“The Best Family Vacation”

Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had the best family vacation at the Hyatt Ziva! The hotel was very clean and our room was spacious with a nice sized balcony that overlooked the pool with an ocean view. Everybody who worked there was professional and also seemed genuinely warm and and eager to make us feel welcome. We thought that the food in the buffet was good with fresh fruit at every meal, and always a choice of some type of authentic Mexican food like chilaquiles and beans at every breakfast, chicken mole enchiladas, sopes, papas con chorizo, cochinita pibil, rajas con crema to name just a few. The homemade pastries (conchas! yum!) were delicious and since I woke up early each morning, I took one and a cup of coffee to the beach to enjoy while the rest of the family slept. The pool was huge, clean, and a good temperature. Service around the pool was really good, especially Ivan. We enjoyed having a drink at the Martini bar before dinner, and our ten year old daughter loved watching the shows every night after dinner. We stayed for 9 days and could have stayed another week.

Definitely take the city bus into San Jose and explore. See the zocalo and the church. Don't miss the french bakery on one of the side streets. It has amazing gelato and sorbet (I had tequila orange) that is refreshing on a hot day.

We also went down to Cabo San Lucas for one day. It's fun to take a glass bottom boat out to the arch and next time we go we will bring our snorkeling gear and ask to get dropped off at one of the areas to swim and picnic.

We had professional photos taken at Hyatt Ziva and Stephanie is very talented and we were happy with the job she did. She was also very nice to work with.

All in all, I highly recommend the Hyatt Ziva for a family vacation. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank lauren'smom
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to create unique and memorable moments for all our guests, we are delighted to learn that you had a great time during your recent visit.

We are proud of our traditional cuisine and every day we enjoy sharing with our guests some our most delicious plates, it is pleasant to learn that you really enjoy our plates every day. Los Cabos are two beautiful Towns were you can find a wide variety of activities and entertainment for all ages and the most beautiful sceneries.

Many thanks for your kind comments and recommendations, we cannot wait to host you again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We travelled with a group of twelve couples for my husbands 50th birthday! Hotel pictures do not do this beautiful hotel justice! Everything was very clean, staff was very friendly and hard working. Our room was clean and the air conditioning worked great. Comfortable bed! Our biggest draw to book here were the amount of restaurant choices 8!! Hacienda BBQ was so yummy and our server Daniel ( Tribi ) was outstanding! Another standout employee was Anjelica a poolside server bringing drinks and picking up trash left around! Such a hardworking girl! Please tip these people! The Spa was really nice services were very reasonable and the pool and sauna area was so relaxing! We are already talking about doing a big family trip next year to The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dairywife

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and the time you took to share them.

Your comfort and enjoyment is our priority and we strive every day to offer all our guests the best quality to make them feel like home. We appreciate your kind comments with regards our staff performance, they will receive a mention for their contribution to make your stay memorable.

All our guests should let us pamper them in our Spa as you did, it is great that you had a wonderful time with us.

We are looking forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Here to celebrate my birthday with friends, so we are 5 couples just wanting to have a good time and of course to celebrate me

Our flight was delayed so we ended up arriving a day late, we figured ok we spent a night at the airport let's get to the hotel and jump into bed for a quick nap. Wrong!!! Our rooms were not ready, we had to hang in the lobby for a few hours waiting for the rooms to be cleaned. Ok bittersweet since we paid for an extra night that we didn't enjoy and couldn't enjoy on a timely manner.
But the staff at the lobby made some effort to make us feel somewhat taken care of.....

Here we go:

Let's start with the positive:
Beautiful property & grounds!!!
Service is also pretty good almost everywhere in the resort.
Rooms are amazing, clean and spacious.
Yoga on the beach? Awesome!!!
Worth waking up early for it.

The not so positive:

"Bon vivant" service was terrible, we celebrated my birthday there at least we tried.....
Got to the restaurant at 6:20pm got a buzzer and waited till 9:35 to be seated. I guess it couldn't be worst
9:55 our waiter finally shows up, we then order our drinks and food ordering was mandatory since the kitchen closes in 5 min. (10:00pm).
Ok so we did place our order.
Drinks took about 25min to be prepared..... (Bar was closing so getting our drinks was pretty much a hassle for them) we had to ask 5 times about our bottle of wine, seriously 5 times!!!!
Food takes another 15-20 to come out.....
Around 11 we finally get to desert to find out again that the kitchen is closed again..... Really?? Keep in mind that we requested a "piece of cake" for my bday dinner @6:20, a 3:30hr advance notice".
You need the kitchen to be open to get a piece of cake or to scoop some ice cream with a candle on it????

But you would think that they would've formally announce that there wasn't gonna be any desert because they decided to acknowledge us at 9:55 too!!!!!!
Ughhhhh

What really made us mad was the fact that we waited for 3 hrs to then be treated as if it was our fault!!!

Fed up with all the drama we then leave, so I think by then the staff finally figured out that we've had it.
A few minutes later I then see the staff walking out with a tiny cake and candle singing happy birthday.
Nice touch but just a bit: "too little too late" feel.

The food was good but I wouldn't recommend to wait this long for it.

It must be my "princess" attitude or just mediocre service not sure which to believe lol.

Overall we did enjoy our stay there!
Definitely more of a family resort rather than couple/ party resort.
Entertainment is very subtle to be polite. But that might be because of our prior experiences. We've stayed at the Riu palace Cabo a few time before and made a lot more memories .....
Depending on what type of vacation you are looking for, this place is great for relaxation and family bonding time.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank teresa n

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to host you, we appreciate the time you took to share your comments.

Please allow me to apologize for the series of inconveniences that you had during your birthday celebration we are very sorry that you could not enjoyed your day as you were planned. I appreciate you bring this matter to my notice and the proper actions will be taken to improve our service.

Many thanks for your kind comments, it is pleasant to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We traveled to the Hyatt Ziva for a long July 4th weekend with extended family and our experience was wonderful from the second we stepped off the airport shuttle. The entire staff was friendly and attentive, the grounds were clean, the food was varied, delicious, and abundant - something for everyone at so many different venues - buffets, restaurants, snack bars. They do have a dress code for the restaurants so be aware of that. It's fairly loose, but you'll want to know what to bring. We loved Capri, the Italian restaurant and Lotus, the Japanese restaurant and everyone was happy with the buffet. The all-inclusive stay makes everything so easy when you are dealing with different age groups and palates. Our generous sized room was decorated in a comfortable contemporary style with a beautiful, large bathroom and an ocean view. Our traveling companions had a two bedroom premier suite that was like a small apartment - perfect for a family with young or old kids. There are several pools that were kept very clean, plenty of chaise lounges, towels, comfortable fire pit areas for cooler nights, bars, shops, a well appointed gym, activities, etc.

The only negatives:

1) We love swimming in the ocean but couldn't because the current is too strong - dangerously strong. That said, the beach is beautiful.
2) The internet was slow and inconsistent, and every time we left our devices for longer than five minutes we would have to log back into the hotel's wi-fi. Sometimes we could reconnect right away, sometimes it was painfully slow, and sometimes it wouldn't work at all. This is great if you really want to disconnect.
3) There is no business center if you aren't staying in a premier room.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because when we go to the beach we like to swim and snorkel but the dangerous surf made that impossible.

2  Thank pmac1238
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks, we truly value your comments and the time you took to write them.

We are happy that you enjoy your time with us and that you enjoyed our pools and the variety in our restaurants. We do not recommend to swim in the ocean for safety reasons. Many thanks to mention all the activities that you enjoyed the most, your kind comments are our best motivation.

We cannot wait to host you again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned, last night, from 8 days at Hyatt Ziva and felt compelled to write my first review on Trip advisor. Due to flight delays we arrived late at night and were relieved to see a beautiful resort....nicer than we had expected. Check in went very smoothly. We were shown our room by the bellman and again were pleased. It was a longer walk than we would have wanted from the main building but by the morning had decided not to change (although we had been afforded the option). A/C was excellent.Room was large and immaculate with a full ocean view.
Because of our late arrival the bellman walked us to the buffet restaurant and made sure that we were seated even though they were closing. The manager then instructed us to relax and take our time, that he had spoken to the chef to make sure we would have fresh food. A good end to a difficult day of travel.
The outstanding aspect of this resort is the staff....hands down. I'll just name a few.
Jonathan at the front desk always made sure that whatever we needed was taken care of promptly and efficiently and he always greeted us with a smile as though he was genuinely happy to see us (I'm sure not always). He was our "go to" guy and we were never disappointed. We were sorry that he was off duty when we went to say goodbye.
Days at this resort revolve around the pools and if you are not comfortable your vacation will be ruined. Chaise lounges and umbrellas are sometimes scarce due to people reserving them for hours without using them. Thank G-d for Hugo the manager of the pools and beach. He always goes out of his way to make sure you have what you need and I even saw him speaking to a couple whom he noticed had removed our umbrella while we were in the pool (I explained to him that we had agreed that they could use it until we needed it). He was always accessible and did not hide from the guests as some in that position might not be blamed for doing. Hugo, job well done.
Our last night we made a purchase at the jewellery store (Jonathan recommended that we do it at the hotel rather some unknown shop in town) and afterwards I realized there was a small error in the bill. when I returned to the shop it was closed. I explained my dilemma to Fernanda at the front desk and that we were leaving before store opening in the A.M.. She took down all my information and notes on the problem and assured me that she would pass on the information and she was sure that the error would be corrected. Sure enough when arrived home last night there was, already a voice mail from the jewellery store waiting for us.The issue is not yet resolved but I have confidence that it will be. It would appear that Jonathan did give us the right advice.
How does Daniel at the Coral maintain that enthusiasm after so long. He dazzled us.
When my wife mentioned to Ruben at Bon Vivant (in my absence) that I would probably enjoy chocolate ice cream for desert, ignoring my wife's protests, he actually went to another restaurant to get it, talk about "beyond the call of duty"
Also much appreciated was no timeshare...what a relief.
We had read on Trip Advisor that drinks were watered down....not so!!
Also many complaints about WiFi which was of great concern to me. I can say that it was not perfect but we were able to access regularly and fairly easily even in our room so maybe something was done to rectify the problem.
We had turndown service after our first full day which was wonderful. After the beach and showers and relaxing on the bed before dinner the room needs refreshing but sadly it never happened again.
I'm sure had we requested it it would have been done but it would be nice without asking.
The grounds are well manicured.
The staff in general goes out of their way to be friendly and accommodating.
The shows in the evening were fun enough for that type of resort.
Needless to say we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: The main building would be recommended especially for seniors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cwduo
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to write your comments.

We are pleased to know that we create a memorable experience and that you felt like home, your completely satisfaction is our main goal. Many thanks for the time you took to mention the staff that contributed to make your stay more than perfect, your comments are the best motivation.

We are looking forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I along with our 3 year old son spent 5 nights here mid July. We booked through Nikki at Tripguy.com. This is the 2nd trip that we have booked with her and we just love the personal attention she has given us. I definitely count on her expertise for all our travel needs and recommend her to everyone I know!

Resort - The resort is beautiful! There are 3 pools and a kids splash area. My son loved the splash area! The kids area was the only place to get a chair by the pool unless you woke up early and "reserved" your spots at the 2 main pools. The kids area was great except there was not much shade and barely any service. Someone would come by every now and then, but there was no one assigned to the pool area. You would have to leave the area in order to get a drink or something to eat. The service at the main pools were so-so.

Rooms - We had a family suite which included a living area with a trundle, 2 bathrooms, a king bed in the bedroom and a small balcony over looking the main pools. The room was spacious and always cool. It does show signs of age though. The toilet in one of the bathrooms did not flush well. Housekeeping came once a day and did a great job cleaning up. The minibar was only refilled once during our 5 night stay. I would have liked it to be restocked more often, especially the bottled water since it is used to brush our teeth as well as drinking during the hot weather. We ended up getting bottles of water around the resort and from room service every chance we got.

