Castle Tam Hostel
US$79
US$80
US$77
US$65
Hotel Aranjuez(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$51
US$112
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

The American guys running the hostel were fantastic, they ordered me a taxi for an early departure the following day and were very helpful with advice and directions.

However the "mattress" I had was little more than a paper thin futon, and I could plainly feel the metal bed beneath. The walls were also very thin and I could hear people talking loudly until late into the night (not ideal when I had a 5am wake up).

I opted for this hostel because it was cheaper and in a better area and while I can say the neighborhood was ok (I was out after dark as a lone female) any saving you make on the hostel is lost in taxi fares to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank CountryBumpkin08
Jonathan W, Owner at Castle Tam Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Regarding the statement about any savings attained by staying here are lost in taxi fares, there is a bus stop two blocks from the hostel that will take you downtown for $.50. You can get from the airport to the hostel for $1.50 in bus fares and a 15 minute walk. Detailed directions from the airport and major bus terminals can be found at the hostel website.

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

The hostel looks nice as you walk in but the further you go the more dank it gets!

We were first offered a form in a 6 bed room. When we were shown the room there was hardly space to put our packs down. It was overcrowded. The room was far too small!

We requested a private room and the staff were very accommodating and showed us to our new room which was much bigger and had its own bathroom but it was dirty. The shower curtain had stuff growing on it as did the soap tray. For what we were paying i't was very poor!

The staff were very friendly and helpful!!

You can here everythin that happens throughout the hostel! We could even tell when the room upstairs turned on or off a light

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Daire S
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed in Castle Tam on two sperate occasions whilst passing through San Jose and each time the staff were really helpful(especially Jonathan the manager) and the atmosphere very friendly and lively. Its situated in a really nice neighbourhood and an easy ten minute bus ride from the centre. The breakfast is in a cafe and when i was leaving very early for the airport the next morning before the cafe was open, they gave me eggs. Such a bargain. Great hostel!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Amazingly organized, clean, very friendly, very nice neighborhood! The staff is amazing and ALLWAYS want to help you with anything! Defenetely will stay there again! A very nice surprise in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This is my first review I write and I am simply writing it, because I read one review about this place which is just awfully wrong and doesn't do this place justice.

Castle Tam is a no-nonsense, what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of place. I stayed here for three months and I suppose you have to have been here longer to appreciate the changes in management that Johnathan and his staff have implemented.

I read in some other reviews that alcohol is not allowed to be stored in the fridges. This is for good reason. After four you are allowed to store your alcohol for use during the evening hours (which most of the time is the time we use alcohol right?). I guess people don't realize it doesn't look very accomodating to have drunk guests in your hostel at noon. Furthermore, this rule allows ALL guests to store and preserve their FOOD with room to spare without having to worry about the douches taking up the whole fridge with their alcohol.

Is it the cleanest place in the world? No it is not. And if you are a long term guest, for nine bucks a night, it doesn't have to be. But it sure is clean enough!

What I am amazed about is the service that Jonathan and his staff provided. All one needed to do is ask and they would get it done for you. I guess that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of the staff having to be able to read minds...
The staff takes you out on a Reggae night or to a worldcup football match of Costa Rica, I regarded them more as my friends than as the staff of the Hostel where I was staying at.

The beds are good, value is fantastic, cleanliness is acceptable, location is fantastic and the rooms (as soon as they get the ghost of a former guest out of mine) are comfortable

People need to have realistic expectations and simply need to understand the rules. So yes, your beer will be confiscated and with good reason.

Some of the stoves are malfunctioning, you might encounter the occasional Gecko in your room and yes there is occasional pot smoking during off-hours by one or two of the staff members (yes Kate and others, I will exempt you from earlier generalizations), but this place is an awesome place to stay if you are simply able to relate to the fact that: Yes! We are in Costa Rica where everything malfunctions and where life is not taken as seriously as anywhere else! As soon as you are able to accept this simple fact, you will love Castle Tam!

Leonard Bleeker