“Decent Hotel, Not the Best”

Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
New York City, New York
“Decent Hotel, Not the Best”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a low-key bachelorette party in mid June 2014. I have been to a few all inclusive places before and I would say it was just okay. There is just the one restaurant and the one buffet. The food at the buffet was better than at the restaurant. We showed up 20 minutes late for our reservation and they would not seat us the one night at the restaurant. Lesson learned is to be on time, The one time we did eat at the restaurant, we all enjoyed out big glasses of wine and the appetizers at the restaurant, but all of the meat options were way over cooked. The drinks at the bar were pretty good. Go out early in the morning to get a spot by the pool if you want to be under the shade. There is not enough shade seating at the pool. The waves were too large when we went so they did not allow us to go in the ocean. The front desk staff was pretty nice to me. You had to pay extra to use a safe. It is much better to charge any of these incidental extras to a credit card than use the front desk to exchange currency. They took a big cut off of the actual exchange rate. They are very cheap when it comes to giving out water bottles or drinks for your room. You must go to the bar if you want a glass of water late night. You get two small water bottles per day. All and all it was a fine stay for 3 days. I do not think that I would want to stay longer than that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LizardNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at this resort in June. We initially had issues with our room, but Ramon at the front desk took care of it immediately. The staff was very nice and accommodating, Miguel took care of us every morning during breakfast, remembered our drinks and politely pulled out our chairs and laid napkins across our laps, he was the best. Poolside was very nice and relaxing, activities were fun and exciting. The resort is pretty small compared to other's we have visited which was very pleasant when it came to dining and evening activities, there was no crowd. That is until the last night of our stay when a group of drunken deviants came and tried to ruin karaoke night...good thing we were on our way out. lol.. they know who they are Javier from NJ, and also the DFW clowns. (one of them had a superman shirt on, unfortunately the S was on his belly). Also don't use the concierge, he selectively helps only single women, leaves his post, doesn't know how to use a computer, and to make matters worst he doesn't know what he's doing.

Room Tip: room # beginning with 200 are best, not ground level nor up to high. Only access is a small elevator...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Black452
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here with the purchase of a groupon for the Royal Decameron after we spent a week at another place nearby. I was a little weary of an all inclusive as I had a bad experience once before but the price was right. I had read other reviews left by people and asked to stay on the side of the resort away from the Hyatt. Initially the front desk said they couldn't accommodate but literally 1min later the supervisor had worked it out and we got what we asked for. The wait staff and the bartenders were very friendly and took care of you. The drinks here are not measly little drinks...so I am warning you now...don't drink too many Mai Tai's...they are strong ;) The entertainment during the day was very amusing and was not at all annoying like you here about at other resorts. And the evening entertainment was good as well, with bands, dancers and hypnotists brought in at night. The music was also really good. We had friends staying at another resort at the same time as our trip and they told us that at their resort at one point the same song played on repeat for almost an hour! Not at our resort. The was some dance and club, some rock, some 80s and 90s, and even some country one morning! During one drunken afternoon I left our camera at the snack bar and when I realized what I had done and went back it was gone. I thought for sure it was gonzo. But the next day when I went to the front desk they had it in a drawer for me. I was amazed. The Royal Decameron in San Jose del Cabo was a fantastic experience. Some people have commented on the paintings that are hung up around the resort. I don't know it it's because I'm a nurse and see naked bodies every day so I am unfazed but I didn't even notice the paintings. This place changed my opinion of all inclusives and we will definitely return again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank shannon j
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We got a heckuva deal on a hotel/car package and jumped at the chance for a 7 night stay for 3 people in an all-inclusive resort for $800. Come to find out, there may have been a reason for that great deal. As mentioned before, the beds are rock hard and the place could use some renovations. I realize that this company took over from a previously adult-themed resort, but they could have maybe done some more work to it before opening. The mini fridge is just that; very mini! And it didn't seem to get very cold either. The grounds/pool area were very neat and clean and the staff friendly and courteous, for the most part. Javier, one of the pool bartenders, seemed very disinterested in serving you. Antonio, on the other hand, is a total rock star! And a hero to boot. He helped save a young man from drowning in the ocean. Swimming here is not recommended. If you don't like Tecate Light, I suggest you ask for the dark beer, Indio. It is so much better. It was suspected however, by us, that they might re-use their straws. At least it seemed like it early on in our trip. I swear I had one that had been squared off by a previous user. The activities staff was very cheerful and pleasant and some of the afternoon games were entertaining. My wife won a bottle of tequila during the movie music trivia game. The nightly entertainment is good too.
