“Good value”

Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good value”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Nice property. Great entertainment stuff.
But:
Not the greatest for swimming in August - black flag for full week.
Waiters in buffet restaurant shows you they need tips.
Close to dolphinarium.

WiFi $10/ day- Starbucks across the street- buy coffee you will get code on receipt.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Matt111
guest_service153, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, 20 August 2014

We hope you will choose to visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I (he's 30, I'm 28) booked this vacation only in mid-July, so we just had a few weeks to plan what would later become one of - if not - THE BEST vacation/s we've ever taken.

I don't usually leave many reviews around the internet, unless it gets me something, and I promise I've received no incentives whatsoever from the Decameron for writing this review. It was just such a lovely, fun little resort, full of the nicest, silliest, and most entertaining staff members, that I really feel it's my personal duty to get as many people staying here as possible to keep them around for years to come.

First off, the resort was most recently known as Temptations, which I believe was an adults-only place. It's been known as Royal Decameron since October, 2013 when the site reopened after major renovations to make it the family-friendly resort it is today. That said, there were still only a handful of families there during our trip earlier this week (6 days, 5 nights; 8/9-8/14), so my husband and I never felt overwhelmed at all by the number of children present.

Decameron is extremely clean, and the decor is very modern and chic. Now, I'm no interior designer, but the reds, blacks, whites, and cool patterns were a hit with me. The lobby has an open floor plan, and though it isn't air-conditioned, there is a nice little lobby bar, with large flat-screen TVs and comfy lounging, to keep you entertained while you wait for your room to open, if you check in early like we did. (Sidenote: Africa, at the front desk, was a dream when we arrived! She tried her best to get our room opened early, and she did it! We got to our room at 1:30, though check-in doesn't actually begin until 3:00.)

The lobby bar, last Saturday, when we arrived, was run by Omar. What a great guy to have welcoming guests in! He WILL try to get you feeling mighty nice in that lobby! I'll have more on him later, but let me just say that if he's your bartender at any point during your stay, PLEASE TIP THAT MAN. He's such a sweetheart and was one of the many reasons why our stay was so awesome! (Omar, if your managers show you this review, La Reina with the big hair loves you!!!)

Our room, 309, was beautiful and located conveniently behind the lobby, on the same floor. We mentioned when we booked this trip that we would be celebrating our anniversary, and they had a nice bottle of champagne waiting for us! The room was very spacious (they all are) and quiet. FYI: The entertainment staff has shows outside in the center of the resort grounds (the Decameron is U-shaped, so imagine a stage and bar set up right in the middle. The lobby and our room are situated on the bend.) Any room close to the center of the U will be a bit noisier at night, until about 11:30PM, and for a while between 10AM and about 11:30AM when poolside activities are happening. But, who cares?! You're on vacation! If you wanted to snooze and have total peace and quiet, book a boutique hotel or stay home! Lol

The landscaping is beautiful! The grounds-keepers do an impeccable job every morning with the plants and flowers, so please obey the signs that instruct guests to not step on the grass! There are adorable little birds that are constantly flying around and they sometimes want to join you for breakfast or lunch on the open air patio of the buffet, but they won't actually bother you or your food.

Speaking of the food, I've read several reviews here by people complaining about it. Unless you're discussing perhaps, the Iberostars or Rius or Melias of the world, you're simply not going to find Michelin Star-quality cuisine at many all-inclusives. That said, the food at the buffet is delicious. It's fresh, and it's authentic Mexican food, not TexMex, not some American-born chef's take on Mexican food. No. It's real, GOOD Mexican food, and yes, it may be spicy. Personally, I eat jalapeños like they're candy, so this was no issue, though I could tell the cooks did try to tone it down a bit. There was never a set menu at the buffet. As far as I could tell, dishes were rotated daily. The bread selection is plentiful, although once, I did get a rather dry roll. Not really an issue. If they have their jalapeño and cheddar cornbread, try it! It's great!

Luna is the on-site reservation-only restaurant. They serve Mediterranean and Spanish cuisines. Reservations aren't as difficult to get as some people are saying. My husband went to the lobby to see if there were any seats for last Monday night, and we were able to eat that night at 7. The menu changes every three days at Luna. Again, we're not talking Wolfgang Puck standards, but the food was tasty, well-seasoned, nicely-portioned, and the chefs and waiters were friendly and attentive. If this was a paid restaurant, I'd be satisfied.

The Sea of Cortez, which is the body of water that Decameron is situated on, is absolutely stunning! However, it is NOT fit for swimming. The most you'll be able to do safely is stand on the shore and let the waves hit you at thigh length. Any higher than that, and you risk getting pulled in by the undercurrent. They're stronger than they may look at first glance. Do NOT take your children in the Sea at all. You might see some daring (read: stupid) individuals go pretty far out in the water, but don't be like them. Please be safe.

Locals sell hats, sunglasses, and beachside horseback rides along the shore. They are not pushy, and won't approach you unless you speak to them first.

