“Go elsewhere”

Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Manteca, California
“Go elsewhere”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed with a friend who has a timeshare. They want everyone to waste their vacation on the timeshare pitch. There is nothing to do at the resort. Only 2 restaurants on property, one which closes at 12:30. They have an offsite restaurant and golf course. One person in our party was eaten by mosquitos at the offsite restaurant. The slowest bartenders I've ever seen. It takes a good 30 minutes to get 1 drink. Don't know what the maids do but we ran out of toilet paper and had to call for some in the middle of the night. The little pools outside our room were mosquito breading grounds. The activities schedule is worthless. Don't believe what is printed on it or the fliers. Two papers said the same event was at different times. One said you get a discount if you pay in advance but there is no such discount according to the front desk. Don't get your hopes up about an event because it will be something else in the time slot. The tequila and wine tasting is only tequila tasting. Don't count on anyone knowing the answers as everyone passes the buck to someone else and no one knows the answer to your question. For example, asking the concierge if there is a voucher for the return ride to the airport gets you passed to reception who passes you to the travel agency, who tells you vouchers are only for those who attend the sales presentation. And, like another reviewer, our maid also left our door open such that it alerted security who tracked us down to ask if we knew if someone was in our room. The maid also left the sliding glass doors open, which we kept closed to deter mosquitos, which even the bell hop warned us were really bad and to not leave the doors open. We were told numerous times the resort was overbooked, yet it looked like a ghost town the entire week with no more than a couple dozen people at the pool at any given time. The hotel sits on a non swimmable beach with treacherous undertow. And the only weekly event is a poorly done fiesta with less than stellar food, the only peek being an open bar for $40USD. I would not stay here again and am leery to stay at any of their resorts. The location is also poor as there are limited options close.

10 Thank Jaime P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Chico, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Grand Mayan is a beautiful hotel! The staff were incredible, food delicious and pools amazing. The Mixology, Yoga and Black Jack classes were great fun too around the pool. Don't get the terrible hotel internet, the cafe and organic restaurant have free internet across the street. The city bus goes to San Jose for $1 directly from the hotel or to Cabos San Lucas for $3 from the Mega store though both ways is a nice walk. The only thing I didn't like at the hotel was the Fiesta buffet dinner ($40 where the food wasn't the quality of their menu food and drinks were watered down though they were delicious poolside).
The location is in San Jose which has an older, more relaxed crowd. The shopping in San Jose was much better without so many people yelling to get you in their business. All the big fun is in Cabo San Lucas and worth the trips into town, but it felt much safer to stay in San Jose.

Room Tip: We were in a first floor suite with a dipping pool. The room was perfect!
1 Thank Robin Y
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My travel plans in early June included a surprise destination birthday trip for my mother's 65th birthday. Because I had been to three other Grand Mayan properties (Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Maya), I decided to experience Los Cabos. I was told it was a smaller resort with outstanding customer service. I secured a 2 bedroom suite.

Upon arriving at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos on that Saturday, I was told that the master room was clean, but that the other bedroom suite was still being worked on. Not a big problem...that would allow us to go and grab a bite to eat. However, the resort manager – I believe he said his name was Miguel – came over and told us that they had overbooked, and that they needed the second bedroom in order to accommodate someone else. I told him absolutely not...that it was absolutely unacceptable. I paid in full for a 2 bedroom suite, and their overbooking was not my problem. He responded by saying that they would allow us to have wifi for free in the room and allow us to use the gym free of charge. Um, no, still unacceptable. I told him he needed to speak to someone else about giving up their room, because it would not be happening with me. He stood there looking at me like I would cave. When he realized that I would not accept the downgrade, he walked away.

