“Not a great stay the second time around???”

Macaroni Hill View Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Pomona B&B and Inns
Ventura, California
“Not a great stay the second time around???”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our first stay at the Macaroni Hill View Hotel back in July was absolutely wonderful! But, this recent second stay was horrible! We were ready to leave immediately after the first day, but toughed it out!
Upon arrival we were checked into room #11 and what a shock we had once we started to get settled in there??? In the bathroom there was a large dead cockroach on the floor next to the toilet which was NASTY! NOT YOUR TYPICAL SIZE COCKROACH EITHER!!! When we showered, we noticed there was a toilet bowl freshener hanging from the shower curtain rack, SICKENING!!! Oh, also no hot water? No trash bin at all in the room? The remote control did not work for the TV. Worst part of all, our second night in the room before bedding down, we noticed a COCKROACH had fallen out of the A/C unit vent directly above the bed and landed onto the pillow of the bed we were about to lay down on!!! DISGUSTING, since the roach had also spelled its GUTS all over the pillow! We had to switch over to the bunk beds in the room and sleep on the bottom rack and hope and pray nothing else would crawl or fall on us while we slept???
Truly, the management/owners need to press serious issues on hotel staff on maintenance, cleanliness and health hazards for the rooms. Even the microwave on the table on the second floor lobby area was not clean on the inside, but crusted with dried food? And that is something that is used on a daily basis for guest use? REALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!
The management needs to really focus on the issues at hand with the hotel rooms and really conduct a thorough inspection on a regular basis when the rooms are not occupied or before being occupied by guests.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for room # 8. Spacious and comfortable from our last trip there.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christoph67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Belize City, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent 1 night at macaroni View, it was already dark and we did not want to drive any further so we stopped there. There was no one at the reception, but the doors were open and the lights were on. I thought I heard someone but nobody came when I called. As we were leaving, a vehicle pulled up and the driver phoned someone to help us. And so we returned. The available room was 115 dollar, more then I usually spend but we were tired so we paid anyways. It was a small room with two beds, a tv and airco but none of the remotes worked. The bathroom had no soap and no toilet paper, so I went downstairs to ask for it. The railing of the stairs has a lot of movement to it, and not all steps of the steep stairs are even, so I walked very carefully. I did get toiletpaper and was promised soap would come later. We changed the tv channels by hand and did not use the airco. I like to take a shower before bed so I waited for the soap and went down to ask for it again after half an hour waiting. There was still no soap, it would come later. I fell asleep eventually and left the next morning without meeting any staff. I feel ripped off, for that price I expect a much nicer room and better service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BaBBelize
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

First, let me say DON'T travel the Hummingbird Highway in the dark! It's a dangerous, dark, curvy road with large potholes and no place to move off the road if you need to stop. Plus you would miss the fantastic view of the area that you will see when you travel it during the daylight.
The Macaroni Hill View Hotel is a very comfortable, clean place to stay. The staff was very nice and helpful - even being sure I got something for dinner after I arrived late. The room is simple, but clean and the bed was so comfortable. I had a wonderful breakfast up on the restaurant on the top floor and the view there was incredible. There were many birds flying around the property and adjacent properties, and a pair of green parrots flew back and forth at least a half-dozen times while I was eating. I was sorry to leave after just one night, but my travel plans took me further south into Belize.

Room Tip: Don't miss a chance to go up to the restaurant/bar area - even if you don't eat, go up for t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
La Plata, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our large group stayed at the hotel during our week-long trip. We maybe had the smallest room for four - barely room for the 2 bunk beds and the double bed was shoved against the wall on 3 sides. The photo they show is much more spacious than our room. However, the bed was VERY comfortable, and once they got the batteries replaced in the remote (guess batteries are hard to come by), we had reliable air conditioning. The unit was high on the wall and it did blow cold air across the top bunk, but the gal in that bunk was OK with it. We only had a couple of minor issues - room temperature water for the first few days, so when the hot water did kick in, it was unexpected and I could have injured myself jumping out of it. Also, muddy dog prints in the bathroom showed that the room doors are left open at times during the day and I think that someone hung out in our room since the curtains were propped open to overlook the back, but we loved the puppy and I think there was always someone around so maybe security was not all that bad. The slats in the bunk bed kept falling out (too short) and the gal on the bottom bunk had to adjust herself between sags through the night. We weren't very confident that the top bunk wouldn't fall down onto the bottom, but it never did. The hotel is VERY much nicer than the average homes in the area and I am not going to complain because it was quite a treat to come back after being in the heat all day. The breakfast was served buffet style and was pretty nice. I enjoyed the fresh fruit each day. Bring bug spray, because the common areas are not air conditioned. There are not very many outlets in the room, so you might want to bring an extension cord. They have US-style electrical outlets. The did have free WI-FI that worked. One very good thing was that we could flush the toilet paper and each room had its own bathroom. The towel bar would not stay on the wall. But - the hosts were very friendly and all-in-all, it was MUCH nicer than I expected, since I figured it wouldn't be as good as the average US hotel (though it still wasn't, it was good in the ways that counted most).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

This is the best place in the whole entire world to stay!! They adopt you to be part of their family. They love you, and it has to be the hardest thing in the world to leave. I can see myself staying there every year until I die, I love them and this hotel to death!!! The rooms are always nice and clean, and the food is to die for!!!! You can't get better food anywhere in the world.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

As a solo woman on my first trip to Belize, Macaroni Hill View Hotel was like going to another home. The warmth of the family and staff, made a for an amazing and memorable stay. AnnaMae made the tastiest food, her desserts were fantastic! My room was simple, nice and clean, very comfortable with the AC and ceiling fan. What really was great, were all of the adventures and tours I planned through the hotel, with one of the sons, RJ acting as the driver and planner of everything. Thanks to RJ, I spent a week cavetubing, horseback riding, snorkelling, spelunking, and also listening and learning about Belize and its fantastic people. The entire time, I didn't have to think about a thing, and just had adventures. That's what I call a great vacation! Thank you, Macaroni HIll View Hotel for a friendly, warm visit that I will never forget!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Teena Q
Tigerville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I loved staying at the Macaroni Hill View Hotel this summer in Belize as I served there with Kids Konnect four Jesus. I felt like I was welcomed as part of the ferguson family for a week and didnt want to leave them. I felt like I was home and I cant wait to hopefully be back. Everything was great..the company, food, rooms, etc. I would recommend it to anyone I knew coming to Belize. Thank you for everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pomona
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Macaroni Hill View Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!