“Loved It!”

Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Richmond, CA
“Loved It!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Gorgeous resort! We went to Cabo to celebrate my sister's birthday and we had a fantastic time. The resort is immaculate and laid back. We stayed in the 3 bedroom penthouse and it was a pleasurable experience. The housekeeper was very attentive and consistent. Since we had a full kitchen, we went to the Mega store and bought groceries to cook for the week. This helped us cut down on costs and made it possible for us to do some other things.

The resort has enough pools for everyone. If you are an adult and you want to cupcake with your boo, there is a pool for you. If you have kids and you want to be in a space that is kid friendly, there is a pool for you too.

But, the bartenders Victor and Fabian (poolside bar) were sooooooo friendly and cool. The resort also has a beautiful fitness center. The rip tides were off the chain so we couldn't swim in the ocean. But, other than that, we loved our stay at Cabo Azul. I would go back. The views are just breathtaking. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

My only gripe is that the food and drinks were very expensive.

P.S. Get pesos!

1 Thank Shonda D
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
We love to share tailor made attention to detail as well as our sincere appreciation to all of our guests and exclusive vacation club members. Cordially, Jean-Louis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Cabo Azul exceeded our expectation. We are Monarch Grand Vacation timeshare owners for 15 years and last year decided to upgrade to Diamond Resorts International. We were not sure if we made the right decision but staying at this resort erased all our doubts and realized we made the right decision. We have not stayed at other Diamond resorts but after vacationing here we fell in love with the resort and I just knew we found a new favorite vacation spot (It used to be Hawaii).

We have stayed in numerous timeshare resorts in the US and this resort is by far the most luxurious. The rooms, hotel grounds and the pools are perfect for a relaxing vacation. Speaking of the pool, the staff makes sure everything is perfect. They replace the white lounge chair covers daily and I love the way they fold the pool towels in every lounge chairs. The staff draws different drawings by the beach sand every morning, something I never saw any beach resort we stayed at. Our housekeeper cleaned/serviced our villa daily and again at night (turned down service).

The town of San Jose Del Cabo is totally different from Cabo San Lucas. If you just want to unwind and relax, this is the resort for you but if you want to party and some water activities stay in Medano Beach, Cabo San Lucas. I knew this because we stayed at both town to experience both.

For the food and beverages, the prices are almost double compare to US if you eat at any of Los Cabos hotels/resorts. This is because Los Cabos is a prime vacation spot in Mexico and only few hours flight from California. The best way to save money is to utilize the full kitchen that most of timeshare resorts offer by buying groceries at Walmart, Costco or Mega Supermarket. If you don't want to cook because I understand you're on vacation get ready to spend some serious money and don't complain about it at the end.

I like the fact that Cabo Azul provides employee shuttles which takes them home on a daily basis which shows this resort cares about their employees and in return do their best job at maintaining the resort of it's highest standard.

Overall from what I saw and experienced, Cabo Azul is a 5 diamond resort. I am already planning our next Cabo Azul vacation next year!!! and oh, please enjoy my photos of this beautiful resort. To see is to believe and to experience it is breathtaking. You'll be sad to leave!!

Room Tip: View is important, but you don't go on vacation to stay in the room but to enjoy the beautiful p...
2 Thank lazvi01
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
With best personal regards, I remain. Jean-Louis and team members
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Not sure when these other reviews were written, but I am at the hotel right now and about to check out.... This is as fresh as it gets!
When my fiance decided to go to Cabo he asked me to choose a hotel. Since I have never been to Mexico, I decided to read carefully reviews of others before deciding. Cabo Azul came as one of the best rated hotels and was highly recommended by reviewers. I trust reviews and I believe that it is important to be truthful and give out an honest opinion of your experience.
Although weather wasn't very promising, I loved the grounds. Property seemed very clean and we have received a warm welcome (plus booklet with time-share info). The concierge has tried to convince me to go and talk to her regarding a purchase which I politely refused. Our room view was a disaster...It overlooked a yard with a truck parked in it. Seriously?!? My fiance requested another room but none was available....After speaking to Ronaldo and the manager, we received ground floor room (facing the Flor de Noche restaurant by the pool), viewing of a wall. But at least more sunlight.
Prices overly high: $10 per bottle of water (being taken advantage of, without any surrounding areas to buy water at is unacceptable, but ok. $10 USD it is). They have two restaurants with Mexican cuisine only. Flor de Noche and Javier's. I love occassional enchiladas, but having beans and rice every day is a bit too much for me. Not much of choice as far as food goes. This goes for breakfast also and menu NEVER changes. *(Perhaps I'm spoiled from San Francisco, but paying $300/dinner which has chimichanga, tacos and two margarita is a bit too much. It is not Bottega in Yountsville, nor it is Gary Danko)

The rude front desk staff (accept Anna) just sealed the package for us. After spending more than $3,000 for 4 days, we were denied later check out and front desk clerk told us we will be charged additional $50 for each hour past 10am. My boyfriend asked her..."Is this Ritz Carlton"" She did not get the joke and asked "What is that?" Lol.
Manager finally offered check out at 11am. And asked my fiance: "Are you alway this sour?".

I do give these 3 stars to the pool, houseeping and wait staff. They were woking hard and trying to accommodate us any way they could. Ronaldo is bell boy- great guy and helped us immensely! If you ever come to this property, look out Manuel and Francisco...Just awesome guys and made us laugh on numerous ccassions. No falsehood but genuine people. However, I cannot say that about most of the leading people in the hotel. I did not feel much welcomed and it semed my business was not desired here. Well, I will make sure to go to One & Only Palmilla next time. The views, room and service is immaculate and for the same price!!

I am not stating this place is bad, but be careful and choose wisely when booking it. Unless you are ready to purchase time-share, I do not recommend.

Love & Light! <3

Room Tip: Make sure to book through their website to get the best room. Otherwise you will get a view of a par...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank traveler3379
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We appreciate your comments very much and for sure we’ll change your perception for good on your next visit. Please accept our apologies as we did not had more ocean view suits to offer to you. Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members.
Davis, California
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Long time Diamond time share owners but first time to Cabo Azul. By far the nicest and most elegant of the Diamond resorts that we have experienced. The customer service was right on point. The pools, food and drinks are all just splendid. The entire family had a wonderful time and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you catch tuna on a fishing excursion ask them to prepare the sashimi - it was amazing!
3 Thank Craig H
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I am delighted to read our staff was the highlight of your stay. We hope you had a safe return journey. Warmest regards, Jean-Louis and service ambassadors
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I desperately needed a week’s get away. A fun, relaxing , romantic trip where we could unwind and enjoy. Wow! Does Cabo Azul ever deliver. Clean , perfect, beautiful grounds, exceptional staff, friendly, safe, and a true slice of paradise. Diamond Resorts has hit a home run with this spot. The spa is to die for!

Room Tip: Go the the spa and spend some time and money. This place is not cheap but it is sooooo worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bill B
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TA following your recent stay in Cabo Azul. We are delighted to read your great review post your stay with us. Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been coming to this property before it was popular and before the expansion was done. With that said, in my most recent trip I brought along 6 other people whom stayed in the hotel as well. This trip was a HUGE disappointment to the point where I am not sure if I will ever come back and on the verge of making sure everyone knows my disappointment with Cabo Azul.

