“Grand Hotel”

Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Espanola, New Mexico
“Grand Hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a timeshare offer to stay and review this property. We have seen several Grand Mayan properties in other locations in Mexico and we were favorably impressed. There seemed to be a Grand Mayan in every place that we like to visit in Mexico.We had not been to the Los Cabos area for about ten years and we wanted to see what had changed. We particularly liked San Jose de Cabo as it was much quieter and slower paced than Cabo San Lucas. We very much enjoyed San Jose. The town very calm has remained much as we remember from ten years ago. It was an easy stroll into town from the Grand Mayan and we would usually walk to town for lunch, sight see, shop and set in a rooftop bar and people watch. We would walk back to the Grand Mayan for dinner as the food is very good and they have several venues for different appetites. We liked it so well that we bought into the Grand Mayan.

Room Tip: All have an ocean view but about the fifth floor and up allow you to see further up and down the bea...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rshuttle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We liked this place so much we bought in. The only problem is one has to stay a week and that is a problem for us when we are in Cabo for business. We love staying in San Jose...dusty, arty and quiet, going up to Cabo San Lucas is a bore compared to this lovely little town.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank M S
Tracy, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Everything was clean and first class. I agree that the water was warmer than expected but that is expected for August. There is no swimming in the ocean but we did walk out into the ocean up to our knees and even down the beach a bit some people were swimming so that was a nice break to be able to actually cool off in the ocean.
We rented a car so that allowed us to go to Cabo San Lucas on 2 different occasions. We also ventured out to the East Cape where the beach was amazing.
Our favorite restaurant was Don Sanchez. There was a saxophone player and the food was awesome. We also ate across the street at Ten 2 tacos and that was also good for a simple taco.
We also tried Habanaros, which is a sister restaurant to Don Sanchez, and was extremely good. I had the seared Ahi Tuna and it was wonderful.
We also tried El Toro Guero which was an authentic local mexican restaurant, must take a taxi there. It was excellent. We had the cevechi and several tacos. All were excellent!
We also ventured out to the Port and went to breakfast 2 times at The Container, a very clever little restaurant based out of a shipping container. It was also a great view and great food.
We had a great time. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had a great view. We were on the 4th floor looking straight out at the fountain. Wonderful view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dsteele522
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed there with my wife August 1st-9th. We have stayed in different Mayan properties but this was the first time in Grand Mayan Los Cabo. Most of my Mayan experiences have been at the Nuevo Vallarta properties and I have never been completed satisfied there. I was prepared for the worst based on a lot of the tripadvisor reviews. I was happy to see for myself ; sometimes is better to experience it than to read about it. From the moment we arrived, the parking attendants/bellboys really made us feel like class! I was very surprised that I was not pressured into a timeshare presentation once we stated that we did not want to attend. (we agreed later after we had attended one outside the resort). The two presentations we attended were under two hours and the gifts...awesome! Now, the resort itself, magnificent! Place was super clean, loved that resort smell, soo much that we bought the air fresher that the cleaning staff uses around the lobby and hall ways. Food was average and a bit pricey but the staff made up for. Loved laying in the cabañas (cabanas) near the pool. Had lots of fun with the pool activities and the happy hour.We really enjoyed out week there and will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Merlyn R
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was a very friendly and clean resort. Every morning, men were actually IN the pool scrubbing it. It looked exactly like the pictures. The infinity pool facing the ocean is amazing but yes, some days the water was too warm that it was hard to get any relief from the heat, but they have no control over that. The bell boys and housekeeping staff were excellent. the grounds were impeccable.

Some things to know: Definitely go to the Mega food store when you get in and buy some of the basics, even some alcohol. There is a McDonalds and a Starbucks as well. You should take a taxi and it should be $5. If you walk out of the hotel and go left, there is a Gloria Jeans coffee place where you can get coffee and a muffin in the morning to avoid their breakfast sales pitch. Do not go to their breakfast unless you want to deal with being sold a timeshare. There is also two or three places to get lunch or dinner along that strip. I recommend the Tapas place- great food. There is also a bar (house of brews or rock and brews...something like that). In San Jose, we went to La Dolce. As a native New Yorker, I was surprised by how good the Italian food was. So these are some places to go near the hotel if you want to stay close or want a low key night.

