The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Los Cabos
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$421
US$362
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$199
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$304
  • Pool
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$547
Bookit.com
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$315
US$285
  • Pool
Cabo Azul Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$242
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$812
US$748
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$455
US$437
Bookit.com
Paradisus Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$1,358
US$1,049
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
One & Only Palmilla(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
US$898
US$878
1,254 results
All reviewstimeshare presentationblue fishsamba restaurantsan josebrio spalos cabostime shareconstruction noisepool arearci exchangeone bedroom suitebeautiful resortsales peoplehigh pressurecab ridecoffee makerrental car
Reviewed 5 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Mayan for 7 nights. This was my fourth trip to Mexico in 5 years. The Grand Mayan stay was by far the most luxurious experience. We stayed in two different suites during our visit (due to availability). For 3 nights we stayed in the standard king room and the remaining nights were spent in a 2 bedroom suite. Both suites were gorgeous however I must admit that the mattresses were too firm for our liking. The staff was great and extremely friendly particularly the concierges. Now, with every great stay there is always a catch.. watch out for the timeshare reps (aka blood suckers). We normally say no whenever we are asked to participate in a presentation however this time we agreed after being hounded for two days. It was an extremely painful experience. We were harassed by 4 different sales guys within a 3 hour period. Each one slimier than the next. They would not take no for an answer. The 3 hour ordeal was supposed to be only 1.5 hours. I guess ours was longer because we refused to play ball. Definately not worth a free breakfast which was included in the presentation. Other than that, we absolutely enjoyed our stay. The spa is fantastic and the pools, although extremely warm, were clean and inviting. The facility is nearly new and the decor is out of this world. We did not eat at any of the onsite restaurants except for the timeshare presentation breakfast and a burger the day we were leaving. We did have some drinks by the pool, which were pricey. The walk to San Jose Del Cabo is easy and takes about 15 minutes. There are a ton charming authentic mexican restaurants as well as bistros that offer a variety of cuisine. The art gallery scene in San Jose Del Cabo is awesome.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nanlis
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Just recently, My family took a very nice cruise to Cabo San Lucas. During our limited time in Cabo, we decided to visit the Grand Mayan Resort. We decided to visit, because two years ago, on our first trip to Cabo, before the Grand Mayan was even built, we decided to buy into their time-share program. And since we heard that it had just opened 6 months prior to our cruise, we decided to stop by and see what our money was buying.

Complaint One:
Upon arrival to the Marina in Cabo San Lucas, we phoned the Grand Mayan Resort, to ask if they provided shuttle/taxi services for visiting guests/ grupo mayan members. We were flattly told "No". They suggested the bus. After a long, hot and very uncomfortable bus ride, we arrive to find that there is not only one Shuttle van sitting in front of the resort, but TWO MORE Shuttle vans returning from where we had just come from!! Each less than half full!

Complaint Two:
Once finally reaching our desired destination, The Grand Mayan Resort in Los Cabos. We were looking forward to seeing the time-share suite that we would be staying in on our next visit. The lady at the concierge, was not only rude, but absolutely unwilling to provide a quick tour. She stated that we must be staying at the hotel to even view the rooms! Although, she did give us "One Day Pass" purple bracelets, that supposedly allowed us to be 'on' the premises.

Complaint Three:
Finally, we asked if it would be ok to use the pool for about one hour, since we had a cruise ship to return to by 4:15pm. The concierge lady said that since the resort was at 80% capacity, it would not be possible for us to use their pools. Even though there was only about 20 people (max) in the entire pool area! So, we asked if we could use their beach, she said absolutely yes. Except, she forgot to mention that not only is swimming dangerously life-threatening, it is also prohibited! Two beach security guards had to warn us after they spotted us in the water!

Overall, the hotel is magnificent. The grounds, beautiful. Yet our experience left us very disappointed and upset at the fact that we send money to a company that would treat it's members so discourteously.

REGRETTABLY,
Emily Franco
Grupo Mayan Member

Stayed: September 2008
5  Thank lp4n6grl
Reviewed 19 September 2008

First off, I'd like to say that I have an RCI Timeshare, so even though I'm not a Mayan Owner, I'm still an owner in some sense and I expected WAY more from this vacation.

I had a 2 Bedroom suite reserved, with which I was promised an ocean view. The Suite I got was on the first floor, in a corner, across from the restaurant (I could hear the music EVERY night until 11 and it started EVERY morning at 7am) I GOT NO SLEEP! I was also right next to the elevators, so I had the wonderful experience of listening to them ding every couple of minutes throughout the morning and night. I'd also like to point out that I was a female traveling ALONE. I travel alone alot, and I always get rooms higher up on safer levels because of it, it's just common sense. Not that the resort wasn't safe, but the truth was, someone literally could have walked up to my balcony and stepped into my room. I was not comfortable with that. When I asked to be moved to a different room, I was told that the hotel was booked, which I came to find out on the day I left (2 days early because I couldn't take it anymore) that they in fact were NOT booked and I could have easily moved rooms, if I had "Kept Asking". Why should I keep asking?! It's their job to make their guests feel safe and I did not, why should I have to beg for my own safety and well being? I was in complete shock! But back to the "View" or lack thereof, this resort claims that all it's rooms have ocean views.... if you consider leaning over your balcony and stretching your neck out with a sharp turn to the right just to catch a glimpse of no less than a pie slice of the ocean, an oceanview then ok, this might be the hotel for you. And the music I had to listen to late in to the evening and early morning, was without a doubt the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with, imagine, you're listening to music, in a different language all night long, with no control over it, and it "can't be turned down". The only relief I got from this, was one night at about 10pm when the electricity went out (in the entire hotel!) I wasn't even mad, I was just happy that the stupid music finally went off!!!

The Service... Was mostly alright. The nicest person working in that hotel I came to know was my housekeeper, Imelda. She didn't speak a word of English, but by God did she ever try to communicate with me!!! We would play a game of charades every day to try to understand each other, she was hilarious, and she got a huge tip.

The Room Service Staff.... pretty much delivered your food as though they were being forced to, as if they had someone whipping them from behind, or it seemed that after they gave you your dinner, they were going to possibly run outside and throw themselves in front of a bus. They all acted like they were on the verge of suicide and your meal was interrupting they're depressive, maniacal and suicidal thoughts. Oops, my bad, next time I get hungry I'll wait until after you take your Prozac before I order. Another problem... they ask that you call them when you're done with your tray so that they can come pick it up... I am however, a slow eater and did not appreciate the 2 or 3 calls that I would receive, while I was still eating, asking me if I was done with my tray. Um, do you not have enough trays? Is that the problem, or do you just get a kick out of interrupting and annoying people while they're trying to eat?

Restaurant Staff... Was mostly pleasant, except for the creepy sous chef that always winked at me like a man driving a van with "Free Candy" written on the side of it... other than that I really have no complaints and they were actually quite pleasant. Food was decent, not worth the money though.

Outdoor Wait Staff.... Let's just put it this way, if you're really thirsty or hungry GET UP AND GET IT YOURSELF because your waiter, will NOT EVER be around when you want something. Ex. I told my waiter to come back in a half hour because I wanted to order lunch at that time, I DID NOT SEE HIM FOR AN HOUR AND 45 MINUTES!!! About 10 minutes AFTER I GOT UP AND GOT IT MYSELF... Then he/she (and this happened twice!) will get mad when you get it yourself because they were off doing lord knows what, and then punish you by once again, not being there when you need something. And when that happens, they will make sure that you SEE THEM, attending to other guests, but not ask you if you need anything, because of course, it's your fault that they weren't around when you needed something as simple as a bottle of water.

The Security... Overall seemed to be securing things, as I'm assuming that's what security people do... HOWEVER! I bravely decided to venture out at about 9ish one night, alone of course, but never leaving the hotel grounds. They make you wear this ridiculous wristband the entire time you're there because it's a "private resort" ok whatever... (btw the tanlines from it SUCK) Anyway, so as I'm walking around just enjoying the evening (far away from that horrendous music) I heard footsteps, and was barely able to turn around when a man grabbed my arm and started yell-asking me (yes I said yell-asking I don't know how else to describe it) entirely in spanish, which I don't speak a lick, hence the issue with Imelda, if I had a bracelet. I didn't mind him asking me about my bracelet, regardless of the language I would have understood eventually, but the forceful grabbing and yanking up of my arm was the part that I had the issue with. If my eyes hadn't been a little bit quicker (by recognizing the "Security" uniform) than my "Kick you in the Cahones Reflex" was, this man would have without a doubt been on the floor, maybe even having a brief moment with JesusCristo along the way. And seeing as how I don't know any bad words in Spanish to have called him, I simply took my own arm back, and walked off after he examined my wristband with his flashlight and of course shined it in my dark-adjusted eyes.

The Pool... is ridiculously shallow.. which I can understand because of the sheer size of it, I can only imagine how much water it consumes. It's not heated, which would be fine, if it wasn't so shallow and heated up so fast on it's own. NOT REFRESHING... It was 95+ everyday I was there, and this pool did nothing for me. I spent quite a bit of time during the day going back and forth from my room, just to sit in the AC.

Gift Shop... prices are ok, food most likely has been sitting there for awhile.. My efforts to greedily devour a Twix bar that I was craving were thwarted when I realized it was stale and hard as a rock, I cannot even begin to describe my disappointment with that experience. The Gift Shop Staff.... made me uncomfortable (as did the horribly rude and nasty creature working the stand near the pool) Both of whom would watch me like a hawk, the stand girl would actually follow me around the STAND, which has 1 side and like a quarter of a side and has the dimensions of a bathtub, and would be pretty much remain a few inches away from me the entire time, while I was trying to "shop" If she was afraid that I was going to steal something, I'm not quite sure where she thought I would put it, in my bikini? Or in the see-through beach "cover-up" I was wearing. I don't know, where would you have put it?! I considered putting the giant painted dinner plate in my bikini bottom, however, I didn't want to be known as the Woman with the flat [--], so I went back to my lounge chair, all the while feeling her eyes burning into me like Superman's X-Ray vision, checking me for stolen goods. The Women in the Gift Shop were not quite that bad, as they would not actually follow you around, but they did with their eyes, and with wearing pretty much the same outfit, give or take a pair of sunglasses, I'm not quite sure where their imagination was putting these potentially stolen goods either.

The Concierge was a sweetheart, I cannot remember his name for my life and I only spoke with him once, but he did not appear suicidal, as did the rest of the staff.

There was a woman there named Barbara, not exactly sure what she does, she was pleasant on my first encounter with her, seeing as she was originally from Brooklyn (Sticks out like a sore thumb by the way, you can't miss her) and I'm originally from NY as well, I thought I had maybe met someone that I could "talk" to if I needed something. Um...not so much. The minute I felt I could explain to her what a terrible experience I was having, she immediately turned pit bull on me, and got defensive. Oh no! Not her beloved Mexico! Her eternal Spring Break, don't you dare talk bad about that. Yeah, she's not very helpful if you have an issue, she's one of those, "The issue is you, you're the only one that has ever had these issues, so it must be you." Which is pretty much what she said to me in not so many words. Which is not the sort of customer service that you expect in a hotel such as this, of course neither was the rest of the%#@ that I experienced, but of course, it was just me....

Checking out.... I changed my flight so that I could leave early, I was exhausted from getting little to no sleep every night, I just wanted to go home and finish my vacation in my own bed. I checked out early, they made no attempt to ask me why. When they asked me to fill out a comment card, I obliged, but told them that it would not be a good review, and I was completely disappointed with the hotel... and she said..... "Oh, ok." SHE DID NOT ASK ME WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. She ran my credit card, and then told me to have a nice flight. And that was that. My nightmarish trip to paradise was finally over, and no one cared to even ask, or look into, or move my room, or turn the damn music off, or send a nice happy clown to deliver my food! NO ONE!

In closing... the hotel is beautiful, one of the cleanest I've ever been to... the people are luck of the draw... you either get someone you like, or you don't, you get treated like [--] or you don't. In my opinion... Go to Cabo, DO NOT STAY HERE.

Thanks for reading, this was really theraputic! Even though I have a feeling it will be taken down, disregarding the fact that this is probably the most honest post on this site.

-JB, CA

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
6  Thank MissJoey80
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We visited the Grand Mayan Los Cabos at the end of June 2008. We thought the resort was spectacular, but as with most resorts, it had its pluses and minuses. For instance, we loved the rooms. They were very clean and nicely decorated, except for the strange cat paintings, but who spends that much time in their room anyhow. The view from our balcony was incredible, the staff was very accommodating, and the food at the buffets was incredible and well worth the money. Some of the drawbacks for us were the depth of the pool, availability of recreational activities near the resort, and the lack of communication of activities at the resort. The pool was probably not more than 4 feet deep, and that’s being generous. For the size of the pool, we would have thought there would have been some areas that were deeper than the rest. The only recreational activities (boating, scuba diving, dinner cruises, etc.) that were available were located in Cabo San Lucas. I believe there may have been horseback riding available at the resort, but the horses that were kept near the resort did not look like they were very well taken care of. Most days the horses were tied out in the sun with little to no shade. The activities at the resort included card games, aqua aerobics, dance lessons, just to name a few. However, we had to ask at the concierge for a schedule of events. They were not provided when you checked in, and we wish they would have been so that more people would have attended.
As far as traveling to Cabo San Lucas is concerned, we were pleased to find that there are other ways of getting there besides a $35 cab fare one-way. A local told us about a bus that picks people up across the street from the Mega. I am not referring to the orange and white school buses that travel throughout San Jose Del Cabo. The bus that takes you to Cabo San Lucas is a charter bus, minus the air conditioning. The bus is either named Interbaja (green) or Suburcabos (blue and orange). It stops across the street from the Mega approximately every 5 to 15 minutes. It costs $2.20/person one-way. It will take you to the Marina area of Cabo San Lucas. There are plenty of activities located in and around the Marina.
We enjoyed the snorkeling and scuba diving adventure that we took with Blue Adventures. It costs us $130 for 2 scuba tanks and scuba gear, and snorkeling gear. Our excursion lasted between 2 to 3 hours, if I remember correctly. Blue Adventures is located next to RedRum Sportsfishing. If we had time we would have liked to have booked a fishing adventure with RedRum. They were really nice people.
Overall, it was a very nice trip, and we hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Capezio7
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Our family stayed at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo for a week in mid-June and had a wonderful, relaxing time. Any operational issues they may have had early after opening have been worked out.

Rooms are very nice and extremely clean- service twice a day ensures it. All balconies overlook a beautiful pool with gorgeous landscaping, and have a view of the Sea of Cortez. We had a 1 bedroom suite which provided more than enough room for 2 adults and 2 children.

The resort is immaculate. Everywhere you turn there are employees cleaning, landscaping, etc. I've never seen a resort better taken care of.

Employees are friendly and helpful. We arrived very early (7 hours before check in time) with sleepy kids. We weren't able to check in immediately, but the host worked hard to get us into the first available room, and to make sure that room was made available as soon as possible.

The resort was sold out when we were there, but we never saw a crowd. We were always able to find poolside chairs or a palapa when we wanted it. Poolside service was available, though a little slow at times. Food and drinks poolside were good, though a little pricey- but no more than other resorts we have visited.

San Jose del Cabo is a beautiful little town worth spending time in. Many good restaurants and shopping. "Downtown" is about a ten minute walk (for adults), or a $5 taxi ride away from the resort. We've been to the area twice now and tried several restaurants. The Tropicana remains our favorite, though you should really experience dining in some of the beautiful outdoor courtyards of some of the other local restaurants. We shopped at the "Mega" (20 minute walk/$5 taxi ride) for our breakfast foods, beer/wine, and snacks. Reminded me of a Super WalMart- anything you could need at a reasonable price.

Cabo San Lucas is about 30 minutes and $35 dollars away by taxi. It is much bigger, busier, and crowded. The nightlife is in Cabo, but for our family with small children (6 and 4), San Jose del Cabo was more our speed.

We look forward to going back to the Grand Mayan and San Jose del Cabo soon!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family