property was not busy at all. We chose hibachi grill restaurant, and the food was great. We also ate first lunch in the international eating place on the ground floor, and the second lunch at the small cafe (bar?) next to the pool and the gift shop. The food was always delicious.

All the stuff members we met there were very nice and helpful. As I read reviews before about importance of tips in Mexico, I always felt happy to tip, as the service provided was great.

I would highly recommend this facility for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful time during your visit, many thanks for sharing your comments.

We love provide the best service to all our guest from the first to the last moment, your tranquility and comfort are our priorities, the unique atmospheres and variety of activities and facilities create to our guests memorable moments, it is pleasant to learn that with just one day you fell in love of our beautiful property and our staff hospitable service.

We are looking forward to host you again in the near future.

Vallejo, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Those were the words that continued to come out of the mouth of my husband as we stayed at the Hyatt Ziva for our 10 year anniversary (he doesn't use words like that very often!). We stayed in Building 3 (Galeon) on the 6th floor. The room was updated and clean with a very comfortable king sized bed. -We had a balcony view of the adults only pool area as well as a wonderful ocean view. Our housekeeper, Rebeca, did a fine job keeping our room clean and fresh. Meals were delicious. Almost all of the staff on the property were extremely friendly and always willing to be of service (I say "almost" because the only person we felt we were inconveniencing was the young man working in the gift shop on the last night of our stay. He was very rude and made us feel like we were interrupting his life by coming into the store.).

--The property is well-maintained and so beautiful to be a part of. The only negative of the property look/feel were the two large, pentagrams (occult symbol) in the tile work part way down the main stairs from the lobby. I'm not sure why they had to incorporate them into the decor when, on the bottom landing, they had beautiful tiled flowers that were much more visually appealing and not offensive.

-What amazed us most is that, although the hotel was at 80% capacity while we were there, we felt as though we pretty much had the place all to ourselves! We fully expected it to be overcrowded, loud, and hard to get a seat at meal time or a lounge chair by the pool, but it was the exact opposite. It was delightful. -So don't let the size of this 600+ room all-inclusive be a turn off for you!!

2 Thank Steveandrearose
Dear Guest,

Create memorable and unique experiences to all our guests is our main goal, we are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time with us.

It is pleasant to learn that you enjoy the suite and the view from your balcony, we love to share the beautiful Cabo sceneries, many thanks for mentioning the friendliness of our staff, your comments are the best motivation.

We cannot wait to host you again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is beautiful. Loved the numerous pools but there didn't seem to be a system to collect used pool towels during the day. The location on the beach is pretty but the under tow is dangerous and the ocean off limits. Seven different restaurants are advertised, however they are only open on certain days of the week and there is a dress code. Room service food is excellent. The room was cleaned daily, but had to call several times to get towels and in-room refrigerator restocked. The hotel set-up airport transfer and discovered later it was twice as much as a taxi. The hotel is gorgeous but the staff didn't deliver my normal Hyatt experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank TMPickle
Dear Guest,

We truly value your comments and your loyalty, many thanks for taking a moment to share your perceptions.

The main goal of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is to exceed all our guest expectations, we are sorry to learn that we could not create the Hyatt experience that you expected from us, I appreciate your kind comments with regards the quality of our plates, rooms and amenities.

I want to thank you for your feedback, we will continue improving to achieve our goals and fulfill all our guests’ expectations.

We hope you allow us another opportunity to host you with the level of service that you expect from Hyatt Ziva.

Fresno, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Ziva for 4 nights, and I have to say we were very pleased with our stay! A head's up- when checking in, we were told that we were "upgraded" to a family suite and told it was much better than the room that we booked. It certainly was not. We originally had book a premium ocean view room. This room that they "upgraded" us to would be good for families, however it was just my husband and I. It was 2 rooms- the first room being the "living area" when you walked in then followed by the bedroom which was very small. The family suite's do not have sitting balcony's. This particular room also did not have an ocean view. There was a huge palm tree blocking our view. If you are in the situation just go back to the front desk and tell them that is not what you booked. They'll put up a bit of a fuss saying there are no other rooms available, but eventually they will move you. We ended up on the 7th (top floor) with an amazing view. Don't plan on being able to use the wifi in the rooms- it's slow. But, if you're on vacation- you don't need to be connected to the outside world.
The food was very good. We enjoyed the Coral restaurant the most, it is a seafood restaurant. It's the best location on the resort as it is on the beach, the Mahi Mahi was SO good. I would recommend going to dinner around 7, any later than that you usually have to wait for a table. Also, the shrimp tacos by the pool are delicious! As is the chips, guacamole, and pico...so good!
As for the pool- if you want a decent chair you need to save a spot first thing in the morning, as in 7 AM. People get a little crazy and save 10+ seats. The drinks were decent, you usually have to tell them to make it strong.
Overall, very pleased with our stay- thanks so much to the staff for making it a relaxing and fun stay!

2 Thank Lisa V
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to play a part in making your vacation relaxing and fun, many thanks for your comments.

Please allow me to apologize for not receiving from the first moment the type of suite that you booked, our Front Desk Manager is aware of the situation and he will make sure this will not happen again. It is pleasant to learn that you enjoyed the quality of our plates especially the Coral Restaurant that offers a spectacular view of the ocean and a relaxation atmosphere where you can taste our Chef´s special creations.

We are delighted to learn that we create a memorable time for you and we are looking forward to see you soon.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Hotel was nice and for the most part the staff was very friendly. The servers at the pool bar not as friendly as I think this place might be understaff for the amount of people they are trying to serve. I was with a company that does trips every year and we have stayed at some really nice places and I would say this is average compared to some of the places we have been.

The food was great make sure to ask where food is served because it wasn't till the last day that we found out they have other buffets during the day, the taco stand had some of the best tacos.

If you think premium liquor make sure you upgrade your band we were never told this could be done till the third day into the trip. It is 160.00 a person... I just drink beer but, because my boyfriend drinks crown they made us both upgrade which I thought was unnecessary.

Rooms were very nice. No need to upgrade unless you are going to have more than two people in a room.

We also went zip lining and if you are thinking about doing this keep in mind. I run almost 5 times a day and also do a boot camp twice a week. This is a very extreme zip line. Its very hot a lot of walking and hiking up hill. We had several people that we had to take back as they could complete the course of 8 zips.

This hotel also have no kind of nightlife other than the piano bar which everything is in Spanish. Pool music is also in Spanish when it is on. They have very old equipment and dont have the correct connections to play ipods or iphones. I would advise you bring a speaker and your own music.

Room Tip: Bring music and upgrade your band if you drink premium liquor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Your perceptions with regards our service helps us to continue improving, we appreciate the time you took to write your comments.

Many thanks for your suggestions, your feedback let us know the opportunities that we have to fulfill all our guest requirements, our staff love to pamper them and make them feel like home, we are very thankful with your kind comments regarding our friendly service and the beauty of our facilities.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great food, great service, nice enough beach, great views...This area of Los Cabos does not have the prettiest beaches; however, the water is clear and it is a very nice facility. 5 swimming pools with an adult only pool were major attractors for us. The best beaches are near el Arco. We were not allowed to swim at the beach in front of the resort because of the dangerous undertow. I appreciated their concern for my safety.

Room Tip: no need to upgrade your room unless more than 2 adults are in the same room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank juile p
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to host you, thank you for taking a moment to write about your recent visit.

Our main goal is to exceed all our guest expectations, we are glad to learn that you had a wonderful time with us. Our facilities were created to make you feel more then welcome and all our staff is always attentive to our guest requirements, we strive every day to provide the best service.

We are looking forward to host you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!