If you walk about 30 minutes north of Decameron, along the shore, you will find the estuary of San Jose, which strangely enough, is freshwater, while the Sea is saltwater. My husband and I actually found it by accident. If you're walking along the shore, the sand creates a fairly large hill. Just walk over the hill, away from the shore, and you're there. There's ducks and an abundance of plants, with the mountains in the background. Very lovely spot for pictures, and you might even find the horses' owners taking them for a drink, like we did!

Now back to the Decameron: Whoever said some bartenders make weak drinks, must be more accustomed to daily glasses of 75-year-old scotches, because man! Alejandro, Omar, Eugenio (he's usually at the rooftop bar), and Adulfo were great bartenders! Alejandro is the goofball who loves to dance. Omar works at both the lobby AND entertainment area bar, and is a big flirt (never inappropriate, however)! He was the one who gave me the nickname La Reina (The Queen), and kept trying to give me lots of rum! Eugenio is very sweet, with a heavy hand! And Adulfo is quiet, but knows what he's doing! There is another guy, whose name I can't remember, that worked at the entertainment bar, that was SO MUCH FUN! Me and some girls around my age (ages 27-29) got the party started at that bar last Sunday night. There's a shot, called La Cucaracha (The Cockroach) that he set on fire! It was AWESOME! Just ask Alejandro to find the guy that sets drinks on fire, or ask Alejandro to do it himself. He knows how, too. The other guy set several of our shots on fire that night, and before we knew it, word got out around the resort, and the bar was packed with people wanting to try what we were having! Fantastic time!

The entertainment staff was incredible and very talented! There was a dance troupe that particular night, karaoke, and a classic rock cover band another night, that sounded great! Danny, the emcee, looks like a version of Bruno Mars! He's really cool and a lot of fun.

There is a disco at the Decameron, but it's usually only packed for karaoke, which is Saturday and Tuesday nights, I believe. Otherwise, you'll have to make your own party, which shouldn't be too hard, if you travel with a group, or just love talking to new people, like my husband and I. We made so many friends during our stay, staff and guests alike.

Everyone at the hotel was so incredibly friendly and happy! Even if the staff was faking it, you'd never know, because there was nothing but 1000 megawatt smiles all day, every day. We were both so sad to leave!

I really can't think of a single thing I didn't like at the Royal Decameron, which is why my husband and I plan on telling our friends about it, and coming back in the next 2 years!

To everyone at the Decameron: Africa, Lorena, Adrian, Omar, Alejandro, Eugenio, Adulfo, Danny, Jenny, Lupita, and anyone I'm forgetting, THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT VACATION!!!! (Love, "La Reina" con el pelo mas largo y hermoso, en rm. 309!)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank keykutney
On behalf of the Royal Decameron Los Cabos I would like to thank you for your comments. Thank you for choosing us to spend your time in los cabos. As well we would like to thank you for the suggestions you have given us in order to better our services.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I had an absolutely amazing time at this resort. The staff are so attentive and sweet! They were always looking out for what they could help us with from the moment we walked through the door. A bellboy named Cruz was especially helpful. When we arrived he took our bags, gave us a drink, and a cool towel for the heat. I loved the 6 bars and the food could use some work but I really can't complain. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a quieter more romantic alternative to San Lucas. Speaking of which you can take a bus from the hotel there for 3 dollars a person. After a long day in San Lucas you'll be glad to retreat back into the much cleaner and private San Jose

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sibia T

Montebello, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located about 25 miles away from Cabo San Lucas and closer to the airport in the quiet town of San Jose Del Cabo. It has a nice view of the beach although swimming is prohibited at all times due to the strong currents. The hotel is considered a bit smaller than the other hotels but what it lacks in size , they sure made it up with good service by the amazing staff and it immediately made a good impression from the day I checked in. The hotel looks cozy and perfect for couples and honeymooners. The room is always clean and nice interiors. The hotel provides nightly entertainment for the guests like karaoke nights , Latin nights and Couples nights. The wifi is decent at most but not free and additional charges apply. The food for the most part is not bad and they try to not repeat menus as much as they can for the 5 day stay I did but at some point some cuisines will be repeated. I always like the fresh fruits that they offer. Again, the staff are attentive to your needs. The hotel also has a spa and gym to burn the fats away from all the food and drinks you indulged :-).
I didn't rent a car and to go to Cabo San Lucas, I learned to ride the public transport and it's a $2 fare one way. Cabo San Lucas is definitely a party place where the Los Arcos can be seen and San Jose Del Cabo is very laid back and culturally inclined.
Overall, this hotel made a really good impression on my first stay in San Jose Del Cabo and for the price, it's definitely worth it and won't mind checking in here again knowing that the staff are eager to make sure your stay in Royal Decameron would leave a lasting memory and comforts while enjoying the sights and sounds of Los Cabos. A special shout out to the front desk staff specially to Roman who made sure this Pinoy was taken care of with exceptional service. Muchos Gracias!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Bryan B
guest_service153, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, 9 August 2014

