“Not to bad”

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
High River, Alberta, Canada
“Not to bad”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Went to this resort June 26-July 3rd. This resort was very clean. Very large rooms. Spent all my time at the adult pool. Which was great. The pool side service was only some days. Not very good service there. Pools weren't to bad for being cleaned. Room service is good. One day it was long. But they called to say sorry. Food wasn't as good as I would have wanted. Service in the restaurants weren't great. They don't take reservations. So we wanted over two hours for a table for two. Even though the place was half empty.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HyattZivaCabos, General Manager at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for the time you took to write your comments since they help us to improve our quality and service.
One of our main goals is to fulfill our guest expectations, we are very sorry that we could not give you the best impression. We have reviewed all your points and will make the appropriate correction. Our Food and Beverage Manager and his Team are always attentive to the comments and suggestions, thank you for let us know the opportunities for achieve our goals.

We appreciate your loyalty,

Managing Director
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We recently returned from a 7 night stay. The hotel looks great, with wonderful pools and beautiful grounds. Even though the beach is not a swimming beach, it is very clean and good for evening walks.The staffs are generally friendly and helpful. The rooms are cleaned, but there are some rough spots. The food in both the specialty restaurants and buffets are ok, but not very good so don't expect great food. Overall, it is a very nice hotel to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gglow
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for the time you took to write your comments. Your feedback helps us to know what we are doing correct and what we need to improve, we are aware of your opinion and suggestions and the appropriate actions will be taken, we appreciate your sincere words. We are delighted to learn that you enjoy our facilities but most of all the friendliness and service of our staff.

We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Best regards

Hyatt ZIva Los Cabos
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall experience was very good and a great place to stay in an all inclusive resort. Staff was very courteous and friendly and that included excursion planning as well. There is still scope for a lot of improvement and that includes 1) having more people to talk in English 2) Install clocks at various locations to get the current time 3) Letting visitors know that one has to reserve early at the specialty restaurants. Food choices were great with the international buffet and the Hazienda that had anytime buffet options. Free drinks at the Banana bar near the pool was excellent except for language issues and a lack of menu for the drink choices. We cancelled one of the excursion trips due to health reasons and we lost the money because it was non refundable. However, it would have been nice if they offered a coupon that I could use it the next time as a courtesy. Apparently the manager refused any kind of gesture.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room OR any room facing the ocean. It is incredible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rramasubbu
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write regarding your recent stay with us.
Many thanks for your comments and suggestions we have reviewed them carefully.
Your feedback helps us to know how we can improve to offer the best quality and
services to all our guests, I am very sorry that you had those inconveniences that
made your stay less than perfect. Our staff is very thankful with your kind words and
they have the commitment to fulfill all our guests requirements.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you with the level of service that you expect from Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos.

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My friend and I spent 4 night 5 days at the hotel for a girls weekend. The property is beautiful and the staff was very welcoming. The room was perfect, very comfortable and nicely decorated. The staff was great, especially Marco Villanveva who worked the pool area. He always made sure we had what we needed and was very attentive. The different restaurants never disappointed us and the breakfast buffet was our favorite, a little bit of everything! I can't wait to go back and hopefully spend some more time there.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Pacific. It's a beautiful view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a great time during your stay with us.
We appreciate the gentle words about our staff and the facilities that we have in Hyatt ZIva.
Marco will receive recognition in our monthly staff meeting because they definitely contributed to make your stay more than perfect.

Many thanks for your comments. We cannot wait to host you again.

Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just returned from a 7 night/8 day stay at the Ziva July 1. There are a few unfavorable reviews on Trip Advisor and I wish I would have paid more attention to them. If I had, I would have chosen another resort. This is my 12th trip to a Mexican resort and the most expensive of all. We had a great time in spite of it all, but it’s the little things that matter and the management does not get it. I would not return to this resort. Here is why:

The towel game is full on! There is no limit on the number of towels you can get. Unless you are willing to get up before 5 AM to claim a chair, you will burn to a crisp as there are FEW SHADED areas by the pool or on the beach. The management needs to control the towels because people mark their territory after midnight or early AM with towels to secure what limited shaded spots exist. “Claimed” chairs sit unused all day. Either manage the towels or add additional umbrellas and shaded beach coverage. Seriously, you will get no shade at all. If it is important that you are not out in the sun the entire time, reconsider.

Service at the beach or pool does not exist. None. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I spent a good 5-6 hours a day at the beach/pool. You’re on your own. I always have always had beach and pool services at every other resort I have visited, some rated at 3 stars. The resort prides itself on service and I was very disappointed that it didn’t exist in these areas as stated on their website. I don’t have a problem getting my own drinks, but since the resort claims to have service, then I feel like I was cheated, paying more to go to this resort for that service.

Service in the buffet is limited and it is not due to the fault of the staff! The resort is very understaffed and I felt sorry for the poor waiters running around trying to keep everyone happy. It was a task that was impossible for them but I was impressed that they did their best with a smile. Just make sure you get your drinks, napkins and silverware before you get your food, as it is unlikely you will get attention again. Go early here because they do run out of food items, clean silverware and glasses. They are slow to restock. Plus the food is not warm after it sits a while. Sometimes one of the overworked waiters will give you a card to fill out to rate their services and you leave it with them. I am not sure the management gets a true account of how poor the service because of understaffing is there.

If you decide to go to the al a carte restaurants, go as soon as they open at 6 or 6:30 or you will not be able to get a table until 9 p.m. or after. The food in the restaurants is fine, but the steak house is one to stay away from. They have a buffet on the beach and there are flies all over the food. If you are going to eat at the steakhouse, do so on a night with sit down service but it is not that great.

The maid service is not up to par at all. I had to call for facial/hand towels on two separate occasions as none were left in the room. It took a good 30 minutes for the items to arrive, so on the fourth day without these, I found one of the maids, I asked her for a few and then stashed them in a drawer so I would have what I needed the remainder of my stay. If only I had done that with toilet paper! No kidding. I had to call for this item the night before we left. If you run out of TP, be prepared to hold it or go to the public restrooms because it will take about 45 minutes or more for it to get delivered to your room and that is after two requests.

Speaking of public restrooms at the resort…avoid the downstairs restroom near the theater and buffet on the bottom level. It is dirty and doesn’t even have toilet seats in all of the stalls! So guess what they run out of in the two stalls with toilet seats? Yep, toilet paper. Dirty diapers and female products are on the floor so you can’t really blame the staff. But why isn’t someone assigned to check this restroom? Just plain gross! The other restrooms were pristine, even in the pool areas, so I am at a loss as to why this restroom was so nasty all the time.

Be prepared to step over room service trays left outside the doors. Breakfast trays were still outside on the walkways well past 5 PM and sometimes were even accompanied by lunch trays too. How can the staff just walk by that and let it sit there attracting birds and bugs? Even at the budget resorts you don’t see this blatant disregard for cleanliness. I will say this provided some added entertainment for me and my husband as we would place bets to see if the items would still be there when we returned.

Even though the hotel says it has in room wifi, it does not. You WILL NOT get internet in your room, but it is sometimes available in the lobby. Now that is not a bit deal for me, but again, it is what is promised and included in the price we paid.

We were locked out of our room due to faulty cards/batteries/electronics not once, but TWICE! The first time it happened the maintenance staff was quick to respond. It only took about 30 minutes for them to arrive and have the problem repaired. The second time it happened two days later, it was a different story. We waited. Waited. Waited. We had to call twice before someone finally arrived. Then we were asked to wait some more so the maintenance could get the parts they needed. By this time, close to an hour had passed and I wanted to be on the beach! I called again and finally got “permission” to leave the room. Later my husband came back to the room the see if it was fixed. It wasn’t so finally it was time to go talk to someone in charge. They changed the electronics and batteries twice, but it was the front desk clerk who gave us new cards that worked finally.

THERE IS LIMITED HOT WATER AVAILABLE so a long luxurious hot shower is out! The only other time I had that issue was in a remote area at another resort, but they let you know what your time frame for hot water would be available. That was a big surprise. So if you enjoy a cold shower, or a real fast hot one, you will love it here.

These are the little things that need to be addressed if this place is going to make it as a high end luxury resort with, according to their website, “ impressive amenities and impeccable service.” I do want to point out the good things though. The resort is lovely with amazing views and the rooms are quite nice. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. It has a lot of potential, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We arrived early and were checked in and on the beach by noon with no extra charge. Be sure to stop by El Mirador, the Martini bar, and have a chocolate martini. If Luis is the bartender, you are in for a treat. He makes a mean Don Julio Margarita. Felix and Wilberth are two of the most hard working waiters I have ever seen! If you get a chance to go to the French restaurant, try the mussels as your appetizer and the salmon for your main dish. You won’t be disappointed.

If you go to this resort, you will have a good time. Just make sure you do not have expectations of a 4 or 5 star resort, then you won’t be disappointed as we were. Or just go to a 3 star, get a lesser room but have hot water, service on the beach and in the buffets, a spot in the shade, and save $1,000.

Room Tip: Shoot for the third floor or higher
14 Thank TexasBchLvr
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Your feedback helps us to keep improving to provide the best quality and services to all our guests, please allow me to offer you a sincere apology for the lack of service that you experience during your stay, the departments involved are aware of the details that you point out and the proper actions will be taken. Our staff is committed to provide the best service to fulfill all our guests’ requirements.

I hope you allow us another opportunity to host you with the level of service that you expect from Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I spent seven days at the end of June at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos. The staff were very attentive to our requests, very friendly and gave great service. In particular, we would like to thank Hugo for the very friendly service he provided during our stay. The rooms and hotel facilities are first class. It was our first time to stay at an all inclusive, so we were somewhat doubtful about the quality of the food and drink. As it turned out, all of the food was good quality as was most of the drink. We thought that the Spanish and French restaurants were the best. The only suggestion I have is that there should be more of a variety of wine available. As it currently is, there is only one red and one white to chose from.

Dear Guest,

Creating memorable moments to all our guests is our main goal, we are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time with us.

We love to serve and our priority is your complete satisfaction, we offer a wide variety of activities and areas that were carefully created for your comfort and enjoyment. Many thanks for mentioning Hugo’s performance, he strive everyday to make feel all our guests like home.

We appreciate your suggestions and we hope to have another opportunity to host you.

Atlanta, Georgia

Hi,

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of meeting Eduardo Antonio Gonzalez in the Restaurant Internacional and Eduardo was simply marvelous. Eduardo greeted us each morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and catered to all of our needs. Eduardo provided impeccable service all five mornings we had breakfast at his restaurant. Eduardo is a true gentleman and understands the importance of providing exceptional service to his clients.

The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos should honor Eduardo for the exceptional service he provides and I really hope he moves up the ranking with the resort as a result of his positive attitude, hard work, and dedication to providing exceptional service.

Keep up the excellent work Eduardo, you are truly a star!

Dear Guest,

It is pleasant to learn that you had a great time with us, thank you for your kind words.

Eduardo definitely is one of our most recognized associates because he enjoys serving and his passion is to provide the best experiences to all our guest, always with the best attitude and a sincere smile he will be waiting every morning at our Buffet to offer you great service, he is very thankful with your comments.

We would appreciate the opportunity to host you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,657 reviews
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,779 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,069 reviews
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,015 reviews

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!