“Mixed feelings”
Review of Petit Masala

Petit Masala
Cuisines: French, Indian
Description: We are closed for the summer. Thank you for contacting us. Send us an email for any event catering events Petit Masala
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The food is good, but there are basically no choices. There is a vegetarian set menu and you can go for chicken if you wish, but you cannot choose how you want it. I got a garlic butter chicken dish that was very disappointing, nicely spiced but nothing i would expect from an authentic Indian restaurant (which it is!) I believe it's rather overpriced considering it is a set menu. Beers are imported, and again, while nice, they are awfully expensive (150 pesos a 33cl bottle, usually you'll pay between 20 and 30 pesos for a bottle of the very good local brands) Also, service is very slow. I had to wait for about 20 minutes between appetizers and entree even if i was the only person eating at the time. On the plus size, the owners are lovely and the place is very neat. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If I could give this restaurant more than 5 stars I would. This was by far our favorite dining experience in a very, very long time. We discovered Petit Masala somewhat by accident. They are a hidden gem behind an art gallery. The setting was beautiful! The food was delicious! Everything we tasted just blew us away. As a vegetarian family we had found a place where we had choices. They even have vegan dishes. The flavor of everything was incredible! We were so glad to have found them. Important note: they will be closed until October for the slow/hot season.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Petit Masala's fragrant flavours, authentic spices, and charming courtyard setting in the back of Leah Porter's Casa Dahlia Galeria will intoxicate you and seduce you into coming back for more. The only downside is it's not open on weekends, so get your fill of samosas, mint chutneys coconut lime margaritas, and other delectable delights during the week, and of couse Thursday night at ArtWalk.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We live in San Jose del Cabo 6 months out of the year and would eat here twice a week if possible, but unfortunately are rarely open when they say they will be. On Thursday night this last week we went and despite their add that says they are open from 2-10 pm, we know from the owner that they really open at 6 pm. We went at 6:05 pm and were told by the little girl behind the counter that they were not opening until 6:30 pm. So we went across the street to La Lupita which was swarming with customers. The today we went for lunch and again, they were not open. The food is amazing, but they are rarely open when they say they will be and have such few tables that we are very frustrated with this restaurant. If they had a better location where they could accommodate more people, had all the dishes on the menu available, had better and more wait staff available, and actually were open like a normal restaurant:12-10 pm, they would crush it. Not sure why they pay so little attention to the comments listed here or the ones we give them in person. Wish they could get it together so we can enjoy their food more often. We are starting to think we shouldn't bother trying to go there, since they are so haphazard in their business practices.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

I have just come back from 3 weeks in Los Cobos, the last two in San Jose del Cabo. I went to Petit Masala twice, once by myself and then I took my brother out for his birthday.The first time Rahim and Alaysia remembered me from last year. Papadums are served with 3 dipping sauces, a red sauce, green sauce (coriander?), and a chutney. The first time it was pickled beets and second was picked radish.. All the sauces were great, but the beets were outstanding. Had vegetable somasas both times that are just the right size and the taste is how a somasa should taste. It comes with a nice tamarind sauce. We also had the pakoras, both onion and chick pea. Another great dish. The pakoras are light and not oily, Very tasty. For the main course I had the chicken tikki masala both times and my brother had the shirmp tikki masala. What a fantasic meal. I know there is a probably a basic sauce, but you would never know it comparing the shrimp and chicken dishes. Two totally different dishes with differernt fresh spices. The shrimp were plump and plentiful. The chicken was also plentiful and tender. I don't know what spices Alaysia uses but she is a true artist, her food was fantastic. My brother was very impressed as we both had to walk off supper. When ever I am talking to people down there or I know of people heading down I am always telling them if they like Indian food or want to try it, Petit Marsala is the place to try. I tell them the owners are super nice and know there menu and are very helpful. I am already planning to visit Petit Masala on my next visit to San Jose del Cabo.