“Great Hotel Layout and Location - Some Needed improvements!”

and 1 more site!
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Just returned from Cabo and this hotel after being there with my family of four, my parents and my sister and her 19 year old and three year old and her husband. The location is great and very close to town. We took a taxi for 5$ into town or the local bus for 8 pesos per person which makes it much cheaper. Takes five minutes.

Lobby is decorated very oddly I thought, but the pool and outside area is beautiful. The bellmen and waiters around the pool were outstanding and very helpful. So was our cleaning lady Ramona who did a great job!!!

DO NOT BOOK any trips through the concierege. They haven't been on many of the tours and therefore don't have the expertise to properly suggest the tours. FURTHERMORE, DO NOT BOOK AN ATV TRIP!!!!!! We were having a great trip until my husband and nephew went on an ATV tour thru MOTOSOL!!!!! They were pressured to go faster than they wanted. My husband got left two times and couldn't see anyone in front of him, as he was out in the middle of no where. My nephew crashed his ATV and was thrown 15 feet. Broke arm and leg and had to be flown by air ambulance to San Diego where he underwent six hours of surgery. Could have been even worse my husband says.

They are only heating two of the smaller and more shallow pools, which worked perfectly for those of us with small children. But the majority of the pools are freezing cold at this time of year. Also, it really does cost about $12 to do a load of laundry, as I had read on other reviews.

Beds are fairly hard, but if you complain they can bring a styrofoam waffle and put below your mattress.

I suggest going with some pesos because changing american dollars is difficult. We ordered some thru our bank before we left and were glad we did.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank bentleyandzoesmom

Reviewed 6 January 2011

We spent a week at the Grand Mayan with a friend who got the week by trading her RCI timeshare. First, a word about San Jose del Cabo. It's a LOT more sedate than Cabo San Lucas down the road. On top of that, the town (and the hotel) were virtually deserted when we visited. So, plenty of peace and quiet, with lots of shopping and good restaurants in San Jose which is an easy 20-minute walk from the resort (one evening, we did encounter some stray cows and a bull but all ended well). Our 1 bedroom was large and easily accommodated the 3 of us (with privacy for all). The beds were a bit hard but tolerable, the pillows a bit too firm. The kitchen (which lacks an oven) is intended for breakfast and cocktail time, not a lot of cooking. Water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom sinks is much too strong. Off the bedroom, we had a deck with a view of the ocean (and the sunrise, which was a plus). We sampled one Sunday brunch at the resort, which was OK but not great. 2 of us sampled the services of the spa and fitness center and had a great experience. EVERYTHING at the Grand Mayan is extra and you can only pay with credit cards by charging to the room, no cash. Speaking of pesos, the exchange rate at the resort is no bargain. Use ATM's in San Jose del Cabo. The time share pitch at Grand Mayan was not quite as high-pressure as at other spots in the Los Cabos area - they WILL take no for an answer. . All in all, it was a wonderful experience, very relaxing and with excellent service. But be prepared for something strange when you enter the Grand Mayan: a pitch-dark passage which leads to the check in area, complete with huge statues of Mayan gods weirdly-lit. It might scare the kids!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank schmidbo
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This resort, located at walking distance (20 minutes) from downtown San Jose' is one of the smallest Grand Mayan we have visited, therefore the services and activities within the resort are limited. Only one restaurant for dinner (quite expensive) that transforms itself in a bar and lunch restaurant during the day. One breackfast location (also expensive) and a lounge/bar for the evening. The travel agency also does not offer much and most tours originate in Cabo San Lucas, 25 miles away from San Jose'.
What's lacking in night life is abundantly compensated by the easy access to this quaint, clean, peaceful little town with great restaurants and friendly people. There you feel safe at any time of the day or night.
The resort offers a beautiful landscape kept always immaculate, good service all around, and a huge swimming pool that, in my opinion, is the best feature of the Grand Mayan. If you are looking for relaxation, sun, beach, pool and good foods, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank psolferini
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I bought a studio junior suite for one week through HSI to supplement a 2-week stay in Los Cabos. The first week I stayed at Villa Del Arco, a fine resort in its own right.

Check-in was smooth at Grand Mayan , very friendly staff and I felt it was a well-maintained property. The one issue I have with resorts in Mexico is the sound-proofing is not very good, so I could hear the neighbors talking and scraping chairs on the floor , as well as slamming cupboard doors shut. This is not a problem exclusive to Grand Mayan , I have observed this in almost every resort around the Cabo area. ( And I have stayed in many places in Cabo ) So , overlooking this fact , I would say I had a very comfortable stay in a good location ( it is not near Cabo San Lucas, but closer to San Jose Del Cabo )

It is a pretty relaxing and mellow area and I actually recommend it over downtown Cabo , unless you are in the party scene. There is plenty to do around the Grand Mayan, you can stay on-site for relaxation and good food or venture out to a host of good places in and around San Jose Del Cabo and the streets are so safe and beautifully landscaped.
You can really walk anywhere , it may take awhile , but why not enjoy the great views in all directions and soak up the sunshine? It is definitely an area you would not mind living in , all year round.

