“FOUR STARS WELL DESERVED!”

The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos for one glorious week. We were offered a 2 br instead of a 1 br (because it is their slow season) but unfortunately we could not find anyone to join us. So instead we were given a $300 resort credit.

When we arrived at the airport, after going thru customs, the Timeshare people are in FULL ATTACK mode. The Concierge at the Grand Mayan had arranged airport transportation for us to get to the resort, but they were meeting us outside of the airport, and in order to get outside, you had to walk thru that horrible room of all these hawkers yelling at you repeatedly to get you to do a timeshare presentation at their resort. That was absolutely horrible but finally we made it to the outside where we were meeting our contact.

The check in process at the GM is very pleasurable. You are seated at the check-in counter (which is much lower than most check-in counters) and it gives you a real feeling of personalization. Our check-in person (Alejandro) was very excited because my husband's name is Dennis Rodman so he thought the actual Dennis Rodman was arriving! We got a laugh out of that! We were given small bottles of water but they were warm and not cold so that is about my only complaint.

Once we were all checked in, we were given the keys to our kingdom which was on the 6th floor (top floor) and towards the center, which gave us superb views. The kitchen is the first thing you see when you walk in. Very lovely and spotless. There is a counter top with 3 tall chairs at it, and a dining room table with 4 chairs. The living room has 2 very comfy sofas that pull out into trundle beds which would probably make 2 more double or queen sized beds (we didn't pull them out to know how big they were but they were very comfy). There is a large TV in the living room and the ceilings are 12' high and there is a ceiling fan. The living room opens out onto the balcony where there are 2 lounge chairs and a beautiful wading pool. The balcony gives great views of the 2 big pools below and excellent sunrises over the water (which happens to be the Gulf of California, not the Pacific Ocean, but still very nice).

To the left of the dining room is the door that takes you into the master bedroom which is HUGE! There is a very large kingsized bed beautifully made up with colorful pillows and 2 bathrobes for use during our stay. There's also a sitting area with a smaller sofa (a little larger than a loveseat size) and 2 chairs and a table. Floor to ceiling windows (also like in the living room) and a size door that opens to the balcony where the wading pool is.

There is a large flat screened TV in the bedroom on the dresser and a large closet with 12' ceilings, and a ceiling fan and also a huge bathtub (jacuzzi size but I don't think it has jets). Then from the bedroom you can go into the bathroom which is also huge. There is a double sink (and a separate single sink outside of the bathroom), a huge shower stall and a separate toilet closet - these both have glass swinging doors which makes the bathroom feel much larger than it is. I absolutely loved the bathroom - it is bright and has a huge wall-mirror and a full sized mirror on the back of one of the doors, and also a wall mounted close-up mirror. There are very large towels, although they are not very soft but they are very absorbent. There is also a clothes line in the shower stall as they do not like you hanging clothes on the balcony.

When all the lights are off for sleeping, if you are like me and have to make trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it would be nice to have a nightlight in the bathroom so if you are reading this and preparing to go to this location, pack a small night light (I wish we had done that). It will come in very handy to keep you from having to turn all the lights on and also will keep you from walking into the shower stall by mistake.

The bed is very firm and very comfortable. We put the ceiling fan on the one before the highest setting and kept it on all the time and it made for very comfortable sleeping. At night the beds were turned down with the top blanket pulled to the bottom of the bed and the decorative pillows put aside and little chocolates left on my side of the bed (how'd she know I love chocolates?)! Also there is a safe in the 2nd closet which we used daily cause you really didn't need to carry your wallet or any money while at the resort. Make sure to leave a tip for your housekeeper.... they work very hard and are very polite and thorough.

Everybody in the resort is very friendly, kind and helpful. We ate at the snack bar a few times during the week - the SHRIMP TACOS are TO DIE FOR! Very delish! They have a special (I think it's a few times during the week) of 2 fish or shrimp tacos for 99 pesos. The full sized order is 3 tacos for 150 pesos. There is happy hour at the pool everyday from 12-1, 4-5 and I think also from 6-7. There are snack bar waiters that will bring you whatever you want from the snack bar to your lounge chairs or lounge beds, which there are many of surrounding the pool area.

