“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hope Cove
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Lovely location, but not what I expected, the car park was small, but we were always able to park in it.
As you approach the front door there is a flat/room to the right....the curtains were always closed..looked like staff accommodation, but looked dreary...
The main lounge and dining room were excellent.....comfortable chairs...just a few dog hairs here and there...but there were a few dogs staying.
Our room size was adequate, but the bathroom was not to my liking...so small, the toilet roll was above your head,it was difficult to maintain a continuous temperature on the shower which hung off the wall,the shower was actually coming apart and the taps moved as you tried to switch them on, and the shower curtain stuck to you while you wee trying to negotiate the rest.The television was so high on the wall and so small that it might as well not have been in there.
Breakfast was good,served very well and you were not rushed.
We didn't eat in the evening as other guests had warned us off as it was expensive and not brilliant.
In the evening the hotel was staffed by quite young people, who were very efficient...but when asked for a Scotch and Ginger....one young fellow did not know what ginger was....and said they had none....but I discovered a day later there was some but he just didn't know...they also didn't know the procedure in a medical emergency....if anyone was on duty...who could help ..
We left a day early so losing a night's payment....but just could not cope with the bathroom anymore and the television....
I would not come back to this Hotel again...though Hope Cove itself was beautiful

Room Tip: Ask for a big bathroom
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SusanHartnett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

From the website this hotel looked perfect for a short stay. We were not impressed with the entrance from the car park and no one on reception when we arrived. We were shown to our room by a polite, young girl. Our room was small and although clean was very old fashioned, which normally is not a problem but it was the cheap mis-match of furniture and furnishings that I did not like. Very thin curtains on plastic rails, thin bath towels, plastic disposable beakers in bathroom, tired wallpaper, tiniest television high up in corner, a few inches from the ceiling. Do I sound like a grumpy old woman? Yes I do but when you pay £110 for a double room you expect a certain standard. We decided not to eat at the hotel that night and had superb meal and service at the Hope and Anchor Inn down in the village. Gutted to find that their rooms were £75 to £90 a night! We ordered full English breakfast which was fine. We couldn't lock our door and found a member of staff who showed us how to do it. You have to lock the door from inside then slam door shut so why not explain this simple system when being shown to your room. Again another moan about the ridiculous paper serviettes which were single ply!! I didn't even know you could buy single ply. I was very annoyed that a grease mark from my finger transferred straight through this very thin paper onto my trousers. Also What I had not realised was that dogs are allowed in all bedrooms. To be fair it does state this on the website but I had not read it. I don't think this is right and I think only certain rooms should be used for pets but that is probably why the hotel is popular. On arrival home the hitel had emailed asking for a review that would be put on their website. It will be interesting to see if my review goes on, I very much doubt it because all the reviews were very positive, how strange! Unfortunately we would never return here, it was just not worth the money. Many hotels in the area charge a similar price but we definitely felt let down with the whole experience.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemima
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Lovely location, but that is what you pay for. The cost of rooms is quite high even though they are small and dated, however look out the window and you cannot want for a better view.
The breakfast was great
The evening dinner poor and overpriced. I ordered a mixed grill £21.50! And I was not asked how I wanted my steak cooked, it was so tough it was inedible and so was the pork. When i complained the poor young waiter had no idea how to handle the situation and as such nothing was done. So had to get the cost removed from the bill the following day.
I would suggest eating at the hope an anchor just along the coast path. Good food at reasonable price with prompt service even though they were busy

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paul a
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We (my child and I) arrived late in the day and were very happy to be accommodated in a perfect room that would have happily slept 4 people.
The owner was extremely friendly and chatted to us as if we were old pals, so we felt very welcome indeed.
The terrace is a perfect place to have a pre-dinner drink while looking at the beaches and setting sun. We noticed that some people were having breakfast on the terrace too - a great place to start the day.
The breakfast was very good indeed, with locally sourced produce, very friendly staff, and relaxed comfy atmosphere.
Very good value for money all round and will definitely be back next time we are in the area - I especially recommend for families, but there were young couples there too and the atmosphere was good for all.
We'll also be trying the dinner menu next time as if the breakfast is anything to go by it will be fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bramley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We pretty much booked most of the Sun Bay rooms for our wedding in May and we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and flexible. We had a family room and were quite happy with the size and facilities offered.

