We just returned from a 6-night stay at the Hyatt Ziva, and overall, we had a great time. As the title says, the hotel gets the big things right, from the room to the food to the overall facilities. We would definitely come back.
There are definitely areas where the hotel can improve, especially evening activities and some aspects of service and efficiency. The resort was a great value for the rates, though we stayed in the off-season, so the imperfections may stand out more during the much more expensive high season. Again though, on the whole, we loved our trip and would highly recommend the property.
- We had a standard king room that was supposed to have a garden view, but since we were on the 6th floor, we ended up having a fantastic view of the Gulf of California. Definitely try to get a room on the 5th floor or above if you can unless you plan on going back and forth to your room a lot (ie. you have kids and a stroller). The elevators are very small and there are not enough of them, so going up and down can be annoying. The room itself was very large for a standard room and had a great bed. I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotels, but the bed and pillows were very comfortable, which made the trip a lot more relaxing. We also loved the shower and whirlpool tub. We had two minor issues with the room. One was that the batteries powering the lock died and locked us out once, but housekeeping fixed it quickly. The other was that the only settings we could figure out with the air conditioning was very cold or off. Since it was so hot out, we didn't mind full blast AC except when we first woke up, but on cooler days, it could get annoying. We were very happy with the room.
Food: For an all-inclusive, the food was very good. We tried all but the French restaurant for dinner. We liked the Spanish restaurant the best (try the paella). It also was not very crowded. The tepanyaki service was also fun and very good. Just be sure to get there early as it has a huge wait. Even the buffets were good, especially if you went to the stations where they make your food fresh. We liked the smaller buffet next to the beach for lunch. The snack bar by the pool had great shrimp tacos. You do have to plan though if you don't want to go to the restaurants right when they open at 6. You basically need to go down about 45 minutes before you eat and get your name on the waiting list. You can't waltz in at 8 and expect to sit down, especially for the most popular places. It's annoying if you do an excursion and get back late. For breakfast, we usually ordered room service to avoid the buffet lines. They were always on time and the food was good enough, though it won't be piping hot. They did make a mistake on one order, but fixed it within 15 minutes. Drinks were typical watered down all-inclusive style. It was also annoying that sodas were almost always flat. The desserts also were not great, and the resort could really use a dessert and coffee shop.
Facilities: The pools are huge and were very warm. People do 'save' chairs at the main pools with towels first thing in the morning, which is annoying. The adult pool was very quiet and also very large. The grounds were generally very clean. The beach is also very clean, though it's too bad you can't swim there. We didn't use the spa/fitness center, and like another commenter, thought that the kids pool and play area could use a bit of an upgrade (we didn't have kids, but did take a look at it). Internet access was poor, especially in the room. If you need to stay connected, this is not the place.
Activities/atmosphere/service: The resort caters primarily to families and couples and is in the quieter San Jose del Cabo, so it is not a party place. Organized activities are fairly limited. We did enjoy the trivia game. The weather was great and we mostly hung out by the pool, so the limited activities didn't matter much, but it could be pretty boring if you get a rainy day. We also don't like the booze crowd, so the quieter atmosphere was a plus. However, the resort really needs better night activities. The musical shows are only ok. They could use more variety, like comedy, magic, games, etc. There just isn't much to do at night other than hang out at the fire pits.
We found the employees around the resort and in the restaurants very friendly and accommodating. We don't have specific names, but we felt that the employees really wanted to provide a good experience. The only exception was the check in/check out process, which is slow. It was also good that there isn't pressure to tip every single time to get decent service. I did tip, but it was more because I felt people deserved it, not as a requirement. Also, we didn't get the club package and thankfully, this isn't a place where you can only enjoy it with the upgrade. We hope it stays that way.
There are a lot of people at the front desk, but only a few who actually do anything. Also, the concierges were not as friendly as we would have liked. However, when my wife left her cell phone in the lobby when we left for the airport, they were able to find it, put in a cab and get it to us in time. That is great service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most majestic peninsulas in the world and offering spectacular views of the Sea of Cortes, Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a luxurious all inclusive oasis of sophistication and comfort. This magnificent beachfront resort is minutes from beautiful downtown San Jose del Cabo and features plush accommodations, impressive amenities, impeccable service and is just minutes from the international airport. Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a unique, all inclusive experience that offers a myriad of activities from fine dining options at six a la carte restaurants and two gourmet buffet restaurants, to unique spa treatments, children’s programming and nightly entertainment shows. Enjoy deep-water fishing, scuba diving, world-class golf and many more adventure activities nearby. Or, simply relax and soak up the sun in one of the resort’s five swimming pools and breathtaking beachfront. This luxury resort also features 35,000 square feet of meeting facilities and ideal locations combined with the special touch of event planners who will attend to every last detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Barcelo Hotel Los Cabos
- Barcelo Resort Los Cabos
- The Grand Baja
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos Mexico - San Jose Del Cabo