“A great place to get away! Make sure to find Marco at the pool”

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Lakeland, Florida
“A great place to get away! Make sure to find Marco at the pool”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My friend and I spent 4 night 5 days at the hotel for a girls weekend. The property is beautiful and the staff was very welcoming. The room was perfect, very comfortable and nicely decorated. The staff was great, especially Marco Villanveva who worked the pool area. He always made sure we had what we needed and was very attentive. The different restaurants never disappointed us and the breakfast buffet was our favorite, a little bit of everything! I can't wait to go back and hopefully spend some more time there.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Pacific. It's a beautiful view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a great time during your stay with us.
We appreciate the gentle words about our staff and the facilities that we have in Hyatt ZIva.
Marco will receive recognition in our monthly staff meeting because they definitely contributed to make your stay more than perfect.

Many thanks for your comments. We cannot wait to host you again.

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Turkish first
Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just returned from a 7 night/8 day stay at the Ziva July 1. There are a few unfavorable reviews on Trip Advisor and I wish I would have paid more attention to them. If I had, I would have chosen another resort. This is my 12th trip to a Mexican resort and the most expensive of all. We had a great time in spite of it all, but it’s the little things that matter and the management does not get it. I would not return to this resort. Here is why:

The towel game is full on! There is no limit on the number of towels you can get. Unless you are willing to get up before 5 AM to claim a chair, you will burn to a crisp as there are FEW SHADED areas by the pool or on the beach. The management needs to control the towels because people mark their territory after midnight or early AM with towels to secure what limited shaded spots exist. “Claimed” chairs sit unused all day. Either manage the towels or add additional umbrellas and shaded beach coverage. Seriously, you will get no shade at all. If it is important that you are not out in the sun the entire time, reconsider.

Service at the beach or pool does not exist. None. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I spent a good 5-6 hours a day at the beach/pool. You’re on your own. I always have always had beach and pool services at every other resort I have visited, some rated at 3 stars. The resort prides itself on service and I was very disappointed that it didn’t exist in these areas as stated on their website. I don’t have a problem getting my own drinks, but since the resort claims to have service, then I feel like I was cheated, paying more to go to this resort for that service.

Service in the buffet is limited and it is not due to the fault of the staff! The resort is very understaffed and I felt sorry for the poor waiters running around trying to keep everyone happy. It was a task that was impossible for them but I was impressed that they did their best with a smile. Just make sure you get your drinks, napkins and silverware before you get your food, as it is unlikely you will get attention again. Go early here because they do run out of food items, clean silverware and glasses. They are slow to restock. Plus the food is not warm after it sits a while. Sometimes one of the overworked waiters will give you a card to fill out to rate their services and you leave it with them. I am not sure the management gets a true account of how poor the service because of understaffing is there.

If you decide to go to the al a carte restaurants, go as soon as they open at 6 or 6:30 or you will not be able to get a table until 9 p.m. or after. The food in the restaurants is fine, but the steak house is one to stay away from. They have a buffet on the beach and there are flies all over the food. If you are going to eat at the steakhouse, do so on a night with sit down service but it is not that great.

The maid service is not up to par at all. I had to call for facial/hand towels on two separate occasions as none were left in the room. It took a good 30 minutes for the items to arrive, so on the fourth day without these, I found one of the maids, I asked her for a few and then stashed them in a drawer so I would have what I needed the remainder of my stay. If only I had done that with toilet paper! No kidding. I had to call for this item the night before we left. If you run out of TP, be prepared to hold it or go to the public restrooms because it will take about 45 minutes or more for it to get delivered to your room and that is after two requests.

Speaking of public restrooms at the resort…avoid the downstairs restroom near the theater and buffet on the bottom level. It is dirty and doesn’t even have toilet seats in all of the stalls! So guess what they run out of in the two stalls with toilet seats? Yep, toilet paper. Dirty diapers and female products are on the floor so you can’t really blame the staff. But why isn’t someone assigned to check this restroom? Just plain gross! The other restrooms were pristine, even in the pool areas, so I am at a loss as to why this restroom was so nasty all the time.

Be prepared to step over room service trays left outside the doors. Breakfast trays were still outside on the walkways well past 5 PM and sometimes were even accompanied by lunch trays too. How can the staff just walk by that and let it sit there attracting birds and bugs? Even at the budget resorts you don’t see this blatant disregard for cleanliness. I will say this provided some added entertainment for me and my husband as we would place bets to see if the items would still be there when we returned.

Even though the hotel says it has in room wifi, it does not. You WILL NOT get internet in your room, but it is sometimes available in the lobby. Now that is not a bit deal for me, but again, it is what is promised and included in the price we paid.

We were locked out of our room due to faulty cards/batteries/electronics not once, but TWICE! The first time it happened the maintenance staff was quick to respond. It only took about 30 minutes for them to arrive and have the problem repaired. The second time it happened two days later, it was a different story. We waited. Waited. Waited. We had to call twice before someone finally arrived. Then we were asked to wait some more so the maintenance could get the parts they needed. By this time, close to an hour had passed and I wanted to be on the beach! I called again and finally got “permission” to leave the room. Later my husband came back to the room the see if it was fixed. It wasn’t so finally it was time to go talk to someone in charge. They changed the electronics and batteries twice, but it was the front desk clerk who gave us new cards that worked finally.

THERE IS LIMITED HOT WATER AVAILABLE so a long luxurious hot shower is out! The only other time I had that issue was in a remote area at another resort, but they let you know what your time frame for hot water would be available. That was a big surprise. So if you enjoy a cold shower, or a real fast hot one, you will love it here.

These are the little things that need to be addressed if this place is going to make it as a high end luxury resort with, according to their website, “ impressive amenities and impeccable service.” I do want to point out the good things though. The resort is lovely with amazing views and the rooms are quite nice. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. It has a lot of potential, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We arrived early and were checked in and on the beach by noon with no extra charge. Be sure to stop by El Mirador, the Martini bar, and have a chocolate martini. If Luis is the bartender, you are in for a treat. He makes a mean Don Julio Margarita. Felix and Wilberth are two of the most hard working waiters I have ever seen! If you get a chance to go to the French restaurant, try the mussels as your appetizer and the salmon for your main dish. You won’t be disappointed.

If you go to this resort, you will have a good time. Just make sure you do not have expectations of a 4 or 5 star resort, then you won’t be disappointed as we were. Or just go to a 3 star, get a lesser room but have hot water, service on the beach and in the buffets, a spot in the shade, and save $1,000.

Room Tip: Shoot for the third floor or higher
14 Thank TexasBchLvr
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Your feedback helps us to keep improving to provide the best quality and services to all our guests, please allow me to offer you a sincere apology for the lack of service that you experience during your stay, the departments involved are aware of the details that you point out and the proper actions will be taken. Our staff is committed to provide the best service to fulfill all our guests’ requirements.

I hope you allow us another opportunity to host you with the level of service that you expect from Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I spent seven days at the end of June at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos. The staff were very attentive to our requests, very friendly and gave great service. In particular, we would like to thank Hugo for the very friendly service he provided during our stay. The rooms and hotel facilities are first class. It was our first time to stay at an all inclusive, so we were somewhat doubtful about the quality of the food and drink. As it turned out, all of the food was good quality as was most of the drink. We thought that the Spanish and French restaurants were the best. The only suggestion I have is that there should be more of a variety of wine available. As it currently is, there is only one red and one white to chose from.

Dear Guest,

Creating memorable moments to all our guests is our main goal, we are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time with us.

We love to serve and our priority is your complete satisfaction, we offer a wide variety of activities and areas that were carefully created for your comfort and enjoyment. Many thanks for mentioning Hugo’s performance, he strive everyday to make feel all our guests like home.

We appreciate your suggestions and we hope to have another opportunity to host you.

Atlanta, Georgia

Hi,

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of meeting Eduardo Antonio Gonzalez in the Restaurant Internacional and Eduardo was simply marvelous. Eduardo greeted us each morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and catered to all of our needs. Eduardo provided impeccable service all five mornings we had breakfast at his restaurant. Eduardo is a true gentleman and understands the importance of providing exceptional service to his clients.

The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos should honor Eduardo for the exceptional service he provides and I really hope he moves up the ranking with the resort as a result of his positive attitude, hard work, and dedication to providing exceptional service.

Keep up the excellent work Eduardo, you are truly a star!

Dear Guest,

It is pleasant to learn that you had a great time with us, thank you for your kind words.

Eduardo definitely is one of our most recognized associates because he enjoys serving and his passion is to provide the best experiences to all our guest, always with the best attitude and a sincere smile he will be waiting every morning at our Buffet to offer you great service, he is very thankful with your comments.

We would appreciate the opportunity to host you in the near future.

Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I wanted to love this place......but there are just too many areas where it is lacking to warrant anything higher than 3 stars. Based on the overwhelming majority of kind and warn staff.....there is hope......but it will take a strong effort.

Pros
Entertainment
Great view (but the Ocean is way too rough for most)
Hyatt level service amongst staff
All Inclusive

Cons
Maintenance- There is still work to be done improving the property from its past existence. LOTS OF BROKEN STUFF

Food - While free....the food was not great. We dined primarily in the Buffet restaurants but decided to eat at the very popular Japanese restaurant for my birthday. Nothing special at all. The sushi was probably subpar.

Hyatt Passport - We didn't seem to get any special treatment other than a separate check in for being a "valued" platinum member

Internet - AWFUL. don't plan on getting any work done here. The wireless is spotty at best EVERYWHERE and doesn't seem to jive with my apple devices (writing this from my laptop in the lobby).

Pool - Probably too warm and the fact that people stake out spots at 7AM is totally ridiculous. The hotel should to a better job of controlling this for the overall experience of their other guests. It is amazing to see all of the people come down and claim spots then walk away. At 8AM 70% of the chairs are already spoken for despite the fact that nobody is even in the pool area. A huge pet peeve for me. The solution is simple. Check out towels and have people clean up areas every 30min.

Bathrooms - No privacy bathrooms are a pet peeve.

Little touches - No mention of my birthday? They know when my birthday is via my gold passport and my wife even mentioned it upon our check in. No Note? Room upgrade? Missed a good opportunity here.

Who knows? Maybe we'll give the Hyatt another chance down the road to see how things have improved. My family and I are still here for a couple more days so we will enjoy the very nice staff and the "solid" enough experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank _derekboyes13
Dear Guest,

We truly value your comments and the time you took to write them.

Your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to continue improving to offer the best experiences to all our guests, each department has reviewed carefully the details that you pointed out and we will take the proper actions to improve our services.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the sceneries that this beautiful destination has to offer you and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you with the level of service that you expect from Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos.

Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I just spent the last 7 nights at this resort. There were things that were great about this resort and others not too much but not bad. Really would give 6-7 on a 1-10.
Their employees are generally very friendly and greet the guests on a consistent basis which we appreciated.

GROUNDS: Immaculate and clean. Very well kept, always saw many cleaning/maintaining.
Fire pits nice in evening to enjoy a cocktail and relax.

ROOMS: upon check-in we were helped by Jonathan. We booked a room with king and asked to be in quiet area. They tried to put us in a family suite in the main bldg. on 2nd floor. They tried to pass it off as an upgrade, which I knew better from a previous reviewer. Plus it is the noisiest closest to the bars/restaurants, etc... It was a big shenanigan to get the room we booked back in February. After several phone calls they offered us a room that needed AC maintenance on our 3rd day. We ended up in bldg. 3 on 3rd floor close to the restaurants, still. The floors were filthy and our feet black from walking on it, but we were exhausted. We were awaked the next morning at 7am by a screaming child who threw a temper tantrum. Why didn't they offer them a family suite?
The AC in our room worked great. However, after they did the AC maintenance the AC rattled like crazy. After reading previous reviews on others room change nightmares, and also meeting a family who wasted a whole day with their AC leaking water everywhere, and the ceiling caving in for them to actually get moved, we just decided to live with it. Automated curtains never worked and they were sometimes difficult to close manually.
They didn't always restock the fridge with snacks/drinks. I don't think they do this everyday. They stated they only change linen every 2 days after asking for washcloths. Well they took the only one we had. So they brought us a whole stack of huge towels. It was rather comical. Someone else later brought us more hand towels. We ended up using a hand towel for showering. After that we were stocked with plenty of washcloths, and housekeeping did a good job of mopping/ cleaning and restocking other necessities. We did leave small tip each day.
The shower was wonderful...hot water forever. We both slept comfortably in the bed every night.
Not too soft, not too firm. Most comfortable bed I've slept in at an all inclusive.

SWIM-UP ROOM TIP: We noticed that there are swim up rooms that face the adult pool, then there are ones that face the main pool. The ones that face the main pool are in the shade all day and do not connect with ANY pool, and privacy rather limited. The ones that face the adult pool have a large enough area to push your chairs forward or move them back to be in the sun all day or the shade all day! And those also connect to the adult pool and are more private (no traffic passing by!)

POOLS/BARS: It was hot when we went so the water was never cold. Actually a bit too warm in the infinity pool. The pool service was very spotty. We tipped well and every time, but never got consistent poolside service at the main/infinity pool. If you want a drink or food, just get up and get it yourself. They would sometimes run out of canned beer and some of the food items. Your drinks could be horrible or good. Some of the bartenders I don't think were ever trained....at all. Some of them made fabulous drinks (Alejandro & Noel were great!! Worked hard, fast and very good cocktails!)
I can't remember all of the bartenders names but you'll figure out where to go! And ask for the good liquor, be specific: Hornitos, Sky, Absolut, Stoli, 1800...etc We got much better service at the Adult pool. The draft beer/water not always cold. If you want cold water....ask!! Yes, really.
We didn't have problems getting lounge chairs any time of day. If there were only dirty towels/trash on it.... its now mine! They don't pick up old towels until later in the day so If you think a chair is occupied and there are no personal items on/around it then its open. The pool rules specifically forbid reserving chairs anyway. They treated the pools daily and they were all fairly clean except for the occasional pina colada spilled by a drunk. They advertised pool activities but rarely did any. We really enjoyed the music pool trivia with Super Sal! Wish they would play more of those songs at the pool!! The Lobby bar had Negra Modelo beer and also made good bellinis and cocktails. I didn't think the Martini's at the martini bar were very good, but I think it is how they are served in plastic martini glasses.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:
The breakfast buffet was ok some days, inedible quite often. They had real eggs, but they were not good. Many times the food was cold/stale. The orange juice was great! The fresh fruit was great! Alberto was great fun and made us laugh almost every morning.
The shrimp tacos at the pool from Coco loco were very good, and we also enjoyed the French fries. Room service came when they said they would and the food was just OK.
The restaurants are a much better option/alternative to the buffet! At LOTUS my favorite, the sushi was THE BEST SUSHI I have ever had. I was thoroughly surprised! The Hibachi grill was also good and fun. Our other favorite was EL CORTIJO, we received fabulous service by JUAN! Not once were we left with nothing to drink like at the other restaurants, and he came by to make sure our food was to our liking. The food was so good, we felt like stuffed thanksgiving turkey. We also tried HACIENDA...the first night they had a grill on the beach. EXCELLENT grilled Sea Bass! My ribeye was not the greatest cut of meat, but very tasty! The salad bar on the inside was fresh and delicious as well. The last night there, our waiter was terrible. He asked if we spoke Spanish I told him in Spanish a "little but its bad".
Our food was cooked wrong, I didn't even get the baked potato I ordered and he only brought us 2 glasses of tea, no champagne and we never saw him again. Another waitress saw we were thirsty and came over and refilled our tea which I was grateful for. At BON VIVANT, our waiter there didn't speak much English either, but between us we were able to communicate. At least he made an effort. My husband liked the quiche, but his sea bass was so gamey it was inedible. My rack of lamb didn't taste like lamb... I truly think it was goat. But it was still good.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT: Very talented group!! Fun and entertaining shows! We particularly enjoyed Viva Mexico. I missed 70/80's night but we did get to enjoy the mariachis.

SPA: My husband and I both had massages here. They had a special buy one get one 1/2 off. For both we paid under $200 USD and were allowed to use the hydrotherapy area all day which consisted of a massage pool, hot tub, body jet shower, cold dip, sauna and steam room. The massages were good and professional. The hydrotherapy area was nice, but a little dated. The relaxation area inside the locker area was a very nice added bonus! They really needed ice cold aromatherapy washcloths in an ice bin like most places with steam/sauna. They were also missing the eucalyptus spray for the steam room. We did feel however that is was a good value.

SALON: The salon could use some work! It was the most neglected part of the Spa. No décor, felt dated and a bit dirty in there. I went for a mani/pedi. They were very limited on the colors of polish maybe 10-15 colors. They also had no lights for nail drying, they just used drying spray. The thing that REALLY CONCERNED me:
I noticed they just pulled their nail tools out of their station drawer. They were NOT sterile wrapped. I inquired about an Enclave for sterilization of their tools, and was told they did not have one. A good salon always has this in plain view. Another lady was leaving after her pedicure, and they just rinsed out the bowl with water. I did not witness any cleaning/bleach product being used. I did not see any barricide being used in the hair salon. This made me very nervous so I chose to forego any pedicure there!

Overall, we did enjoy our stay. It may take a while for them to thoroughly iron out all of the kinks, but in the end I don't regret choosing this resort.

Room Tip: If you want a swim up room, ask for one at the adult pool or you may regret it!
6 Thank Beachydix
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments.

We enjoy reading about the things that you enjoyed the most during your recent stay, many thanks for mentioning all the staff that help you to create a memorable experience, we strive every day to offer the best service to all our guests and make them feel like home.

We appreciate your feedback since helps us to keep improving. We will be waiting for you with open arms.

Calgary
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We arrived late on a Saturday afternoon,and the checkin was quick and efficient.. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly and polite,they couldn't do enough for you.The hotel was very clean as were the grounds. The a la carte restaurants were all very good and because of the time of the year they were not crowed and required no reservation. The only point I can maKe about them is there was a dress code in effect and all guests were made aware of that during check in.However it wasn't enforced at most of the restaurants which is unfortunate. I don't think anyone wants to get clean up then sit in a nice restaurant next to someone in a bathing suite and muscle shirt. the food in all restaurants was plentiful varied and very good. Overall a great location and we plan on returning next year hopefully for a family vacation.WELL DONE TO THE HOTEL AND ALL THE STAFF

Room Tip: All rooms had some sort of ocean view some better than others depending on price. The rooms were ver...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

The main goal of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is to create unique and memorable experiences to all our guests, many thanks for taking the time to share your comments.

Our commitment is to make you feel like home from the first to the last moment, providing you all the time the best quality and services. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed all our facilities but most of all the friendly service of all our associates.

We cannot wait to host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!