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I can't believe the value we got for the price we paid at this resort. We used two Groupons to get two rooms for our family. As soon as we arrived the valet and bell hops were waiting at the door to help. Before we could even make it to the check in desk a waiter served us welcome drinks which we really needed because in August it was sweltering. Since we were early, the front desk told us we could enjoy lunch in the restaurant until our rooms were ready. By 3pm they had one room ready, the other one took a while longer. They were unable to get us rooms close together but they did give us one with an ocean view. I really appreciate the consideration. We are very likely to return to this resort because of this type of customer service. All of the employees are very courteous and professional. They work very hard. The crew can be seen maintaining the grounds every day. They paint, mow, hang new awnings and rake the zen gardens. The room wasn't as perfect as a Hilton would be - a few cracked floor and shower tiles but it was clean and housekeeping service was excellent. There are daily activities like yoga and water volleyball every day. Every night at 9:30 there is a live show. It's very much like a cruise ship. The Emcee for the show is very enthusiastic and good at getting the crowd involved. The food is good with a lot of variety. You can make a reservation for dinner at the second restaurant which is very upscale. All of the food and alcohol is included in your stay. My favorite part of the resort in the swim up bars at all the pools. I just wish the pools would stay open past 8 pm. They were very polite when they kicked us out of the pool. We loved it here and want to return. Special props to our favorite valet/bell hop Axel. Thanks for the wonderful service.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if you can. Quiet at night. During the day you can hear the soft music play...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LadyBug1122
guest_service153, Public Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, 8 August 2014

New york
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

First of all before I traveled to cabo I did my research and i found many horrible reviews for Decameron. I have no clue what past reviewers have been complaining about because Decameron is a great resort!

My husband and i traveled june 2014-August 2014 abd we stayed a week.

We loved everything about this resort! People were greAt and they offered a great service, they never said no to any of our requests and were so friendly.

Overall i had a great stay and would gladly go back!

Give Royal Decameron a chance! (Remember NO SWIMMING IN THE BEACH!)

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Maggiiemaggs

Denver
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked this hotel last minute thru Expedia from Denver. We got a very good deal for a 5 night trip. We were a little worried about the hotel based on some of the recent reviews. It turned out to be a great hotel with good food, service and entertainment. It is geared towards adults and I did not see many kids there. There is no kids club for them and not much for them to do. Most of the activities are for adults during the day.
We arrived late in the afternoon and were checked in very quickly. We had sent a note that we were celebrating our anniversary. They had a bottle of champagne for us in our room. We were on the 3rd floor towards the end and could see the ocean. The room was kind of small with a king bed, a couch, a table and a dresser with the TV and fridge. The bed was VERY hard. The bathroom has a glass door for the toilet/shower area. It is the same door for both. You can close it when you use the toilet and the show is open then you swing it the other way to close the shower. You can see through it when you are in the shower or using the toilet. It was fine for us as a couple but could be awkward for a family. Room was great.
The grounds and pools are nice. There are 3 pools. Two in the main area with a swim up bar between them and one upstairs in the adult area. We stayed in the main area. The pool upstairs was small and probably got very warm during the day. The ones below got warm and they were much bigger. We were always able to find a chair around the pool. There were only a few areas with shade. The main pool area has no shade at all. They should invest in some umbrellas for that area. We were down at the pool by 10 every day and always found shade but the hotel was probably only 40-50% full I would guess. Pools could use some maintenance but very clean. The activities staff did a great job. If you wanted to participate they had activities all day at the pool and evening entertainment in the main plaza area or the disco. They work very hard at keeping you entertained and do an excellent job.
If you are looking for a bar there are plenty- at least 3 open most of the time. There is a lobby bar, main plaza area bar, pool bar, upper pool bar, disco bar and restaurant bar. You could always get a drink. The wine was pretty good and you could get 2 beers on tap. The liquor is not top shelf but you could ask for some of the better brands and it was not a problem.
The food was very good. The buffet is set up for breakfast. There was always cooked to order eggs and they had either french toast and waffles or french toast and pancakes. There was always lots of fresh fruit and other side dishes that changed each day. Even though the buffet was small there were lots of good choices. For lunch you could do the buffet or the restaurant by the pool. The pool restaurant menu is a little limited but very good. For dinner it is the buffet or pool restaurant, which you have to make reservations for in the morning. Never had a problem getting a reservation. Menu is limited but very good.
I am not sure how people can give this hotel such bad ratings. Maybe you get back what you give to people or they are super picky. This is not a 5 star resort. In my opinion you get much more than what you pay for here. Nice resort, good food, good drinks and pleasant staff always willing to help.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jason P
guest_service153, Public Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, 6 August 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,380 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,249 reviews
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,646 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Los Cabos? Share your experiences!