“Pure Class!”

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Melbourne, Australia
“Pure Class!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Breathing taking views, the most attentive and pleasant hospitality!
We found everything of high standard. Friendly and warm staff from room service, house keeping, barmen, waiters/waitresses. Food was amazing. Encountered a slight issue with staff organising day trips etc across from reception. Otherwise, everything was to perfection. Would definitely consider going again if I had the chance. A special thanks and cheers to Alberto from dining.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We enjoy reading such a kind review, on behalf of all the Hyatt Ziva Associates we want to thank you for the time you took to share your experience.

It is pleasant to learn that you had a wonderful and memorable experience but most of all that you enjoy the friendliness of our staff and their customer service, Alberto is very thankful with your comments and all our associates will continue working to offer their best all the time.

We are looking forward to host you again.

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The place is just beautiful and the restaurants are just wonderful with good food and service (with the exception of the Japanese restaurant where service was very slow with small portions; and worse, so very noisy that you could not hear your own thoughts let alone talking to anyone - but that could be we were in the wrong place and the wrong time because of the crowd there - yet no one seems to control the place).

The "Restaurant Internacional" buffet has extremely large selection and all good. And the servers (Eduardo Antonia Gonzalez would be one of the outstanding examples) there all very courteous and helpful. We particularly enjoyed the Spanish restaurant and seafood there was just so very good. We think that we would go back to the hotel again just for the octopus appetizer alone. The French and the Italian restaurants were so good too that we visited more than once as well when we were there. Just a very good place to spend a week!

Room Tip: Learn to change the air conditioner thermostat quick to adjust the temperature to what you would lik...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your kind comments and the time you took to write them.

As our main goal is to exceed all our guest expectations we strive every day to please our guests’ requirements, we take advantage of our talented Chefs in each one of our restaurants to offer a variety of the most delicious plates to pamper all tastes. Many thanks for mentioning the hard work of Eduardo, he is one of our most mentioned associates for his excellent service.

We are delighted with your comments and we are looking forward to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for some rest prior to a fishing trip and the hotel fulfilled its purpose admirably. The rooms were fine, the food was excellent and the staff were very attentive. We should give a particular mention to Cesar on reception who was extremely helpful when my wife had a dental problem.
Would we go back? Most definitely.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Badger1952
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time, many thanks for sharing your comments.

We will be waiting for you with open arms definitely we love to provide quality services to all our guests and make them fell like home. Our restaurants and facilities were created to provide comfort and enjoyment to all the family members and your comments are our best motivations.

Cesar will receive a mention in our monthly associate meeting for his performance and commitment.

Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure, I thoroughly do my research before I book a hotel. So based on some great trip advisor reviews I recently booked a week-long family vacation at the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos, Mexico. I found an excellent deal directly on the Hyatt website, for which I had to pre-pay. However as I continued to follow TA prior to our travel date I noticed many mixed reviews began to appear. During our stay we experienced both the good and bad that the Ziva has to offer, so here are my comments to try to help dispel the myths.

Rooms:
I purchased the top room category that was available to me online at the time I booked - a Premium two bedroom suite with 1 king, 1 double and 3 bathrooms, described as “exclusive” and “spacious". As part of our booking we would also be allocated “premier” wrist bands that would allow us VIP check-in, access to the Club Lounge, and upgraded “top-shelf” drinks and wine at the bars and restaurants. Looking at pictures of (lesser-priced) suites and packages online I believed that this was the absolute best the Ziva had to offer and I was excited to be getting their ’top of the line’ room.

We arrived earlier than the check-in time of 3pm, but were told our room would be ready in about an hour. We had lunch and looked around the property and after 90 minutes returned to be told “another hour” because the room hadn’t been cleaned yet. Eventually after waiting over 5 hours (yes 5 hours) to check-in we were finally shown to an old 2 bed ‘apartment’ with tatty furniture on the 3rd floor of the ‘Fragata’ Building/Building 2. I took one look and walked straight out. After much consternation on my part, and more waiting, we finally met Claudia Rosas, Rooms Manager, and we were eventually given 2 ‘family suites’ - next door but non-adjoining - also in Building 2, with the promise of something better the following evening. These rooms were slightly better than the original, out-dated room, but one of them was not very clean.

On the second day, Claudia proudly showed us to our ‘new’ room, on the 6th floor of the 1st/original building - which was in fact, the actual room shown on the Hyatt Ziva website - the “Premium Ocean View Deluxe Suite King” with a connecting double to make our 2 bedroom suite. This was the suite I understood I had booked online - I had done my research, had read many reviews, and in fact had a number of conversations with Hyatt reservations before I booked directly through the Hyatt website. Claudia intimated to us that this set-up was an upgrade to our booking, but I did not agree. I was however very grateful for the attention that Claudia showed us and the fact that she did change our room, as we may not have stayed at the resort otherwise.

This new room combination worked great for us, it was modern, comfortable and had a furnished balcony. There were a few cons - the air conditioning would regularly emit a ‘clunk’ and dripped water; and the shower did not drain properly, flooding the bathroom unless we created a ‘dam’ of towels each time we showered. But we overlooked these minor inconveniences and turned the air-con off when we were in the room as we understood that this was the best the Ziva had to offer.

So, for rooms, in my opinion:
• DO NOT book the 2 bedroom suite. Since my booking there has been a correction made to the website stating that all 2 bedrooms are situated in the ‘Fragata’ Building. For ‘Fragata’ read - old/un-renovated. IMO this is not fair - as these are some of the most expensive rooms available online and guests paying full-price will be disappointed to find out they’re staying in the ‘older’ building - particularly if they are not made aware of this at the time of booking. (What does ‘Fragata’ mean to you, if you have never been here?)
• Family rooms are laid out with the a living room/kids area directly in the front door, on the walkway with a narrow hallway to the bedroom. In the family rooms that we were in briefly the walls were frosting-textured yellow and the bath was old and stained. Some of these suites I understand do have newer furniture and some sort of upgrade to the bathrooms. If you are a family of 3, and get a great deal, these rooms could be ok for you, depending on your expectations. Some of the rooms on ground level walk directly out to the pool area which be would nice for a family with little ones. Family suites above ground level have a peek-a-boo balcony, no furniture.
• If you are offered an 'upgrade' from a new regular room to an old family suite, you may want to decline.
• If you want a proper two bedroom suite, the kind you see pictured on the website - you must book a “Premium Ocean View Deluxe Suite King" with a connecting double.

Restaurants
During the last week only 4 of the sit-down restaurants were open - the Japanese (Lotus), the French (Bon Vivant), the Spanish (El Cortijo) and the Italian. All four were good and bad in equal doses. Overall you could have a nice meal in them all, but they were all busy, understaffed and the wine choice was poor - 1 red, 1 white - and 1 further wine choice for Premium guests - but only if you ask. It’s best all round to stick with shots or mixed drinks as then you know what you are getting!

Unless you are a Platinum Hyatt member you may not make a reservation at any restaurant. Even if you are a Premier Ziva guest, you still cannot make a reservation. You must appear in person at the restaurant at 6pm and put your name on a list. You can ‘wing it’ and turn up later in the evening and will be given a pager, and you may or may not get a table within the hour. Men must wear long pants and shoes - and it is enforced.

On the first night we waited over 2 hours for the Teppanyaki at Lotus. If you have experienced this type of cooking/show before then I wouldn’t recommend it. Specifically do not wait for 2 hours to do it, you will be disappointed. We had a somewhat better meal sitting at one of the “low-level” tables ordering a la carte - sushi was very good, but the waiter was very rushed and never returned after delivering our main course.

The International buffet was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner where the food was surprisingly good. It had a nice selection of foods and a few stations where some food is prepared on demand. However it was very, very noisy and could get very busy and chaotic at times, with a lot of families and a lot of kids.

Hacienda restaurant on the beach was good for lunches and seemed like the freshest food. Overall my favorite, taking into account the food as well as the view. My kids liked the ice cream. Hacienda also did a BBQ 3 nights last week, but we did not sample it.

Service overall in the restaurants was friendly but super rushed (it is difficult to have a relaxing, romantic meal when waiters are rushing back and forth.) One waiter told us he often took care of 20 tables at one time. We appreciated the fact that the servers were busy, but in all honestly we had paid and bought into the high-class all-inclusive pre-sell by Hyatt and again, felt penalized as a guest that the hotel was understaffed. We have since been told that in the next few months they will be doubling the wait staff at all the restaurants.

Pool Area
OK, I’m going to be honest here, the pools are a little slimy. If you can get past the slime, then you can have some fun. There are 2 main pools - the big family pool, a smaller infinity/beach-front pool, then an adult pool and a tiny pool in the kids area. There were some activities around the main pools, but not too many to be crazy, and most people seemed to be having fun.

There are just enough loungers around the pool so it doesn’t feel crowded and I don’t think there’s really a bad spot to sit around the main pools. If you want to get a palapa for some shade, then you’ll need to get up early. I found my way to the pool at 5am on two mornings and already a couple of loungers had been taken. Management told us that they were going to provide reservations/special areas for Premium guests, but unfortunately not the week we were there. Also while we were there there was a limit on towels to 1 per person, as there was a shortage… again we were missing that 4-star quality.