Remember that for any dining anywhere (room service, snack bar or Il Fornio Italian Restaurant), the TIP is already included in the bill. You can always add more for superb service.

There was a restaurant at the resort that had breakfast every day but we never ate there so I can't give you any reviews of it. I believe they served breakfast until noon which is nice for those who like to sleep in. I did order room service french toast one day and it was quite nice although I did ask for maple syrup 3 times when giving the order on the phone, but it was delivered with no maple syrup so I had to wait for her to go back and get the maple syrup which was a minor irritation ... but it was very good!

We did take a taxi to Il Fornio Italian Restaurant (an off-site Grand Mayan restaurant). There was a pizza night where there was 2 for 1 but I ordered the Pomodoro which I happen to love. I realized too late that it was just a basic spaghetti with tomato sauce. Hubby had 2 pizzas which both looked great but they were not pizzas I ate (he actually got an anchovy pizza and the other one was veggie I think) but they did look great. The restaurant, when we got there, was totally empty. Although to be fair, we got there around 6 and by time we were leaving, there were many tables full.

We mostly ate dinner at the resort. They had an Asian night - I got shrimp fried rice which was very good and my hubby got shrimp stir fry which he said was also good. We also did the Fiesta which was on Wednesday night. It comes out to about $40 per person which includes food, drink, dessert, entertainment and gratuity. The show was not as good as the Fiesta we saw at the Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta about 6 or 7 years ago. But it was good. The drinks are of course watered down - I had 2 pineapple and coconut coladas which tasted good but were not very alcoholic. The food is served buffet style and I think there was a taco bar making fresh tacos too. The tables seat 10 people so if you have a large group with you, arrive early so you can all sit together. (This group of 6 arrived very late and were forced to sit at 2 different tables.)

I also did a horseback riding on the beach which was arranged by the Concierge (and also charged to the room - $35 for one, $55 for two). They will pick you up in a van and take you to where the horses are kept and return you by van to the resort. The horses are small but sturdy. I thought we would be walking on the beach in front of our resort but my guide took me the opposite way down to a marsh area which was quite nice. He signaled my horse to gallop a few times but I had to ask him "no mas por favor" cause it was only my 2nd time on a horse ever and it was not what I had in mind. Mostly it's just a gentle walk which is very nice and relaxing.

I also visited the Brio Spa and had a FABULOUS 50 minute Swedish massage. I cannot recall my therapist's name but she was very very comforting and kind and spoke in a relaxing tone. She was very thorough and seemed to really enjoy what she does. (As an aside the last time I had a massage at a Mayan Palace resort was in Acapulco and the massage therapist used her cell phone to text while she was giving me my massage!!! I called for the manager to complain but he never called me back during my entire stay which was very disappointing.) So to have this massage where my therapist was not only fully engaged, but also very good and thorough, was very very enjoyable. I left her a 240 peso tip ($20US). There is a hot tub and steam room in the spa, tons of towels, a full mirror for reapplying makeup or fixing hair, and delicious cucumber water for refreshment.

Oh and as I read in other Trip Advisor reviews, there is a Mega Store walking distance from the resort where you can get provisions. I also took a taxi ($5 each way) to WalMart where they also had some souvenirs.

And we walked to a neighborhood restaurant and dined our final night and the food was very very good. They gave us complimentary drinks (a beer and a margarita) for dining there. They were very friendly but they don't have much else to drink (besides bottled water). I got the spinach ravioli and it was very very good.

There is also a Cactus Museum nearby which costs $3US per person. My husband loves cacti so he went thru it and really enjoyed it.

RE SECURITY: There was not a gated entrance like at other Mayan Palace resorts.... but we didn't feel unsafe at any time. I asked about security and was told they are undercover mostly so you don't really see them but they are there.

Overall a full week of pampering and being spoiled and taken care of will totally change your disposition in a very positive way. We gave the resort a 4-star rating.

Oh and by the way, they are very pushy just to get you to sign up to do the timeshare presentation. We chose NOT to do it on this visit since we upgraded to Bliss 2 years ago. (All they are selling is Grand Luxxe, Bliss or Grand Mayan so if you already have any of those, all they will do is try to sell you MORE time. If you are not financially able to buy, just don't do the presentation. It's really not worth the 10% off your final bill.) The lady who tries to book the timeshare presentation (Barbara I think) was EXTREMELY PUSHY and despite all our No Thank Yous, she continued to try to encourage us to do the presentation (which you know is NOT just 90 minutes or whatever time they say it is) and she even called the room one day leaving a message for us to call to reserve our time for the presentation, as if we had said YES despite us saying NO repeatedly. THAT was by far the most annoying thing! If you really don't want to do the presentation, be firm in your NO and keep saying NO until you finally have to just be rude and walk away.

If you have any particular questions about this resort, feel free to email me. I'm happy to answer.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean-view. Ask for 6th floor to get the best overall view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ClaireTravels
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed 18 October 2011

It was my 1st time to Cabo and it had been 8 years and a couple babies later since going anywhere in Mexico.

We received an e-mail telling us that transportation would be provided from the airport. We were to look for someone with an orange shirt with the "Cape Travel" logo on it, and khaki pants. The e-mail instructions warned us of a room full of timeshare booths outside of customs. Being my first time here, I had expected some sliding double doors to lead us to this room. Instead it was just through an archway.

We were greeted by a gentleman with an orange shirt and CMTS on his shirt. I wasn't sure if that was Cape Travel or not - and after traveling with 4 young children and 2 hours of sleep, it was fuzzy. We spoke to Hector who told us Felipe was at the other terminal and he'd be by to pick us up in 5 minutes. He then told us about a great place he'd like to show us and if we liked it we could come back and stay there. Long story short, I sort of knew it was a timeshare presentation pitch, but he offered us a free Sunset Cruise for 7 and 3 Double ATVs for $60 cash. I paid him and he gave me a voucher.

We left that room and finally found our driver and ride to the Grand Mayan. We checked in. Asked for a room near my in-laws who are owners. They told us sure, but we ended up on the 1st floor with an obstructed view since we were on an RCI exchange (my in-laws were on the 4th floor on the opposite end of the resort with a great view).

They directed us to the timeshare presentation desk where Barbara basically told me I got "taken" by Hector, that he wouldn't show up and that she had a pile of sheets like mine where people were stood up by their timeshare guy - and that I wouldn't get all the free stuff he promised. I couldn't take it and started to cry. She told me "it would be ok". She'll give me $120 to make up for it if I gave her the voucher Hector gave me and if we sat through the Grand Mayan's presentation. BUT - then she said that she would call the timeshare company Hector represented and tell them not to pick us up. I asked her "why, if he just swindled me out of $60?". She said it was a respect thing - a union thing (?@!) What about respect for me? I told my husband I just needed to go to the room.

Long story short - Hector showed up, on time, we received all the freebies we were promised, and had a great vacation outside of the Grand Mayan. And to think BARBARA almost ruined the whole vacation before it even started.

Here's my take on the property itself:
The Grand Mayan is a nice enough property. I travel for business quite a bit and stay in pretty nice hotels. This hotel was ok. They had stainless steel appliances but floors that look like dark cafeteria floors. So a bit of a dichotomy. The toiletries were sub par too. Front desk/housekeeping didn't even stock an extra toothbrush for those wear travelers who forgot one. There is no washer and dryer in the unit. The soaking pool on the balcony didn't appear to have any filters or evidence that the water was circulating and filtering (ew!). The pool, while magnificent on a wide lens, had many cracked tiles - one of which cut my son's foot.

The housekeepers did do a great job with the turn-down service, which I would say was a highlight of the resort. The activities guy did a good job with the fun activities but his yoga skills were a 2 out of 10.

The lobby is this freakishly dark cave of huge statues of Mayan gods. I almost turned back around. Not welcoming at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MommaMay
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Grand Mayan Los Cabos is a Gold Crown u-shaped resort with a great infinity pool looking out to a beach and ocean. Unfortunately 2 ugly utility buildings have been built on the left open area and a 7 foot high rock wall obstructs the remaining left hand view which houses an elevated deck. On top of the deck, they crazily placed huge deck beds with 7 foot tall frames and shades that occlude the remaining view for the entire left side of the complex. All the rooms on the ground floor left wing (#1140-1154) have mostly obstructed views. These are timeshares in both the RCI & Groupo Mayan/Grand Mayan (high end RCI affiliates) memberships. We have been RCI members (now upped to platinum points) 10 years and have spent about $20K to date. We just bought a Grand Mayan membership 2 years ago because we were so frustrated with the bad luck we always seem to have getting into a nicesub-standard room at the nicer resorts. They will never tell you ahead of time if you have a nice room with a view or if they will place you in a crappy room with no or poor view. So we forked out the $38K and pay $829/yr plus a Registry membership ($250) to exchange our value to other properties plus the exchange fee ($199) when we reserve a week in RCI. After all the money we've spent you'ld think we would be able to get a great room. No! Not the case. It is still a crap shoot. I made reservations 3 months in advance and informed Grand Mayan ahead of time we were owners and please give us a premium room. When we complained that our room had obstructed view and as owners we expected a premium room, the manager said he did not have any rooms available. Funny since I never saw more than 12 people at any one time at the pools or restaurant the entire week. He said he would put us on "the list". We never heard from him again the whole week.
Secondly, I have never been to a place that was so pushy to muscle you into attending a sales presentation. We have already spent $60K and they never stop hounding you. Every year it's something new. Buy their newest deal - it's better than what you have! They never stop milking you. And once you finally convince them you will NOT attend a presentation under any circumstances, they treat you like the plague. Hence, even as owners we never got the room we should have. Buyer's remorse! You bet!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the left wing #1140 through 1154 have mostly obstructed views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We are four professional women who grew up together. For our 50th birthdays, we decided to stay for a week at Grand Mayan (9/25/11-10/2/11). The property is beautiful, as most resorts in Los Cabos are. This was my third trip to Cabo, stayed at the Hilton first, absolutely wonderful property. Second time stayed at Hola Grand Faro, nice resort but I didn't love the food/drinks.

One of the nicest things about Grand Mayan is that there are relatively few rooms in relation to the large pools, so plenty of room for the guests at the pools. The weather was hot and humid, but being from Houston, this was no big deal. There didn't seem to be a lot of guests so we got to know most of the people hanging out at the pool and the pool bar. Good mix of people, young newlyweds, a few families and some middle agers too, probably more of the middle agers than anything.

We used the gym several times and all the equipment was in good working order and water and towels were readily available. We also went to the Spa for massages and mani/pedis, all were very nice and I would recommend them. They had daily specials so it was easy to pick a day when the prices were reduced by around 10%.

We went to the Mega to get groceries as we enjoy cooking in. We got plenty of fruits and veggies and they were all very good. The seafood was not appealing at the Mega so we went to the fish market in San Jose del Cabo. Fish market closes before 5:00 so go early. Only complaint here is that the kitchen in the condo did not have any decent knives so we struggled to cut anything. There was also a shortage of serving bowls and utensils.

I drank the water right out of the faucet and never got sick. The whirlpool bathtub was wonderful as well. The bed was hard with pillows to match. The linens were nice. The maids did a good job of keeping the condo clean (except they do not do dishes, no dishwasher either).

I did notice that the property is beginning to need a little maintenance such as missing tiles around the pools but for the most part is still very nice.

We enjoyed the happy hours, 2 for 1 prices at the pool bar. Most places in Cabo are expensive so it was nice to see some discounts at the bars, restaurants and spa.

The Wednesday night Mexican show was enjoyable. Food was ok and stay away from the margaritas as they used low quality tequila. Actually, my friends drank them anyway, I stuck to beer.

