“Excellent place”

Castle Tam Hostel
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
“Excellent place”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

The rooms are clean and nice. There is a shared kitchen with everything you need and a big relaxing area. There are o lot of books about Costa Rica and the owner can always help you with every question. The other guests who are there for a little bit longer are likeable and also helped me with my questions about Costa Rica.

San Pedro is a save and beautiful part of San Jose with a lot of bars and discos. I can recommend this place because of the nice people there and the save and beautiful area!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ithaca, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 February 2013

It just depends on what you were expecting. Yes, it is a little run down, it is a little small, the beds are not super plush -- but it was exactly what my friends and I were looking for. Convenience at a cheap price! And besides, the quirkiness of the place was very enjoyable. If you smoke, you will enjoy the smoking area that has a hammock and a table for you to appreciate the outside weather.

This place even has a kitchen! On our last day, I got a chance to cook my own breakfast because I had to leave before the stipulated time.

I didn't get to use them, but there is a DVD viewing area outside the rooms. A wide selection of DVDs too!

I would say that you would like this place if you are a flexible person who can make do. The people in-charge (Jonathan and his assistant, I think) are very willing to help you arrange for rides or give you directions, even if you don't really see them often around. If you are someone who loves to complain, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Overall, excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Although the hostel is a short bus ride from the center of town it is in a safe area. The staff here are super and have lots of info about activities and give good honest info. The hostel itself is super and easy to live in. Has two kitchens and lots of utensils.I enjoyed my stay here and will certainly return. Full marks.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 10 January 2013

It was an okay stay, but everything was pretty run down, old, beds were really old and rickety as was the bedding. It was not the most friendly and personal atmosphere, way out of town as far as much to do around the San Jose area, you def have to take a bus. Our stuff however was safe, and the front desk was kind to us and helpful, though they were not able to be found most of the time. It was nice that breakfast is included, and the food seemed clean and okay there. The price is super cheap, so I think it's "you get what you pay for".

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janelle C

Travellers are raving about these San Pedro hotels

Reviewed 7 January 2013

This place was so great. Cosy feeling, breakfast and coffee in the morning, not crowded. Plenty of computers and spaces to hang out. Hot showers. And the owner gives immaculate directions from coca cola bus station or the airport to his hostel on his website that helped save the cab ride. San Pedro is outside the city but if you use the busses it's super cheap and a nice safe place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Arrived at Tica Bus Station in San Jose. Called over to hostal & John the owner was very accommodating in that he arranged a taxi for me to his hostal. Arriving at hostel was promtly checked in, given breakfast vouchers for duration of my stay & given a tour of premises.

They have lots of different boarding options and plenty of roomy bathrooms with hot showers! As well as two kitchens! I chose to stay in the dorm where the individual beds have curtains which allow you to have a sense of privacy.

Cant recommend it enough! Muchos gracias para todo Castle Tam!

• Stayed December 2012
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This place was sketchy! The staff was friendly enough- but they only checked us in -we left as soon as the sun came up- so had very little interaction. It does not look like the photos. Yes- these are photos of the location but it does not look this acceptable in real life. You get what you pay for- 11.00 a night. There was barbwire around the property, we were afraid to leave the car parked on the street. We were afraid to sleep on the bed. I slept with my socks, pants, and hoodie on so none of my skin was touching anything. we has a private bathroom, but the wall did not go to the ceiling, so essentially it was like sharing a restroom. I was woken up by another guest using the adjacent shared rest room! This place is not quite my bag of tea - but for a cheap price it is what you get. san jose in general wasn't anything to write home about- get in and out as fast as you can, and avoid it if at all possible. If you have to stay in San Jose for the night. We had to stay in San Jose because our flight arrived so late at night - I wish we would have stayed in a regular airport hotel. This was not a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
#44 of 78 in San Jose
Casa Areka
Casa Areka
#1 of 8 in San Pedro

Been to Castle Tam Hostel? Share your experiences!