“Six course meals at the Cottage!”
Review of The Cottage Hotel

The Cottage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hope Cove
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Six course meals at the Cottage!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am in severe danger of running out of superlatives to describe the Cottage Hotel and everyone that works there! My wife and I returned for a weekend trip in late February 2014 and enjoyed a simply fantastic stay once again. We had a great room with a simply wonderful view out over Hope Cover and the surrounding area, all of the meals we enjoyed were excellent, the service was fantastic and every member of staff we encountered could not have been more helpful. This hotel really is something special and represents a great opportunity to enjoy wonderful service in a wonderful location with an atmosphere that is fast disappearing amongst the deluge of hotels and pubs in the south West that change hands every five minutes and steadily lose whatever heart and appeal they might have had. I fervently hope that the Cottage never changes and I know now that my wife and I have found a hotel which we will return to, year after year.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are sublime.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A really wet and windy weekend in February, the 1st weekend the hotel was open this year, but a pleasant welcome from all the staff, a superb eveing meal, all round good value for money.
We chose a balcony room with exquisite views, at least on the Sunday when the gale departed and the sun shone.
My only gripe, limited choice of beer and over-priced bottles of Peroni, but don't let that detract from an otherwise very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Prices vary but worth paying the little extra for views of the bay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank henspeckled
UK
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We visited during a chilly weekend in November. We had one of the balcony rooms with the amazing view over the cove.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and there was plenty of space even though the bed is massive. The bathroom is fairly small but there is a bath with a powerful shower.

We had cream tea and scones - the scones are massive so be warned!

The service was good too, attentive but not too intrusive and everyone seemed well organised.

As others have said if you want a modern boutique hotel this is not for you, but if you want a friendly, well run, traditional hotel then this is your place! Hopefully we will come back in the future.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are a must!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to The Cottage since I was a child. Now I am married and equally enjoy the hotel with my new family.

Every time we come we fine the rooms well kept with exceptional views toward Hope Cove, the food suburb and the staff friendly and attentive.

The hotel will not suit anyone looking for a modern boutique but if you are looking to find somewhere to have a traditional get away, then The Cottage is certainly for you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew B
Loddiswell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Yet again Will, Sarah & staff have done it again. We had a lovely evening meal with bed & breakfast. It's such a great place, with tea & cake on the terrace, followed by a short walk around the headland. The room had fantastic views towards Plymouth & Cornwall. All I can say is 'come on all you locals & visitor's, come & try this great hotel if not for a holiday just come for the locals night & sample the great food & friendly service.

Room Tip: We had room 218 & our friends had 223, both had great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Barcelona
Reviewed 26 November 2013

As a child we stayed several times at the cottage hotel with my family and grandparents. My memories were fairly vague but came flying back to me this summer! I took my husband and month old baby there on our way to Cornwall. It was fabulous! Quite a bit of nostalgia, maybe, but the staff made our stay perfect especially when they kindly moved us to a separate area for dinner, whilst our daughter bawled her eyes out, because we were terrified of bothering the other guests. So kind and nothing was too much of a bother for them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

What can we say...... As always a total delight to come back to such a freindly and well run family hotel. William and Sarah as ever welcoming and ever present. We came back this weekend to celebrate my birthday and there is no where I would rather have been. It is my second time but my fiancé has been coming here for the last 30ish years. Food is always fantastic, service exceptional . A truly beautiful location for a truly special occasion. Will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed November 2013
#4 of 8 in Salcombe
Thurlestone Hotel
Thurlestone Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone

Been to The Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!