“Very nice resort”

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very nice resort”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

By reading a ton of trip advisor reviews before I went on my trip - my vacation went off flawlessly. I thought the resort was well maintained, and very nice, with a great staff. I read a lot about the pools being too cold - but while the plunge pool on our balcony was too cold to use, the other pools were fine. A little bracing when your sun baked skin first hits the water, but otherwise fine. Maybe time of year helps?

I liked the dark entrance with the statues and drums - but sadly could not get a good picture of it. We had a nice room (yes, hard beds as described by others) with a convenient kitchenette. We went to the Mega store on day of arrival and purchased all our groceries. We ate 90% of our meals in our room, and purchased nothing from the hotel. When we checked out, our bill was $18 (phone calls and room taxes). We had no problem with time share sales at the resort - I know they called our room a couple of times and left messages, but we never were approached in person. They may have read all the reviews and corrected the problem - at least I have no complaints. We took the bus to Cabo - it was about $2.30 per person each way, and took between 25-40 minutes depending on roadwork. Easy and cost effective. The marina in Cabo is where the time share sales people drove me crazy! We had a couple of drinks at Cabo Wabo - fun place, but expensive. I had a Wabojito - it was delicious, but small and $9 (109 pesos). It was an easy walk to the town of San Jose del Cabo - lots of little bars and restaurants. Felt like a safe environment - I never experienced any hostil/bad vibes during my vacation.

One tragic thing happened, on Cinco de Mayo, someone drowned out in front of our resort. I don't know if the person was an adult or child, or if they were staying at the Grand Mayan. We left the next morning, and the search boats were still going, so the body had not been recovered. The main thing I find so disturbing is that I can't find out anything about it - I've google searched every way I can think of, and there's nothing. Stay out of the ocean, period. If you want a vacay with time spent swimming in the ocean, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: I heard that RCI transfers would be put on the 1st floor with no view - but we were on the second le...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank chaos1chey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Chicago
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We just returned from the Grand Mayan and I have to admit that I really can't find anything I would complain about. We had both a 2 bedroom and a hotel room - all were wonderul. Other reviews talk of timeshare sales (we were not approached once), cold pool water (go now - it's like bath water!), and expensive food/drinks (food pricing was very normal for a resort and a 2 for 1 drink of 24 oz -which literally happy hour is most of the day- is $10). The room decor is modern and clean. There are three parts to the pool and plenty of chairs/beds which makes it so relaxing to sleep late and roll out to the pool without worrying about having space (we even had a large group, and no problems). The twice daily maid service is key - you are on vacation! And the service in all areas (pool service, restaurant, check-in/out) were all 5 star. I would highly recommend exchanging for a stay here - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank ST_Chicago
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Recent stay at the resort in mid April 2012. I exchanged and RCI timeshare and went down on a girls trip. We received a lovely 2 bedroom unit in the main bldg on the 4th floor with a fantastic view. We found it very comfortable. We did shop at the Mega and did breakfasts and most lunches in our room and went out for dinners. We debated renting a car but when we arrived we realized with $4.50 taxi rides we were better off going that way. Erik the concierge was outstanding and went out of his way for us. He even went to walmart and purchased beach chairs for us as the hotel does not have any beach chairs( I don't really understand why). The bell men when you come in were also fabulous! I had read to beware of the pressure of the timeshare sales but we were completely left alone....perhaps because we were all women and my husband wasn't with me. But I did see the tours happening around us constantly and it looked torturous.....very long too it seemed.

Yes the pools were a bit too cool. I found the hot tubs just right. We didn't really use our plunge pool on our patio as it was too cool if not in full sun. Yes drinks and food were high but we made our own and ate outside of the resort mostly. There were always plenty of chairs at the pool but if you wanted to be up closer to the ocean you needed to save a spot fairly early. ( there is supposed to be a policy against this but it is not enforced unfortunately.)

There were a few kids at the resort but I wouldn't say it is a GREAT kids resort. Not bad but not great. There isn't a kids club or a kids pool per say.
The resort is quite sleepy and so is the town of San Jose unless it is a Thursday night during the art walk but I don't mind that. I personally can't stand the craziness and cheesiness of Cabo. I really enjoyed being that close to the town of San Jose vs in the corridor on the way to Cabo!

