“A quick pint”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in Hope Cove for 3 nights and called in here one afternoon after returning from a coast walk. I had a cider, my partner had a pot of tea. Friendly service, and a nice view.

2  Thank k r

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch on Mother's Day. It was a gloriously sunny day so we sat on the terrace which has a great view overlooking Hope Cove. We just wanted something light to eat so had a ham and cheese panini and my husband had the crayfish and prawn sandwich, both served with fries and salad. The ingredients were really fresh and the ham was proper ham hock. They also did a panini for our son who didn't want a big meal. Great food and service with a fantastic view!

3  Thank Daniell
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The sign outside encouraged us in on a brilliant cold frosty morning. We had just got off the bus from Malborough and saw
"Come in we don't mind muddy boots"
What a great welcome we got, even for just a coffee.
Lots of encouraging information about the walk and a lovely coffee. Would certainly stay here next time we are down this way next.

1  Thank burtoncle
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Came here for a cream tea. I thought it was pretty good - the scones were huge and you got two, but the price reflected this and I thought it was a bit steep at £6. In fairness you do get a nice view (certain tables outside). Service was not overwhelming, cream teas for 4 all just plonked on the table on a tray (i.e. cups etc weren't laid out for us) which I'd expect somewhere like this. I think the service inside was better, though I think orders had to be at the bar, not waitress service. Maybe this I only because we were outside. Don't know.

I wanted a bit more for my money, but in all, it's a nice place in good surroundings.

1  Thank Cazzachameleon
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The restaurant was chosen for a celebration dinner based on the reviews in tripadvisor but did not live up to expectation.
The starter, a crab tian was tasty although would have been improved by an accompaniment of toast or bread.
The steak I ordered was cooked to my instructions but was a poor cut of meat, was very chewy in parts and a third of it was indedible. When this was mentioned to the waitress, she appeared completely disinterested.
It may be that because it was a quiet evening the chef did not want to go to much trouble; the mashed potato had clearly been reheated and the dessert of banana and date sponge had the rubbery outer coating of a sponge reheated in a microwave.
All in all, the Sun Bay bore no resemblance to the reviews we had read and we will not return.