After that debacle, there was still another part of the registration, and we were told that there would be a welcome tour the next day that shows us where everything is located at the resort, we would have a free breakfast, and we would be shown some updates on other Grand Mayan locations. It was further told to us (by Mayan staffer Mayra) that it was NOT a timeshare presentation, and that it would take no longer than 90 minutes. It seemed fine...plus, they were also going to provide some discounts (e.g., at their spa, 1000 pesos off of final bill, 10% discount of all meal & drink charges to room at check-out, discounts off of excursions, dinner certificate at an affiliated restaurant, gift bags). To ensure that we would show up for the tour, I was asked to leave a $20 deposit which I would get back at the end.

After we answered some survey questions about our vacation habits, we had breakfast with our 'tour guide' Alejandro. He was very nice, but when the 'tour' took a turn and headed towards a sales presentation, I kindly let him know that I was not looking to purchase anything...that I had just moved and was trying to sell my home in my former location. He said he understood. But the show went on, and another individual was brought into the mix...I believe his name was Manolo. I looked at my watch and saw that we were heading beyond the 90 minutes, so I stated my situation again. He said he understood, but he was still going to show me 'some numbers'. I said no, that I was not interested. He then pulled out the paperwork that I had signed, saying that I had to stay there and listen while he did his job...asked me in a rude and condescending manner if Alejandro had rushed us through our breakfast...commented that the 90 minutes didn't begin until after the breakfast. Well, the way he talked down to me sealed the deal. They may have thought that they were going to hold my mother and I hostage for another 45-minutes of our vacation, but I was not in the mood. I told them that we were leaving to go and enjoy our vacation, and they threatened that if I did, I would not get the perqs that I was to receive. At that time, I could care less, so we got up and left. After a few minutes, Alejandro came running after us, and said that they were going to allow us to receive the perqs. Note: We talked to an elderly couple at the pool and they missed an entire day of their vacation going back and forth about the sales presentation...they literally harassed them into submission to accept a 'deal' and then failed to honor their word at the end of the day. I hope the couple's attorney is able to get them out of the crooked deal.

Upon enjoying a lovely day of walking on the beach and laying out at the pool, I returned to my suite only to find the door OPEN. Yes, I said OPEN. The maid left my door open. My heart was racing, as I hoped that none of our personal items had been STOLEN due to the absolute NEGLIGENCE of the Grand Mayan maid that cleaned our rooms. We looked around, and nothing appeared to be stolen...and it was a good thing that we were using the safes in the room to lock up our cash, personal materials, and jewelry. I called the front desk to alert them to the door being open, and they sent up someone to scan the door reader to see who the last person was to use the card key scanner. Of course, the evidence revealed that it was indeed the maid. An apology was provided, and that was all. They just did not seem to realize how grave this mistake was – even if nothing was missing from the room.

Remember the gift bags? We went to get them on Sunday. There were two ladies in front of us, and we saw that they received two bags. When we asked for our bags, we were told they were out, and to come back on Monday to receive. On Monday we went back, and they would only give us one bag. So we went back to registration and asked why we could only get one bag when we saw them give another pair two bags. After some back and forth, a call was made and we finally received a second bag.

Remember that 10% discount of all meal and drink charges I mentioned? Well, at check-out time, they did not want to honor that for any drinks charged during happy hour. Once again, I had to challenge them. I was not going to rollover and accept more ridiculousness from them. Happy hour is pretty important, so they should have been crystal clear about what meals and drinks would not be covered when promoting the perqs of attending the 'welcome tour'. In the end, the happy hour drinks were given the 10% discount.

We decided to use our dinner certificate on Thursday at Il Forno di Gio. A Grand Mayan shuttle took us there (it is not at the resort, but affiliated with the resort), and we arrived only to find out that they were out of ribeye steak and lasagna. Who operates an Italian restaurant and runs out of lasagna? SMDH...

Long story short (because I could include a few more observations), if you end up at Grand Mayan Los Cabols and they tell you it is just a welcome tour, they are LYING. If you feel that something happening is not fair or just, CHALLENGE them. They expect people to rollover and do nothing. And I am not just posting to Trip Advisor...I completed their official survey at the time I checked out.

23 Thank Elle43228
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Mexico's Baja Peninsula continues to be an excellent choice for California travelers; reliable weather, short flights, and lost of Hotels, Condo choices.

For our latest relaxing week, we selected The Gran Mayan Hotel, small size, great pools, spas and incredible friendly staff. The place is quiet, with hardly any in-house activity. An acceptable but not exceptional breakfast buffet, a good pool bar and poolside restaurant is all they have to offer. Be aware that this particular Grand Mayan is a sales place magnet to attract buyer to the Vida Vacation Resorts Group. Like almost all similar locations you will be approach (sometimes unnecessarily persistent) by sales representatives. JUST SAY NO. My advise, if you are considering Condos or Timeshares, is to hang around the pool and ask other visitors if they are Owners and what has been their experience. This advise is good for any other similar resort.
In Mexico, the sales pitch starts right at the Airport with all kind of offerings. Refuse them all, sometimes they are not legitimate representatives of the Resorts they pitch.

We used the Grand Mayan just to relax, catch up with our reading, soak in the sun and indulge with drinks and food (very pricy). Go to the Market, stock with breakfast items, have breakfast in the wonderful balconies, have lunch by the pool and go to sleepy San Jose or hectic Cabo San Lucas for great dinners.

The place is children friendly and we are please to report, all the little "stinkers' behave lovely.
No swimming beach, which is the norm in Cabo with one or two exceptions. Plenty of side tours/activities if you so desire, from fishing to adrenalin Zip Line rush thru canyons.

A final tip. Look on this site or others and rent directly from Owners but better deals

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. Northern wing good for early morning sun. South side good if you like su...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Flyingdude
calgary,canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

this is a small scale resort compared to the other mayan palaces,very limited restaurants,in fact the main was closed night,leaving you the only option to go to the snack bar by the pool,"RIDICULOUS",everybody goes into town at night for dinner which is across the street from the resort,some better deals are had there than spending your money at the resort,the pool area is very nice,nice beach,but not suitable for swimming due to unpredictable surf,very quiet resort if you just want to chill and kick back,the rooms are also very nice and deco comtemporary

Room Tip: ocean view or pool area facing
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jack123156
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Got a deal through RCI for a week at the Grand Mayan in Los Cabos. Now we know why. The entire resort is in existence to sell time shares. The resort has a nice layout with the rooms facing the pools and the gulf but the only restaurant in the place is at the pool except for a breakfast buffet that caters primarily to time share sales. Two large spaces in the hotel which could be nice restaurants are devoted to time share sales. Luckily, the town of San Jose is a short walk or $5 cab ride away with great restaurants. We found the wait staff around the pool to be friendly and accomidating but inside the hotel was a time share feeding frenzy. I understand the outside pools not being heated but even the tubs in the spa were cold. As we were not owners we had a studio room with not even a coffee pot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BertnPatti B
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

In late April, we stayed at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos for the third time. Once again, we had a wonderful relaxing vacation at this location, the smallest of all the Mayan resorts. It is certainly our favorite among all of the Grand Mayan resort locations in Mexico. The staff couldnt be nicer and more helpful. The location, about a mile or so from the downtown square of Cabo San Jose is within walking distance (or a cheap taxi ride) of several really good restaurants for lunch or dinner. We ate out every day and only used the PeriQ restaurant (good) the day we were leaving. The pool area is very nice, and finding a place to lounge is much easier than the other larger Mayan locations. The happy hours around the pool are great and the pool service was excellent. We also always did the evening happy hour at the Lounge Bar and the views of the ocean at sunset are most enjoyable. The Lounge bartender (who also brought you your drinks) was outstanding with his friendly service. The grounds are always amazingly clean and our nicely furnished room had a great view of the pool and ocean area. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Upper floors have the better views and dont get a room anywhere close to where they hold the weekly...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family