“As the saying goes. You get what you pay for.”

Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Denver, Colorado
“As the saying goes. You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just returned from a 6 night stay. Will never stay at resort again. Terrible food, terrible service. The bartenders were not only rude but the liquor and beer served was so bottom shelf we had to go buy our own (even though the resort was "all inclusive"). The only edible food was breakfast buffet. The only nice thing about this resort were the grounds/pool and the waitstaff in the main restaurant. To top it off we have family who live in San Jose and the resort tried to charge them $90 US PER PERSON just to spend the day with us. They negotiated a lower rate (still not worth it). My brother in law forgot to retrieve their driver's licenses upon departure so he drove back later that night to pick them up. THE HOTEL REFUSED TO GIVE THEM BACK until the situation escalated to almost getting the police involved. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Much better properties in Cabo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank O W
guest_service153, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
On behalf of the Royal Decameron Los Cabos I would like to thank you for your comments.
We would like to inform you that we have been working on these aspects in order to fix the inconvenience you had, and guaranty that it does not repeat itself.

We hope that you return to our resort in order to enjoy the entirety of our hotel and the services it has to offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Like many others, my boyfriend and I used a Groupon to book a short summer vacation to Royal Decameron Los Cabos. Before booking, I read most reviews and while I knew it would not be as luxurious as other all-inclusive resorts I had visited, I decided this would be perfect for our needs.

Overall, the best part of our experience here were interactions with the staff. For the most part, they are hardworking, friendly, and very helpful! As with anywhere, there were a couple unfriendly faces, but we only encountered them once or twice in our week-long stay. Additionally, we really liked the size of the resort. We never felt like anything was too crowded and were always able to easily find a seat on the beach, at the pool, or at the restaurants.

Food and Drink - The food left something to be desired at times, though, overall, we were very satisfied with even that. The buffet offered a variety of options and always including something that was made to order - omelettes, pasta, tacos, etc. We ate dinner twice at Luna, the beachfront restaurant that requires reservations. The first evening our experience was fantastic - our waiter, Luis, was friendly, funny, and provided high quality service. In addition, both of our meals were delicious. The second evening was still good, but not quite the experience our first evening there had been. The only food experiences we had that left us unimpressed were with the snacks at Luna. The service was slow and the food was less than stellar. We only ate lunch at the buffet after our first experience and came back later for ice cream. The staff at the bars, especially the pool bars, were willing to make any drinks we requested and we never felt that they were watered down. One tip we discovered on the last day as we were tiring of our normal assortment of drinks is that they have a drink menu - but you generally have to ask for it. We had especially great service from Alain in the rooftop pool bar - he was willing to suggest new drinks, chat with us and answer our questions, or generally leave us be unless we needed a drink.

Location - We really liked the location of Royal Decameron. It was only about a 20-25 minute ride from the airport and within walking distance to Old San Jose (it took us about 20-30 minutes to walk, but you can also take a bus for $1). We visited both San Jose and San Lucas and we preferred the pace of San Jose. The vendors were more hands-off and less pushy than many in San Lucas. Additionally, within about 8 blocks of the hotel there is a small shopping center where you can shop, get gelato, or watch the World Cup. We also found, later in our stay, that had we walked along the beach toward San Lucas a way, we would have come across a surf shop and a beach calm enough for beginner surfers. We took the bus ($3 a person) to San Lucas and it was about a 40 minute ride, so if you go this route, wait for a green or purple bus, as they are air-conditioned. The white buses are not and are the same price.

Entertainment - We found there to be no shortage of entertainment, but also did not ever feel overwhelmed by the noise or activity level. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment - movie/song trivia, a Latin dance group, a rock band, karaoke, and a Latin rock band. We never felt pushed to participate and could just relax and enjoy the evening. We were also able to watch any World Cup game we wanted to, which was important to us. In fact, there was a quite a crew to watch the USA v. Portugal game, which made it more fun than watching alone!

Room - We were satisfied with our room. Prior to arriving, I e-mailed guest services with room requests. I was told it would depend on availability, so was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at 9:00pm and all my requests had been met. We found the beds to be firm, but had no trouble sleeping, as by the end of the day we were ready for bed. The rest of the room was sufficient for our needs - it was clean, there was a seating area, and a fridge/tv/hairdryer/iron/etc. The only thing we did not like is that we only received two bottles of water every day and as active people we generally drink more than that (especially when in the sun and drinking).

All in all, we had a great time and felt that the few cons were easily overlooked by the positive experience we had!

Room Tip: We loved Room 309. It had a king-bed and a balcony that overlooked the middle of the resort, so we w...
3 Thank Kristen H
On behalf of the Royal Decameron Los Cabos I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions. Thank you for choosing us to spend your time in los cabos.

We hope you will choose to visit us again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Do not stay at this hotel... it is not worth it. My boyfriend and i booked this on Groupon for 6 nights because it was an amazing deal. After the third day, i was robbed by one of their employees! he stole my cellphone and there were multiple witnesses. When I reported this to guest services, they talked to the employee and he denied it so they told me that he didnt do it!... i couldn't believe this.. i demanded to talk to a manager and finally after bringing up a witness he said he would write a report and the hotels insurance would reimburse me... In no way did they try and compensate or accommodate me in an apologetic way, i simply got a "im sorry i wish i could give you back your cell phone but i cant". Since i heard nothing from them the rest of my stay, i had to go and request some information myself before checking out and the manager gave me a business card to contact them regarding the status of my reimbursement. It has been over a MONTH and i have sent a few emails and have heard NOTHING! i cannot believe a hotel could be run this way.. You go and stay at a resort in a foreign country hoping that you can at least trust the employees of where you are resting your head at night and at this place you can be sure that is not the case!! Not worth the savings at all, go else where!!

8 Thank AmberAlyse
Riverside, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I read every single review on this website prior to booking this hotel, and seemed a little hesitant about my decision to book it for 5 days 4 nights. After all my research I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into. I went on this trip with a group of 6 other friends, and we were one of the younger groups (22-26). Checking in was easy, although the girl at the front desk scared me a bit when she said one of the rooms was only meant for 2 people when it should have been 3, but corrected herself shortly after. Rooms are very clean and simple. Shower door does double as the bathroom door, but it is opaque enough that you can't see anything unless you really wanted to. The grounds are so beautiful and well kept, with very modern decor mixed with old style architecture.

My group only ate at the buffet and the snack bar because we never got around to making reservations the a la carte restaurant, but we were extremely pleased with the food at the buffet. Like other reviews say, selection can be limited, and I can see how others would get tired after a week, but 4 nights was perfect and we were always left full.

Drinks were what we were very concerned with, being new college grads on vacation, and weren't too disappointed. They are somewhat watered down, but that's probably more of a safety precaution the way some people guzzle them down. We definitely had a GREAT time each night with the help of the drinks and nightly entertainment (the live rock band was awesome). Nothing top shelf, and Tecate light on tap, but it got the job done.

In terms of transportation, you can easily take the local buses that are constantly coming around for about $1, and it will take you downtown. For traveling to San Lucas, we took taxis, since it was a longer trip. We took a cab to Cabo San Lucas for $50 flat for 7 people, which seemed pretty reasonable. Always try to get the best deal.

Staff is always extremely helpful and very attentive during dinner. They are very appreciative of tips, which we were always happy to give. On our last day at the hotel, check out was at 12, but our flight wasn't until 5, but the staff in the lobby were very happy to keep our luggage until it was time for us to leave. This gave us time to do whatever we wanted before we left without our luggage to carry around.

Overall, the entire group had a great time, and were beyond pleased with our stay. Other reviewers complain about the most minute details, which they let dictate their feelings about the entire trip. You just need to realize you're in a beautiful location with friends and family, and should relax and focus on the good memories. Sure some things could be perfected, but this hotel has all of its priorities in line. People will always find something to complain about, but in my experience there was very little, and I walked away with nothing but good things to say about the Royal Decameron.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms have sliding doors that allow for easy access, especially near the pool, which is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Kyle C
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff are hardworking and try their best at the buffet. Rooms were clean. Hotel will charge for wifi and locker usage. No kids club. Will soon get tired of food and felt like dieting on just fruits only. On the plus ..it was not crowded and not much wait anywhere. Be careful when sending kids ( girls) for the scuba diving class offered at the pool by this stout guy named Miguel. He squeezed their buts while taking them underwater in the pool. And though you stand at the edge of the pool you cannot see what is happening . I wish my daughter had told earlier. Her cousin also complained the same after her lesson. Adult lessons are fine but keep your kids away.
Would recommend to stay away from snorkeling activities at chileta bay at San Lucas . The place is infested with jelly fish. So many of us and those from another ship were bit by jelly fish. Even the first aid people at the bay said that they have warned the caboray team and others that the waters are not safe for snorkeling ..but they keep bringing people. San Lucas is much cheaper to do shopping even at the marina. But San Jose was very expensive.
The ocean is rough and not safe at San Jose

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sajidatx
Newport Coast
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband found a 'deal' on a website for this hotel. As soon as we arrived I knew it was not going to work. First off I just want to say that the staff was fabulous. They did what they could to make us happy. But... I am sorry to say...
I felt like i was in a motel, it just didn't have the ambiance that i hoped it would. My husband complained about the drinks being watered down. I didn't care for the food and the bed was very hard and uncomfortable and the air conditioner was so loud I did not sleep. We spent the first night there and in the morning I immediately went online to find another place to stay. They also nickel and dimmed us with internet charges and such. We ended up at the Hilton which was night and day difference. I am sorry to say that I would not recommend Royal Decameron Los Cabos.

4 Thank tabbinesta
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a low-key bachelorette party in mid June 2014. I have been to a few all inclusive places before and I would say it was just okay. There is just the one restaurant and the one buffet. The food at the buffet was better than at the restaurant. We showed up 20 minutes late for our reservation and they would not seat us the one night at the restaurant. Lesson learned is to be on time, The one time we did eat at the restaurant, we all enjoyed out big glasses of wine and the appetizers at the restaurant, but all of the meat options were way over cooked. The drinks at the bar were pretty good. Go out early in the morning to get a spot by the pool if you want to be under the shade. There is not enough shade seating at the pool. The waves were too large when we went so they did not allow us to go in the ocean. The front desk staff was pretty nice to me. You had to pay extra to use a safe. It is much better to charge any of these incidental extras to a credit card than use the front desk to exchange currency. They took a big cut off of the actual exchange rate. They are very cheap when it comes to giving out water bottles or drinks for your room. You must go to the bar if you want a glass of water late night. You get two small water bottles per day. All and all it was a fine stay for 3 days. I do not think that I would want to stay longer than that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Royal Decameron Los Cabos? Share your experiences!