My advice is to take a lot of one dollar bills when you visit Cabo. Don’t even bother with any large bills as no-one ever has change. So if your cab ride is $4, they will not have change for a $10 bill. I also noticed that cab drivers and stores conveniently adjust the dollar/peso conversion rate to their advantage so get the price up front in whichever currency you have. I would ask the bell captain how much the cab ride should be and then the cab driver would not honor that amount, or would switch the currency to dollars to his advantage.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank TexasCPA_EmptyNester
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We booked an RCI exchange for one week last Feb/March. A studio on the east side of the property. The weather was great, every night we slept with our balcony doors open and could hear the waves crashing. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the tub huge. We were concerned with security when we checked in, but the hotel staff assured us it was totally safe at the hotel and walking around the town. The Grand Mayan is about a 15 minute walk to the downtown area where there are more shops and restaurants to choose. We only ate at the hotel twice for dinner, but ate at the pool just about every day for lunch and drinks. The first day we walked to the grocery store and bought some rum, cokes, water and snacks for breakfast. We didn’t have a fridge so we could only get dry items. Saved us some $$. We can’t say enough about the pool. It was absolutely beautiful. Always a lounge chair available. The patio beds were comfortable and a good place to snooze or read a book. Towels were large. And everyday at one we would learn a new Mexican recipe, guacamole, ceviche, etc. The beach was beautiful, but no swimming. The pool restaurant bar had fantastic food and there was always a happy hour at one of the bars. The rest of the hotel was beautiful as well. The inside was unique and stunning, very clean. The staff was friendly. We did sign up for the timeshare preso on the first day. We got extra pesos added to our account, discounts at the restaurants and on activities and a free breakfast buffet. All the freebies were nice to have, but the presentation was a little long and they were a little pushy. But we got it out of the way the first day and were able to enjoy our discounts on all our activities and restaurant/bar purchases the rest of the week. We plan to go back to Cabo next March and stay at the Grand Mayan, but this time in a 1 bedroom. All the time we walked around we never felt unsafe in San Jose. However in San Lucas they are pushier at the shops and restaurants and it becomes irritating. But overall we felt safe. Also, we would get pesos out of the ATM, but found most of the shops are in USD.

Room Tip: Studio does not have a fridge. East side of the hotel gets more evening sun.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam E
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Excellent and knowledgeable concierge staff and great pools. The sales team is pushy, so I recommend avoiding any time share preso, but otherwise, a great property.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view -- lower floors are more convenient for pool and beach access
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Navid V
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This is the 5th Mayan location checked out . My friends bought into Mayan properties a few years ago so have tried most of the locations. This one was just OK. No security like other places, which for four older women traveling by ourselves is an issue This was low season so VERY, VERY humid. They would show activities on the board by the pool, like water arobics, yoga, etc but we had to go get the activities person to make them do it. It was like since it was low season they were on vacation. The cocktail "classes" were fun, though.

The beach is as others have said, not good and unlike other Mayans no chairs or palapas on the beach at all. Shells were little and hard to find no matter how early I went to the beach - went four times in 7 days and got two shells as long as my finger and that was it other than little ones.
Daytime room service good, but twice the nightly turndown person came at 10 PM! And the place was dead, almost no one there so we sure couldn't figure that one out.
No exit from end of buildings an we were over half way down so continually has ro go all the way back to the front to go down to pool. Ask for a room closer to the lobby if you go.
Spa was the best part - good service, but be careful they don't con you. A friend and I were in two separate rooms starting to get our massages and her masseuse came in and told me my friend was getting the longer massage and didn't I want to also. I figured ok, if she is I will too, then later found out her masseuse went back to my friend and told her the same thing about me!
Again, due to low season the shuttle to Cabo San Lucas only ran a couple of times a week and for not very long, so we ended up taking a cab one day $35 each way so you don't want to do that all week. Be sure if you get excursions that they pick you up at the resort. Went on a sunset dinner cruise and it was advertised as a laid back one but was an upstairs party one to the arch. They basically went out by the arch (not very close) and idled the whole time. Half the boat was downstairs wishing they had never come, and that included younger people than us.
The rest of the reviews are right about going to the megastore for supplies. Good selection and only a $5 cab ride. We walked down and took the cab back. Beware time share folks trying to rope you in, even people who look like they work there.
Best meal we ate the whole week was within walking distance of the resort - El Herradero, not to be confused with Habaneros (which was also good). Check out my reviews on them.

OVERALL, we will be taking our business back to Cancun or Puerto Vallata. We loved Cancun, the Mayan Palace there is awesome, great beach, food and so many things to do in the area. Isla Mujeres was just a blast driving around in gold carts. Won't be back to Cabo.

Room Tip: Get closer to lobby
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends