“What a shame.”
Review of The Sun Bay Hotel

The Sun Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hope Cove
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had stayed at Sun Bay for work locally, luckily work had payed for the hotel and not myself! I can only describe the rooms as 'a retirement home' within the room you are kindly given soap that again I can only describe as being in a condom raper. The shower is tiny! To turn the thing on you have to do it directly at the plug! Breakfast I would equal to the little chef (not for me) the place is absolutely beautiful but unfortunately the actual hotel and staff really let the place down. For £110 I would expect ALOT more very overpriced for what you actually get.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Samueljlevy

Reviewed 12 August 2014

After years of camping or staying in a caravan at Hope Cove we decided that this year we'd treat ourselves and stay at The Sun Bay Hotel for 3 nights, even though it was £110 per night!!
We arrived on the Friday at 12:30 but were told that check in wouldn't be available till 2pm so decided to walk down to 'The Cove' and have some lunch (very nice café)
It was 2:30pm when we went back to the hotel and the guy behind reception told us check in wasn't till 2pm so we'd have to come back - we told him what the time was and he went and got the manager. The Manager (Maureen) told us our room wasn't ready as one of the girls had phoned in sick. We had to sit in the bar area wet and cold after our long walk and wait till 3:30pm for our room to be ready. (This wasn't the chambermaids fault as she was working hard with no one helping) I asked Maureen if we'd be allowed a complimentary cup of tea whilst we waited and she said no. On check out we mentioned the late check in and she took £5 off our bill which paying for two rooms together worked out at £2.50 each.
The hotel rooms are very old fashioned and the bathroom was tiny - I think for the rates they charge per night the rooms should be a lot nicer and more modern. The breakfast was ok, no croissants or pastries though. The waitresses were very helpful.
Our friends also had a terrible stay and when they were telling Maureen the issues she was very rude - no customer care skills at all.
The hotel is in a lovely location and Hope Cove/Salcombe are beautiful places but next year we will be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Room 6 doesn't always receive the free wifi as its at the other end of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Unfortunately we were disappointed by the Sun Bay hotel. This hotel is extremely overpriced for what it is. It has huge potential, in a beautiful location - the beach is a short walk away and the scenery is beautiful. We didn't spend much time in the hotel so it was fine for us.The hotel does appear to have had some money spent on it as the initial impressions of the bar area were good. Unfortunately on our first evening staying in the hotel we sat outside having a drink in the evening and we were treated to the chef slagging off the manager of the hotel in a very loud voice and also talking in detail of his quite serious drug habit. Needless to say we were relieved that we didn't eat there! In the morning we were greeted by the chef shouting in reception with his bags packed - so at least he is no longer working there! The young members of staff were all very friendly and were trying very hard but unfortunately seem to lack guidance on good service, i.e they were clearing plates at breakfast before everyone at the table had finished eating. They did seem to be getting bossed around quite a bit being called in from outside clearing tables to do something else. There is no need for shouting across the bar area by the manager to the staff - not very relaxing! We also over heard some conversations regarding how late the manager had to stay the night before because there were still customers in the restaurant and bar, you would think they would be pleased to have people in there spending money! Our room was adequate for what we needed but the shower was useless - be warned it suddenly comes out scalding hot! If you turn the hot water down it then just becomes freezing cold, the water flow is greater out of a single tap.
We had lunch at "The Cove" cafe in hope cove which was very nice. If you like seafood and go into Salcombe then we would highly recommend eating at Boatswains Brasserie which has amazing seafood.
It was the way this place is run that seemed to let it down which is a real shame as it has huge potential to be something special.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Emma2588730
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and booked and paid for a sea view, this was confirmed on my booking paperwork. When I arrived I was allocated the smallest room in the hotel - I think -
( Room 1 ) this room had a tiny window that overlooked the car park. The only window that opened in the room was about 12" and so the room was very hot. The room was very basic, old and shabby with a toilet door that did not lock and mixer shower from the bath taps that either was scolding hot or freezing cold and dribbled out. A toilet that would only flush after about ten attempts. The smallest tv possible and a mirror on the wall that was so small you could just about see you face in it. The walls are so thin so you here every thing people do/say in this hotel too.
I complained to numerous people about my room and the sea view that I had booked, but was told that all the other rooms were taken and I could not change. This spoilt my time in Hope Cove as this was supposed to be a special few days away with my daughter before she moves abroad. I was told on checking out that it was because I had booked with ( Booking.com ) that I did not have a sea view and only if I book with the hotel direct I could be guaranteed a sea view. Be aware when booking this hotel !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Frances G
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I arrived at the hotel with my young eight year old daughter on Monday 4 August. The hotel is in a fantastic position overlooking the bay. We found the rooms adequate and very clean. We stayed for an evening meal which was very good. I found the service very good and not intrusive.

There was a good option at breakfast with a cold buffet and also a selection of hot meals, Full English etc. Again I found the service to be first class.

I had no complaints at all. We would definitely come back again. It felt a very relaxed atmosphere. I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lawnmower N
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having seen many older glowing reviews, we were a little worried about recent comments as we came to our booking time. Ok, the Car Park seems small but it accomodated all guests. The reception is not fully "manned" but someone responded to our bell very promptly and sorted everything quickly. The food and drink prices are on a par with local hostelries and our one try at the Hope and Anchor in the other half of the village was a bit of a scrum with a lot of dishes that had gone cold being sent back, it appeared. However, in fairness, it was a full holiday-season-Thursday. The three evening meals we had in the Hotel were of good-enough and interesting choice and were well presented. The breakfasts were fine with added haddock and kipper alternatives available. On the rare occasions there was a "wait" for any food, it was not excessive and we were in no rush.

We booked a sea-view room which was clean with comfortable beds, and we had no problems with "small bathrooms" or "cracked sinks". The shower temperature was variable at busy times but we just lightly-filled the bath - no problem (althought it may be an area to try to regularise to avoid excess criticism?) The toiletries were Eden ones (perfectly adequate for a 3-star?) and topped-up every day. They did offer plastic cups but we asked to take glasses up to the room and I would presume that, unless it was life-threatening, a guest could request and obtain most things. The only problems (apart from first impressions with towels missing and a wall TV at a jaunty angle, both easily fixed, but better to get right first time in future?), were TV limited to BBC (and lost one night totally with sticky digital signals) and the odd drop in an otherwise strong WiFi service.

The staff were young but keen to please and worked co-opeatively as a team, although some are still learning, but we all had to start somewhere. However, this is also a small country hotel, not a London 5-star.

Overall, it was nowhere as near as bad as recent reviews and no other inmates seemed to be unhappy. It appears that they deserve giving a chance but don't be afraid to correct fairly.

Room Tip: As others have said, try for a Sea view room to obtain the most from your visit.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoesBrigade
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We didn't stay here but elected to eat there on 31 July 2014. The location is great with a lovely view of Hope Cove, sadly the service does not match expectations. We had to wait for over an hour and a half to be served our food, which when it did arrive was smothered in butter, and the garlic bread clearly hadn't been near any garlic at all. The waitresses were two teenagers, pretty clueless though pleasant, I didn't see anyone in charge and when complained, any management around must have very quickly hid. Maybe its a nice place to stay and maybe guests get preferential attention, but our experience was very negative.

• Stayed: August 2014
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove
Thurlestone Hotel
Thurlestone Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone

Been to The Sun Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!