“Already looking for another deal to come back”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Diego, California
“Already looking for another deal to come back”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My husband and I came to the resort for a wedding anniversary. We organized a shuttle from the airport to the resort for $22. We were told to go directly outside the airport and our driver would be waiting for us. After clearing customs and attempting to get outside we were told by several men that we HAD to check in with them and that they would contact our driver and that it would be free (the hotel would pay for it). It ended up being another attempt to get you to go to a time share presentation at another resort during our stay and you would be given all kinds of free gifts. I told them "no" and walked away. All the while I had other men trying to stop me and tell me I had to check in with them. As soon as we walked outside... there was our driver, waiting for us just like the resort said he would be. We shared a shuttle with a few other couples. We were the first stop and it took about 15 minutes. I heard other couples who also took shuttles talking about how their drivers offered to stop at a liquor store on the way to the resort. It was funny to see people getting out of their shuttle like it was a party bus. They were lubed and ready to go!

We got to the resort around 2pm and our room wasn't ready yet. We walked the 15 minute walk over to the mega store and bought our fair share of alcohol and tons of snacks and water to last us the next 4 nights. There were taxis outside the store and it cost $5 back to the hotel with all our booty. By the time we got back to the hotel, our room was ready. We had to sit a few minutes with the concierge and they let us know that the hotel was under two years old and they have run out of money and wont be able to finish the Lobby until they find the funds. And after they get the money it will take an additional 11 months to finish. The lobby is in converted rooms and are still very nice. The concierge also offered us a complimentary breakfast for the next morning. We accepted and then they told us it was a 90 commitment. That's how they roped us into the presentation. We did it any way just because we were curious and they offered us $150 resort credit and a 10% discount card. We had to sit and eat breakfast with a stranger and make small talk while he started into his presentation on the resort. It was actually very interesting and they show you their "model" rooms that of course have the best views of the whole resort. Anyway, typical timeshare presentation.

We got a great deal through Travelzoo. When we checked in they upgraded us to a two bedroom villa. It was just the two of us so we really didn't need two rooms but it was still nice. Our view was horrible. It was of the tile roof above the gym. If you stood on the railing you could see a bit of the ocean. I'd suggest if you also got this travelzoo deal and don't really need the two bedroom, ask which room has the better view. The garden view would have been better than the one we had.

The villas are truly awesome. Very clean and spacious. The beds were incredibly comfortable. The sliding glass door open the length of the villa giving you that open outdoor feeling. Our priority, once settled in seemed to be getting a cocktail in us before the pool adventure. I took the ice bucket and went in search of ice. After 10 min of looking in vain I finally found someone who worked there and he told me that they didn't have ice machines. "But you have ice buckets!" I told him. He looked at me like he hears this 10 times a day. He said you can go get some from the bar or call room service and for $3 they would bring you some. I ordered some from room service and was peeved that I was going to have to pay for ice everyday but we were brought a huge monster bag that lasted us the whole week. So I was very happy. The kitchens are also very nice and they only thing I was wishing for was larger better cutting boards and cutting knives. All we had was regular silverware so cutting anything harder than butter was a challenge. (not complaining.... just nit picking) One thing we wished we would have brought or bought ourselves was big plastic cups to take our drinks in down to the pool. But the swim up bar makes it way too easy to constantly have a drink in your hand.

The gym was very nice and had the standard equipment. We attempted to go running on the beach barefoot. That wasn't possible because the sand was too coarse for me. We tried to go on what we hoped would be a romantic walk down the beach and that wasn't possible either. The sand is just to hot during the day (duhh) and way to painful. (I don't think most people have as sensitive as we do. Try it though because the stretch of beach in front of the resort is beautiful.

The pool was amazing. It will truly spoil any other pool experiences you may have this year. You wont find any of those cheap plastic lounge chairs here. They all had nice terry cloth covers over soft cushions on them and there seemed to be an umbrella every few chair so shade was never an issue. We noticed that people got up pretty early to stake their claim to the best located chairs. We got to the resort on a Sunday and out to the pool at almost 4pm and just about every lounge was occupied. Mon-Wed there were plenty of chairs available all day long. There is always someone walking around asking if you need anything. I highly recommend the carne asada nachos and the fish tacos while bellied up to the swim up bar.

They have weekly events. There was a beach party one night that we went to and had a blast. It was around $40 per person for all you could eat and drink. EXCELENT!!!!!!

This was such a great resort. I was in tears having to leave. 4 nights wasn't enough. I'm already trying to find friends to come back with us in a few months.

I thought it was strange that they didn't have a shuttle service to take you back to the airport. they'll call you taxi and it was a flat fare of $35.

