“Awesome Vacation! Will definitely go back.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Mayan Los Cabos

The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #15 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Edina, Minnesota
“Awesome Vacation! Will definitely go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This Grand Mayan is clean, well laid out, great rooms, great views, and great people working there. The food was delicious and had great happy hour drinks several times a day. We loved the location, the pool and beach. We will go back for sure! Easy to walk/cab to several wonderful restaurants and loved the art district in San Jose. You have to go to Flora Farms for a meal...wonderful! My only suggestions would be investing in better sheets and getting better wifi reception. I don't mind the $50 charge for 2 devices but would love to have it easier to access. Can't wait to plan our trip back!

Room Tip: Rooms on level 3 and higher have better views but all rooms have great ocean views....love that!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vacationamy1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I own a Mayan timeshare and it's my first time to stay here in San Jose del Cabo. The word "Grand" kept coming as an apt description of the resort. The design was meant to overwhelm the senses, specially as you enter. I came here to celebrate my birthday with my girl posse and I was happy to have chosen this resort. Our rooms were spacious, always clean - we had a 2BR/2BA plus another 1BR/BA down the hallway for 5 people; the kitchenette was useful for coffee and breakfast. You can cook if you want but we opted to eat out. You had a choice of a la carte breakfast or the buffet and we always chose the buffet for variety, which they offered in heaps (slightly pricey but worth it for us, convenient). We planned for two meals a day (watching our figures and all) and a big breakfast kept us going till the late afternoon. We had several massages and facials (very satisfactory), they even have the tequila foot massage while sipping a margarita! We all could use the hot tub & cold plunge, sauna, steam room for free so that was a plus. The service was always happy and front desk personnel were helpful. We got to walk the beach peacefully without being accosted by sellers, such as what happens at Medano Beach. It's a short walking distance (about 10 minutes) to the small town of San Jose del Cabo where they have many better restaurants (compared to CSL), obviously catering to a more grown-up clientele; they even have an art exhibit one day of the week. The canopied lounges were first come, first served and if you find someone "reserving" a lounge for too long without actually seeing them, call one of the staff and their belongings will be removed. They told us that guests can only reserve for a half hour, they have to show up; I like that rule. The food at the restaurant by the pool was middling, we opted to go out for our other meals.
As for people who are annoyed by the timeshare sales - just say no UNLESS you want to actually buy one. I already own one so they never bothered me.
I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If you don't own a Mayan resort in the particular resort, you don't get the higher rooms wit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Flaneuretta
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Let me first say that I never stayed at this hotel. I tried, but the people running this hotel were so arrogant that I left and went to another hotel nearby. I went to this hotel to see about staying there last week (April 9-15, 2014). I did not have a reservation but was told that the property was beautiful and was not full. So we drove to the hotel and drove into the entry. We were greeted by the parking attendants/security and told them I wanted to go to the reception desk to see about staying at the hotel. He was not pleased. I left my family in the car and proceeded to walk in and was closely followed by security at about 3 feet behind. I paused at the entry and he practically took me by the arm and said I had to move along in this direction. I happened to stop at the front display that is very dramatic and 2 stories tall and he told me to move along. I finally made it to the reception desk and they explained that they had no vacancy. I thanked them and started walking back to the car and this attendant continued to follow me at close range. I took a right turn to see what the pool area looked like and he said I could not see it and physically pulled me away from seeing the pool. He explained in english that it was for hotel guests only and since I was not a guest I could not see the pool. I told him I only wanted to view the pool area so I will know if I wanted to stay at his hotel in the future. He refused. I am an 69 year old man and very well off financially and the costs of this hotel is not out of my range , but the way the people at this hotel treat their guests is not acceptable and not the way that other hotels serve their guests from my experience. They would not allow me to see any of the rooms including the dining room so I cannot tell you in this report what they were like. The hotel is pretentious and not warm and inviting like so many other Mexican hotels can be. Stay away from this hotel. They do not understand customer service. There are so many other better hotels in Cabo and in San Jose del Cabo. You can easily find them on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank ESTEVE A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I had a very enjoyable week vacation in this beautiful resort. A day visit to the San Lucas area to see the famous arch was worth the effort, but it is a hyper-active and noisy place not to our liking, much preferring the quiet, peaceful atmosphere of the Grand Mayan San Jose location.

The ocean views are outstanding but swimming there is out of the question due to dangerous undertow activity. So time is spent around the attractive shallow pools and walks along the beach with the impressive mountains in the distance. Buy drinks half price during the two afternoon happy hour periods at the pools!.

The resort staff were very attentive and friendly and the concierge very helpful in recommending restaurants and other activities.

On-site restaurants are OK but there are numerous fine restaurants a walking distance from the resort or in downtown San Jose, a $5 cab ride away. Highly recommend these restaurants:

La Galeria, Il Forno and Habanero's near the resort. Don Sanchez and Mi Cocina downtown San Jose. Our favorite was Don Sanchez where chef Todd Chapman serves up truly gourmet dinners like "Chile Wellington".

Thursday night art walks in downtown San Jose (5$ cab ride) is great fun, with many restaurants to choose from.

Suggest declining "free gifts and discounts" offered if you agree to listen to Grand Mayan time share presentations. Better to spend you time enjoying all that the resort and surrounding area offers

We will return..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jerry1934
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went to The Grand Mayan Los Cabos as a family celebration for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. We are Grand Luxxe owners and my dad especially wanted to come to the Grand Mayan Los Cabos because of the great memories he had from a previous trip. I concur 1000% with the reviewers who say the best part of the Grand Mayan is the service. Everyone who works there goes above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. And these people taking cleanliness to a new level. While we were there, they were actually moving the decorative rocks that line the walkways to clean underneath them! However, I don't understand the people who nit pick about everything else.

With two happy hours a day at the pool and happy hours at different times of the day within the hotel, two for one drinks are very affordable. Plus every day they have the "drink of the day" at the pool bar and you can get that day's drink 2 for 1 all day. I think that the cost of food is very reasonable for a resort. Buffet breakfast is expensive if you don't stuff yourself BUT you don't have to have the buffet...they have a regular breakfast menu also.

The pool area is huge so if you don't want to hear the music, go to some other area. The music is really loud for about an hour when they have water aerobics but, hey, I am willing to put up with it for a short amount of time so that others can have some exercise. There are also other activities by the pool if you are interested...black jack, darts, water and beach volleyball, etc. No pressure to join in but it's there if you want to participate.

The shower in our room didn't drain well and a bathroom light didn't work BUT as soon as we told the staff about it, they took care of it. The mattresses are firm but the rest of the furniture in the rooms is quite comfortable. Elvia, our maid, made sure that she introduced herself and told us that if we needed anything special, just ask. The resort has been around for awhile and is starting to show some wear in the rooms and with the pool furniture but nothing terrible and everything is so clean, it's not a big deal.

The spa is immaculate and if you have a late flight you can use the facilities to shower and change after you check out.

To me the Grand Mayan Los Cabos is the jewel of all of their locations. The resorts in Nueva Vallarta and Cancun are huge and getting bigger. They're building an amusement park in NV!!!!!! The new Grand Luxxe that is being built on the East Cape of Los Cabos will also be huge. I am quite content to come here every year or so. I can walk into the cute little town of San Jose del Cabo (don't miss the Thursday night art walks) and enjoy the many lovely restaurants, shops and galleries. I can play tennis at the resort's courts (near their golf course). My dad enjoyed playing a few rounds of golf and met some nice people there. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable 2 week vacation. Can't wait to see Judy, the best pool waitress ever, the next time we go back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Donna R
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Los Cabos, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Donna R:
We appreciate that you took the time to share your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay pleasant and we are happy to learn you did enjoy your stay.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We are pleased to learn we successfully made that possible for you and your loved ones.

We appreciate your feedback and we truly look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Happily,
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos Management
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

First of all, the staff is outstanding and the grounds are nice and for the most part we enjoyed our stay here. Really liked the PeriQ restaurant, two excellent dinners; the breakfast buffet was really nice but unless you eat a ton it's not worth what they charge. We were disappointed by the following: the rooms are way too noisy, can hear everything from the people beside and on top of you. Furniture and beds are not what you would expect, not that comfortable. Never could get a lounge chair close to the only warm pool as jerks keep their stuff on them but never seem to get around to actually using the chair and of course no one polices it. There is no hot tub outside, unbelievable to me. The tub in the spa is hot but they don't turn the jets on (I did love the steam room). It would be nice if they didn't play terrible music so loudly around the pool area during the day, kind of annoying. The waves are quite a distance from the resort, and this is the only place we've stayed where they don't have lounge chairs in the sand to be closer to the water. Of course, you're not at the resort most of the time; and the wonderful people make the annoyances seem less.

Room Tip: get as far away from the elevators as you can, we had the first room and could barely see the ocean...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fj49_49
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Grand Mayan is a beautiful hotel. The pools and the beach were wonderful and the ambiance of the lobby is very unique. As beautiful of a place as it is, it really is the people who make the difference.
From the moment we arrived we we were warmly greeted by Senem Correa Cabral. He was so very welcoming and went out of his way to help us in any way he could, always with a smile.
The Grand Mayan will definitely be part of our future travel plans.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Helloooooooooooooo
Dear Helloooooooooooooo:

Thank you for sharing your detailed comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are glad you enjoyed the pools, beach and our facilities. We are grateful for your kind words about some of our staff's service, as this is what we strive for every day. We are certain Senem will gladly receive your feedback, as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

We are grateful for your feedback and hope you allow us to host your vacations again.

With all good wishes,
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos Management.