Restaurants - We only ate at the buffet for breakfast. The selection was great but the food was just okay. The cooks at the omelette station are not very good. The service could use some improvement. I love the fact that no reservations are needed for the a la carte restaurants. The Japanese, Spanish and French restaurants were great. The teppanyaki show was great and the chef cooked the meats just right. Carlos at the Spanish restaurant was the best server we encountered! The paella is excellent! The desserts at the French restaurant are to die for! We ate at Hacienda (the steakhouse) for lunch and dinner. Both times, our steaks were charred. My husband use to be a chef and he noticed the flame on the grill is too high and the cooks were leaving the meat directly on the flame too long which resulted in the charring of the steaks. We also ate at the Italian restaurant which was the worst. I liked the appetizer table they had but the service and food were bad. Our server never refilled our drinks until asked several times and the food tasted like butter was poured all over the dishes before they went out. For room service, get the ham sandwich! They also brought warm milk for my son which was greatly appreciated.

Entertainment - There is a kids show at 8:00pm and a main show at 9:00pm every night. The kids show is entertaining. They do dances, songs and get the kids up on stage. The main show varies every night. The Everything show on Sunday nights is horrible! The first part consisted of a very bad game of name that tune that involved people having a bottle of tequilla forced down their throats when they answered wrong...the same bottle traveled from person to person...gross! We left. We did watch Fantasia on Monday night which was pretty good and entertaining for the kids.

Kids Club - I took my son to the kids club every morning after breakfast for about an hour. The actual kid's club is a bit small and could use an update. They had a lot of sand toys but not too many other toys for younger kids. Carla at the kid's club is great! She does arts and crafts and games with the kids. I think my son developed a small crush on her during the time we were there. :-)

Warning - My husband ate something at dinner one night that caused him to have an allergic reaction. It was minor but we were not able to find allergy medicine anywhere. The gift shop did not carry any Benedryl or Claritin...they did have Viagra though =P We called the front desk, concierge and room service with no luck. The concierge and room service basically said they dont have it and good bye. The front desk was much nicer and offered to look around but could not find any either. Luckily, it was just a minor allergy and he was able to sleep it off but I found it a bit ridiculous that there was no allergy medicine available any where at the resort.

As a family resort, I feel that it can add a little more to cater to the young guests and families with young guests. It would have been nice to have a step stool in the family suite for my toddler. We did not except them to have one so we brought our own. As mentioned before, there is not much shade or service by the splash pads and kids pool for parents who want to sit and watch their kids play in the splash area. Many times at the restaurants, the servers did not give my son a place setting or offer him drinks. We had to ask to get him set up every time. They also did not have booster seats (although they do have high chairs). Sometimes it felt like the little guests were being ignored which should not be the case for a family resort.

Overall, we had a great time. The lack of personal service is disappointing but nothing beats swimming all day and enjoying a nice dinner and show at night. It is a great value and beautiful place to stay.

PS: The Wifi sucks!! Unelss you are in certain parts of the lobby or find that one sweet spot in your room....don't count on being connected.

12  Thank LovesVacay

Dear Guest,

Your perceptions with regards to our service help us to continue improving, thank you for taking a moment to share your comments.

We enjoy reading about the services that were comfortable for you, many thanks for your feedback show us the things that we need to correct in order to provide the best experience to all our guests, we will do and effort to please your suggestions. We are happy to learn that you had a great time and that your children enjoyed the water park.

We would be grateful if you give us another opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This location was perfect for couples, family and singles. I enjoyed every aspect of my trip. My family and ate good, great entertainment and the customer service was wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone that's ready to relax and have fun.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a balcony room facing the beach
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your comments and the time you took to write them.

Our priority is to be attentive to all our guests requirements, providing the best service always with a smile. We are proud to learn that your experience in our Resort was memorable and that you enjoyed our service and facilities.

We hope to see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!