“another lovely lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Brede
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Northiam, United Kingdom
“another lovely lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

another lovely lunch at this friendly pubThe whole crab was beautiful as was the smoked haddock pie.
We have been many times and never been disapointed.

• Visited June 2014

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely traditional pub, excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Whilst on holiday and following recommendation 5 of us visited for dinner. Our starters were delicious and nicely presented on boards. Main courses included fish, chicken, steak and scampi. All were excellent. The steak was particularly tender and very tasty. Unlike previous reviewer I liked the presentation of chips in cups/enamel dishes - maybe it's a matter of personal taste. Our desserts were the only dishes which were a little disappointing. Icecream at £5.50 is pricey, but OK if presented beautifully. I had pistachio ice-cream which was lovely quality but 3 scoops piled into a soda glass was a bit dull.( No garnish of mint or a strawberry or some chopped nuts.) Overall we enjoyed our meal.

• Visited May 2014
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
“Not one of the best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I do not usually write bad reviews as this is so discouraging for the owners, and are thought to be out of spite from other local traders, however after a visit to this Inn on 14 May 2014 I was to say the least disappointed. The Inn itself is cosy and inviting, a large garden with chickens wandering loose. Beer and wine a good selection and well looked after, but the food!!! An interesting menu with attractive sounding dishes, but they do not live up to expectations. I was a guest, together with my wife, of a local businessman and his wife. The first disappointment was a dish we had been recommended to try was "only do that in winter" Oh and the smokie is off! I settled for mussels in cream and garlic with chips and crusty bread. Supermarket mussels, oven chips-undercooked-and supermarket bread. My host had Chicken al forno with chips, same comment about the chips but chicken dish acceptable. Must mention that my chips were served in a chipped enamel dish and my host's in a cup!! My host's wife had overcooked and cold cod with the same awful chips. The only winner was my wife who had rabbit, generous portion, and well cooked. Three sweets were better quality, although the crumble was again served in a chipped enamel dish. I opted for a cheese board, had not been left at room temperature for long enough. I hope this was an exception, I'm grateful I didn't pay, I cannot seriously recommend this establishment to anyone with a discerning taste.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kenneth T
Chichester, United Kingdom
“A lovely country pub/restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

A family run restaurant with a very good menu. I really enjoyed the pan fried skate wing followed by ice cream and chocolate brownies, also one of the best bread and butter puddings we have ever seen.

• Visited April 2014
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
“Very tasty food home cooked.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have eaten here a couple of times now. It's a cosy little pub with friendly staff. The menu is interesting and for me, who is quite fussy, there were quite a few choices offered on their special lunches menu. Good service, good food. I would rate it definitely one of the best pub meals in this area. Sunday is a carvery... which you may turn your nose up at, but its not like that at all. Once again fresh and tasty. None of that revolting cheap meat which I have seen presented shamefully in other establishments in my area of St Leonards, E.Sussex and surrounds. So if you are looking for a nice little pub out in the country, head to Brede, and also book, as it tends to be busy.

• Visited March 2014