We did make one suggestion to the owner and that was that she should consider black out blinds in the family rooms.

We enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location was lovely - but there are other equally or more lovely locations in the UK and £100 was, I felt, rather overpriced given our experience during my Daughter and my 1 night stay at the Sun Bay Hotel last week.

We were welcomed rather flippantly by the owner and then shown to our room which did look like the picture on the website however the picture was rather flattering and did not show the size of the bathroom which wedged into one corner of the room. I only just managed to fit my size 16 backside on the loo where it was positioned between the "wall" of the bathroom (cabinet) and the bath. The bathroom was really tiny, the grout around the basin was coming away and looked quite dirty, moving around in the shower was interesting as it was not possible to shower without being attacked by the shower curtain! The bedinen and towels were clean.

The wallpaper in the room was starting to peel off in places, the radiator could do with a lick of paint and the furniture was generally old and past its best

There was a single chair in the room and a tiny TV but we thought ah well.... let's go experience the delights of a cream tea.

We were unable to lock the bedroom door so I went to seek help from a staff member who was very helpful and who eventually figured out how to lock the door.

With that resolved, we went to the restaurant and ordered our cream teas - a traditional for my Daughter, a Savoury for myself @ £5.95 each. Two huge scones and a pot of tea each were delivered and my daughter enjoyed hers although the jam was more like very cheap tinned "jelly" which seems to be one economy too far given the price charged. The Savoury version was very unpleasant. This turned out to be a sweet scone with a bit of cheese on top melted and served with a pot of purple pickled onion "stuff". I had to request butter and managed to struggle my way through one of the scones but left the other. Based on the taste of the pickled onion "stuff" I'd bet this was returned to it's home to be churned out again for the next Savoury cream tea victim.

I had a business call to take at 7 pm but had ZERO mobile signal. I was advised by the owner that if I walked out the hotel down to the sea wall and stood by the little yellow sign, leaning out, facing the open sea, I could probably get signal from Vodafone. However I needed my laptop connected to WIFI at the time I took the call. It was suggested I tried Costa in Kingsbridge but I pointed out that they would likely be closed by 7pm. The solution offered by the owner was to sit in the small public foyer and get the other party to call me on the payphone.......

The helpful staff member left for the evening at which point the owner advised me that all trace of positivity had now left the hotel.......

My daughter and I drove into Kingsbridge and parked outside Barclays - I managed to connect to their free WIFI (thank you Barclays!) and I did my business call in my car using mobile with laptop.

We decided not to try the delights of the Sun Bay dining room for supper given our experiences thus far but did venture in for breakfast the following morning before we escaped.

The main point however is that I feel I was hugely overcharged for the room / overnight stay at this hotel. I would probably have been quite happy had I been charged £50 for the twin room we had. I would probably also have felt less irritated by the shocking savoury cream tea had I not been charged £5.95 for this too.

Our issue with the room was the price; we paid a lot of money for a very small and tatty room; because of the size of the room, bathroom and the extractor fan £105 was far too much money to pay

10 Thank AliMenegaldo
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here because they don't have an inflexible 2-nights only at the weekend like some of the other hope cove hotels, and we were only here for one night for a wedding in the town. However, the staff were so friendly and helpful, and the hotel was spotless and comfortable, with good food, that we'd go back here anyway. Great to fall asleep listening to the breakers on the shore after a moonlit walk back across the cliff path.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope Cove
Thurlestone Hotel
Thurlestone Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa

Been to The Sun Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!