Service around the main pool was dismal, unless you speak Spanish, then it’s fantastic. You could wait all day for a drink or it was much quicker to go get one yourself. Food from the taco hut was ok - tacos, quesadillas, also burgers, wings etc but no real healthy choices. I did notice that room service provided a healthy ‘protein and veg choice’ at lunchtime, but this was not available by the pool.

Drinks
Depends where you get them, who serves you and what you drink. I didn’t notice that those who tipped (of which I am one) or those with Premier wristbands (ditto) got any better service than anyone else.

Room Service
Room service was ok, but the food quality was very average. The one breakfast we ordered was mostly inedible. Better to go to the buffet - but be sure to be early for breakfast as there are long lines by about 9:30am.

Cleaning
Our room was not cleaned at a regular time each day. Strangely the adjoining room would be cleaned, but not the other and then vice-versa. We called to ask for the room to be cleaned on a few days and occasionally it was. On our last day the room was not cleaned at all despite many phone calls and was eventually serviced at 8pm while we were out at dinner. At this time - and only this time - did we receive what I would call a ‘proper’ 4/5-star clean, where we got the ‘special’ towels and a really nice effort.

Premier facilities
Very, very few. The Club room is small by Hyatt standards and has one permanent staff member - Luis - who is really, really great. The Club room is good for a quick snack, top shelf drinks, excellent wifi and printing boarding passes. Other Premium perks - 20% off spa treatments, can’t think of anything else.

The Spa
I had two spa treatments, one was great, the other not so much. The water circuit is interesting, and I liked the environment. The staff are respectful and I think they create a good atmosphere. Premium guests get a 20% discount, however there is a daily special with 25% or more off a specific treatment each day. I found the cost v. service to be good and enjoyed my time in the spa. Recommended!

Wifi
Oversubscribed, difficult to get on and kicks you off after a couple of minutes. The only definite was the Club room.

Families
Again, this resort is oversubscribed by families and kids under 10. Lots of babies crying, kids crying and most likely parents crying! It’s very kid friendly. Kids are allowed in all the bars, can order soft drinks, they have pretty much free range. This is both good and bad.

Entertainment
As one reviewer on TA said - “A” for effort! But seriously, we watched half of the 70's 80's show and did not return. My recommendation to the Ziva would be to concentrate their efforts and staff on better service.

Beach
Absolutely no swimming here. Take a taxi to Chileno Beach - where all the tourist boats take snorkelers. You can literally see and swim with the fish in the water just off shore. If you don’t have a snorkel and mask walk to the MegaMart across the road and pick one up or rent one on Chileno Beach for $15. Free palapas (go in the morning to ensure you get one) - a very safe and clean, family friendly beach. Taxi is 350 or 300 Pesos, depending on who you ask. A good second choice is Pamilla Beach, very swimmable and it has a few palapas.

Transportation
We used Victors, as found on TA. His driver was very, very late when we arrived, he never answered my phone calls and on our departure day his driver failed to turn up. Not recommended! A taxi costs $25 from the Hyatt to the airport, however you need to make a prior arrangement to get to the hotel on arrival, or pay for a more expensive taxi ride.

In Conclusion
First of all, the Hyatt really shouldn’t mislead its guests by showing pictures online of one room and then allocating another on arrival - it is misleading and will disappoint many guests - and that really is my major issue.

The Hyatt Ziva promises a very high level of luxury and service. To quote the website: “luxurious”, “fine-dining”, “top notch”. I don’t believe it's quite there yet, but I do believe it is trying. Certainly the staff make every effort to be friendly and helpful, which we appreciated very much.

If you get a fantastic rate, a renovated room, don’t need to swim in the ocean, have pre-teen kids and don’t mind a little chaos with your Filet Mignon, then this could be the hotel for you!

As I said, my family got a great deal, eventually had a lovely room (as originally expected and promised) and managed to get restaurant reservations. Thanks to Claudia Rosas, all was good for us. However, if you are heading to the Hyatt Ziva, please do so with your eyes open, and do not expect to get exactly what you see online.

Room Tip: If you want a proper two bedroom suite, the kind you see pictured on the website - you must book a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank WA35
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for the time you took to share your comments.

Our main goal is to provide the most comfortable facilities and exceed all our guest expectations, our staff is committed to offer quality service with the best attitude and a sincere smile. Your comments and perceptions with regards to our services help us to continue improving, I am very sorry that your stay was less than perfect due to the misunderstanding with the rooms category. We have reviewed carefully the details that you enlist above and the proper actions will be taken to avoid these occur again.

I appreciate your feedback and your kind words to describe our staff performance. We hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Buda, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a great time at Hyatt Ziva with a swim up room. The swim up room was on the main pool side and our door led us out to the adult pool. We spent the early day on the adult pool side and afternoon on the swim up pool which was like our own private pool most the time. The staff was always checking if we needed anything so well cared for.

The restaurants were great especially the Japanese and Spanish. Italian was fine. We missed the steakhouse for dinner but had lunch in same spot that day for fajitas and was great. The premium breakfast area was very accommodating and had great view of the lagoon area. Luis was very attentive to our needs.

The room was very clean and well maintained. The bathroom was modern, we had a safe, robes and pool towels provided. A/C was very good. No issue with sound from other rooms.

We visited the sports bar mostly and had a great time. There was a good mix of people. We ran into some twenty somethings celebrating a wedding as well as others who make this their regular vacation.

There was a freak storm that blew up our last morning and Hyatt brought out a small army of staff to put everything back together so guests could get back to enjoying their time. All in All best stay.

Room Tip: Any swim up room is great. Otherwise what I have heard from others is a high room to enjoy the beach...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt T
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our appreciation for your kind comments and preference.

The Club lounge was created to offer a unique experience, during all day you will find options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Luis can assist you with special coffees and drinks, imagine spend the afternoons watching the sunsets with personalized service.

You comments are our best motivation, we are looking forward to host you.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Ziva from July 26th – Aug 2nd and was quite content to never leave the premises. This was a much needed break for me and the only thing on my agenda was to rest, relax, and recharge – and this was exactly the right place to do just that! A note to self however is never travel to Mexico in the dead of summer – it was hot – very hot for this San Franciscan!

The open air lobby looking out to the pools and ocean is beautiful! Check-in went as well as could be expected as there were at least 50 people checking in all at the same time (around 3pm). I had to wait a half an hour for my room to be ready, which, while not ideal, was not a major detractor. There was a wonderful breeze blowing through the lobby and the bar was right there for cool drinks. The lobby staff were very friendly and working hard to accommodate a lot of people at one time. I paid my bill the night before I left and had no problem checking out.

I had a suite on the 2nd floor overlooking the children’s pool area, with a small view of the ocean and the room was surprisingly very quiet. And cool! Did I mention it was hot outside!! There was a living room, a shower room with toilet, a hallway which had a bar area with coffee maker and well-stocked fridge, a bedroom, and a bathroom with large soaking tub. This suite was actually bigger than my apartment in San Francisco! It was a luxury to say the least.

Unfortunately, neither of the two phones in the suite worked (room 2212). The front desk sent someone to my suite right away while I went to dinner, but the phones were unable to be fixed for the duration of my stay as, from my understanding, the problem was the wiring in the walls. So no room service was to be had. ☹ This just forced me to be more social and get out to dinner every night – so not a major deal breaker either. While the suite had 2 TVs – one in the living room and one in the bedroom, only the one in the bedroom worked, and the remote control did not work (probably needed batteries). This was by no means a problem for me as I only turned the TV on once just for fun. I didn’t miss it at all.

The Staff! Wow, can I just say how wonderful all of the staff that I encountered are! They are all very hard working, and always had a smile and a friendly attitude. The hostesses at the morning buffet were stellar! They were always cheerful and smiling, and always had a kind word. They worked as quickly as they could to seat everyone as quickly as possible. The wait staff inside at both buffets were amazing – Alberto, Jesus, Jose, and many others whose names escape me – just wonderful! Very attentive, and very hard working. I was surprised that not more people tipped the wait staff – in any of the eateries. They work so hard and I am sure that tips are always appreciated – so please do bring dollar bills or pesos with you to tip all of the staff, especially the chefs working behind the hot grills making your food to order! The Italian restaurant was the only sit-down I could get into as I went to dinner really early that night. It was amazing – the food beautifully presented and very tasty! The other restaurants (French/Spanish/Japanese) always had at least an hour wait. Being alone on this trip it was just easier for me to go the buffet most nights and it suited me just fine. The food was sometimes not very hot, but I felt of a good quality so it wasn’t a problem. I did attend the outdoor BBQ one night and while I enjoyed the food immensely, the flies were a bit bother-some, but you are outside after all– it’s just one of those things that tends to bother me, but there is nothing the staff could have done about it.