Go to Cabo Azul and relax in luxury!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank martinridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The resort design, pool and rooms were wonderful, with the exception of two things. On arrival at 4:30 pm our room was not ready? We waited for another half hour after a long trip this was the last thing we wanted to do. The resort gave us a 10% off card to use at their restaurant, but felt that was given to us for agreeing to attend a timeshare presentation, not to make up for this lapse of service. Also, checkout time at this hotel is the earliest I have ever encountered, my request for late checkout was actually denied. I was only asking to checkout at noon instead of 10 am as it was more convenient to our flight departure. We had also just become an owner there, which the staff should have been aware of if they were looking at the room account when I called. I have never beendenied later check out at any cheap hotel much less a hotel of this calibur, and was especially offended becuse I had just agreed to drop several thousand dollars on a timeshare. Small slights of this nature color the whole experience and this was the last service request After a five day stay. Bad move. The excuse given was lame... That someone was booked tocheck into the room, well yeah, I would have assumed that, but their check in time is 3 so they need the full five hours to prepare the room. ? Lame, especially since our room was not available when we checked in and that was 1.5 hous after their official check in time.
Timeshare sales should be avoided, do a lot of research beforehand if you even are thinking about attending. they will not let you leave the room to think about it, because if you did you would find out that they are charging about 90% more than what can be had on the secondary market. After signing the purchase contract, I only had to spend five minutes online to figure out we had really overpaid. We excercised the seven day cancellation right immediately. The timeshare presentation was a huge waste of time and energy and took about a day out of our vacation. my advice would be to get up after 90
minutes, whether they are finished or no with their hard sell, and say that was all the time you agreed to listen, and then you are eligible for whatever they promised. Word to the wise, in doing research on the monarch points system that this resort timeshare is on, if you pay more than $10-$15 a point, you are paying too much. We were offered a signed a contract for $ 90.00 a point. These points are available on Ebay and tons of timeshare resale websites. So ridicous that they made me suspicious by not letting us leave the room.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anialf
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 June 2010

My roommate and I booked a trip to the Cabo Azul Resort. We had an airport shuttle provided by the resort pick us up with very clear instructions on avoiding the unscrupulous time share and taxi people in the airport. It was a 15 minute drive to the resort ($11 per person - charged to room).

Check in was easy. Our concierge, Leo was friendly and helpful the entire trip. We were offered a $200 resort credit, 10% discount card, free lunch, and VIP card for cheaper rates on excursions to do the time share presentation the next day. Our room (while not the best view) was BEAUTIFUL, clean, with unique and beautiful decor. Yes the bathrooms are dark... but really... who cares?

The time share presentation was painless.... (but if you really are interested in buying make sure you hear all your options as the price can go WAY down with lots of perks for buying). The pools were pristine. The beaches were beautiful (no-swim beach due to rip tides). The bars and restaurants are very expensive. But with the resort credit we received... the price was negligible.

The staff was unbelievably friendly. We loved Rene in events! The beach party on Monday was our favorite event. Wish they had more activities.... as the ones we attended were a blast.

The resort was not crowded at all. Mostly couples and families. Very few singles. Nobody rowdy...

We went into San Jose's down town ($5 cab drive). We toured the town, bought some jewelry, went to a few of the restaurants. We felt very safe. The town wraps up around 10pm. If you want more of a party scene you'll need to drive to downtown Cabo.

We did not need pesos the entire trip. Dollars were accepted everywhere.
We were never double charged on our checkout for anything as some people have experienced. The staff was nothing by helpful, friendly, and fun.

A 10am checkout could not be set back as our room was already booked, but we stowed our luggage at the bell desk. $23 cab ride back to the airport.

I would suggest this place to anyone and everyone. A wonderful vacation!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank LisaLisaMarie2010
Malibu, California
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I am writing with extreme disappointment regarding my stay at Cabo Azul Resort and Spa. My wife and I booked our honeymoon two months previous for the dates of September 17th – 22nd. We had many resorts to choose from and by the pictures we saw online, Cabo Azul was by far the best.

When we arrived we were escorted to the side of the complex to a room that was converted into the front desk and concierge. At this time we became a little worried. Our fears increased when we were handed a piece of paper informing us that the resort was under construction! This is the first piece of information we had received regarding the impending construction. The concierge casually informed us that there would be light construction adjacent to the facilities and that the workers would end by 5:00 pm. He also tried to encourage us by saying that all construction would be done as quietly as possible.

We were then escorted to our room by a bell man who gave us a tour of the facility. This is when the nightmare became a reality. We could hardly hear the description of the facilities over the jack hammering that was going on. You see things like this as spoofs in commercials, but you never think it’s going to happen to you. May I remind you that this is our honeymoon!

