“Amazing Luxury Resort, with minor hiccup”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Boston, MA
“Amazing Luxury Resort, with minor hiccup”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Myself and my husband just returned from enjoying one week at Cabo Azul. Beautiful luxury resort. I am a certified travel agent, which I did not mention upon check in so that I would receive the same treatment as all guests.
1. Upon exiting the taxi you are greeted with water and a refreshing hand towel after a long day of travel. Check in was perfect until, they have you "see concierge" while they prepare your room key etc. After traveling 7 hours, we wanted our key, a drink, and our villa, but they want you to set up a time and date to attend a timeshare presentation. After 30 minutes of haggling, we signed up. I don't normally attend presentations but wanted to give my clients a Full Picture of what they can expect! The presentation which they tell you is 90 minutes averaged 110 minutes. We were very stern and respectful in our position in letting them know we were not interested, yet they are persistent to say the least. You have your original guide that does the presentation, he then brings in a manager to supposedly "thank you for your time" yet he ends up wheeling and dealing, then they bring another man to "give you your gifts for attending" and he does the same thing the last 2 men did with another sales pitch and a different spin on it.
2. Arrival to our 2 bedroom partial ocean view villa was unparalleled to any accommodation we have ever stayed at before. The detail of the decor was amazing. Clean, up to date, and fully amended!
3. They offer 3 infinity pools as well as wade pools in other areas of the resort that are absolutely stunning. The pool chairs and lounges were like beds!
4. The Staff would not allow you to lift a finger as they lived up to the hotel motto "we always say yes"!
5. Wifi-$61.00 for 2 iPads for 7 days. We did not mind paying, but I do have an issue when the only place we could access wifi in the villa was in the living room and even then it was sporadic.
6. The property detail was a 5 star! Beautifully manicured grounds, evening lighting gave a romantic ambiance, fire torches, white draping and the cleanliness was outstanding.
7. Walking distance to downtown San Jose where there is excellent shopping, restaurants, bars, and Sunday football games! Thursday evening from 5-9 is the art walk. Great experience! Food, shopping, ambiance and of course Art - all in one.
8. Grocery store called the Mega was walking distance and they offer everything you need in your villa. Be careful of the timeshare hagglers INSIDE of the store asking if they can help you find anything. They have on white shirts with a ID card hanging round their necks.

Now knowing what I can expect in terms of service & ambiance, I would return and I would recommend Cabo Azul to my clients!

Room Tip: Request beach or pool view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I am delighted to read our staff was the highlight of your stay. We hope you had a safe return journey.
Seasons Greetings and warmest regards, Jean Louis and service ambassadors

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Escondido, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Cabo Azul is a beautiful property in a wonderful setting. I found the staff to be outstanding, even the grounds keepers were friendly. Pedro Morales at the Concierge Desk was quite friendly and helpful. Hugo at the bar made you feel like you were part of the neighborhood. My rooms were as large as my first house and comfortable as well. Food was good but the cost was out of line for the product, with the exception of breakfast pricing. I would have given this a five but for having to talk about timeshares before they’ll give you your key. The 10:00 AM check out for a resort is just wrong.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Don M
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
We are thrilled to read we exceeded your vacation expectations in full, still we are in the process of retraining all of our service ambassadors as this is a daily endeavor that ensure us satisfaction at its best. Cordially, Jean Louis and team members
Renton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Last minute booking to use up some points, and we were not disappointed. Had a great view, a great room, and great staff. And if you don't promote Abraham to the activities department you would be making a huge mistake. The only very slight negative is the restaurant pricing, but I understand they are working on that.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edwardstorton
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Our service ambassadors are honored with your visit.
We all look forward for your next year’s vacation with us again. Most cordially, Jean Louis and team members
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I just got back from the resort, spending a week there for a buddy's birthday.
PROPERTY
- beautiful grounds and architecture; the use of lighting and fire torches makes you feel like you are truly in paradise. Missing adequate railings for steps - clearly not an ADA Compliant property.
POOLS and CHAIRS
- The pools (3 of them) are warm and clean featuring three levels of infinity views and views of the ocean. Each pool has a wonderful hot tub. The chairs feature a wonderful soft terry cloth fitted cover on an 8" thick cushion that makes you feel like you are in bed. Each pool has queen size beds with canopies that provide a romantic and wonderfully relaxing setting.
- The pools need rails for entry into the pool...I saw several people almost fall while descending into the pool. While it may look great (no rails) they really need to get those installed.
ROOMS
- the rooms are decorated very nicely. The 2 bedroom suite in which we stayed was so comfy and the best so soft and plush. There was only 1 TV in the master bedroom - none in the second room. The only downside is the living room furniture and television. The furniture is not comfortable and the TV is small and from the early 2000's - let's get a flat screen guys. I did not feel like the rooms were 5 star because of the living room area....it feels like they spent big on everything else and shorted this room
- great kitchen amenities including granite countertops, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator and utensils.
- quiet rooms - could not hear neighbors but we did hear water running through the plumbing in the walls...not sure what that was about.
THE BEACH
- when we arrived, we headed to the pool. Then we noticed that nobody was using the wonderful lounge chairs and huts on the beach so we wandered out there and plopped down on a few lounge chairs. We sat there for 30 minutes are were bombarded by beach peddlers who were trying to sell us everything from bracelets to tattoos. The resorts along the coast use a rope to keep the beach vendors away from the guests, but they still come up to the rope and yell to you while you are trying to sleep/rest/read/talk,etc. The hotel security watches that rope and makes certain the beach vendors do not cross it, but they still yell and that is the 1 thing that really makes you remember you are in mexico and you will have no peace on the beach. ugh.
ON SITE DINING
- Javier's is a southern California favorite that has a restaurant on site at the property. Fantastic mexican food with a twist - meaning if you do not like mexican food, you will find something you like.
THE HOTEL SERVICE
- these guys get it. The service is impeccable and everyone at the resort goes out of their way to take care of you and make sure you are having fun. The only reason they get 4 stars instead of 5 from me is the heavy handed timeshare sales strategy. When we checked in, we could not get our key until we went to another counter and listened to the hotel concierge take us through a simple brochure of the resort property and then bomb us with activities we could take advantage of with a discount if we attend a seminar. I mean come on, I just flew in and really just want to get started on my vacation and you will not give me my key until I listen to 20 minutes of selling? Then, to make matters more irritating, they call you in your room every day until you tell them you are not interested in attending anything. It feels like Hawaii circa 2005. Barf. I was also accosted at the grocery store by a timeshare sales person who followed me around the store trying to help me and then he offered to pay for my groceries and a free breakfast if I just visited his resort. I asked him if I would have to listen to a presentation and he said no, they are just trying to spread the word about the nice resorts in mexico. Well that was a bunch of bull and I ended up going to the resort only to leave once i realized he lied to me about having to attend a presentation.
RIP OFF ALERT
- taxi cab from airport = $65 through the hotel
- taxi cab to airport from hotel - $25
- what kind of BS is that? I guess that is why they do not book return trips....they don't want you to find out they are completely ripping you off on your way in from the airport.
SUMMARY
- What an amazing resort - we will be back and armed with a solid NOT INTERESTED on any timeshare presentations. Avoid the beach (what a shame) and feel safe taking taxis anywhere you need to go ($5 downtown San Jose del Cabos)

Room Tip: High rooms with partial or full ocean view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sharon91302
Our staff is very happy to read that their service is so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence. With best personal regards, Jean Louis and team members
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have been to several of Cabos resorts so I have a lot to compare to. The best thing about this resort is that its design is unique. It should be the future of all of Cabo in regards to building a style uniquely Cabo. The resort is STUNNING, sexy yet elegant. This side of Cabo is more for people who want to relax and want to get away from the marina and the party, party atmosphere along with the vendors every few steps. It also has more wide open beach space. People need to understand most of Cbos beaches are NOT swimable. This resort is not unique in this. I have my secret spots or you can drive outside of resorts. My idea of Cabo.
The new lobby and sign out front are again, stunning.
The rooms are unparalled, i know...people swear by Palmilla but...for $500 dollars + a night...this is WAY better. You have a full kitchen and table outside where you can honestly enjoy romantic dinners on your patio. My boyfriend has been all over the world and even stated, this is one of the best he's ever seen. Also wants me to mention the comfort of bed and jacuzzi tub for 2 which is standard in ALL rooms.

The worst part- no FREE WiFi- Are you kidding??? What year is this? $300 dollars a night and they want to charge people for WiFi that's absurd and insulting. They need to fix this immediately.

This place is good for families, friends and especially for couples.

Room Tip: It honestly does NOT matter what hotel room you get They all look the same on the inside. I've b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ambitious_101
I am very pleased to learn that your stay was a special experience, just as you hoped it would be. With best personal regards, I remain. Jean Louis and team members
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

We are on our last night of a 3 night stay here at Cabo Azul. We stayed closer to CSL for the 1st 4 nights of out trip at Hacienda Encantada.

Cabo Azul is just simply amazing! From the lobby, to the rooms, food, beach, access to activities and downtown San Jose, all just perfect!

We had a 1 bedroom, first floor unit that was right next to the pool. Since we had 2 small kids (5 & 3), this made for very easy trips from the pool and back. They also have these pods out at the pool which really made it easy for families, especially if you have any that need naps.

The beach goes on for miles in front of the resort! We are visiting during a slow time, so I can't speak for busy times, but there were times we practically had the beach to ourselves.

The access to activities, food and the stores is also great from this resort. It's a $5 can ride into downtown San Jose (food and shopping options galore!). We walked to the swim with dolphins activity. Just walk out to the beach and there's people doing horse rides on the beach (we paid $40 for 2 horses).

We didn't have that high of expectations for the resort food, but we were pleasantly surprised. The onsite bakery has sandwiches, pizzas, tons of baked goods and gelato. We also ate at the poolside bar/ restaurant quite a few times and enjoys their food. Quite a few restaurant options directly across the street if you want other options but you don't want to go into downtown.

We can't wait out next trip back, love the area and the resort!

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Sabrina J
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
We are delighted that we made your stay in Cabo a memorable one.
All of us eagerly look forward to your next visit.
Cordially,
Jean-Louis and Team Members
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Cabo Azul is the most amazing place I have stayed. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They want you to have a great time there! The General Manager, Jean Louis, went out of his way to make us welcome at Cabo Azul. The Concierge, Leon, was wonderful. He got me a fantastic snorkeling tour to Cabo Polmu where I got to swim with a very large school of jacks and 4 sea lions. Abraham is a poolside attendant who is always on the lookout for your needs. His friendly and happy attitude is contagious. The surf at the beach there is not for swimming , but the beach is great for walking and there are numerous other beaches a short taxi ride away that are very good. It is a 20 minute walk to the town square which I highly recommend. It is safe to walk there at night and the restaurants, art galleries, and the friendly locals make it well worth the walk. You can also walk to the Mega store where you can but beer, wine and food at very reasonable prices. Because we were there during Thanksgiving, I bought a 17 pound turkey and cooked it in our 1-BR suite that looked over the very large pool area and beach.

The housekeeping staff was very efficient, cleaning daily (including fresh towels, linens, etc.) and coming by in the evening for turn-down service. Overall, this is a very quiet and relaxing place to spend your vacation time. La Forchette, across the street, and 2 restaurants downtown, Jasmine and Tropicana, are great places to eat that have reasonable prices.

If you are into art galleries, Benavente Gallery, run by two wonderful sisters, is a great place to visit. It is located about 2 blocks West of the old church. We took the local bus to Cabo San Lucas for a day of parasailing and touring the very busy and noisy "party town". It was fun for one day, but we were happy to get back to the tranquility of Cabo Azul.

The only downside is the expense. Not only was this the best place I have ever stayed, but the most expensive. I plan on coming back in 2 years, however, to relax and enjoy myself again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for your compliments.
We are thrilled to read your extraordinary experience with us.
Cordially,
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,953 reviews
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,538 reviews

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!