The following staff deserve to be mentioned for their courtesy and professionalism =
Karla , Joshua , Juan Carlos , David , Daniel , Oscar , Edgar. Each one of these people went out of their way to help me in one way or another. They are exemplary staff and display the best of what Mexican hospitailty has to offer.

As well, Gabriela was an outstanding housekeeper for the room and a really nice lady.
The room , while having a bed that is perhaps a little too rigid for my preference , was large and well-furnished. Gabriela did a fantastic job. They also have turndown service at night.

And the bonus was the whirlpool / jacuzzi in the bathroom. Few places offer this , unless you are in a very high-end property , ie : The One and Only Palmilla. I was impressed with the bathroom layout , the spacious shower and the amenities.

While the junior studio suites do not offer a kitchenette facility , I felt the other positives made up for it , and I just ate out for my meals without a problem.

As a final note to this review: I have to mention the fact that I encountered difficulty with the OPC's in Cabo San Lucas. An OPC is a resort marketing representative who works on the street to lure potential new timeshare customers to presentations/sales pitches in exchange for some gift. They are usually associated with a specific resort and , while I dod not have a problem with any OPC who worked for Grand Mayan, I did get harassed quite seriously by other OPC's that were aggressive and rude. One gentleman actually made some threatening remarks to me , when I declined his offers and I have never had that happen before. I won't mention the details , but I did turn in a report to the Grand Mayan about it, and they said they would follow up on it , even though it was not their employee.

This experience made me think twice about returning to Cabo because , as mentioned earlier, I have never had this happen , and expect to be treated with respect as a tourist. I would like to feel safe and I actually was quite apprehensive about this encounter and , yes , it did diminish my vacation experience. I am not responsible for helping anyone make their numbers that are in the timeshare business and will not feel the least bit guilty about turning them away , as they often try to make you feel.

I think it is time the City Officials became aware of the negative impact to tourism that the aggressive OPC's create and take some action to mitigate the harsh reality of this ongoing problem.

I recommend the Grand Mayan and give the place a complete thumbs-up rating.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank travelingwilbury2008
Reviewed 3 December 2010

12-3-10...If you like a great room and lovely grounds to look at, this is your spot. If onthe other hand you like to swim go somewhere else. They told all of us that the heaters were broken and every single guest was upset. As it turns out we made friends with one of the managers and theyshared that it was just too expensive to heat the pools. Ok, so we decided to go to the beach and learned that it was not a swimming beach due to undergoes and bad currents. Ok, so beingthe eternal optimists we decided tostay in shape and just walk the beach. The horse riding place is right next door and they do their beach rides for the tourists on the beach andthe horses go where they need to go and SO many people walking the beach ended up with horse poop in their toes. Yuck... The rooms are pretty and the staff is very nice. The constant timeshare stuff all around you 24/7 gets a bit much. Highlight of thetrip? Dinner on our last night last night at habanero.

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank joyjoyjacobs
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We visited the GM on a sales presentation deal. We have attended many in the tourist corridor over the years. This one started in the usual and cordual manner with small talk and then a good meal. The lead lady was always very nice but the course of being passed off to others get very ugly. At one point after more than twice the amount of time that the presentation was supposed to take I asked quite loudly to be allowed to leave. The person with us at that time was quite a thug in character and said that if I didn't settle down he was going to bring in security. I stood up and said to the room full of other groups of frustrated people that they probably all wanted to leave as bad as we did. With that the entire room nodded agreement and stood up in support. The management at that point had no choice but to have us all escorted out. Promised gifts were severely cut back. The round of golf that had been promised, I was told had to be used at that very moment or not at all, etc. We felt lucky to get out with our lives, quite seriously it was a very threatening experience. Beware!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank hostagetwo
Reviewed 24 November 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo with another couple in a two bedroom unit. The rooms are very large and appropriately furnished except for the kitchen which was a bit sparse since we do a lot of our own cooking (gluten intolerance). We mostly read and relaxed around the wonderful pool system. Like all the Grand Mayans, the resort was very well maintained with outstanding staff. We especially liked the spa, and they have a wonderful fitness center we should have used more!
We either walked into San Jose (15-20 min, walk, layed back atmosphere) or used the local bus system. Shopped at the nearby Mega Market and took a taxi ($5) with groceries back to the resort. Took the express bus one day into Cabo San Lucas for sight seeing (too busy for us) and a sunset cruise (Cabo Escape). Beautiful scenery (famous arch rock, etc) and sunset, food was OK, but too many 60 plus people dancing like they were 21! Also went tuna/dorado fishing one day in a small 22 ft. Panga - had a fantastic time and brought fish home with us.
Although we are Grand Mayan owners, we have never been able to book Cabo through the Mayan system as we can only make reservations 6 months in advance. I'm sure if we bought an additional package, we could reserve 12 months out - they always have something new to sell you! We booked a week at Neuvo Vallarta and traded it through San Francisco Exchange for Cabo. Did the typical owners update (i.e., timeshare presentation) and they offered a lot of things that we were not interested in.
Overall it was a great experience, but we prefer the Grand Mayan at Neuvo Vallarta as it has a lot more to offer.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple