“Great Getaway”

Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We travel mostly to Europe or Hawaii on our vacations, so we don't usually have the option to stay at an all inclusive. So glad we decided to try it on a four day trip to Cabo. A pleasant experience from beginning to end.

The open air lobby is beautiful, with a great ocean view. The check-in process was was quick. We are platinum members, so we went to the desk on the right and avoided the lines. Kevin checked us in and we decided to upgrade to a swim-up room by the adult pool. Only a 30 minute wait till the room was available. Not bad since we arrived early - around noon. We were given bracelets, so we could enjoy the amenities until our room was ready. Claudia and Marco introduced themselves and made us feel welcome.

The swim-up room was fabulous. It was great being able to hang out in the pool and be so close to our room. There is not a swim-up bar at the adult pool, but servers were continuously walking through the area. Laura at the poolside bar really stood out with her exceptional customer service. We never had a long wait for food or drinks at the pool.

Our favorite restaurants were the Japanese (great tuna roll) - we dined there twice, and the French. We also enjoyed the Hacienda Steakhouse by the beach for lunch. For breakfast, the buffets have a wide variety of choices (the two connect). We really liked the made to order omelets and the green smoothie.

We are looking forward to our next stay at the Hyatt Ziva.

Room Tip: For a quiet stay, get a room by the adult pool. The swim-up rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vicki T
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

There are no words to express our appreciation for your preference and loyalty, many thanks for taking a moment to share your comments.

As a Gold Passport member your feedback is very important for us, we want to create the most memorable moments to all our guest. It is pleasant to learn that you enjoy this beautiful destination and sceneries from our Resort. The Swim Up Suites are the most preferred of our guest because you can walk from your terrace directly to the pool. We are happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to host you again with the best service.

Best regards

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Write a ReviewReviews (4,774)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The good:
-Beautiful Resort!
-Air Conditioning in the rooms was the best we've ever had in Mexico.
-Anabel at the adult pool was phenomenal. She was always ready with drinks & a friendly smile before we even had a chance to ask! There isn't a swim-up bar at this pool, but it is MUCH quieter, more relaxing & the service was faster than at the swim-up. The whole staff at the adult pool (but especially Anabel) deserve great kudos.
-The rooms were very nice
-Lotus (Japanese) and the Italian restaurants were our favorite. The French was also good.

Some suggestions:
-The a/c in the specialty restaurants need some work. Especially the Italian.
-The front desk tried to give us a room with a double bed, instead of the king that we booked. He quickly took care of it when we said something, but the other couple that was with us were not quite as lucky. They ended up with 2 doubles pushed together.
-The lack of a reservation process at the restaurants was a bit unusual.

A note on other reviews:
-We were there 5 nights, and experienced no flies on on any food or buffets (even the pool bar)
-We never saw a single issue with chairs or towels. We always got up & to the chairs in the water of the adult pool, but looking around we always saw empty chairs, padded chairs, etc. Sure, the ones in the water were taken first, but that's not surprising.
-They ran out of towels one time. For about 15 min. Then someone brought us some. They also started taking our room number whenever we got towels.
-There seemed to be plenty of umbrellas and shade.

Tips:
The Rancho Tour to Cabo San Lucas, the Arch & Lover's Beach was well worth the $75 each. Our tour guide, Gus was amazing. This was the highlight of our trip. So beautiful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan D

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your preference and the time you took to share your comments.

Your perceptions with regards to our service help us to continue improving, thank you for enlist the things that you enjoyed the most and your suggestions to achieve our goals. We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time with us.

We will be grateful with another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I was extremely disappointed with the level of service especially from the concierge named Marco. we were told we could make reservations at the onsite restaurants through Marco which we did, both times the restaurants had no idea about the reservations though they confirmed them via voicemail left in the room. It was a 50/50 experience with the wait staff during buffet meals - 50% of the time, we had great service but the other 50% was terrible. The wait staff had no motivation to provide good service. The buffet dining room was also full of flies and we refused to sit near the windows because of them. Our room 3460 had a broken lamp, the room was constantly damp due to the air conditioning not seeming to work at optimum conditions. I will never return to this hotel again and as a platinum member of Hyatt passport, I expected much more than I received.