I would definitely return with my girlfriends or my husband and probably even with my young kids.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank CoccoKB
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I travel to Cabo regularly, and this is not a my favorite hotel. The staff is nice, and they'll try hard to make your stay a pleasant one, but the hotel policies are geared towards charging you as much as possible... Everything you can get complementary from other hotels nearby, from wireless to vallet parking, has a steep fee at the Mayan. Other services, from food to even bottled water is extremely overpriced, as you would expect from a time share property that needs to maximize revenue from customers that "don't pay" for lodging. Need to check out later than 10am? That would be $100 until 12pm. Did you loose you vallet parkig stub? That will cost you $40. If you don't return the pool towels by 7pm, there will be a $10 charge. The list goes on and on.

The issue is compiled by the fact that Taxi fares in Los Cabos are outrageous. If you decide to stay at this hotel, consider getting a rental car, and try to eat out as much as possible.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank csc72
Morristown, NJ
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

My parents and I are owners at this Mexican chains higher end product, the Grand Luxxe. The facility is not yet built in Los Cabos so we decided to stay at the Grand Mayan. The key to understanding these places is to understand they are NOT a Marriott, Hilton or Sheraton experience. These properties are Mexican and are quirky in a very charming way. The San Jose property is small but perfectly located with one of the nicest beaches in the area. All rooms face the water. The service is very nice and the staff willing to accommodate once they understand what you are asking (especially if your Mexican Spanish is not fluent).

Stayed May 2011
1 Thank stevesottl
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

While the hotel appears to be quite grand, we couldnt get past the despicable treatment by their timeshare sales people. They say that we need to commit 90 minutes to the presentation but then sent us home because we wouldnt reserve the whole day. Additionally, we were told that the resort was located onthe corridor 20 minutes drive from downtown Cabo when in fact they are located inSan Jose del Cabo, 30 minutes away.....another deception. If this resort is really as lovely as they say, why the need to lie and deceive?

There are plenty of beautiful resorts in Cabo with honest people to stay at.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank ellen_bryan
Maple Ridge
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Good: The resort is beautifully maintained, Rooms are spacious and clean, very good, 2 couples can comfortably stay in a room or a family of 6-8 with the pull out beds in the living room. The resort is close to Los Cabos, many resaurants, golf, has a beautiful beach. There are many deck chair and cabanas.

The Bad: A very small fridge, and with the price of food and drinks at this resort, you will want to stock up. Beds were quite hard and uncomfortable, but not terrible. the pools were quite cool especially the one closest to the ocean. You cannot swim in the ocean. We had one bad experience with a timeshare saleswoman who almost jumped into our vehicle when we were leaving one day but were not bothered again. Resort is dead as soon as it gets dark, this could be good or bad depending on who is staying, but with the resort prices everybody leaves in the evenings. Cabo San Lucas is a good 30 minutes away.

The Ugly: Drink prices were ridiculously expensive, even happy hour, you got one large drink instead of 2, but was still $10-15. Unfortunate, because if the drinks were reasonably priced we would have ordered most from the resort, but for these prices would go back to the room. Beer was $6 a bottle, so happy hour made it $3, much more reasonable. Went for breakfast one morning and my wife and I had toast and coffee, it was over $22, I did add a tip and later learned there was a gratuity already added and a line for a tip as well.

Tips and notes: Mega is a great place to shop for beer and groceries, prices are competative with wall mart and a much better location. Restaurants, Cynthia's behind Mega, great food. Guacamaya's, authentic mexican, awesome, cheap prices. Shooters, food was mediocre and slow but good to watch a game, $1 beers, bathrooms are gross, watch your step on the stairs. Rissellina (sp?) Sunset cruise in Cabo was awesome, We've done it twice and loved it both times $55 U.S. per person includes a good dinner and open bar, Highly reccommended.

One more note, Do not rent a car through Carrentals.com or FOX rent a car in Cabo, they wanted to add $18 per day above our online car rental rate even though our contract said"Full amount,No hidden charges" We went somewhere else, but we were extremely pissed off, never again.

Room Tip: We were on the main floor, and could hear the workers setting up in themorning. They say the resort...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple