“Great atmosphere and great location!”
Review of Castle Tam Hostel

Castle Tam Hostel
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have to say this place was perfect for what I needed while in San Jose (3 nights on the weekend). It is located 2 blocks from a bus to downtown, near the big San Pedro Mall, and right in the heart of the university district of San Pedro. Lots of night life close by but it was peaceful and safe at Castle Tam. The managers were friendly and helpful when I had questions and they went out of there way to make me feel welcome (props to Castle Tam Manager Hassan) and the price was amazing for the area. I met people from many different countries while staying here and was able to form some real friendships. A group of us went to the bars right across the street from the university of costa rica. If you are looking for budget prices in a great area, go here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is my second time staying at Castle Tam, and I still recommend it to anyone traveling in San Jose/San Pedro. The staff is extremely friendly and the hostel has an overall friendly and welcoming feel to it. My only concern is that the walls are a bit thin and it can get a bit loud. Otherwise, I think it's a great place, and if you need a hostel in the area, this is the best one to go to for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Castletam is conveniently located near the University of Costa Rica in the neighborhood of San Pedro. The staff is welcoming, the other guests are interesting and the area is a nice respite from downtown San Jose. If you are an exchange student or visiting scholar longer term stays are possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I've been staying at Castle Tam for a while now, and have found it to be casual, friendly, secure, and comfortable. The primary virtues are the convenient location and the price which is a couple dollars a night less than the local competition. The staff are very helpful when assistance is requested and my private room is small but very comfortable for me. The hostel usually has several experienced longer term visitors/residents who can be very helpful when setting a Costa Rica travel itinerary.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I wasn't going to write this review but I just can't stand the thought of other backpackers wasting their time and money on this place. You will be disappointed with this hostel. Yes, it is cheap and yes it is in a decent location, but that just isn't enough to overlook the 2 hand-to-hand transactions that took place outside my window and the seemingly endless search and acquisition of 'party favors' by staff and guests. The pillows were nasty, yellow and stained. Although the bed was comfortable to sleep on I just couldn't relax surrounded by the filth. Moldy shower curtain, whatever was growing in the soap dish (how hard is it to clean a soap dish?), the windows hadn't been done for weeks I'm sure. We didn't bother cooking, I just couldn't stomach the idea of keeping my food in that refrigerator. The fella running the front counter was professional enough, but aside from him I really couldn't tell who else worked there. Newly arriving guests were left to stand on the sidewalk and yell for someone to open the gate or, like myself, wait for another guest who was leaving to open the gate for me. What's the point of security if no one is there to control it? I literally walked from room to room looking for someone to greet me without even being questioned. It's a good thing I'm honest. My honest recommendation is to walk 3 minutes down the road to the park and pay the extra money to stay in a decent hostel. You'll see it when you get there. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Safe travels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rob P
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

The American guys running the hostel were fantastic, they ordered me a taxi for an early departure the following day and were very helpful with advice and directions.

However the "mattress" I had was little more than a paper thin futon, and I could plainly feel the metal bed beneath. The walls were also very thin and I could hear people talking loudly until late into the night (not ideal when I had a 5am wake up).

I opted for this hostel because it was cheaper and in a better area and while I can say the neighborhood was ok (I was out after dark as a lone female) any saving you make on the hostel is lost in taxi fares to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank CountryBumpkin08
Jonathan W, Owner at Castle Tam Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Regarding the statement about any savings attained by staying here are lost in taxi fares, there is a bus stop two blocks from the hostel that will take you downtown for $.50. You can get from the airport to the hostel for $1.50 in bus fares and a 15 minute walk. Detailed directions from the airport and major bus terminals can be found at the hostel website.

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

The hostel looks nice as you walk in but the further you go the more dank it gets!

We were first offered a form in a 6 bed room. When we were shown the room there was hardly space to put our packs down. It was overcrowded. The room was far too small!

We requested a private room and the staff were very accommodating and showed us to our new room which was much bigger and had its own bathroom but it was dirty. The shower curtain had stuff growing on it as did the soap tray. For what we were paying i't was very poor!

The staff were very friendly and helpful!!

You can here everythin that happens throughout the hostel! We could even tell when the room upstairs turned on or off a light

• Stayed: July 2013