We got the 2 bedroom suite, partial ocean view and paid a premium rate of 700 dollars plus per night. We stayed for 8 days. When you are paying close to 1000 dollars per night after food and beverages, I would expect a few things to NEVER happen. One, after we went grocery shopping and filled up our entire fridge we came back to the room hours later and the fridge was not working. Someone came to the room said they fixed it and left. Hours later again we noticed it was still not working and our food was no good at this point. The fridge had to be replaced. Second, the Safe stopped working and we had to wait for hours to finally get our money and other items out. Third, the air-conditioning unit was leaking from the ceiling unbeknownst to us. We had our Apple laptop computer sitting under it and our computer is now dead, no longer works and we could not handle any business related items we needed to take care of on this trip. They called and said someone would fix the leak in the AC, which never happened. We were also told that someone (IT) would come the next day to look at our computer, which never happened either. The air-conditioning leak ruined our laptop and consequentely we had to purchase another Lap top because of this. Lastly, our 16 year old son and my husband both got some sort of stomach virus during there stay. I cannot point fingers on fault here but what I was disappointed in was the lack of comfort leaving our room. Our son specifically, could not even leave the room for the last 3 days. Therefore, I asked for a late check out because our flight was not until 4PM. They said they could do 11am. I asked if they could do 12PM but they said “no" but could do 11:30am. There was not hospitality suite available of course. Once our stay was over it was almost like a “get out” attitude and could care less that we had someone who could barely get out of bed due to a stomach illness. I understand the importance for you to clean the rooms however we were only asking for an extra half and hour. With all due respect, is thirty minutes going to make our break your check in time considering check in is not even until 4PM. To be honest this would probably not have been as big of a deal if it were not coupled with everything else that happened. These were my main issues with our stay but aside from these issues, our room was extremely noisy as it was situated under your service pass way and next to a generator unit of some sort. Additionally, our “partial ocean view”, not so much. This is better left as a none view room or at least not advertised to pay a premium rate for such a view of your neighboring wall and small peep hole of a view of blue water.

Needless to say, I am utterly disappointed. I would expect these kind of situations to happen if you are staying at the Holiday Inn and paying one hundred dollars per night but not when you are paying close to one thousand dollars per night. These are not 5 star situations our 5 star outcomes. Being a Vice President of a company myself I would want to make sure my clients are satisfied. Clearly in this case our stay was a FAIL. I think I am also upset because we paid a premium rate and did not receive a premium stay which is discouraging to stay at this property in the future.

PS...I wrote an email to Cabo Azul and received a big fat middle finger as they could care less and stated my claims were false. I will never go back to this property again. For the price there are way nicer and more convenient hotels in the area. For example, The One and Only Palmilla, The Esperanza and more.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a Partial Ocean view, it is not worth the money! You get more like a peep hole and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
19 Thank Theresa L
Diamond R, Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
It is truly disheartening to hear that your stay was anything less than a 5-Diamond experience. Anytime something out of the norm happens; such as what occurred with your computer due to the condensation caused by the A/C unit and Mother Nature, the hotel tries to the best of our ability to accommodate our guests. It is clear based on your review, the efforts were not enough and this experience led to a disappointing stay and you contacting our Office of the Chairman. Our private and detailed conversations with you were certainly a huge help in obtaining additional information so that we could review your reservation and the concerns you’ve shared. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to regain your faith in our resort through our diligent efforts.
Murrieta
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at cabo azul for 4 days. The resort is beautiful. The pools, gym, grounds and lobby are well cared for and in great shape. The service (for the most part) is top notch. Housekeeping is spot on, friendly and attentive. There isn't an employee anywhere that doesn't say hello, good morning or good evening. What does lack in this resort is value. The food and drink are expensive and although everything tastes great and service is top notch, the drinks and food are skimpy. Not skimpy from a fat american point of view that I need 40 lbs of food on my plate....skimpy from a "not even a full ounce of premium tequilla" in a margarita. The bartenders at the pool bar pour such weak drinks (right in front of you) that you can clearly see they don't fill the measure let alone over-pour by even a drop. We couldnt tell our virgin drink from the full booze drink and a skinny margarita tasted like club soda and lime. Its obvious the employees have strict standards to manage their output but its chincy to say the least. Then, if you aren't paying attention, you will leave a tip on top of what is already included in your bill and the bartenders say nothing. I can't say we weren't warned because everyone we spoke to before we went said the same thing including a handy phrase from one visitor "watch your tipping because they are double dipping". Beautiful place, great service, over-priced food and drink. If I could attach a video of the bartender making our drinks, you would see I am not exaggerating in the slightest. I would stay here again, it really is that great overall but I would bring my own booze the next time otherwise order beer. See

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank socalana
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I am very pleased to learn that your stay was a special experience, just as you hoped it would be. We have shared your suggestions with our F&B concessionaire.
With best personal regards, I remain. Jean-Louis and team members
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!