The jack hammering persisted the rest of the day until 6:30 pm (not the 5:00 pm end time that was promised). The jack hammering promptly commenced at 9:00 am the next morning and did not let up all day until they finished the day at 6:30 pm. This same pattern continued all day Friday and most of the day Saturday until the noise finally ceased at 2:30 pm on Saturday afternoon. This is unacceptable.

After complaining multiple times to the manager on duty he informed me that there was nothing that he could do from his end because decisions regarding issues like these were made by management in the United States. He also informed me that I should have received notification of this construction at the time the reservation was made.

In my life, I only plan on having one honeymoon, one chance to start our marriage off right. My wife and I had many resorts to choose from both in Mexico and in other countries around the world. Do you really think that I would knowingly book my honeymoon at a resort “under construction?” No. We would not. Upon arrival, was the first time we were informed that Cabo Azul chose the “off season” to begin construction. We were not given the same consideration to decide whether we wanted to spend our one honeymoon and precious vacation time in a construction zone.

I have asked for a refund or at least redeem our stay by crediting us another five night stay in room 2407 during a season of our choosing where there will be no construction.
I have received no response.

Do yourself a favor. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MPCMike
CLD_lka, Director of Sales at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
Thank you for your candid review of Cabo Azul Resort. During September of 2008, Cabo Azul Resort had a neighbor on adjacent property that was undergoing construction. Although it was disruptive to all of our guests, the circumstances were unforeseen and beyond our control. Since October of 2008, the construction of that property has been complete and thankfully no longer interferes with our positive guest experiences.

At Cabo Azul Resort, we are very aware of how important weddings and honeymoons are to a new family, and we sorry that your honeymoon with us was not positive.
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Cabo Azul is a beautiful property in San Jose Del Cabo. They are currently renovating their lobby, but you do not notice the construction area once you get into the hotel. I would recommend building 1 or 2 since you are closest to the water and have a better view. Each room is large and equipped with a full kitchen, dining area, patio, sitting area, bathroom, and bedroom. Since they are also timeshare units, each room is comfortable and well thought out. When travelling to Cabo, you might be concerned with safety or the rowdiness of the crowd at the hotel, but this was not even an issue at the Cabo Azul. They do a great job keeping a peaceful vibe where you can relax and party at the same time. Cabo Azul has an amazing 3 tier pool with enough lounge chairs and beds for you to soak up the sun. We would have been on the beach more, but the riptides make the water very intimidating. The food is delicious and we loved the tacos! The spa and gym facilities were extremely stylish and great experiences. The massage was one of the best and we loved the design of the spa. Overall, we had a great time and would recommend this resort to any traveler who is looking for the perfect mix of Mexico.

-If you decide to do the timeshare presentation for the coupons and perks, pick the spa gift certificate since they make it hard to use the food/drink coupons.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JOSH-SARAH
REDONDO BEACH
Reviewed 16 June 2010

The customer service is not so great, with the exception of a few really nice people at the reception desk. Edurado is a first class man and whiling to help you out at anytime. And make sure to double check your charges.A lot of double charging especially when you have been drinking all day at the pool.
Cabo Azul is beautiful without a doubt.. But just a few things..... The lighting in the bedrooms and bathrooms is really bad, if your trying to get ready for a night out on the town ladies, good luck trying to put your make up on. And there's no full length mirror to check out your cute outfit either.... I know your laughing about these simple issue's, but that's o.k
Food is GREAT at the Azul, and the grounds are BEAUTIFUL and very clean. Location is perfect near downtown San Jose Del Cabo.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My wife and I planned our trip for 5 nights in Cabo, but could not book our entire trip at our first hotel choice, so we had to spend our final night elsewhere. After some research I chose the Cabo Azul for the one night.

When we arrived, I was initially concerned with the construction, but that proved to be a non-issue. The valet and bell captain were great. Despite arriving several hours before the check-in time, our room was "almost" ready. However, this gave the timeshare guys just enough time to entice us into agreeing to attend a presentation. For attending the "presentation", we got drinks and lunch at the pool and dinner and breakfast at Javiers. The pool service was good, but not great. The food and wine at Javiers were very good. I'm still not sure it was a good exchange as the timeshare guys really did annoy us during their sales pitch.

One nice tip was at the on-site store you could buy two beers and a lime for $1.85 USD which was a terrific bargain compared to the high prices at the pool.

We had a one bedroom villa and it really was very nice. Great balcony with table for four, jacuzzi, full kitchen and housewares, really nice space and layout. Lights in the bathroom could be a little brighter.

Unfortunately, we were not there long enough to use the fitness center, but we took a look and the amount of equipment seemed to rival some gyms. Plenty of machines, free weights, dance studio, tvs on every treadmill, almost anything you would ever need at a gym.

Check-out at 10am was very early, but they said they would provide a hospitality room if we wanted to use the pool. Since we were headed to the airport anyways, we just decided to leave on-time.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!