“Poor Management!!!!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Black Diamond
Black Diamond Hotel
Calgary, Canada
“Poor Management!!!!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I work in the area from time to time and have eaten at this restaurant a few times. The food is fair and the service is good. This evening I went for supper and they had two specials ribs with fries and another one with mashed potatoes. I asked if I could substitute the fries with mashed and said I would pay for any difference. The waitress apologised and said they didn't like to substitute anything, but she would ask. Four people assembled and discussed if we could have mashed potatoes instead of fried potatoes at length. Then another person was brought into the conversation from the office. She and our waitress returned to tell us no because it was a special. (The other special had mashed potatoes) We ordered the rib special as is....surprise. I ate about 4 of the ribs and asked to have it packaged so I could take it to work to eat as I was working the night shift and couldn't stomach much at that point. Our waitress then apologised and said that they couldn't allow take out as it was in house only???? This was not an all you can eat rib special. However, we noticed one of the managers walking out with a bag of take out food and ice. Wait staff was embarrassed for their inability to provide us with minimum industry standards. Servers are clearly hobbled by the abnormal management policies.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Nimdrill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
calgary
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Went for lunch as my sister had just moved in down the block. Basic pub style food, but tasty, and big portions! I ordered the chicken ceasar wrap with fries. Could only finish half it was so filling! Sister and mom both got the special Club sandwich. It's a regular menu item, but has lots of different kinds of meat on it. Both were happy, but not overly impressed. One came out cold. We also each ordered a tea before lunch and were each served our very own tea pot. This was nice as we were each able to enjoy a couple of mugs of tea without having to order another cup. The service was pretty good. Our waitress was friendly, and happy to answer questions regarding the hotel rooms. She had said yes when I asked to see one (to possibly stay over on christmas) but when she went to get a key, came back saying that she hadn't realized that all rooms were still occupied. (only about 12 rooms) This wasn't a problem for me, as it turns out they are closed over christmas. One other waitress did seem a bit rude, she and my mother almost colided (both not watching where they were going) and she just gave a snarky look to my mother and moved on. A quick apology, or making sure everyone was okay would have been nice. However, this wont stop me from going again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sarahjane84
Lundbreck A.B.
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were a party of three for lunch which cost only $42.00. I had a French dip which was awesome and very flavourful with original style onion rings (battered)! The guys had clubhouses with ham,chicken,roast beef and BLT. Service was good with huge portions of food. I recommend this CAFE!!!! We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Black Diamond Hotel has to be the worst Saturday afternoon experiences I have ever had. I will in the future and also recommend that you too stay away from this establishment. We were in the bar for a few hours to have a couple of drinks, some nachos, and bet a little on the horses. The nacho chips we received were cold and when we sent them back to be warmed; it was the end of the world to our waitress. It’s at this point our Saturday afternoon went bad we didn’t get a smile or talked to it was just “another”? Overall a very bad attitude and very poor public relations from start to finish. When we received our bill, I had been overcharged by one beer and my girlfriend by at least 3 Caesars. When we questioned the bill my girlfriend was told not to drink so much and she would remember drinking that much. After the manager had a look through our receipts she threw the receipts, while telling the waitress to deal with it and they ended up on the floor, she then informed us we would be paying the full bill. Here is a good laugh for ya, another unsatisfied customer looking for service was the one who picket these receipts off the floor and handed them to my girlfriend she was then told she would no longer be served ever moving forward, and that’s all good today in my mind as they are not going to get the opportunity to rip us off again. At that point we left in total shock really, I returned a week later as the situation bothered me; I was also owed for a horse betting receipt I could not get cashed the day we were robbed. When I returned I had a talk with the manager again as well as someone I was told was the owner. The manager outright lied to my face and the owners face about what really went on the previous Saturday and told me she was standing by her girls. Please be warned the customer is never right just the staff here with the bad attitudes. My girlfriend and I have never been treated this way in the past, she has never been told she will no longer be served in a bar in her life and she drinks once a month if that. Disgusting is all I can say. I can not just walk away when I have been wronged, and standby and do nothing when my girlfriend was treated like garbage and with zero respect. I have managed to prevent a dozen or so people from going there this past weekend and spending their money based on our experience. I will continue to do so in the future as ask you to do the same.

Room Tip: There are many nice places to stay around The Black Diamond Hotel. I would suggest looking into one...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank stetsonsteve77

Travellers are raving about these Black Diamond hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We spent one night in the hotel. The room smelled like death - literally! When speaking to one of the bar staff after we checked out the next day, we were informed that actually a woman had hung herself in the room we stayed in the week before, and that she had been there for 3 days before anyone knew. This is the god's honest truth - the place is terrible!!! The pics on the website are NOT what the rooms look like at all! They need a REALLY good clean!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY THERE, AND I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE I LIKE!!!
We had a terrible nights sleep, as there was a live band on downstairs in the bar, and the music was permeating our room until after midnight. I guess the brawl outside the hotel was entertaining, for 2 minutes! The service in the restaurant was appalling too and the waitresses had bad attitudes. All in all, a BAD experience, which will NOT be repeated!

Room Tip: The only tip I can think of is do NOT choose a room at this hotel!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Okotoks
Harmony House B&B
Harmony House B&B
#3 of 6 in Okotoks

Been to Black Diamond Hotel? Share your experiences!