Always ask the taxi driver how much (Cuánto cuesta?) It should cost $35 to any where in San Lucas and only $5-7 around San Jose. Call the hotel ahead of your arrival and they can get you a pick up at the airport on a shuttle for only $16 (my friends didn't do this and a taxi was $45). Do not buy or agree to buy any trips, etc at the airport. Just look for the shuttle company, smile and say no thanks where is the shuttle? They do not offer a shuttle back to the airport because it hurts the taxi drivers who wait out front. It should be $25US or $30 pesos.

If you are an RCI member, accept that they will stick you on the first floor. I was annoyed with this because I am a platinum member and they claim that I would automatically get upgraded if there were rooms available, which there were, but I was not. We still have a partial view of the water but you really want to get a room on at least the third floor. The resort was not fully booked; throughout the week, I even asked some of the bar staff, a waiter, a housekeeper. They all said they were not full. But at least I was not bothered about a timeshare like some of the reviews I read.

If you are not an RCI member, or do not have a timeshare trade, there are hidden fees. My friends were almost charged extra to use the gym in the morning. I walked right down there and told them they were with me and they backed off.

No, you can't swim in the ocean, so if this is important to you, book somewhere else. The resort is quiet, so if you want a more lively place, do not stay here. Depending on who is your waiter around the pool, they can be a bit slow. Some days they were attentive and other days you might get someone who is not, but it was still good. They have like three happy hours where drinks are two for one. I thought they were good. Be careful when getting salad- remember, they wash the lettuce with their water and my friends and I had some stomach issues. I would have liked more options as well, or another restaurant. After a week, you want different food. And they do enforce the "no coolers" around the pool so if you bring food or drink, be a bit more covert about it. (We saw a family get busted about it.)

The spa was amazing. I had the four-handed massage, the Brio massage, the Jelly facial, and the Reiki, so yes, I spent a lot of time there! They have a sauna, steam room, hot tub and cool dip bath as well. Prices are the same as most vacation spas.

A must go to restaurant- Sunset de Mona Lisa. Have the concierge book you a table- wow. The view is amazing. You can see the arch, the food was the best I had the entire trip, and they don't rush you. Basically, people get a table anytime from 6:30 to 8:00 and people stay the entire night; I didn't see any table turn over so book a reservation. For the three of us it was $200 and we had 7 glasses of wine (total) two appetizers, three meals, three desserts...they also give you bread with olive oil, a mini appetizer and macaroons and after dinner drinks free...all amazing.

The Office was another good restaurant. Everyone raves about their breakfast and lunch but we went for dinner and it was great.

A few negatives: These are nit picky. The wifi is awful. I like to be able to check my email and facebook. It's $70 pesos for the week extra and they give each device a code. Do not let them charge you for each device. I had to be a bit forceful about this and they gave me three codes. The code often had to be reset and the signal was not always strong. If you don't care about this then, ok. Second, they will call you in the morning and offer you a welcome breakfast. Yes, it is the sales pitch. After the first time this happened, I walked down to the front, told them I do not want these phone calls, I'm not going to the breakfast and I am not buying a time share, and they took care of it and I didn't get any other calls. (I know others have had different experiences.)

The Cabo Escape booze cruise was funny. Totally cheesy, but fun to go on with friends, lots of alcohol, a surprisingly good dinner, and the staff is hysterical. It was worth the $59. They stop in front of the Arch so you can take pictures as well.

Downtown Cabo San Lucas is nuts. It's like spring break. We did it three nights we were there. Definitely go to Cabo Wabo. Lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Amy T
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel has a beautifully furnished and equipped facility. The bell boys and valet parking staff have the best customer service, very attentive and courteous at all times! The Spa selection is great; I did the deep cleaning facial with a body scrub amd it was heavenly! I recommend u go with Ruth. The Grand Cafe has a great selection of American and Mexican traditional foods. Go with Miriam in the hostess area to give u advice on great restaurants or whereabouts in the neighborhood. We loved it!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MYTRIO2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Everything was first class, the staff, amenities, food and spa were fantastic i would recommend this location for anyone

Great location to local spots. Golf Course was average but still fun to play.

The beach was nice butbsand too hot to spend any time on it

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family