My husband and I along with our 3 year old son spent 5 nights here mid July. We booked through Nikki at Tripguy.com. This is the 2nd trip that we have booked with her and we just love the personal attention she has given us. I definitely count on her expertise for all our travel needs and recommend her to everyone I know!
Resort - The resort is beautiful! There are 3 pools and a kids splash area. My son loved the splash area! The kids area was the only place to get a chair by the pool unless you woke up early and "reserved" your spots at the 2 main pools. The kids area was great except there was not much shade and barely any service. Someone would come by every now and then, but there was no one assigned to the pool area. You would have to leave the area in order to get a drink or something to eat. The service at the main pools were so-so.
Rooms - We had a family suite which included a living area with a trundle, 2 bathrooms, a king bed in the bedroom and a small balcony over looking the main pools. The room was spacious and always cool. It does show signs of age though. The toilet in one of the bathrooms did not flush well. Housekeeping came once a day and did a great job cleaning up. The minibar was only refilled once during our 5 night stay. I would have liked it to be restocked more often, especially the bottled water since it is used to brush our teeth as well as drinking during the hot weather. We ended up getting bottles of water around the resort and from room service every chance we got.
Restaurants - We only ate at the buffet for breakfast. The selection was great but the food was just okay. The cooks at the omelette station are not very good. The service could use some improvement. I love the fact that no reservations are needed for the a la carte restaurants. The Japanese, Spanish and French restaurants were great. The teppanyaki show was great and the chef cooked the meats just right. Carlos at the Spanish restaurant was the best server we encountered! The paella is excellent! The desserts at the French restaurant are to die for! We ate at Hacienda (the steakhouse) for lunch and dinner. Both times, our steaks were charred. My husband use to be a chef and he noticed the flame on the grill is too high and the cooks were leaving the meat directly on the flame too long which resulted in the charring of the steaks. We also ate at the Italian restaurant which was the worst. I liked the appetizer table they had but the service and food were bad. Our server never refilled our drinks until asked several times and the food tasted like butter was poured all over the dishes before they went out. For room service, get the ham sandwich! They also brought warm milk for my son which was greatly appreciated.
Entertainment - There is a kids show at 8:00pm and a main show at 9:00pm every night. The kids show is entertaining. They do dances, songs and get the kids up on stage. The main show varies every night. The Everything show on Sunday nights is horrible! The first part consisted of a very bad game of name that tune that involved people having a bottle of tequilla forced down their throats when they answered wrong...the same bottle traveled from person to person...gross! We left. We did watch Fantasia on Monday night which was pretty good and entertaining for the kids.
Kids Club - I took my son to the kids club every morning after breakfast for about an hour. The actual kid's club is a bit small and could use an update. They had a lot of sand toys but not too many other toys for younger kids. Carla at the kid's club is great! She does arts and crafts and games with the kids. I think my son developed a small crush on her during the time we were there. :-)
Warning - My husband ate something at dinner one night that caused him to have an allergic reaction. It was minor but we were not able to find allergy medicine anywhere. The gift shop did not carry any Benedryl or Claritin...they did have Viagra though =P We called the front desk, concierge and room service with no luck. The concierge and room service basically said they dont have it and good bye. The front desk was much nicer and offered to look around but could not find any either. Luckily, it was just a minor allergy and he was able to sleep it off but I found it a bit ridiculous that there was no allergy medicine available any where at the resort.
As a family resort, I feel that it can add a little more to cater to the young guests and families with young guests. It would have been nice to have a step stool in the family suite for my toddler. We did not except them to have one so we brought our own. As mentioned before, there is not much shade or service by the splash pads and kids pool for parents who want to sit and watch their kids play in the splash area. Many times at the restaurants, the servers did not give my son a place setting or offer him drinks. We had to ask to get him set up every time. They also did not have booster seats (although they do have high chairs). Sometimes it felt like the little guests were being ignored which should not be the case for a family resort.
Overall, we had a great time. The lack of personal service is disappointing but nothing beats swimming all day and enjoying a nice dinner and show at night. It is a great value and beautiful place to stay.
PS: The Wifi sucks!! Unelss you are in certain parts of the lobby or find that one sweet spot in your room....don't count on being connected.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most majestic peninsulas in the world and offering spectacular views of the Sea of Cortes, Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a luxurious all inclusive oasis of sophistication and comfort. This magnificent beachfront resort is minutes from beautiful downtown San Jose del Cabo and features plush accommodations, impressive amenities, impeccable service and is just minutes from the international airport. Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a unique, all inclusive experience that offers a myriad of activities from fine dining options at six a la carte restaurants and two gourmet buffet restaurants, to unique spa treatments, children’s programming and nightly entertainment shows. Enjoy deep-water fishing, scuba diving, world-class golf and many more adventure activities nearby. Or, simply relax and soak up the sun in one of the resort’s five swimming pools and breathtaking beachfront. This luxury resort also features 35,000 square feet of meeting facilities and ideal locations combined with the special touch of event planners who will attend to every last detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Barcelo Hotel Los Cabos
- Barcelo Resort Los Cabos
- The Grand Baja
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos Mexico - San Jose Del Cabo