The food here was pretty good in my opinion. The fresh pico de gallo was amazing. It and the salsa verde were staples on my plate for every meal I ate at the buffet. The a la carte option wasn't anything amazing, but it was still good. The absolute best part about the food experience and probably our whole trip in general, was our server every day for breakfast and lunch. Daniel is a great server who remembers your name, your drink order and even small details that you may have just mentioned in passing on the first day. He went above and beyond on multiple occasions for us. We celebrated our anniversary and my birthday while at the resort and Daniel made them special by bringing us a specially made fruit plate at breakfast and a cake at lunch later in the week. We enjoyed his kindness and thoughtfulness so much that we invited him to my birthday dinner and he accepted. He made the restaurant suggestion (Mi Casa - very good!), the reservation and he even picked us up at the resort. Oh yeah, and he even ordered a cake that was presented to me by the waiter and a mariachi band. What more can be said about this special young man!?! We have gained a new friend. Thanks for making our stay so wonderful, Daniel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kev06032012
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Donny was the best bartender. LOVED our stay! Had a great time would def go back! It was super clean and the staff was amazing. The food was excellent. And I loved the fact it was across the street from a mall and Cabo dolphins(which I highly recommend trying) also try a tropical dimond drink and bring small bills for tipping!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Caite924
NJ
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We are very happy that we pick this resort to stay at. This was our first time here.This is a four star resort with a five star atmosphere and five star employees. A great place for couples or families with kids. The decor of the resort is very nice, the setting on the beach was romantic, the entertainment fun and energetic, and the food was good. It's location is right on the beach and in walking distance to stores, a mall, shops and restaurants and close to town which was beautiful. Some of the things that stood out the most about this resort were that they are very clean, polite, friendly, helpful and attentive. All were nice, but the one who made our stay even better was (Jesus) who is one of the managers here. Yes, all employees and especially managers should make all guest's stay comfortable and enjoying. But Jesus was authentic and sincere about it. He remembers your name, quick to help or resolve any issue you may have. He was like this the entire stay. All of the employees here were Great and friendly. My spouse and I appreciate good customer service and we got better than that at this resort. Los Cabos itself is a very very nice place and The Royal Decameron helped to make it one of our most favorite trips.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First of all, the food is horrendous ! The pools close around 7, including the hot tub! Be sure to tip or the attitude you get from staff is even worse! We called at 8 one night to get our mini-fridge filled because it was not filled at check-in and finally the next day it was stocked with 2 beers , 2 waters and 2 sodas. Beds are like sleeping on a piece of hardwood so be prepared. Be sure to take the bus for $3 to San Lucas, you'll want to get away from this place. If you stay here please expect more of a hotel stay and not a resort feel! Los Cabos is basically like staying in the ghetto, so if you travel here stay in San Lucas. Be prepared to be constantly badgered about buying timeshares and excursions . Do not buy into anyone trying to help you do anything, they will finish by either trying to sell you something or they have a friend who can help you .lol. Going back and reading some of these reviews, I wonder if this is some people's first time at a resort so their expectations are really low. Remember it's not all-inclusive when you have to spend money elsewhere because the free food is horrible... Trust me , my wife and I thought we could eat anything... Until we had the food at this place. I was embarrassed for the cooks for even bringing the food out I witnessed being served .. Unless you like Tecate light, you are screwed thinking you can drink beer to make the food better. Top shelf? Smirnoff is the top shelf liquor . One positive would be, pool is never crowded.... Geez, I wonder why?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
#19 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Royal Decameron Los Cabos? Share your experiences!