Room Tip: would not recommend.
4  Thank skimcobb
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We truly value your preference and loyalty to Hyatt Hotels, thank you for taking a moment to share your comments.

As a Gold Passport member your comments are very important to achieve our goals, your feedback is very important for us since helps us to know what we are doing right and what we need to improve. I truly regret that we were not able to accomplish your expectations during your last visit. We are aware of the details that you mentioned and we will continue working to avoid these occur again.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our first vacation traveling with two children (ages 3 and 8 months), and I wanted something easy and relaxing. I scoured tripadvisor to pick this resort and am glad I did. The service was excellent! Every day we were welcomed like family to the International buffet. Jose (the manager) was wonderful and Wilberth was our attentive and friendly waiter for many meals. The hostesses were also great, they were so sweet to our kids. The food was really good! The buffet had a lot of tasty choices and the a la carte restaurants were especially good. The French, Japanese and Spanish were our favorites, and we had no problem getting a table since we always had dinner on the early side. There were several bars and it was easy to get a drink. You can even order call brands, which was a pleasant surprise.

The grounds and pools are beautiful and well maintained. The kids splash area needs some work, but I saw staff scraping the ground part, so they may be preparing to resurface it. I had read about the issue of people saving pool chairs on tripadvisor, and it definitely happens. Since we were typically at the pool very early and then late afternoon (due to nap schedules), it wasn't a big problem for us. However, if I was able to hang out at the pool all day, I would have been disappointed that all of the chairs in the water and shaded by palapas were taken by folks that didn't arrive for many hours. I'm thinking management could come up with some kind of system to keep everyone happy. Possibly the chairs in the water could be reserved at the towel stand, in segments of a few hours at the time so more people could get a chance to try them?

Our room was nice and well air conditioned. We booked a double room, but inquired about a family suite upon arrival. The front desk worker was nice enough to offer us one when it became available, and even offered to waive the difference in price. After seeing the layout of the family suite, we decided to stick with the double to be closer to the kids. Though we didn't book an ocean view, we had a very nice view of the ocean and good size balcony. The only improvements could be more sound proofing as we could hear our neighbors opening and closing their door and the upstairs child running back and forth regularly. They stock the mini fridge with water, juice, and a few snacks. We wouldn't have minded more snacks, but if you want to supplement, the shop by the pool sells snacks along with trinkets. We ordered room service a couple times and thought the food was pretty good.

FYI, you can't swim at the beach here due to strong rip tides.

Also, bring a bunch of $1 and $5 bills to tip. Even though the tip is included and you don't have to tip, the staff work really hard and we felt they deserved it. We did $3-5 per meal, $3-5 daily for the maid on the pillow, $1 per drink, and $1s here and there for good service.

Room Tip: We had a 6th floor room in building two, 2614. Though not technically an ocean view room, there is a...

Dear Guest,

There are no words to express our appreciation for your kind words.

We are pleased to know that we create a memorable experience and that you felt like home, your completely satisfaction is our main goal. Many thanks for the time you took to enlist all the activities and facilities that you enjoyed the most, your comments are the best motivation.

We are looking forward to see you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The check in took 3 hours. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 and the check in was at 3pm. They made me stand in line 3 times. After the third time I was very upset so they issued me the room keys. I went up to the room and they were still cleaning the room. I had to wait in the lobby over 2 hours with kids. They pretty much ruined that they for me. On the second day, they ran out of mint for rest of our vacation. On the third day, the pool bar run out of ice and lemons. On the fourth day the pool bar ran out of ice again. Me and some of the other guests requested to talk to the manager to get an explanation. A manager name of Hugo came and he was very apologetic. He promised us that they will get more ice in the next 15 minutes. During that whole time he waited with us and served us some premium drinks to keep us satisfied. In about 20 minutes the bar tenders got ice. By the way, they only have 1 bar tender for the entire pool bar. The service is very very slow.
I spoke with one of their head managers a woman named Claudia. She was very fake with her smile and promeses. I was very disappointed to deal with Claudia. I don't know who hired her to run that hotel. She didn't even bother to call after she promised number of times that she will. I think this hotel is over rated.

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Arman04

Dear Guest,

We truly value your comments and the time you took to write them.

Our main goal is to create memorable moments to all our guests, we are very sorry to learn that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay with us. We are aware of all the details that you pointed out and the proper actions will be taken, we want to provide the most comfortable facilities and the best quality. Our Management in every department is very professional and our passion is to serve.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I consider myself a discerning traveler when it comes to things like food, service & cleanliness. Our stay at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos for 8 days was enjoyable. There were a few things that stood out (good & bad) that I would like to share:

1) Originally we were offered a room on the ground floor of building 2 facing the kids pool, and when I hesitated (I do not have children), they upgraded us to a lovely suite with a balcony.

2) Room service was decent, but sometimes a little slow (I imagine they are quite busy).

3) Wi-fi is terrible. I personally could care less, as it is nice to disconnect and enjoy, I think the hotel is missing out here. Most people like to upload pictures to make people back home jealous (fact.) Social media marketing is free and Hyatt should take advantage. Also, I was surprised that a Hyatt branded hotel wouldn't have better access.

4) This is a FAMILY RESORT - take it as it is. There is an adults pool which is quite nice, but lacking a swim up bar, which is a shame. The only swim up bar is in the main pool and a magnet for children. Not exactly my scene. Kids & bars are an odd combo.

5) Food was better than average for an all-inclusive. We enjoyed Lotus (Japanese) and Bon Vivant (French) the most. You will have to wait for a table even though most restaurants are barely half full. It would be nice to have a rotating adults only restaurant option each evening. Some children are better behaved than others, not the hotel's fault.

6) The bars/drinks are good. Only gripe - they served me a martini I asked for in a plastic beverage style glass more than once...not so great. I was told they ran out of martini glasses. Included wine selection is below average.

7) The grounds were clean - the pools, not so much. The main pools are below what I would consider clean. The adult pool needed a decent cleaning too. The beach was lovely, however difficult to get drink service, and there is NO ocean swimming.

8) Service - this is Mexico, which I consider to have some of the best service in the world, and I have traveled extensively through the country. Everyone was spectacular & friendly -EVERYONE.

9) Towels. This is a gripe of mine. Towels are everywhere. All over the pool before 8am (even though its posted "you cannot save lounge chairs.") One person, one towel, hotel should enforce posted rules. Adult pool doesn't have this issue - thank goodness!

All in all, go to this resort. It is not a "luxury" property. It is solid large resort. I imagine it's perfect for families. If you are looking for a child-free romantic experience, this is not the place for you. Also, venture out of the resort at least for a day! You will be glad you did.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Breezy904

Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your comments and the time you took to share them.

Your perceptions with regards to our service help us to continue improving, as a Family resort we want to provide the best atmosphere and activities for all the members and your feedback let us know what we are doing well and our opportunity areas.

I appreciate your kind words to describe the friendliness and helpful service from our staff, they are very thankful and we hope to have opportunity to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

A great choice for our first time in Mexico. As soon as you enter the open lobby you get a wonderful view of the sea, this resort is really beautifully built. It is centered on the swimming pools which are always crowded, people “save” their seats by waking up as early as 5am! Food was good quality, and we were offered a selection of cuisines. We were surprised by the sushi restaurant, given the sushi chefs were Mexican. The meat is not the best, but the seafood was delicious. The staff were very friendly and provided quality customer service, they seemed happy to serve us. Special thanks to Jorge and Tony boy for making our experience memorable. The rooms are clean but not spectacular, and the reception desk is not very timely in responding to our phone requests. One issue that especially miffed me was the terrible wifi – there is no reception at all in the rooms, and the wifi in the lobby is mediocre at best. But all in all my family thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Ziva.

Dear Guest,

We do really appreciate your comments, you are completely right we were blessed with the beautiful scenery of the sea of Cortez. I am glad to know that you had an excellent time with us and enjoyed our facilities.

Thank you for taking the time to enlist part of our staff that are doing a great job and they will receive a mention in our monthly staff meeting.

We are looking forward to have you again.