My one complaint is not every being able to get a chair by the pool until around 5pm when most people go to get ready for dinner. I’d walk by in the morning after breakfast and every chair would have a towel or a book on it, but no people in them. What is that all about? It’s a good thing I like the beach, as I was always able to find a chair there – albeit the shady chairs were sometimes harder to come by. As others have mentioned, you cannot swim at this beach as it has too strong of an undertow. The lifeguard had to go pull a few people out one day as they kept getting pulled farther and farther out. It was refreshing, however, to stand at the edge and let the waves rush over you – it cooled me off enough on most days. The wait staff on the beach were amazing – very attentive and hard working!! I don’t know how they do it all day in that hot sun! My hat is off to them.

The spa was another amazing oasis! I had two 80-minute massages and one 50-minute massage all by Monica. She has healing hands! It is a beautiful spa, two storied, stone walls, very cool and restful. I would spend most of the hot afternoon in the spa on the days I had scheduled services. This was one of the reason’s I came home so relaxed and refreshed – it was exactly what I needed!

All in all I would rate this a 4 star experience and would definitely recommend any of my friends or family to visit the Hyatt Ziva. It is beautifully landscaped and the people are lovely, warm hearted and genuine – that’s what made the trip worth while. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Romo42
Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to exceed all our guest expectations with the best quality, we appreciate your comments.

Our staff is committed to offer the best service always with a sincere smile, we love to serve and we are delighted to learn that you had a great time. Please allow me to apologize for the non intentional inconveniences that you experienced in your suite, we took the proper actions to avoid this occur again.

We will be waiting for you with open arms.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Recently spent a week at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos for our 10th anniversary. We had a mixed experiences!

The Good: As an all inclusive resort, it's a good value and you don't ever need to leave the resort during your stay if you choose.The restaurants all had good quality food, the variety was plentiful for the length of our stay. The host, wait, bar and bus staff were all very attentive and helpful. The facilities, pools and grounds are well maintained.

The Bad: The inter-departmental communication (anything requested over the phone) at the hotel is horrible, and you should not expect that your request will be ever be fulfilled. I should also mention that I speak fluent Spanish, so there's nothing to get lost in translation. Not to mention that most of staff speaks perfect English too.

1. It took three days to have our room cleaned. On day two, I called to request the room be cleaned, was told no problem someone would be up ASAP, but nothing! Called again morning of day three finally late that afternoon approx. 4PM someone finally cleaned the room and provided us with fresh towels and TP.

2. Called guest services to book a cabana for the next day approx. $40 USD additional charge. I was advised that cabana #1 was reserved for us. Went down the next morning spent about an hour in the cabana only to be evicted by the pool manager Hugo. Apparently this was double booked and our party was the one that had to move. Hugo was accommodating and moved us to cabana #2. We had a chat with Hugo and explained that we would like to avoid this problem moving forward... asked to reserve a cabana for the next three days...Hugo brought us a reservation sheet, we signed for our reservation..."all booked for next three days". Fast forward to the next day,same situation in my cabana for about an hour only to be evicted again by the staff on duty. I asked to speak with Hugo, only to be told that it was his day off. Additionally the guy gave me an under the breath comment to the effect of "Hugo.. what and idiot", but did nothing to solve the problem.I asked if he could review the reservation sheets, I was told it was my responsibility to go all the way from the beach to the lobby and clear this up. As you can image, by the point I was just fed-up and I cancelled my reservations!

3. Had a standard ground floor suite (2124) in building 2, which is supposed to afford you a patio with two lounge chairs and a 15 yard walk to the pools. On day three our lounge chairs disappeared (not blaming the hotel staff). I called guest services and explained that the chairs were removed and that we would like them back, since I was resigned to the fact that this is where I would be spending the majority of the mid mornings and afternoons. Again no action what so ever.Had to snag a couple of chairs in the middle of the night after everyone finished using them. BTW some guest are out at 5:30A placing towels over these chairs, as they are hard to come by, if you plan on hitting the pool any later than 9A.

The subjective: This was intended to be a romantic getaway.... in my opinion this resort is better suited for family getaways. Even at the bars & adults only pool, its hard to get away from all the kids, as the rules are not stickily enforced by either the hotel or its guest. I'd consider a different location if your looking for some solace with your mate.

Room Tip: if your planning a romantic getaway,get a room in building 3, its newer, closer to the adults only p...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SEAFrankT
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for taking a moment and share your comments.

Our commitment is to fulfill all or guests requirements providing the best quality and services, please allow me to apology for the inconveniences that you had in your suite during your recent stay with us, our guests are our priority we are very sorry to learn your perception with regards our services. We are delighted to learn that you enjoy the quality of our restaurants and our facilities but most of all the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,659 reviews
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,781 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,074 reviews
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,019 reviews

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!