“Great Hostel!”

Castle Tam Hostel
Voecklabruck, Austria
“Great Hostel!”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

When we arrived, we loved the atmosphere from the very start!

The hostel is clean, you should take a look around, there are so many things that are so cool :D

We had a private room, very clean, with private bathroom, also very clean, on the 2nd floor, we slept very well (:

There are a lot of, especially young, people from around the world, and as the hostel is in san pedro, where you can find la calle for going out, we went out together.
You can talk to everybody because the whole staff speaks english.
They always try to help you with everything they can (:

I would recommend it for people who want to stay in San Jose for a longer time, then you can really feel the atmosphere (:

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank IsabellaHuber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2012

When my sister and I stayed here, Castle Tam had just opened. Immediately we were greeted by the very friendly owner and his girlfriend. There was a problem with our reservation but they were quick to accommodate us and the problem seemed to disappear. They put us in a freshly painted room, but were kind enough to let my sister (who had arrived sick) sleep in another bed while the room aired out. It is a small cozy house. Cleanliness was average. Two kitchens, both accessible and well stocked with cookware. The people were extremely nice, making our stay a very easy one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The owner is really nice and friendly but overall I was disappointed with this hostel. After days of travel I decided to splurge on a private room for a bit of comfort. However, the bed appeared to be broken and sagged in the middle which was very uncomfortable. The bathroom bin hadn't even been cleaned from the previous guests (and this is quite grim given that you can't flush loo roll...) and the shower basin was full of dead bugs. The kitchen was also really dirty and the utensils were very sticky as they hadn't been cleaned properly (in quite some time it seemed). I prepared food here but really wish I hadn't.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dino_111

Travellers are raving about these San Pedro hotels

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Good hostel, great location (right near the university). Was also happy with the laundry service and the copious amounts of boxed wine that can be found and consumed in the lounge at all times of the day.
And kudos to management for installing curtains around the beds in the public dorms. Finally, some privacy in a hostel dorm!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Healdsburg, California, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hostel is pretty much my home away from home, especially in San Jose. I love Castle Tam. It’s a place where you get what you put in. Super-friendly staff, chilled residents, and fun people to meet — most definitely not a party spot; but, a great place to nurture your hangover. This feature stands out the most for me, they care.

As I’m returning to Costa Rica with my mom this coming Thursday, we are going back. This time, I have a surprise for them.

Before I get into that, I’ll go into detail about Castle Tam and the place itself:

Overall Feel and Cleanliness

Hostel Tam is located right next to Universidad de Costa Rica and less than half a block from all the buses leading to all points of downtown San Jose — the best thing for a traveler who needs to connect to other terminals and go somewhere, haha. Also, there are convienent shops located right on the block; so, one wouldn’t need to cross the street to get something they need quickly — but, there’s a small mall less than a block away for more complex shopping experience.

There is no shortage of food (I think this subject merits its own entry) around the hostel: fast food, restaurants, sodas, pizza, japanese, and God knows what else.

After getting in the gated section of the compound, you’ll see a map painted out in the hallway leading into the hostel pinpointing where you are and all the important stuff that you’d need to know how to get to. The place is like a wee piece of London right in the heart of San Jose. Lovely place and English is the primary language.

Having grown up in the dorms, it has a familiar and welcoming feel to it; however, if you’ve lived a hypersanitized life or have an odd aversion for sharing, this wouldn’t be an ideal place for you. So, if you want the immaculateness that is afforded to operating rooms, I say, get thee to one, then.

On the other hand, clean as it may be (you put in what you get), the hostel has two kitchens, numerous private rooms, and a nice dorm with a lot of bunk beds, and more than three bathrooms in all.

Con agui caliente. Paras todos.

Hostel Perks

The biggest perk of this hostel, for me, is Manuel. He is the manager of the place and really is a personality one could get comfortable with. He sees to it that everyone has their pillows, blankets, be fed, have all the ameneties they need, and laundry (1.500 colones). Hostel Tam wouldn’t be what it is if not for Manuel, really.

Other perks worth noting: on the counters in the lounges and office area are maps of downtown, deals for other hostels, places to go in Costa Rica, Lonely Planet travel guides to all kinds of things in the country (and Cuba, too!), coffee, basic toiletries are available for purchase, bottled water, wifi, computer lab, and more. I’ve had dinner there (700 colones, I believe) and I’ve seen breakfast made/served.

Deaf perks: there’s a computer lab between the dorm and main kitchen; although, none of them have a webcam for video chatting. Despair not, though, I’ve decided to bring one and have one of the computers set up for that and then leave it with them for the rest of the signing backpackers who wants to stop by in San Jose sometimes in the future. I’ll write an entry expanding more on this idea.

For those who want to inquire more about this place, feel free to do so in the comments area. I’ll try my best to answer all I can answer.

My rating for this hostel

I give it five stars because I’m going to be coming back here whenever I stop at San Jose. Not only that, I’m encouraging people to come here as well; so, anything less would be an insult. Pricewise, I think it’s a steal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Chose this hostel after staying a night in a different hostel nearby that was substantially more expensive. I enjoyed my time here; the amenities are above standards and considering this is essentially the cheapest hostel around, it's really hard to argue with it. I stayed for a total of more than 3 weeks in the dorm and felt comfortable and welcomed throughout my time here. If I came back to San Jose in the future, I'd defichoose to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
Toronto
Reviewed 29 April 2012

While getting to know Costa Rica I recently spent over a month using Castle Tam as my center of operations for excursions to the various regions of the country. I chose Castle Tam because it had a lot of advantages over other hostels — quiet residential area, near the university but close to everything too, good access to transportation. They will even pick you up at the airport. My stay at Castle Tam was most comfortable. They supplied towels and bedding, and there was lots of hot water. They had Internet & wifi, two kitchens, laundry facilities, a TV lounge, and a bar. I also liked the the fact that they had a range of accommodations — from dorms to private rooms (with or without a bath and/or TV) — and both short- and long-term rates. What really sold me though was the staff. They were not only laid back and friendly, but took a personal interest in making sure you were comfortable and that your needs were taken care of. They will gladly help with everything from accommodations and travel arrangements around the country and beyond, to a more local orientation to restaurants, shopping, entertainment, transportation and sightseeing. I really couldn’t find any negatives…Certainly, you could easily spend a lot more elsewhere and get a lot less. Bottom line — Castle Tam is a clean, safe, friendly, no-b.s. inexpensive place to stay in San Jose, with the lowest agony factor in town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
#56 of 76 in San Jose
Casa Areka
Casa Areka
#1 of 7 in San Pedro

Been to Castle Tam Hostel? Share your experiences!