“Something is off with this sales pitch”

The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have been a very happy owner of a timeshare in Cabo San Luca for over 20 years, I have not visit a timeshare deal since the original, but with time running short on my contract and the promise of a free car rental, we thought why not check out a snazzy new place in San Jose.

Rather than give you the play by play, I'll just say that my experience is similar to many others recounted here. Beautiful place, nice meal, presentation was interesting, but from the first mention of money, the aggressiveness began and escalated. The starting deal at $80k, the ending deal at 4k, so many different spins that you can't possibly keep them straight. Tried to take notes, but they wouldn't allOw it. At one point it, we were interested, but when we asked to take a contract with us to review, that was also forbidden. I don't know about you, but I don't buy a pair of shoes without at least a little shopping around, but a long term comitment, of thousands of dollars? Sorry but I need to at least consult my pillow for that,

I don't know what the story is here. Just seems to me that a normal business would have handed us a brochure and business card and let us do whatever research or review we wanted. After all it's a gorgeous place and they were looking to cut us a good deal. Just doesn't make sense that they try so hard and so aggressively to close you.

After a little googling, I know that half of what was said was not exactly true. They did however give the promised car rental voucher, after 4 hours of my time, on our vacation and I'd say we are about even.

Honest businesses do not operate this way.

• Stayed: March 2012
10  Thank PAWS22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,138)

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just home from a lovely week in San Jose del Cabo. We used our RCI points to book one week in a one bedroom suite. I had read that they put the RCIers on the first floor which was true in our case. I asked if there wasn't something higher that would have a better view - but of course there was not. If you stood in the corner of our deck - you could indeed see ocean. So we faced the courtyard, which was lovely. We were asked once at check-in if we'd like to book a presentation and take advantage of the discounts. We said 'not at this time.' We rec'd one followup call asking if we had thought about the presentation and we declined. And that was it. No more pressure.

The suite we had was spacious, clean with terrific maid service every day. Full kitchen including coffee pot and blender, but no oven. Our patio was a really good size and we took advantage of the full sun every morning, reading and having coffee. Our personal style is to buy a few things so we can eat a light breakfast in the morning and have coffee, then find a place or two to eat downtown the rest of the day. For us - the suite was great.

Access to the beach is very good...it's not a swimming beach, but lovely to watch waves and walk in either direction.

Pool area is lovely. Always seemed to be lots of chairs. The hot tub is - um - tepid. The pool is maybe on the cool side - compared to Puerto Vallarta's pools, but it was fine. There seemed to always be people swimming. Poolside service was just ok.

Security at the hotel was very good. Always checking for wristbands when you re-entered the hotel. Ensuring only registered guests were coming/going both at the front and beach entrances. Bellman services at the front entrance were very good. Always pleasant, always helpful.

Can't offer an opinion about the restaurants on site. We were less than thrilled with the menu(s) and pricing at the GM in Nuevo Vallarta and had made a conscious decision to eat off premises this trip.

There was very little by way of food supplies (in my opinion) in the gift shop on the premises. If you went left from the entrance of the hotel (South) a block or two there was a little convenience store across the street where you could get liquor, milk, water etc. Because we only need a few things in our room....I think I would skip Walmart or Mega and just get what we needed from this little store. We had walked to Walmart and took a cab back - which was $6. So, you pay a dollar more for the supplies, but you save an hour - depends on how much you need to buy. (We did not drink the water from the tap - we bought water for drinking and coffee making. They said their water is safe and treated; however, some people find the high mineral content upsets their stomach.)

Read the fine print and make arrangements with the conceirge before you leave home to have a ride waiting for you at the airport. They will be OUTSIDE with the name of the transportation company on a sign. It's free and very convenient. Our plane was an hour late - but they knew and were waiting for us and others to transport to the Mayan. The few minutes we had to wait till they gathered all the passengers meant we had time to have a beer and a marguartia.The return taxi to the airport will run you about $20 (260 pesos) plus a tip.

Taxis are plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. We chose to walk everywhere. No shortage of places to eat and where you end up will depend on your palate and credit card limit. A short walk towards town you will find a taco stand on the right hand side of the street - Los Claros. You order 1 or 10 tacos (or whatever)...they run around 20 - 25 pesos each. They serve beer, no hard liquor. It was clean fast and cheap and more importantly very good. Teo is nice little bar. We had good drinks and very good fish tacos there. Free wifi. Lots of upper scale places to eat. Very little in the way of happy medium though. In my opinion - eating out in San Jose is more expensive than PV.

Lots of tourist police out and about. It's very safe to walk around - never felt scared or threatened anywhere. Walk to town is about 10 - 15 mins.

Over all - the property is very nice - well maintained. Presents as a luxury resort.

Room Tip: Main floor was convenient - but not much of a view of the ocean. Try for higher up if that's im...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Flipfloplocations
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The mayan San Jose is a beautiful property. It was well within walking distance of shops, restaurants, grocery store. The staff will go out of their way to be helpful. It truly was a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at The Grand Mayan Los Cabos Jan/Feb/12. It is a beautiful very well maintained resort. It is smaller then other Grand Mayans but very intimate with beautiful balconies and kitchens. The beach is excellent and better than any beach we have been to on the Mexican west coast. I is not a party type hotel but is designed for relaxation. I know it is difficult to get a reservation here. Fortunately we are Vida members and can book 12 months in advance.
You would never be disappointed. San Jose Del Cabo is a trendy and enjoyable, clean tourist town with good restaurants and fun shopping. Desert location so it cools off at night.
We LOVE it here!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with afternoon sun are the best choice.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Westbank2008
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We traded into this property throu our Registry Collection timeshare membership. We stayed in a two bedroom suite, which included a living room, kitchen and balcony with plunge pool. The entire resort was immaculately kept; the food was terrific (but expensive as expected), the service was superb. The rooms were large, comfortable and modern. The pools were a little cold this time of year, but not bad. Really have to applaud the activities team at this small resort. They worked tirelessly to engage guests and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. Highly recommend the PeriQ restaurant and the Mexican Fiesta (runs 1x week). As I said, the food was great... And the service and wait staff could match any 5 star. We didn't adventure out to town this visit and stayed on resort the entire time, which says a lot for our experience. The gym is small, but nice and worth using. Wish I got around to using the spa. Def next time. If you play tennis or golf, those amenities are a short $5 cab ride away. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank mmahoney
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Pros
Grounds: Spectacular, well maintained, very tropical and zen
Staff: Professional, efficient, polite, several exceptional will know your name within 2 days
Room: Spacious, clean, jacuzzi tub, 2 sinks, stand alone shower, patio w chairs and table, 1st floor is convenient to get to pool
Food: Convenient
Pools: Spacious, beautiful, not crowded
$$ You can exchange your money right at the hotel

TIP*Spa: Wonderful, relaxing, more than overpriced - however you may use the sauna, hot tub, etc without a service AND this is a better place to spend $100 instead of checking out late. You can store your luggage with the hotel and stay at the spa if you have an afternoon departure.

Cons
Late check out: ANYTHING after 10 am is considered late and they make you sign something saying you accept $100 charge if you don't check out by then.

Front desk: Will look you in the eye and insist you can not change rooms due to full capacity, I tried 3 different people. This is evident that is not true, and I spoke with other staff that remain anonymous. Blocks of rooms were dark and empty the entire week I was there, and you will see this repeated elsewhere in reviews. Why they will not offer a better room that is sitting empty to improve your experience is beyond me. I specifically asked for a room on a higher floor based on reviews I read. I, like others, was stuck on the first floor. No fridge, microwave or coffee maker and the walls are so paper thin we could hear coughing till 4 am, complete conversations, and all tv programs!

Pool: Not heated, very very cold, only 1 of the 4 hot tubs heated which is where everyone's children gathered. Only youngest kids brave the pool, a few adults on the hottest days. The in pool lounge chairs at edge of the infinity pool are shallow enough to be refreshing, but not comfortable enough to stay long.

Food: OUTRAGEOUS pricing. Spoke with a time sharer who has been going to Grand Mayan for 8 yrs, said it is TRIPLE the price from last may until now. Breakfast buffet is $25 US, a happy hour drink was $17. Got my first sticker shock on day one when bill came to sign, we had an appetizer and 2 happy hour drinks it was about $70 US. If you are lucky enough to have a kitchen, use it or venture out much as you can. They take full advantage of captive audience and food is only average. We went to Habenaro's several times, it was exceptional, Staff is awesome, full meal, with appetizers, drinks and dessert for two was $52 US. Huge difference. They give coupons out every time too for your next visit.

Bill: They will not take cash or your card anywhere on the resort, you have to charge everything to your room like a cruise. An 18% gratuity is automatically added, as well as leaving space for even more tipping. I highly suggest you stop at the desk a day or two before you check out to review your bill. I just kept my receipts in the hotel envelope.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stephylee
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We recently purchased a time share at the Mayan. With a family of six, we were staying at the Playa Grande in Los Cabos. Our story begins with the assault at the airport by rogue wolves working for the hotels. After being greeted by a man wearing a Playa Grande Resort polo shirt, we accepted his multiple offers of family oriented activities which we thought were part of the Playa Grande Resort welcome package. He even stated that he was there as an agent of the Playa Grande, even looking up our reservation and summoning our car rental, (what a great scammer!) He conducted all his business inside the terminal in front of the police and airport agents, why not think it's legitimate? On to the best part. So we checked in and the Playa Grande and underwent an interrogation about speaking with any Mayan employees. They we described as "liars, crooks and not trust worthy, they will steal your money and not show up for their meetings. Contrary to what we were told, the Mayan picked us up on time, fed my family breakfast, provided free entertainment for the children, arts and crafts, pool, toys.... While my wife and I attended the sales pitch. After a lengthy meeting, my wife and I did the math and the details made good financial sense for us. Family of 6, travel 2-3 times a year and we love Baja and its people. My hat is off to Lucindo (cabana waiter) and Angie (sales) for taking great care of my family, the most important thing to me. During the purchase, the Mayan was unable to provide a room as a transfer, but did extend all courtesies of the resort as "Owners". One of the most important things was the fact that the staff addressed us by name after only meeting us once. The next day we were greeted with a "Good morning Señor Rivas, nice to see you back with us again!" by all of the staff, from the entertainment concierge (Oscar) to the food staff and sales, Now that's service. We look forward to visiting each Mayan Resort! What a fun time! Email me if you have any questions. I am not a salesman, just a father making memories with his family. Idahobluechild@gmail.com

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family